ADVERTISEMENT

Depression and anxiety are real

Had both since 2004. Lorazepam 1mg has helped. Better alternative than when I would have to have a couple drinks just to leave the house (cost me my job). Mine hits me the worst when the seasons change.

Reactions: Herkmeister
I finally went to the doctor around May of this year. Posted about it on here at the time. Zoloft seemed to help quite a bit. I also went to a therapist. He thinks he helped but I think it was mostly the medicine.

I think I probably should have went about 10 years ago.
Zoloft is good stuff.

Several years ago I found myself driving home from work crying. It's hard to explain. During the drive, my brain would wander and then I would start visualizing me being at one of my kid's funerals or some other traumatic event. This would put me into tears, heck sometimes sobbing. At the time I never put much thought into it, just thought I was being stupid.

A few months later I was at a Dr visit. Not sure how it got brought up but I mentioned these crying episodes. I'm not even sure what the hell I had/have, but I was put on a pill and these episodes have stopped.

Had a friend commit suicide a few years ago, married with kids. Doctor changed his depression meds, that's all it took.

I take mental illness (or whatever you call it) very serious, it is SO COMMON. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Long story short -- I've always been a worrier. My colleague and I opened our own law firm last year and it has been better than we imagined. Healthy book of business, making good money, etc. Still that doesn't rest my fears that everything could be taken away at the drop of a hat.

I had a week long binding arbitration last week in Phoenix against a major Arizona law firm. The week or so leading up to the arbitration I started getting fidgety and trouble sleeping. Manifested itself during the arbitration to the point I could not sleep and was experiencing anxiety like I had never done before. Didn't affect my performance, and I think we will get a favorable result.

However, this wave of anxiety and depression really scared me. I have always been a guy who thought that anxiety and depression were a sign of weakness, and was really thrown for a loop by the whole ordeal. Looking into getting professional help. Sorry for the rant - just needed to get this off my chest.

I'm not a poster. I'm just a Lurker, however, I feel compelled to respond to your post.

If you do these 5 things daily, I can give you overwhelming odds that you will conquer your anxiety and depression within a couple months.

1.) Read the classic self-help book "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns. It's the basis of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Your negative thoughts are making you anxious and depressed. Learn to talk back to your negative thoughts with more realistic ones. If the book doesn't help, get a Cognitive Behavioral therapist psychologist.

2.) Meditate. When you're laying in bed and your mind is racing, focus on your breath. Count your breaths from 1 to 5 and then start over again. Your mind will wander and gently bring it back to your breath. Do this over and over again. It will change your brain. You can also take a meditation class somewhere in your area or you can take one online for free.

https://palousemindfulness.com/

3.) Practice a religion and pray. Become Catholic. If you don't want to be Catholic, I'm sorry...choose another religion.

4.) Exercise everyday. Try to do at least 30 minutes a day. Something you like that will make you sweat.

5.) Live in the present moment. When your mind wanders and you think about the past or the future gently bring it back to the present moment. After a few weeks of this, you'll start to notice things around you that you never did like birds flying because your brain will change.

Do these 5 things every day before you see a doctor and they put you on meds. If you do these 5 things daily or almost daily, I can pretty much guarantee you're going to feel a lot better soon.

Good luck and God bless.

I'm not a poster. I'm just a Lurker, however, I feel compelled to respond to your post.

If you do these 5 things daily, I can give you overwhelming odds that you will conquer your anxiety and depression within a couple months.

1.) Read the classic self-help book "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns. It's the basis of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Your negative thoughts are making you anxious and depressed. Learn to talk back to your negative thoughts with more realistic ones. If the book doesn't help, get a Cognitive behavioral therapist psychologist.

2.) Meditate. When you're laying in bed and your mind is racing, focus on your breath. Count your breaths from 1 to 5 and then start over again. Your mind will wander and gently bring it back to your breath. Do this over and over again. It will change your brain. You can also take a meditation class somewhere in your area or you can take one online for free.

3.) Practice a religion and pray. Become Catholic. If you don't want to be Catholic, I'm sorry...choose another religion.

4.) Exercise everyday. Try to do at least 30 minutes a day. Something you like then that will make you sweat.

5.) Live in the present moment. When your mind wanders and you think about the past or the future gently bring it back to the present moment. After a few weeks of this, you'll start to notice things around you that you never did like birds flying.

Do these 5 things every day before you see a doctor and they put you on meds. If you do these 5 things daily or almost daily, I can pretty much guarantee you're going to feel a lot better soon.

Good luck and God bless.

giphy.gif

1.) Read the classic self-help book "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns. It's the basis of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Your negative thoughts are making you anxious and depressed. Learn to talk back to your negative thoughts with more realistic ones. If the book doesn't help, get a Cognitive Behavioral therapist psychologist.

4.) Exercise everyday. Try to do at least 30 minutes a day. Something you like that will make you sweat.

5.) Live in the present moment. When your mind wanders and you think about the past or the future gently bring it back to the present moment. After a few weeks of this, you'll start to notice things around you that you never did like birds flying because your brain will change.

Good luck and God bless.

So Lurker turns out to be a Catholic Hindu god like poster......interesting

Good luck and God bless.

I think your advice is excellent.

And it's so nice to hear from you. :)

Sure they are. You just gotta get creative. That challenge alone will reduce depression and anxiety.
Marijuana can help with anxiety, but it most certainly is not a good option to treat depression for most people, and in fact can exacerbate depression symptoms. Weed is simply a way to self-medicate - forget about your problems for awhile. For someone with clinical depression....not a wise move.

Reactions: Lurker1999

Good luck and God bless.
While any and all of these practices might help your depression/anxiety, they also might not help. Anyone who claims to know how to cure depression is full of shit. Be very careful how you dispense advice, and if you are depressed, research any advice you are given.

Everyone's depression is different. It's impossible to quantify or compare. If you are suffering, get help. Try lots of different things. Seeing a doctor is the most important step. Maybe a med will help, maybe it won't. You might have to try several different meds before you feel better. If you know someone who is depressed, be there for them, but don't act like you have all the answers, because you don't. I can't tell you how many well-meaning people have offered definitive advice. Most of the time they have no idea what I'm dealing with. They have traveled just a few feet in my journey, while I have gone millions of miles, so I doubt there is anything anyone can tell me that I haven't already considered.

Be there for people. But also understand that many depressed people don't want to be a burden. Thanksgiving of last year I was *this close* to killing myself. Even wrote emails that I didn't send. Changed my mind at the last minute. Didn't tell anyone, including my therapist, for several months. Didn't want people to worry. Stupid, right? But that's the thinking of a sick mind.

Good luck and God bless.

David Burns owes you a thank you card at minimum.

Good luck and God bless.
I agree with BrianNole on this. I might add...avoid a psychiatrist. He's trained to pull out a script pad. See a psychologist instead.

In public, perceptions of what you want people to think of you are everything. Unfortunately, we are human. I know what you are going thru as I have experienced this myself for many years and with depression and anxiety common in my family and relatives, it is very real. Getting help is the right direction and learning to manage your feelings thru counseling and meditation goes a long way in helping improve your well being and medical treatment if necessary. Mental wellness is something that needs more of the spotlight then what some celebrity {who has mental issues} had for breakfast.

Eat clean and challenge yourself physically. Dont drink. Practice meditation. Not really that difficult. Most of us barely exercise and eat like shit and think thats normal.

Long story short -- I've always been a worrier. My colleague and I opened our own law firm last year and it has been better than we imagined. Healthy book of business, making good money, etc. Still that doesn't rest my fears that everything could be taken away at the drop of a hat.

I had a week long binding arbitration last week in Phoenix against a major Arizona law firm. The week or so leading up to the arbitration I started getting fidgety and trouble sleeping. Manifested itself during the arbitration to the point I could not sleep and was experiencing anxiety like I had never done before. Didn't affect my performance, and I think we will get a favorable result.

However, this wave of anxiety and depression really scared me. I have always been a guy who thought that anxiety and depression were a sign of weakness, and was really thrown for a loop by the whole ordeal. Looking into getting professional help. Sorry for the rant - just needed to get this off my chest.

Dave - while you're sorting though all this - and, in fact for the rest of your legal career - make sure you manage your calendar. Spread things out and don't overbook yourself. Leave breaks in your work schedule for personal time and as a buffer against emergencies. Don't let anyone, including a judge, push you into a scheduling disaster. If you need to continue or reschedule something, don't wait until the last minute. I've filed motions to continue up to two months in advance because my schedule was crowding up around the court date. Judges appreciate not having things dropped on them at the last moment and will look kindly on you for having your shit together. Speak up and protect yourself - this is your life and you are the boss.

Trazodone is a lovely antidepressant. Helps with nighttime anxiety and provides a restful night’s sleep.

Knowing steps isnt. Actually having self discipline and not being a sorry sack of shit, much more difficult.

Forgot sleep 7-9 hours and drink water a lot
Well, you've got the sack of shit part mastered. Someday when someone you know commits suicide, know that your lack of empathy likely pushed them toward that end. Hopefully, you grow up before that happens.

I had social anxiety bad when I was younger but pretty much grew out of it by my mid 20s or so. I was in a somewhat unique situation and just had to learn how to be confident.

I ran into another situation within the last couple years where I felt anxiety creeping into my life so I took an honest look at it. I ended up switching jobs and the problem was solved. I think career induced stress can really sneak up on you. I really didn’t want to treat with medication despite a family history of depression, but I think it’s necessary for a lot of people.

Ive read that social media has exacerbated the problem in society. Everyone only sees the best of everyone on a daily basis and they start to feel inadequate. I am not really active enough on Facebook or IG to experience this but I can totally believe it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT