ADVERTISEMENT

Defense Secretary Austin orders renaming of military bases with Confederate ties - will cost 62.5 million.

The founders of the US were traitors, too. Should we go back to British rule?
They fought for freedom and representation. What you're defending is the fight for slavery and oppression. One is virtuous and one is not. Unsurprising that you try to justify the fight for slavery.

They fought for freedom and representation. What you're defending is the fight for slavery and oppression. One is virtuous and one is not. Unsurprising that you try to justify the fight for slavery.
I'm not arguing for that at all. That's your interpretation. And you finish with a blatant lie. I would never try to justify slavery.

BTW, I'm mixed race.

People make statements without thinking them through. My response was to point out the inconsistency of the statement. Most people would understand that. The people in the South at the time of the Civil War thought they were being oppressed. Yes, slavery was the core of the issue, but slavery was common all over the world at that time. It wasn't thought to be universally evil. Even the founders didn't treat slaves as full citizens in the Constitution.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
I'm not arguing for that at all. That's your interpretation. And you finish with a blatant lie. I would never try to justify slavery.

BTW, I'm mixed race.

People make statements without thinking them through. My response was to point out the inconsistency of the statement. Most people would understand that. The people in the South at the time of the Civil War thought they were being oppressed. Yes, slavery was the core of the issue, but slavery was common all over the world at that time. It wasn't thought to be universally evil. Even the founders didn't treat slaves as full citizens in the Constitution.
FFS - we're looking at this all with the benefit of hindsight to judge good vs. evil. You're defending evil as you often do. Murderers often feel "oppressed" it doesn't justify their actions. It's not OK because it was going on elsewhere either. The confederates fought for slavery, pure and simple. In 2022 those that did so should not be honored.

FFS - we're looking at this all with the benefit of hindsight to judge good vs. evil. You're defending evil as you often do. Murderers often feel "oppressed" it doesn't justify their actions. It's not OK because it was going on elsewhere either. The confederates fought for slavery, pure and simple. In 2022 those that did so should not be honored.
Yes. That's exactly right. It's all hindsight. That should be the end of it when we're talking about something that wasn't judged to be universally wrong at that time.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Yes. That's exactly right. It's all hindsight. That should be the end of it when we're talking about something that wasn't judged to be universally wrong at that time.
WTF? No. We don't look back at slavery and Jim Crow and say "well, that's in the past, let's move along". And when I say "we" I mean the non-racists. We look back on those atrocities and promote methods to be sure they don't happen again. It takes longer than it should because people like you have no interest in correcting the issues of the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT