ADVERTISEMENT

Despite Pandemic, 300,000 Expected at Florida Motorcycle Rally

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
About 300,000 people are expected to descend on Daytona Beach, Fla., this week for a large annual motorcycle rally called Bike Week that is taking place during a pandemic in a state with few restrictions to slow its spread.
Excitement about the event has been tempered by pushback from some motorcycle enthusiasts in a Facebook group dedicated to the rally who feared it could turn into a coronavirus superspreader event. Last August, the Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Dakota drew more than 450,000 bikers, most of whom did not wear masks or appear to follow social-distancing guidelines.
State health officials in South Dakota said coronavirus cases spread to more than 20 states and at least 300 people — including to revelers’ families and co-workers.
Bike Week typically draws almost half a million people to the Daytona Beach area each year. But because of the coronavirus pandemic, the numbers are estimated to be lower this year — closer to 300,000 people, said Janet Kersey, the executive vice president and chief operating officer of the Daytona Regional Chamber of Commerce.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

“This year we know because of continued Covid concerns and the loss of income many have had over this past year it will be less,” she said, adding that good weather and the accelerating pace of vaccinations could cause that number to rise.
“While our community is working hard to follow C.D.C. safety guidelines, the support of the visitors and participants is important in these efforts as well for everyone’s safety,” she said.

Your Coronavirus Tracker: We'll send you the latest data for places you care about each day.

At least 125 new coronavirus deaths and 4,426 new cases were reported in Florida on Tuesday, according to a New York Times database of Covid-19 infections and deaths. Over the past week, there has been an average of 4,948 cases per day in the state, a decrease of 16 percent from the average two weeks earlier.
A more contagious and potentially more lethal variant of the coronavirus, known as B.1.1.7, which was first spotted in Britain, is spreading more widely in Florida as a share of total cases than in any other state, according to an analysis of data from Helix, a lab testing company.
With this year’s event, which began on March 5 and runs through Sunday, Bike Week is celebrating the 80th anniversary of a gathering that has been billed as one of the largest motorcycle rallies in the country.

Events include races, bike exhibitions, concerts and giveaways in and around Daytona Beach, a popular Florida tourist area known for its hard-packed sand.
Ms. Kersey said that because of the pandemic, officials had considered canceling the event but said the Daytona Beach City Council was “very meticulous in its decision to move forward.”

. Last August, the Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Dakota drew more than 450,000 bikers, most of whom did not wear masks or appear to follow social-distancing guidelines.
State health officials in South Dakota said coronavirus cases spread to more than 20 states and at least 300 people — including to revelers’ families and co-workers.
What am I missing, a typo? 450,000 unmasked people got together and it led to 300 cases? oh the horror. Won't someone think of the children?

What am I missing, a typo? 450,000 unmasked people got together and it led to 300
Those 300 led to another 1000
Which led to another 3000
Which led to another 10,000

That's literally how pandemics work, bro.

You can see SDs Covid bump from the rally right on the graphs

Go to county level and it's even more pronounced. That's the funny thing about pandemics; it took a single infection in China to infect 120M people worldwide, so 300 infections, given time can easily infect tens of thousands.

Last edited:

You can see SDs Covid bump from there rally right on the graphs

Go to county level and it's even more pronounced. That's the funny thing about pandemics; it took a single infection in China to infect 120M people worldwide, so 300 infections, given time can easily infect tens of thousands.
And that one dude in Minnesota died!

As long as people keep acting like spoiled selfish brats.
How long do you think you and others Covid fear gig is going to last? For a year people have been told they need to be locked in their houses by people like you. Don't ya think just maybe your sanctimonious act is wearing thing with America?

Reactions: ICHerky
Many hundreds have died.

Literally, one case, 10 generations forward, can infect 9500- 59,000 people.

Ergo, 300 "seed" cases are capable, 10 generations forward, of infecting 2.85M to 17M people.

#Math
And those could impact millions and then those could impact hundreds of millions.....

How long do you think you and others Covid fear gig is going to last? For a year people have been told they need to be locked in their houses by people like you. Don't ya think just maybe your sanctimonious act is wearing thing with America?
No, this pandemic has been an introverts and under achievers wet dream. You don't have to go out. You don't have to acknowledge you didn't actually achieve shit in your life. You can just sit behind a screen and cry. They love it.

Couple more months, until vaccines are fully rolled out.

Because Biden has secured enough vaccine for everyone by about June. Implies full baseball stadiums by All Star break, I'd hope.

Im fine for everything reopening once everyone has a chance at the vaccine. If you refuse, get the disease and die, that’s on you. For the most part the people who took responsibility will be fine.

So that sounds more like an issue of those that were around the 300 than the 450,000? I would have expected it would take 1,350,000 people getting together unmasked to lead to 1000 cases, if it took 450k to infect 300. I mean, maybe those 300 people actually picked it up at a gas station/restaurant on the way home. Maybe motorcycle exhaust kills the virus.

• Haha
Reactions: Finance85
No, this pandemic has been an introverts and under achievers wet dream. You don't have to go out. You don't have to acknowledge you didn't actually achieve shit in your life. You can just sit behind a screen and cry. They love it.
You live in central Iowa and spend your free time stalking antlers and animals and posting stupid shit on an online message board. I wouldn't get too cocky about achievements. Although giving up chewing tobacco was probably a bid deal, congratulations on that

Last edited:
I don't understand why you don't fear COVID.

Do you think you can't catch it?
Do you think if you do, it will be no different than a cold?
Do you not have any high-risk relatives you would like to protect?

If people would stop being ignorant and selfish, we'd get through this.

Additionally, I don't understand what the big inconvenience is. I've shopped since the pandemic began, I've traveled, I've enjoyed time with family. Sure, I missed out on Disney, but I've had three beach vacations and hit 4 or 5 Texas State parks I'd never been to before. I keep my distance from others, wear a mask and wash my hands--ooooo, HORRIBLE! Oh, and I HATE masks...I just wear them to do my part to protect others (not myself).

Im pretty sure "in shape" people have had this argument for the last year.

The difference is this, and it’s an important difference. The “in shape” people have always been able to get the disease and survive. After vaccinations are available, they now won’t be able to pass the disease to innocents. Before they could easily survive, but infect dozens who might not.

Once vaccinations are available, for the most part the stupid will only be able to infect themselves or others who are equally stupid. I’m fine with them suffering.

The difference is this, and it’s an important difference. The “in shape” people have always been able to get the disease and survive. After vaccinations are available, they now won’t be able to pass the disease to innocents. Before they could easily survive, but infect dozens who might not.

Once vaccinations are available, for the most part the stupid will only be able to infect themselves or others who are equally stupid. I’m fine with them suffering.
I struggle with feeling "Karma projection" on anti-maskers I see selfishly walking around in closed spaces. I want them to get dangerously ill so they will understand why the rest of us wear masks.

Reactions: cigaretteman
How many more need to die before you stfu? Stop crying. Sorry a half million deaths in America are cramping you're awesome lifestyle. This all goes back to an idiot president who lied and his idiot followers, like yourself, who struggle to do the right thing in order to look out for others instead of their perceived freedoms.

How many more need to die before you stfu? Stop crying. Sorry a half million deaths in America are cramping you're awesome lifestyle. This all goes back to an idiot president who lied and his idiot followers, like yourself, who struggle to do the right thing in order to look out for others instead of their perceived freedoms.
530k*

I wouldn’t be surprised if at least some of the old farts got vaccinated, but we shall see right? I just hope they don’t come near Jax.
At least they’ll have awesome weather.

So that sounds more like an issue of those that were around the 300 than the 450,000?

A: 300 is the bare minimum, of cases that are 1st gen, directly traced
B: As already noted, if those 300 didn't attend and hadn't been infected, you would have had tens of thousands fewer cases in the Midwest a month or so later.

I don't understand why you don't fear COVID.

Do you think you can't catch it?
Do you think if you do, it will be no different than a cold?
Do you not have any high-risk relatives you would like to protect?

If people would stop being ignorant and selfish, we'd get through this.

Additionally, I don't understand what the big inconvenience is. I've shopped since the pandemic began, I've traveled, I've enjoyed time with family. Sure, I missed out on Disney, but I've had three beach vacations and hit 4 or 5 Texas State parks I'd never been to before. I keep my distance from others, wear a mask and wash my hands--ooooo, HORRIBLE! Oh, and I HATE masks...I just wear them to do my part to protect others (not myself).
Did you fly and were never around other people that entire time? I find comments like these hypocritical due to going off on people for living their lives but you define your travels by wearing a mask while slamming people that do the same. Can’t talk out of both sides of your mouth. And don’t say it’s just the cons that caused all this. I know plenty of friends on both sides that have continued to travel, go out to dinner, etc. on both sides of the political spectrum that have done these things but don’t act with a holier than thou attitude.

And magically ZERO cases from protests. Amazing, bro.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
How long will the NYT and other drive by media outlets continue to shame people for gathering in large groups? I would say at least three more years.

At least for us on HROT we get to see how Joes Place can link every case of Covid to the Sturgis South rally.

what is the CDCs position on gathering in large groups?

Almost certain the sun will come up tomorrow. Also why is this an issue? Grown adults making grown adult decisions? The facts are out about covid and If they want to take a chance they can. Most dangerous part will be the motorcycles unless it’s an 85+ Biker rally.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

You can see SDs Covid bump from the rally right on the graphs

Do these metrics apply to knowingly inserting infectious people into the midst of extremely vulnerable populations in democratic states?

Asking for a nipple-pierced governor friend of mine who’s feeling kind of cornered right now.

Reactions: UncannyNanny
Did you fly and were never around other people that entire time? I find comments like these hypocritical due to going off on people for living their lives but you define your travels by wearing a mask while slamming people that do the same. Can’t talk out of both sides of your mouth. And don’t say it’s just the cons that caused all this. I know plenty of friends on both sides that have continued to travel, go out to dinner, etc. on both sides of the political spectrum that have done these things but don’t act with a holier than thou attitude.
No, we didn't fly--hence the canceled Disney trip. We've driven everywhere we've gone, and we changed our travel plans/situations based on the current situation. Example. Instead of staying at a busy hotel where you interact with people in hallways, buffets, etc., we opted for AirB&Bs so we could avoid people. As for restaurants, we always choose places with outside dining. I have done my best at finding balance in continuing on with life while adhering to CDC guidance--I didn't shell-up in my house nor did I go out and about like it was a hoax.

As far as "cons causing this", if I'm being honest, 100% (without exception) of people in my social media footprint are Trump supporters who are anti-maskers and want their "freedom to choose" back with regards to their healthcare--100%. Additionally, 100% of the people I see w/o mask (in Texas) seem to fit the stereo-type of a Trump supporter.

...have done these things but don’t act with a holier than thou attitude.
Don't mean to come across that way...it's just after a year of this thing, it's a tiresome argument. We get it. You (not you personally) hate masks...we all do. We're just doing our part to get past this damn thing.

Im fine for everything reopening once everyone has a chance at the vaccine. If you refuse, get the disease and die, that’s on you. For the most part the people who took responsibility will be fine.

This, so by June. I am tired of the goal posts continually being moved. Time to open up once the general public is getting shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT