ADVERTISEMENT

Democracy will die if the electoral college isn t abandoned

200w.gif

Reactions: Moral
Not sure why it should be, given that the rules are very clear going in. Usually the rule set tends to set what expectations are reasonable.

Congratulations on California, NY, and Illinois though. A nice base of electoral votes to start from.
It's probably because of the style of government and the ability for reform to take place. It seems like you're saying, well that's the way it is, which I don't see anyone arguing against. The discussion seems to be about there being a different way in the future.

Reactions: Moral
It's probably because of the style of government and the ability for reform to take place. It seems like you're saying, well that's the way it is, which I don't see anyone arguing against. The discussion seems to be about there being a different way in the future.
it is the way it is, but the reality is that it's typically driven less by principle than not liking a particular (recent) outcome. FWIW, each of our current "sides" actually 'benefit' from a relatively equal number of 'overrepresented' states.

It might be outdated, but democracy won't die. That's like saying the NFL will die because of stupid overtime rules. Democracy might die for other reasons though if the MAGAts have their way.
Someone else isn’t paying attention to what Republicans are trying to do.

it is the way it is, but the reality is that it's typically driven less by principle than not liking a particular (recent) outcome. FWIW, each of our current "sides" actually 'benefit' from a relatively equal number of 'overrepresented' states.

You won't believe me, but my thoughts on the process needing an update has a lot more to do with having a more accurate representation of what all voters want, not a system that benefits my situation. Like I stated earlier, my instincts tell me that it would eventually be more beneficial to the party I don't typically vote for.

With dems winning popular vote every yr. This isn t sustainable for Republicans. The rich are trying to squeeze a couple more cycles before the dam breaks. We are basically a dictatorship now with minority rule and Supreme courts being crazy right leaning. There are what 6 states that decide the election now. Let's make it equal for all. One vote counts the same in all states. VOTE THE HATERS OUT.
Democracy is already dead. Democrats preemptively killed it trying to “save” it.

• Haha
Reactions: TC Nole OX
The Electoral College should remain as long as Republicans aren't allowed to continue to gerrymander districts. How this blatant cheating to steal votes has been allowed under our noses is reprehensible.
Both parties are guilty of doing the same crap.

With dems winning popular vote every yr. This isn t sustainable for Republicans. The rich are trying to squeeze a couple more cycles before the dam breaks. We are basically a dictatorship now with minority rule and Supreme courts being crazy right leaning. There are what 6 states that decide the election now. Let's make it equal for all. One vote counts the same in all states. VOTE THE HATERS OUT.
You should audition for your own late night show, you've a great sense of humor.

Please the EC only protects minority rule. It allows far right extremists from the most rural parts of the country to over-rule the center and the left.

How us the number of electors for each state determined? I mean do the yokels in the rural areas have the same number if electors from their state as the enlightend from civil society in California or New York?

Weird....it's almost as if more heavily populated states have more electors.

The Dimms are getting worried I see. Next we'll hear how Russia is planning to interfere with our election again.

Yeah I sort of in this camp. The electoral college is an extremely outdated system, pretty much no one else uses anything like it to elect their executive branch. We strongly need to update our systems to reflect the views of the voters.

That said it's not the end of democracy if it remains it just is something that causes the government to be more and more disconnected from the will of the voters.

I'm of the opinion that the best government is the one that is most connected to the will of the voters. Perfect connection is impossible, we can't have a referrendum on every law, every budget. But any time there is a law or proposal that polls 70%+ from the voters but can not seem to pass congress or even be considered in congress it indicates a big disconnect from the voters and thus bad government.

And honestly I don't give a damn about the founders or what they intended. They are dead, this is our country now, we're the ones who have to live in it. The founders also intended this to be a country that only white people rule in and black people were enslaved and that was a dumb as shit idea and not to mention inhumane idea. So I reject the idea that the founders were uber geniuses that knew what was best for the country 250 years in the future.
It will never be changed. A 2/3 majority and 3/4 of state legislatures is required to change the rules and politics is all about maintaining power regardless of whether it's in the long term best interests of the country.

A Republican president can't get elected by a majority vote. The Senate is in the same place today with Cows and Pigs having a bigger say in the constitution of that body than people do.

Reactions: WDSMHAWK
I’m very glad you teach PE.
Here you go again with a shot at the job. At least I didn’t vote for a drug addled rapist conman, twice. That makes me smarter than you. The comedy is many of us told you about Trump 8 years ago. You argued then. Now you realize, 8 years later how shitty he is YET STILL, you want to argue and shit talk those of us who have been right all along. Maybe realize we continue to be correct about all this, learn and figure it out, or STFU. Low hanging fruit attack. I guess it really isn’t beneath you.

So that's the end of democracy? Huh.
It could have been. Can you imagine the response of the 70 million Trump supporters if Democrats took away their right to vote for their guy in that way?

You guys are so afraid of democracy dying that you’re willing to kill it in order to save it?

Putin kills his opponents to keep them off the ballot. At least you don’t do that, but what you do is illegal and you refuse to acknowledge it.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris and chonk
It could have been. Can you imagine the response of the 70 million Trump supporters if Democrats took away their right to vote for their guy in that way?

You guys are so afraid of democracy dying that you’re willing to kill it in order to save it?

Putin kills his opponents to keep them off the ballot. At least you don’t do that, but what you do is illegal and you refuse to acknowledge it.
You're a f@cking moron. I live in Iowa and vote, that's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

When did you give in to your delusions?

Reactions: Tom Paris
Jan is getting more insane by the year…or shoving his head deeper into the sand.
What’s insane is the lengths your party goes to, illegally, to keep this guy off the ballot. You don’t even understand the consequences of your actions, and you have the nerve to call someone that points it out, insane? You’re the one that’s gone off the deep end in recent years.

What’s insane is the lengths your party goes to, illegally, to keep this guy off the ballot. You don’t even understand the consequences of your actions, and you have the nerve to call someone that points it out, insane? You’re the one that’s gone off the deep end in recent years.

You sound insane.

Here you go again with a shot at the job. At least I didn’t vote for a drug addled rapist conman, twice. That makes me smarter than you. The comedy is many of us told you about Trump 8 years ago. You argued then. Now you realize, 8 years later how shitty he is YET STILL, you want to argue and shit talk those of us who have been right all along. Maybe realize we continue to be correct about all this, learn and figure it out, or STFU. Low hanging fruit attack. I guess it really isn’t beneath you.
Believing your own opinions doesn’t make you right. You thinking that Trump is shitty doesn’t mean it is right. What exactly are all of you correct about?

Says the guy that blindly supports a party that illegally tried to remove a candidate from state ballots. Forgive me if I don’t put much weight into what you say.

Do you ever offer any of your own opinions or are you content with being a cantankerous @sshole that likes to tell people what they think?

This petty sh!t happens literally every time I've asked you a question on this site.

That sh!t smell that follows you, it's your shoe man.

Dumbs be dumb.

Believing your own opinions doesn’t make you right. You thinking that Trump is shitty doesn’t mean it is right. What exactly are all of you correct about?
I’m no Trump fan at all. I wish they could have indicated and convicted him of insurrection so he couldn’t get on the ballot. I’ll never vote for him, but doing what many of the states tried to do was just wrong. Democracy be damned.

• Haha
Do you ever offer any of your own opinions or are you content with being a cantankerous @sshole that likes to tell people what they think?

This petty sh!t happens literally every time I've asked you a question on this site.

That sh!t smell that follows you, it's your shoe man.
It’s Friday and you’ve obviously been drinking. I’ll let you sober up and we can continue tomorrow. Enjoy.

I've wasted enough energy with you already. Best of luck with whatever it is you are about.
That’s too bad. I was hoping I could get you to see how wrong states like Colorado were. I guess you can continue supporting that illegal activity. Also, read post # 155.

• Haha
Oh good God. Yes the couple attempts THAT EVEN BOARD LIBS DISAGREED WITH, is exactly the same as everything that has taken place since Trump lost the election. By Trump, his minions, and cult members. So very much the same thing. 🙄Wtf happened to you??

Oh good God. Yes the couple attempts THAT EVEN BOARD LIBS DISAGREED WITH, is exactly the same as everything that has taken place since Trump lost the election. By Trump, his minions, and cult members. So very much the same thing. 🙄Wtf happened to you??
So now you are downplaying what took place…nothing to see here since it got rejected I guess.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT