ADVERTISEMENT

Des Moines storm (also some Iowa towns of less importance with worse pizza)

no fair. We are also near Jordan Creek and ours has been out almost since the storm started. Thankfully I had just finished my last court for the day. Guess I have to take a nap until the internet works again.

That sucks! Hope it's on soon for ya.

We had about 5 minutes of very heavy winds and rain in CB, power flashed off for about 30 seconds, then it was all gone.

Here's a list from the city of ankeny as to what has happened so far:

ANKENY ROAD CLOSURES & STORM UPDATES:

• SE 3rd and Sharon
  • SE Lawrence and Sharon
  • SW Westview and Magazine
  • NW Georgetown and Ash Drive
  • NW 10th and State Street
  • Down electric pole at First and Scott Street
  • 3600 block of SE Delaware blocked
  • Pleasant south of First Street
  • School Street, south of First Street
  • Fire at SW Westlawn
  • Ash at First Street is completely blocked
  • 1000 block of SW Kenworthy
  • overturned semi on I-35 near Oralabor
  • Light and tree down at Lynn and Kenworthy, Des Moines Streets
  • Stop signs blown over at NE 49th at Ankeny and 114th at Ankeny
  • Northbound lanes blocked at South Ankeny Blvd and Ordnance Road
  • NE 5th and Grant Street blocked
  • NW Ash and Prairie Ridge blocked
  • Downed power lines, road blocked at SW Ordnance and State Street
  • No traffic lights at First and Trilein or Ankeny Blvd and Magazine
30 minutes later:

• power lines down 1000 block of NW 3rd
  • power lines down 500 block of SW Des Moines Street
  • power lines down 800 block SE Cortina
  • power lines down 900 block of SE 2nd
  • 2900 block of NW 9th
  • 96th Ave.
  • north end of SW Goodwin
  • SW Elm Street near Holy Trinity Lutheran
  • SE 7th & Sharon
  • SE 3rd and Sharon
  • SE Lawrence and Sharon
  • SE Trilein and SE 7th
  • SW Westview and Magazine
  • NW Georgetown and Ash Drive
  • NW 10th and State Street
  • NE Stoneridge near Crestmore
  • SE Uehlamar at Delaware
  • 1200 block of SE Belmont
  • NW Sharmin and NE 5th
  • Down electric pole at First and Scott Street
  • 3600 block of SE Delaware blocked
  • Pleasant south of First Street
  • School Street, south of First Street
  • Fire at SW Westlawn
  • Ash at First Street is completely blocked
  • 1000 block of SW Kenworthy
  • overturned semi on I-35 near Oralabor
  • Light and tree down at Lynn and Kenworthy, Des Moines Streets
  • Stop signs blown over at NE 49th at Ankeny and 114th at Ankeny
  • Northbound lanes blocked at South Ankeny Blvd and Ordnance Road
  • NE 5th and Grant Street blocked
  • NW Ash and Prairie Ridge blocked
  • Downed power lines, road blocked at SW Ordnance and State Street
  • No traffic lights at First and Trilein or Ankeny Blvd and Magazine
  • SE East Lawn

My in-laws in Ankeny got hammered. Multiple trees down in their yard, one of which fell on the neighbors house.

Get ready eastern iowa

ZHyHJuo.jpg
It looks like it dies out about the time it gets to the QC. Our weather bubble is alive and well!

Reactions: Rudolph and torbee
Why have I never heard the term derecho before today?
Yes. Derecho hit the Boundary Waters years ago. Thousands if not millions of trees blown over. Canoers killed/injured/ stranded. Overhead pics made trees look like matchsticks dumped everywhere. It was a big thing in Northern Minnesota/Southern Canada.

Yes. Derecho hit the Boundary Waters years ago. Thousands if not millions of trees blown over. Canoers killed/injured/ stranded. Overhead pics made trees look like matchsticks dumped everywhere. It was a big thing in Northern Minnesota/Southern Canada.
I've heard of tornadoes, hurricanes, typhoons, funnel clouds, etc. Never came across the term derecho before and I wish I never had. F*cked up my fence, hot tub, trees, and bunch of other stuff just on my property. Sounds like the entire middle section of the state of Iowa is getting dick slapped.

Reactions: ghost80
Why have I never heard the term derecho before today?
Your not alone...

Derechos differ to tornadoes in scale. Tornadoes are more isolated events - a single parent storm or a single thunderstorm that hits a certain area. A derecho is a very large weather event that covers a much greater area. ... "A lot of people can be impacted by derechos; tornadoes are more smaller in scale."

Your not alone...

Derechos differ to tornadoes in scale. Tornadoes are more isolated events - a single parent storm or a single thunderstorm that hits a certain area. A derecho is a very large weather event that covers a much greater area. ... "A lot of people can be impacted by derechos; tornadoes are more smaller in scale."
It is like that scene in return of the king where the ghost army erupts and sloshes over everything to save the day. Except this is in reverse.

Neighbor two doors down has a tree down, didn’t hit anything. I thought the tree next door might end up in my kitchen but it held up.

I was texting with my wife. The two car door on our garage is damaged and won't open, lost some trim on the house. The people behind us to the north had a large oak tree come down in their back yard. The people right behind us lost 4-5 sections of their fence. The trail that runs past the house is completely covered with downed trees.

Just googled. The Derecho that hit the Bound Waters in 1999 only killed 1 person in the park (and 3 people outside of the park) but blew down an estimated 25 million trees within the park.

Guessing campers are still probably not having to look hard for firewood.

Last edited:
Gonna be lots of bonfires in Cedar Rapids once all the downed trees dry out. I’m thankful that none of my trees are west of the house. Cuz those are likely fukked.

Overturned semis on 380.

2020 rocks. Trump’s fault. Will be drinking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT