ADVERTISEMENT

Des Moines storm (also some Iowa towns of less importance with worse pizza)

Yeah it’s shitty. When I went home yesterday I emptied out the fridge and freezer. Fortunately I was coming back to the gf’s (no pics) so I was able to throw most of my freezer stuff into a cooler and bring it down here.

I was glad we didn't have to empty the freezer because it would have taken at least 5-6 more coolers we didn't have.

I was working from home in Ankeny today. Was. Lost parts of my fence and a hot tub cover that I know of so far. Still raining so haven't ventured out to fully assess the damage.

Good luck replacing that hot tub cover. I ordered mine in April. It arrived in late July. The manufacturers are backed up. I'm hopeful for you that they have now caught up.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Good luck replacing that hot tub cover. I ordered mine in April. It arrived in late July. The manufacturers are backed up. I'm hopeful for you that they have now caught up.
Still have the cover I just need new brackets/mounts that were destroyed. I phrased that poorly so hopefully the brackets are readily available.

I sure do cut myself a lot more often when there is no electricity.

The damage in Cedar Rapids is the worst ever for this type of storm. It’s hard to believe what I’m seeing every day. My phone is finally allowing me to play on the internet some. For that, I’m pleased! An insurance adjuster will be visiting with me next year some time to discuss my ravaged house. Stay good everyone. :)

I can’t put into words what I saw yesterday. My sister’s place has significant damage and had the storm happened at night, she would be dead. My company went down to help with cleanup and the widespread carnage was unreal. It took me an hour and twenty minutes to get from her house (behind the ID in the hills) to the SW side. I was involved in the Parkersburg cleanup and that pales in comparison. My heart aches for all of those involved.

I can’t put into words what I saw yesterday. My sister’s place has significant damage and had the storm happened at night, she would be dead. My company went down to help with cleanup and the widespread carnage was unreal. It took me an hour and twenty minutes to get from her house (behind the ID in the hills) to the SW side. I was involved in the Parkersburg cleanup and that pales in comparison. My heart aches for all of those involved.
It was surreal going into CR yesterday. Only thing I can compare it to was driving through the S curve through CR during the flood of 08. And that doesn’t really come close to what I saw yesterday. Just a massive disaster.

Reactions: Rudolph
It was surreal going into CR yesterday. Only thing I can compare it to was driving through the S curve through CR during the flood of 08. And that doesn’t really come close to what I saw yesterday. Just a massive disaster.
Yeah the pics are something else
EP-200819959.jpg

EP-200819959.jpg

EP-200819959.jpg

EP-200819959.jpg

EP-200819959.jpg

Yeah the pics are something else
EP-200819959.jpg

EP-200819959.jpg

EP-200819959.jpg

EP-200819959.jpg

EP-200819959.jpg
It’s sad. Especially given the pandemic situation going on, and folks that were having a hard time before this. As I mentioned on here a couple weeks ago, my company laid off most of its employees. I know over 10 folks with trees laying on their houses, that had just been laid off.

As if being laid off isn’t bad enough, now they have to stay in a hotel until shit gets fixed.

When I describe the damage to my sister, the scale of it...she would just say"reeeealy". Just sort of disbelieving tone to her voice.

Her husband, retired, drove down to my brother's house to help him clear his driveway. My brother lives off west 8th avenue in Marion.

He has a dash mount Go Pro and had it running as he drove into town. My brother's location is such that my BiL had to drive right down the worst parts of Marion.

They pulled the recording and watched it last night. Then my sister called me.

"I've never seen anything like that in Iowa my entire life."

Me = "told ya".

When I describe the damage to my sister, the scale of it...she would just say"reeeealy". Just sort of disbelieving tone to her voice.

Her husband, retired, drove down to my brother's house to help him clear his driveway. My brother lives off west 8th avenue in Marion.

He has a dash mount Go Pro and had it running as he drove into town. My brother's location is such that my BiL had to drive right down the worst parts of Marion.

They pulled the recording and watched it last night. Then my sister called me.

"I've never seen anything like that in Iowa my entire life."

Me = "told ya".
Same thing with my girlfriend (no pics). I took some pics yesterday of the area around my place. Places she would recognize since she’s not from CR. “Holy shit” were the first words out of her mouth.

Also NE side by Kennedy. Still no power. Parts of the NE, closer to Marion/Bowman Woods have it.

Also good luck with any tree service or contractor for the next 6 months. Going to be all DIY I think.

Finally cell though! Albeit spotty.

wow, the outage numbers are starting to drop drastically now. I saw a picture on social media this morning of an army of utility trucks being deployed around the area. it appears to be working!

Council Bluffs 9
Des Moines 64236
Fort Dodge 4
Iowa City 12511
Quad Cities IA 26235
Quad Cities IL 19380
Sioux City 1
Storm Lake 1
Waterloo 1
Total 122378

that poor customer in Storm Lake just can't catch a break :D

wow, the outage numbers are starting to drop drastically now. I saw a picture on social media this morning of an army of utility trucks being deployed around the area. it appears to be working!

Council Bluffs 9
Des Moines 64236
Fort Dodge 4
Iowa City 12511
Quad Cities IA 26235
Quad Cities IL 19380
Sioux City 1
Storm Lake 1
Waterloo 1
Total 122378

Yup, those 1's got to be standing around saying, "what the ****?!"

Some pics from the athletic complex in town. We can see the football press box from our driveway. In the bottom tweet, the two kids holding shelving are standing where the equipment shed for the baseball/softball field was. There should be a two story press box behind them where I do PA for the baseball games...not there. But hey, WOI is doing a story at 6...

Council Bluffs 9
Des Moines 64236
Fort Dodge 4
Iowa City 12511
Quad Cities IA 26235
Quad Cities IL 19380
Sioux City 1
Storm Lake 1
Waterloo 1
Total 122378

I talked to my FIL in Ankeny earlier today. He was last told they may not get power back until Monday or later. maybe he's getting some bad info, bit this was from the power company.

Some pics from the athletic complex in town. We can see the football press box from our driveway. In the bottom tweet, the two kids holding shelving are standing where the equipment shed for the baseball/softball field was. There should be a two story press box behind them where I do PA for the baseball games...not there. But hey, WOI is doing a story at 6...

:(

Still out in NW Ankeny. Wife picked up a generator in Webster City on her way back from NW Iowa.

Thing has been running nearly nonstop, both refrigerators, deep freeze and hot water heater.

Cell phone service is shit. Can’t get hardly any internet due to limited cellular data.

I did get a call from a colleague in Salt Lake City yesterday. Rocky Mountain Power crews (a Berkshire Energy company and sister to MidAmerican Energy) are on their way to Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT