ADVERTISEMENT

de-commits and transfer thread

I am in the middle on this. Plumb and DeJong are experienced but I don't believe they are near as talented as the younger guys. They played out of necessity.

Richman and Colby are two guys who have played the last two years because they are talented but they have been still young and growing. Next year, the inexperience/youth excuse can't be made - they need to take the next step.

Stephens, Dunker, and Elsbury - this is their first real action and they are 2 FR & a Soph. That tells me they have some talent to and now with a year experience, maybe they can make the jump.

Jones - who knows ... I doubt he will ever be Linderbaum but they must have seen something in him. We have to remember it's his first yr at that position. Optimistically, he makes a big jump and can be at least solid next yr.

Then MAYBE you have both Davidikov and Britt coming back in addition to MAYBE Proctor and Lauck coming in.

I would say ALL of those guys have more talent/potential than Plumb/DeJong.

If 5-6 of those 10 can make jumps and/or pan out, that means the OL could make a jump with what they have in-house.

But agreed the development needs to be there and this will be a very telling year for Barnett. And I am all for adding 1-2 in portal if it is immediate upgrade, even for a year as some of the young guys still come along.
Davidkov is a RS Freshman, and so are Myslinski and Liddle. They're also young and inexperienced. Britt is a Jr who has been injured most of his 3 years. Few if any reps. Are you considering "mental" reps as experience?

This team has a LOT of young, talented, and inexperienced players. One of these years they'll have to be healthy enough to play well as a cohesive unit. It's gotta happen, Ferentz has done it enough times where it's not an if, it's a when. I think next year it all comes together.

Unpopular opinion:

This is the year our coaches need to have ugly conversations with several people on the roster and just go gang buster on best available players from juco/portal.

This

Isn't going to just go away. They need a bunch of new bodies and open competition at every offensive position.
JFC. Even in his state of cognitive decline, there is absolutely no way KF can look at that graph and say “after fully evaluating the coaching staff, I’m bringing back our OC for a 7th year.” No way would any other HC in the history of football beyond H.S. come to that conclusion - in HISTORY!

How many games must a lineman play to get the experience tag? Most have 12, some had 18 give or take. Sure didn’t look it.
Used to be we'd trust the coaching staff to steadily improve the talent of our offensive line: another year of experience would equate to a 20% improvement in performance. Not so anymore; either we have horrible talent in the OLine or our coaching is completely inept. Could be a bit of both, but our linemen are NOT going to automatically get better with another year under their belts.

Used to be we'd trust the coaching staff to steadily improve the talent of our offensive line: another year of experience would equate to a 20% improvement in performance. Not so anymore; either we have horrible talent in the OLine or our coaching is completely inept. Could be a bit of both, but our linemen are NOT going to automatically get better with another year under their belts.
I would trust the Coaches evaluations over yours.

Davidkov is a RS Freshman, and so are Myslinski and Liddle. They're also young and inexperienced. Britt is a Jr who has been injured most of his 3 years. Few if any reps. Are you considering "mental" reps as experience?

This team has a LOT of young, talented, and inexperienced players. One of these years they'll have to be healthy enough to play well as a cohesive unit. It's gotta happen, Ferentz has done it enough times where it's not an if, it's a when. I think next year it all comes together.
Right ... you know that I am for the most part echoing what you are saying?

I saw something on Twitter from Roberts but it was very vague and honestly couldn't tell if it was a good or bad thing that he posted. I think the only way he doesn't return if he just feels like he's put in his time and ready to get on with life.

I think Hall is going to make a big step. It was probably good for him (not the team/fans :)) to be thrown into the mix like that and be able to use that for his growth this coming year.

PP must think highly of him to put him in that spot as a True Fr.
Agree on Hall. He was not set up for success that last game. Wasn’t Moss getting burnt early on in his career too?

Reactions: owenhawk
Agree on Hall. He was not set up for success that last game. Wasn’t Moss getting burnt early on in his career too?
I mean, most True FR CB's aren't going to be ready and Hall wasn't really expecting to be in that position. If Dejean, Harris, and Roberts don't get hurt, Hall would have probably been redshirt and not seen the field at all.

The fact that PP even had him in consideration means he thinks highly of him.

Most of the 2002 line were 5th year seniors. THAT'S experience.
I am really tired of the O line is to young excuse. This is potentially the worst O line in college football. You do not see other programs struggle like this when they have to replace their linemen. Based on your F'd up logic we should have a decent O line once every four years. Hell it was Colbys second year starting, DeJong and Plumb have been here forever. Our O line has gone from being called the bullies of the big ten to being called soft and underwhelming. Our opponents words not mine.

I am really tired of the O line is to young excuse. This is potentially the worst O line in college football. You do not see other programs struggle like this when they have to replace their linemen. Based on your F'd up logic we should have a decent O line once every four years. Hell it was Colbys second year starting, DeJong and Plumb have been here forever. Our O line has gone from being called the bullies of the big ten to being called soft and underwhelming. Our opponents words not mine.
They are young and inexperienced overall. Plumb and DeJong just aren't very good and they were the only experienced guys.

Keep in mind the last few years Iowa "assumed" they were going to have Kallenberger, Ince, Britt, and likely Davidikov (plus no one could have projected just how dominant Linderbaum would be that he could leave early at a position that is rarely a 1st round pick). At a school that thrives on building and developing players - especially positions like OL - over a few years, they instead have been forced to play Colby, Richman, Stephens, etc. probably earlier than they were ready.

That being said, there is not excuse next year. These guys will be moving into mostly at least 3rd year in program and will have real-game experience. They have to make that jump.

I know RB is fairly deep, but Arlen Harris Jr, who Iowa was in on originally, would be. HR with Ka Johnson.

No kidding, he's a 4 star that likes Iowa City and visited numerous times, would make sense and you have to make room for someone like that is possible.
If looking at who is following who on twitter, there isn't any indication that Iowa is after him, unfortunately. I'm assuming he heads to mizzou or Illinois

How many games must a lineman play to get the experience tag? Most have 12, some had 18 give or take. Sure didn’t look it.
Kirk considers them 'young' until they are seniors, preferably 5th year seniors.

The timing of this all looks problematic. Kirk won't make his end of year evaluation until after the bowl so he will figure that out in January. If (IF) he moves on from Brian (not sure how he does that while saving face) he wouldn't have someone in place until close to Feb. Will those QBs/WRs be off the table by then?
If no changes are made/minimal changes are made would any QBs/WRs want to come here?

Just not sure how they navigate through this.

Our top pass catcher was our TE at 85th in the country. A top WR looks at that (and the fact no other Iowa receiver was in the top 200 for receptions per game) and they chuckle and move on.

Unless Iowa makes an announcement that wholesale changes are coming to the offense, I don't see Iowa getting many (top transfer) skill guys, let alone average ones.

The timing of this all looks problematic. Kirk won't make his end of year evaluation until after the bowl so he will figure that out in January. If (IF) he moves on from Brian (not sure how he does that while saving face) he wouldn't have someone in place until close to Feb. Will those QBs/WRs be off the table by then?
If no changes are made/minimal changes are made would any QBs/WRs want to come here?

Just not sure how they navigate through this.
I was thinking the same thing. The transfer portal opens for 45 days starting Dec 5th. Waiting until the end of the year and Kirk doing these evaluations pushes us to the end of December or early January which puts us behind the 8 ball once again in the portal.

If I’m someone in the portal, especially a QB, I would want to know who my QB coach and OC will be. If I am an OL I want to know who my OL coach will be. This is just setting up to be another wasted opportunity due to Kirk not changing his ways

Copeland and Barnes are now following Seth Anderson transfer from Charleston Southern. kid had some pretty decent stats last year

6' freshman
42 catches for 628 yards

Reactions: BigOHawk
Right ... you know that I am for the most part echoing what you are saying?
Sort of, but I think it's been worse than either of us thought because of injuries. The 2 upperclassmen who would normally lead the line were not up to the task. Linderbaum leaving early wasn't unexpected but it hurt, a lot. He understood the blocking schemes and really could have helped this young line learn. Plumb and DeJong just aren't leaders. I think (my guess) is that the coaching saw leadership potential in Jones and thought he'd be able to help get the line in shape, but his lack of knowledge about the position and general lack of experience was just too much to overcome.

I am hoping that with another full spring and summer of practice, he'll become that leader.

Yep, Desmond King and Matt Hankins also if I’m not mistaken, we have a tendency to get our freshman CB’s exposed year 1 then they turn into All-Americans later on.

Reactions: owenhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT