ADVERTISEMENT

Dembele

from the highlights, seems he has a nice midrange game and high release on his shot. doesn't have super athleticism from what i saw but preferred to use a sweeping hook around the basket. which is fine by me, i'd rather see someone who knows how to use the glass and a soft touch to someone who throws down thunder dunks but can't make anything outside of 3 feet. seems to go about his business, no showboating. didn't notice any evidence that he's a glass cleaner and that's my biggest gripe for fran's teams... they usually don't have a reliable, aggressive rebounder.
Ladji averaged 14 rebounds/game last year. I guess he could have averaged more but I think this qualifies as an aggressive rebounder. https://highschoolsports.nj.com/player/ladji-dembele/boysbasketball/season/2021-2022

;)

Ladji just posted to his Instagram story that he is announcing his commitment on Tuesday night at 11pm central. He's deleted all of his instagram posts except for his Iowa and Wake visit photos. Take it for what that is.
11 PM central announcement is an odd time if he is going to commit to Iowa or Wake. Hopefully Iowa finally gets another big. Just odd time.

I think the simple answer is that Fran isn't sure he will be able to count on either Ogundele or Mulvey next year. And as others have noted, P-Mac and Sandfort are not really interior players. It makes sense to bring in another athletic interior option.

Besides that, "evening out the classes" never really works out. It's always better to bring in talent. The scholarships have a way of opening up.
And what have you seen so far that Fran is going to count on this potential recruit in the not so distant future? Has he spent a year at any academy after graduating from high school like Keegan and Kris did?
Don't see very many P5 coaches jumping on his recruiting bandwagon. Not saying he will be project, as a shot in the dark, but Iowa needs a player that will compliment Owen Freeman and not a player that Fran sits on the bench for 90% of the game or longer. Fran just loves him some deep projects doesn't he, he apparently can't help himself.

And what have you seen so far that Fran is going to count on this potential recruit in the not so distant future? Has he spent a year at any academy after graduating from high school like Keegan and Kris did?
Don't see very many P5 coaches jumping on his recruiting bandwagon. Not saying he will be project, as a shot in the dark, but Iowa needs a player that will compliment Owen Freeman and not a player that Fran sits on the bench for 90% of the game or longer. Fran just loves him some deep projects doesn't he, he apparently can't help himself.
Dembele isn't a "project".

We have a gaping hole in next year's team in Filip and *likely* Kris leaving after this year. That's 45+ minutes leaving, and with how JO and Mulvey have looked, I think it's fair to say Dembele likely sees lots of minutes available for the taking. You look at Wake and Rutger's starting lineups, they have Juniors starting at the 4 and 5 with both having freshmen bigs that also are seeing meaningful minutes. If Dembele's camp does their research, they will advise him to go to Iowa and compete for 20+ minutes right away vs likely riding the pine at the other top schools.

Dembele isn't a "project".
Exactly. How one can watch his highlight video and his offers and put him in the same category as Mulvey and Ogundele is beyond me. I would take him on the team this year, he would provide better inside depth than what Iowa has now.

It doesn't mean he'll be a star, not everyone is. Athletic guy who can rebound, block shots, score a couple of ways, yes please.

I don't mind projects/flyers on athletic guys who are learning to play. Olaseni was a great example. Dembele is far more advanced than was Olaseni skill wise, but probably not as athletic. Olaseni ended up being a tremendous player.

Tyler Cook was a 4 star with offers from Kansas, Michigan, and anywhere else he wanted to go. He was also 30 lbs heavier than this kid, who is a zero star without the offer (or does Rutgers count as a basketball powerhouse now?). I get needing to hear some good news on the recruiting front, it’s been ages, but this is a stretch.

Isn't this kid also a 4*?

Reactions: skydog0784
I think the simple answer is that Fran isn't sure he will be able to count on either Ogundele or Mulvey next year. And as others have noted, P-Mac and Sandfort are not really interior players. It makes sense to bring in another athletic interior option.

Besides that, "evening out the classes" never really works out. It's always better to bring in talent. The scholarships have a way of opening up.
I think this is it ... at this point he can't trust either Josh or Mulvey to be starters, much less regular contributors, so he needs to recruit guys that can overatake and/or push them. All the fans want Fran to be less loyal in his playing time and for Iowa to be a big-time program ... well this is what happens in big-time programs. You get recruited over and beat out if you don't step up your game. Josh and Mulvey need to take big steps or they will lose their spots to incoming Freshman and Transfers.

I think this is it ... at this point he can't trust either Josh or Mulvey to be starters, much less regular contributors, so he needs to recruit guys that can overatake and/or push them. All the fans want Fran to be less loyal in his playing time and for Iowa to be a big-time program ... well this is what happens in big-time programs. You get recruited over and beat out if you don't step up your game. Josh and Mulvey need to take big steps or they will lose their spots to incoming Freshman and Transfers.

Ogundele has skills to be a post starter but pretty soon it will be year 4 for him to get into playing shape

Ogundele has skills to be a post starter but pretty soon it will be year 4 for him to get into playing shape
I think he has some of the skills needed ... but like you said, he needs to get in better shape. I am sure at this point, Fran views him and Mulvey as bench/rotation guys at best going forward until they prove otherwise.

I would not be surprised based on what I have heard/seen with Freeman being a multi-talented, high-IQ big man if he doesn't start as a FR taking Kris's spot (assuming he can adjust quickly to he speed/physicality).

Huh? Do you read or just post negative thoughts about Fran? Several other major college coaches have offered... You at least correct that Owen Freeman definitely needs another player to help inside.

We have a gaping hole in next year's team in Filip and *likely* Kris leaving after this year. That's 45+ minutes leaving, and with how JO and Mulvey have looked, I think it's fair to say Dembele likely sees lots of minutes available for the taking. You look at Wake and Rutger's starting lineups, they have Juniors starting at the 4 and 5 with both having freshmen bigs that also are seeing meaningful minutes. If Dembele's camp does their research, they will advise him to go to Iowa and compete for 20+ minutes right away vs likely riding the pine at the other top schools.

Agreed. When you look at the 11 expected Iowa players to return, there's a huge need down low. I am still hoping Ogundele & Mulvey can figure things out.

I also hope Owen Freeman is ready to start.

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen
6'2" PG Ahron Ulis
6'0" PG Brock Harding

6'4" G Tony Perkins
6'5" SG Josh Dix

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery
6'8" F Payton Sandfort
6'7" SF Pryce Sandfort

6"10" C Owen Freeman
6'11" C Josh Ogundele
6'11" C Riley Mulvey

Last edited:
Reactions: MonmouthHawk

Speaking of big time programs, available playing time, and getting recruited over....and damn, if we had landed TJ Power....

Talk about a crazy good class:

Agreed. When you look at the 11 expected Iowa players to return, there's a huge need down low. I am still hoping Ogundele & Mulvey can figure things out.

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen
6'2" PG Ahron Ulis
6'0" PG Brock Harding

6'4" G Tony Perkins
6'5" SG Josh Dix

6'8" F Payton Sandfort
6'7" SF Pryce Sandfort

6"10" C Owen Freeman
6'11" C Josh Ogundele
6'11" C Riley Mulvey

Dembele would be a power forward.

And thats exactly how it should be.

Anyone who has a problem with this offer isn't very bright.

3* versatile forwards are Frans bread and butter, way more hits than misses on these type of offers.

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen
6'2" PG Ahron Ulis
6'0" PG Brock Harding

6'4" G Tony Perkins
6'5" SG Josh Dix

6'8" F Payton Sandfort
6'7" SF Pryce Sandfort

6"10" C Owen Freeman
6'11" C Josh Ogundele
6'11" C Riley Mulvey
I hope the one position that Fran hits hard in the portal - and I know he tried this last year and got Rebraca the year before - is 6-9 to 6-11 type banger who can play Defense/Rebound. I am not worried about the ability to score because a) Fran's teams rarely have that problem and b) will have Perkins, PMac, Sandfort, Bowen, Ulis, and Dix back as veterans with ability to shoot and score from outside and slashing/attacking.

Like you said there appears to be a huge gap in the middle unless Josh and/or Riley make GIANT leaps. I think Freeman will be able to contribute much in the way as Garza/White did as Freshman - at least offensively - but they really look like they will need a tough, physical, big man to step in and start at C/PF.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Yep. Still loaded at 1-3 next year, with nothing certain at 4 or 5, except a talented true freshman and a couple of big guys still searching for playing time on Fran's bench. Dembele has the right skill set to help, but who knows how much he can give us next year. An experienced center in the portal would fill out the roster.

I think he has some of the skills needed ... but like you said, he needs to get in better shape. I am sure at this point, Fran views him and Mulvey as bench/rotation guys at best going forward until they prove otherwise.

I would not be surprised based on what I have heard/seen with Freeman being a multi-talented, high-IQ big man if he doesn't start as a FR taking Kris's spot (assuming he can adjust quickly to he speed/physicality).
^^ This ^^

I'm very high on Freeman making immediate contributions including possibly starting based on the video I've seen of Freeman (and I'm no expert). He really looks good to me. Only concern would be does he have the strength coming in as a FR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT