ADVERTISEMENT

Defense Secretary Austin orders renaming of military bases with Confederate ties - will cost 62.5 million.

Smallest things? Ok…

There’s the racial aspect, and I can understand why AA citizens might be a little put off by Confederate memorials and place names. But also the rebellion aspect, which, after what we saw a couple years ago, I don’t think we should celebrate or memorialize.
I’m not saying the racist aspect is a small thing. I’m just seeing people being offended more and more these days over the smallest this.

I’m not against them changing the names. I just took it a step further in wondering where this stops.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Wrong they weren't traitors they won. I'm on their side I don't have to view history through a British lens like apparently you do.
I don’t understand your point I guess. They were subjects of the British government and actively rebelled against that government. Relevant definition From Webster, "one who betrays another's trust or is false to an obligation or duty. : one who commits treason."

Conspiring to overthrow or over turn a government is treason. That makes them traitors. You seem to be saying that hindsight removes that distinction. Perhaps we should argue that their actions at the time would be considered traitorous.

I’m aware of it now. I went to Ft Jackson for Basic Training and Ft Lee for AIT. Never crossed my mind,

As far as people being offended by it, there’s a lot of that going around. Not just based and statues. People are finding the smallest things to be offended by. Victims for life, IMO.
LOL, you’ve been black how many days of your life? And, again, the bases are named for traitors and losers.

Reactions: Tom Paris
LOL, you’ve been black how many days of your life? And, again, the bases are named for traitors and losers.
How long have you been black mister faux outraged?

Because I didn’t hear a peep from you about these bases being named after traitors and losers until after the summer of George Floyd.

Last edited:
So if the Confederacy had won they wouldn't be considered traitors?
Our founding fathers broke away from a tyrannical monarch ruling from across the ocean, unfairly taxing without allowing any representation in his government.

The south broke away from an established American government they had full representation in, because they wanted to keep treating other human beings like animals, unfettered and without recourse.

Exactly the same, eh?

According to the commission’s report, Fort Benning will be named Fort Moore; Fort Polk will be renamed Fort Johnson; Fort Bragg will become Fort Liberty; Fort Gordon will become Fort Eisenhower; Fort Hood will become Fort Cavazos; Fort Lee will become Fort Gregg-Adams; Fort Pickett will become Fort Barfoot; Fort Rucker will be renamed to Fort Novosel.

The federally mandated Naming Committee estimated the undertaking to cost as much as $62.5 million, according to Stars and Stripes.

Full article:
Once renamed, probably the BEST move the US Military ever made. But for a treasonist bastard such as you and other MAGAts, I can understand your angst.

Reactions: blhawk
I checked out William Henry Johnson who inspired the new name for Fort Polk. (Where I once spent a year)

He seems like a worthy fellow. He has loads of (posthumous) medals including one from France. (His unit was attached to a French unit during WWI.)

The American Legion Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., son of former United States President Theodore Roosevelt, once referred to Johnson as one of the "five bravest Americans" to have served in World War I.

.... and much more is mentioned on Wikipedia.

Last edited:
Even if you forget that Bragg fought for the confederacy…..he was one of the crappier confederate generals.

His biggest victory was Chickamauga but his army of Tennessee was beefed up by Longstreets corps that was on loan from the Lee’s Northern Virginia Army. Longstreet was arguably the confederates best corps commander leading the confederates most powerful corps.

Anyway, Bragg beat the Army of the Cumberland at Chickamauga but wasted a lot time and failed to follow it up when he could have annihilated the union army. Some historians think that failure was maybe the confederates last real chance at “winning” the civil war. Or least bringing the union to the table.

Longstreet takes his corps back to Virginia and Bragg immediately gets his ass seriously kicked at Chattanooga by Grant which leads to an unending string of ass kickings that ends with the Union rampaging through the south and burning Atlanta ect.

Anyway, Bragg didn’t deserve a base being named after him for reasons besides being a confederate.

He sucked.
84833b68-a355-406b-9366-3b9ed3319f5c_text.gif

I checked out William Henry Johnson who inspired the new name for Fort Polk. (Where I once spent a year)

He seems like a worthy fellow. He has loads of (posthumous) medals including one from France. (His unit was attached to a French unit during WWI.)

The American Legion Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., son of former United States President Theodore Roosevelt, once referred to Johnson as one of the "five bravest Americans" to have served in World War I.

.... and much more is mentioned on Wikopedia.
Tell me more about this “Wikopedia”

How long have you been black mister faux outraged?

Because I didn’t hear a peep from you about these bases being named after traitors and losers until after the summer of George Floyd.

that’s the problem. The right thinks all this started with George Floyd.

George Floyd is what it took for the right (and even a lot of the left) to acknowledge reality.

Walter Scott was shot in in the back by a cop who subsequently planted a weapon on him. It got caught on tape.

now think, is this the first and only time an officer lied on a report? Or the first time caught red handed?

communities have been screaming about these things for generations. It took it happening on video in your living room to believe it.

stop pretending George Floyd was the start and not the straw that broke the camels back.

George Floyd is what it took for the right (and even a lot of the left) to acknowledge reality.

Walter Scott was shot in in the back by a cop who subsequently planted a weapon on him. It got caught on tape.

now think, is this the first and only time an officer lied on a report? Or the first time caught red handed?

communities have been screaming about these things for generations. It took it happening on video in your living room to believe it.

stop pretending George Floyd was the start and not the straw that broke the camels back.

What makes you think the George Floyd death was racially motivated? During the Chauvin trial, can you point out any instances where race was brought up.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk

Of course bad cops have been here for a long time and didn’t start in 2020. Renaming bases and pulling down statues that offended people is relatively new. And please explain why they pull down and destroyed a statue of Lincoln.

This has been a subject of debate for decades. It was gaining momentum, but the murder of George Floyd accelerated the movement. It gave the apologists like Joni Ernst no cover.
To say this only became an issue in 2020 is flat out wrong.

This has been a subject of debate for decades. It was gaining momentum, but the murder of George Floyd accelerated the movement. It gave the apologists like Joni Ernst no cover.
To say this only became an issue in 2020 is flat out wrong.
I said you didn’t peep about it until them

.... and much more is mentioned on Wikopedia.
William Henry Johnson was a member of the Harlem Hellfighters. They were attached to France supposedly because of racism in the military that had nothing to do with the commanding officers. France was happy to have them because they needed men and they were an awesome unit.

What if it was 2 billion? Is there any limit that some of you are not willing to pay?
Who cares? We know the actual cost. Your doubling down on the "cost" non-issue only reinforces how completely full of shit you are.

It's obvious that you really care about and like having US military bases named after traitorous Confederates. Just say it.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Who cares? We know the actual cost. Your doubling down on the "cost" non-issue only reinforces how completely full of shit you are.

It's obvious that you really care about and like having US military bases named after traitorous Confederates. Just say it.

I care.

62.5 million is NOT a non issue for responsible people.

I'd hate to see the credit card statements of HROT leftists.

I care.

No you don't.

You ever say anything about the cost of the Afghanistan war, or the explosion of the debt under Trump? (8 trillion for @markfromj ) But now you are purportedly concerned about a 65 million expenditure to eliminate Confederate traitors' names?

Also, couple questions for you:

You do agree that the Confederate leaders were traitors, right?

And have you finally come around to believing the fake offer of job benefits to the people shipped to Martha’s Vineyard by Perla, a former Army counterintelligence agent, and the DeSantis campaign was a hoax and cruel stunt?

I care.

I'd hate to see the credit card statements of HROT leftists.

lol

62.5mn is .0011% of the govt 5.35 trillion expense.

if your average leftist makes $100k, you’re judging how they spend roughly $1.

I can’t tell if you are 6 years old and just haven’t developed the part of the brain that approaches logic, or if you’re an 80 year old who is so stubborn they refuse to use any part of their brain to learn.

This issue is emblematic of how Trump skillfully stroked grievances and turned everything tribal. Getting a vaccine. Tribal. Taking the names of traitors off military bases. Tribal. Legitimacy of elections if your side lost. Tribal. It was all there bubbling under the surface for him.

You can find threads on this very subject that I participated in if you dig around in the bowels of HROT.
You said bowels. Anyway, go ahead and change them. 65 million is nothing compared to what we spend on other things. Then we can move onto the next problem of many.

No you don't.

You ever say anything about the cost of the Afghanistan war, or the explosion of the debt under Trump? (8 trillion for @markfromj ) But now you are purportedly concerned about a 65 million expenditure to eliminate Confederate traitors' names?

Also, couple questions for you:

And have you finally come around to believing the fake offer of job benefits to the people shipped to Martha’s Vineyard by Perla, a former Army counterintelligence agent, and the DeSantis campaign was a hoax and cruel stunt?

I've criticized the MIC and foreign follies for years. The difference between people like you and I is that I criticize it consistently where as you and your ilk are peace activists while a Republican is in office and then suddenly are on the war path when a Democrat is in office.

I've criticized the MIC and foreign follies for years. The difference between people like you and I is that I criticize it consistently where as you and your ilk are peace activists while a Republican is in office and then suddenly are on the war path when a Democrat is in office.

Sure sure.

People of your ilk demand answers to their questions and refuse to answer questions that make them uncomfortable. See you missed my questions again. Must have been an innocent oversight on your part.

Here you go:

William Henry Johnson was a member of the Harlem Hellfighters. They were attached to France supposedly because of racism in the military that had nothing to do with the commanding officers. France was happy to have them because they needed men and they were an awesome unit.

This might be a little borderline, but it is true to the era. In any event, he did get a little recognition in a 1918 lithograph. His buddy, Robert Needham is in the background:

1280px-Our_Colored_Heroes_%281918%29%2C_by_E.G._Renesch_of_Chicago.jpg

Our Colored Heroes (1918), by E.G. Renesch of Chicago. The "Our Colored Heroes" lithograph, published by E.G. Renesch in 1918, depicts the German raid on then-Pvt. Henry Johnson and Pvt. Robert Needham during World War I. The lithograph quotes Gen. Pershing, who praises the two African American sentries, who "continued fighting after receiving wounds and despite the use of grenades by a superior force." (Image courtesy of the Tennessee State Library and Archives)

...........................................................................................

I am now wondering if his buddy, Pvt. Needham is getting a fort named after him? Why not?

Last edited:
Our founding fathers broke away from a tyrannical monarch ruling from across the ocean, unfairly taxing without allowing any representation in his government.

The south broke away from an established American government they had full representation in, because they wanted to keep treating other human beings like animals, unfettered and without recourse.

Exactly the same, eh?
NOW you're getting it! He made a false equivalency and you completely owned him by calling it out. Perfect reply. Extremely well done.

Reactions: blhawk
I can’t imagine being upset by this. I don’t understand how anyone can object to doing this. It should never have happened in the first place, but let’s correct a past error in order to move forward.

Reactions: RileyHawk
What makes you think the George Floyd death was racially motivated? During the Chauvin trial, can you point out any instances where race was brought up.
There are truly posts that you shouldn't make. This is one of them you goddamn idiot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT