ADVERTISEMENT

Dembele

I just don't think big 7 footers are the future of college basketball. Its becoming more like the NBA, from what little I know of the NBA. Play a bunch of athletic 6'8"/6'9" guys that can handle the ball, shoot the ball and switch off on defense. We were fine last year without a big guy and I think this year we will be even better.

Purdue has featured true Bigs for past 10 years or so. They have had pretty good B1G success, but so-so NCAA tourney success.

My observation is it takes defense and atheticism and great guard play to advance in NCAA.....having a true Big is not so important. You do need someone that can play post defense/rebound, but he doesn't have to be 6'10.

I'd like to see an Iowa team that gets to sweet16. I don't see ever being able to get a true big that is both skilled on offense and defense simply because those guys are always so highly rated they are bound for blue blood or NBA. I'd rather Fran get a big that is smaller but has some girth for positional defense/rebounding or ability to block shots. The two guys Iowa has right now in Josh and Mulvey only look like situational players..maybe some minutes vs Purdue'a giant, but not much other value unless they show a lot more than what they have so far.

Reactions: onionman1
EO86aG.gif

Dembele is an ideal 5 in Fran’s system (though if his perimeter shot develops could easily take the Keegan/Kris Murray route). Nice bounce, good rebounder, nice back to the basket game, good screener, good midrange game, and should have the athleticism/quickness to provide versatility on defense. Don’t know much about his dribbling skills, but shows some pretty good touch with both hands

He will pair nicely with Freeman as front court guys in the 2023 class. If you include Amarion Nimmers in this class as an athletic scoring guard, you have to be excited about the future of Iowa hoops with some already strong young talent on the team and a potential starting lineup haul of Harding, Nimmers, Sandfort, Dembele/Freeman, Freeman/Dembele

Hopefully more video comes out this winter as Dembele has blown up to become a 4*. Would love to see some more of him than what is currently available

Great land Fran

Dembele is an ideal 5 in Fran’s system (though if his perimeter shot develops could easily take the Keegan/Kris Murray route). Nice bounce, good rebounder, nice back to the basket game, good screener, good midrange game, and should have the athleticism/quickness to provide versatility on defense. Don’t know much about his dribbling skills, but shows some pretty good touch with both hands

He will pair nicely with Freeman as front court guys in the 2023 class. If you include Amarion Nimmers in this class as an athletic scoring guard, you have to be excited about the future of Iowa hoops with some already strong young talent on the team and a potential starting lineup haul of Harding, Nimmers, Sandfort, Dembele/Freeman, Freeman/Dembele

Hopefully more video comes out this winter as Dembele has blown up to become a 4*. Would love to see some more of him than what is currently available

Great land Fran
Yep. I love the ability to play offensively/defensively on the perimeter and still be able to rebound and defend the post.

That is the ideal 5 man in today's game.

Love this commitment.

Dembele, the 93rd overall prospect in the 2023 class according to On3, chose the Hawkeyes over Wake Forest, Rutgers, DePaul, Seton Hall, and others.

He joins four-star wing Pryce Sandfort (No. 91), three-star big man Owen Freeman (No. 163), and three-star point guard Brock Harding (No. 254).

Dembele on his commitment to Iowa​

“I would say the main reason I chose Iowa was that I watched how they let their bigs make plays as long as you don’t turn it over,” Dembele says. “That was one of the main reasons I chose Iowa. Coach McCaffery came to see me and when I went I on a visit, he was the one showing me the campus and we had a great talk. There is like six seniors leaving next year so I know I’ll be able to play when I get there.”

What type of player is Iowa getting in Ladji Dembele and what message does he have for the fans?

“I’m a dog and I’m a winner,” he says. “I will do whatever I have to to accomplish that.”

Scouting Summary​

Ladji Dembele is a strong forward with long arms. He has a strong base with great balance. Dembele can handle the ball in the open floor and plays within himself. He is a very strong rebounder. Lateral quickness while defending will be a question. He is a strong area rebounder. He can knock down a catch and shoot three with consistency. Dembele competes on both ends and makes plays, does a lot of the little things. – On3’s Jamie Shaw

Now at 6’ 9” and 250. B1G body already.

One stat from his junior year that stands out to me ... he had six games in a row with at least 15 rebounds and several double doubles. This is against some excellent competition by the way.

Last edited:
Having face up skills at this point in his development is a big deal. At his size he will make noise down low. No doubt needs to improve his defense but what a package to work with. We got a good one here.

Dembele may be a perfect fit for the Hawks the next few years. Big physical kid who already has a B1G body. Nobody is going to be pushing this guy around.
I really like both of the big guys in the 2023 class, and we desperately need them, because the cupboard looks pretty bare, after Kris and Rebraca are gone. I think both will be major contributors, but true freshmen bigs usually struggle. I know there are some who still believe JoshO and Mulvey can be the answer, but I am not convinced either can be more than a back up for short spurts. I am not sure both will even be on the team next year. I will be surprised if Fran doesn't push hard to get an experienced big in the transfer portal.

I really like both of the big guys in the 2023 class, and we desperately need them, because the cupboard looks pretty bare, after Kris and Rebraca are gone. I think both will be major contributors, but true freshmen bigs usually struggle. I know there are some who still believe JoshO and Mulvey can be the answer, but I am not convinced either can be more than a back up for short spurts. I am not sure both will even be on the team next year. I will be surprised if Fran doesn't push hard to get an experienced big in the transfer portal.
Those have been my thoughts, too. Spread the scholarship distribution out some, too. I hate 5-player classes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT