ADVERTISEMENT

Dev calling out Iowa's clueless administration

Originally posted by OC_Hawk:

Originally posted by like-woahh:
Originally posted by lonewolf52:
I agree, retire the damn number.

While i agree his jersey could be retired, i disagree his number should be. The only player right now that should have a NUMBER retired is #40 for Chris Street. Remember there are only 56 numbers that can be used in college basketball. Besides, i would retire #12 for Lester & #11 for Armstrong before Marble.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
BJ's number is retired but still allowed to be used(I assume by his permission).  As silly as it might seem, it's the honor of it initially being retired that is important.

Honestly, I just think there should have been more done.
Maybe we're all misunderstanding what Iowa means when they retire a number.  Maybe no one with the name "Armstrong" can ever again wear the number 10.

The AD looked at the all-time roster and identified only a single Armstrong and figured, "Hey what are the odds of getting another one? And if we do, we'll just give him a different number".  They did the same for the name "Marble" but found two records.  Figuring there were twice as many Marbles out there as Armstrongs and not wanting to back themselves into a corner by running out of numbers with all of the worlds Marbles as potential recruits their just holding off a bit longer to make sure.

Lol.

I think this is an awesome thread for those that are pissed off after the win today.

Did any one think that the Iowa admin wouldn't do a half assed job on this?

Every thing they do is like this.

Originally posted by QChawks:
Originally posted by OC_Hawk:

Originally posted by lonewolf52:
I agree, retire the damn number.

While i agree his jersey could be retired, i disagree his number should be. The only player right now that should have a NUMBER retired is #40 for Chris Street. Remember there are only 56 numbers that can be used in college basketball. Besides, i would retire #12 for Lester & #11 for Armstrong before Marble.
BJ's number is retired but still allowed to be used(I assume by his permission).  As silly as it might seem, it's the honor of it initially being retired that is important.

Honestly, I just think there should have been more done.
Maybe we're all misunderstanding what Iowa means when they retire a number.  Maybe no one with the name "Armstrong" can ever again wear the number 10.

The AD looked at the all-time roster and identified only a single Armstrong and figured, "Hey what are the odds of getting another one? And if we do, we'll just give him a different number".  They did the same for the name "Marble" but found two records.  Figuring there were twice as many Marbles out there as Armstrongs and not wanting to back themselves into a corner by running out of numbers with all of the worlds Marbles as potential recruits their just holding off a bit longer to make sure.

Lol.
You laugh at anything don't you.

Originally posted by heat_dawg:

I think this is an awesome thread for those that are pissed off after the win today.
Pumped about the win, less than enthused about how the University handles these situations with regards to All Time Greats (doesn't stop at Roy Marble).

Weird how people can differentiate between subjects. Just strange how people are able to do that.

It also would have been a nice touch to have let Roy said a few words. Even a quick "I'll always be a Hawk" or some sort would have brought the house down.

We can take care of this problem by setting guidelines:
UCLA requires 3 years All-American or National player of the year. We wouldn't lose many numbers there.
North Carolina requires player tho be named national player of the year for retirement of number. However, they have many "honored" jerseys named for anybody they choose.

If you don't have criteria, then everybody picks a favorite and bitches like the above.

Originally posted by squibs:
UCLA requires 3 years All-American or National player of the year. We wouldn't lose many numbers there.
North Carolina requires player tho be named national player of the year for retirement of number. However, they have many "honored" jerseys named for anybody they choose.

If you don't have criteria, then everybody picks a favorite and bitches like the above.
WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE ALL TIME LEADING SCORER IN PROGRAM HISTORY WHO WAS A PART OF ONE OF THE GREATEST TEAMS THIS PROGRAM HAS EVER PUT ON AN IOWA BASKETBALL COURT.

PISS ON YOUR GUIDELINES.

Pumped about the win, less than enthused about how the University handles these situations with regards to All Time Greats (doesn't stop at Roy Marble).

Weird how people can differentiate between subjects. Just strange how people are able to do that.
You can say whatever you want in these little exchanges but when people constantly focus on the negative even after a win, they are just generally pissed off and even more so after a win.

How many posts have you made talking about how great the win was today? Guessing not many. Because you want to be pissed and this all you have to hang your hat on today. We have won 6 in a row so people are reaching for what to be pissed about now. I get it. Good luck.

Originally posted by squibs:

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE ALL TIME LEADING SCORER IN PROGRAM HISTORY WHO WAS A PART OF ONE OF THE GREATEST TEAMS THIS PROGRAM HAS EVER PUT ON AN IOWA BASKETBALL COURT.

PISS ON YOUR GUIDELINES.
You piss on em. I have no guidelines....and neither does UI. Which is why you can keep bitching....so continue!

How's all this arguing going to change what the University did or didn't do? Time to move on.

if dev was disrespected by Iowa today, I wonder how he felt when his dad wasn't around for the first 16 years of his life.

You can say whatever you want in these little exchanges but when people constantly focus on the negative even after a win, they are just generally pissed off and even more so after a win.

How many posts have you made talking about how great the win was today? Guessing not many. Because you want to be pissed and this all you have to hang your hat on today. We have won 6 in a row so people are reaching for what to be pissed about now. I get it. Good luck.
You're talking to the wrong person, I have been defending Woodbury all season, which is a brutal banner to wave on these forums. I don't really post that much because I don't feel like getting into pissing matches. This is an issue outside of the game that I think the University made a huge mistake on.

You see, you want to label me as a pessimist because I disagree with the way this particular issue is handled and then tell me I only feel this way because I'm some sort of asshole who only wants to complain. You couldn't be farther from the truth.

I post in game threads, make some critiques, never personally attack any players and am really pumped when they do well.

This issue has absolutely nothing to do with what happened in the game today, and I can differentiate the two. I have read this board and posted for a long ass time, so I understand your position, it gets tiresome sometimes reading all the negative bullcrap, but don't lump me in with the dicks. This issue is outside of the game that was played today. Thanks.

I heard they had a nice video presentation all ready to go, but they couldn't wheel the film projector down all of the steps at Carver.

Originally posted by L. Wade Childress:
if dev was disrespected by Iowa today, I wonder how he felt when his dad wasn't around for the first 16 years of his life.
Classy comment.... questioning a son's feelings about his dying father. Always amazed at how truly stupid and inconsiderate some people can be.

At the game. People around me and myself were surprised as well no video tribute, no speech by anyone besides PA guy talking, nothing else. Being that it was being promoted think little more to be done. Don't think it's asking too much to have that being done besides Roy standing at half court with barta. Of course Roy sr going to say he was happy to have the honor. What else would he say. Could of had a video tribute with former teammates, coaches ex Hawks talking about his importance to iowa. Let the man speak and express his gratitude to the fans. On another wise great iowa bball day wish our athletic dept would have taken that extra step in honoring an iowa legend.

As for moral high ground lot of people who have done worse who still have awards and accolades not taken away. Alex karras as mentioned good point. Heck oj Simpson at usc still has # retired and recognized as hesiman winner.

yes, I think dev was stupid and inconsiderate for calling out his alma mater who gave him a free college education. thanks for agreeing.

yes, I think dev was stupid and inconsiderate for calling out his alma mater who gave him a free college education. thanks for agreeing.
For the record, Devyn was responding to a tweet by a truly class act, Matt Gatens. Just because Devyn received a college scholarship does not mean that he can't feel disrespected by the administration. But I suspect you would have a pretty tough time figuring that out, considering you take pleasure in making fun of Devyn while his father is dying of cancer. I would not wish that hell on anyone, not even someone as truly inconsiderate as yourself.

retiring a number should have a number of boxes to be checked off.
Great player
Great Team mate
Contributed to great teams

Now and then you might have someone that was truly great that happened to have the bad luck to be here on a down time; but still that should be a consideration.

Now a great player for Michigan has a much higher ceiling then here- just like Kentucky or Louisville would have an even higher ceiling. Its all relative.

Now the half assed ceremony is truly indicative of the Iowa Athletic Department.

Originally posted by nck24:
Numbers shouldn't be retired. Individual players should be honored, and Roy was so honored.
What they do at many places is retire the jersey, not the number.

ISU has duplicates of two numbers hanging from the rafters: 35, which was worn by Don Smith and Barry Stevens, and 14, which was worn by Waldo Wegner and Jeff Hornacek.

Originally posted by navyrules:

For the record, Devyn was responding to a tweet by a truly class act, Matt Gatens. Just because Devyn received a college scholarship does not mean that he can't feel disrespected by the administration. But I suspect you would have a pretty tough time figuring that out, considering you take pleasure in making fun of Devyn while his father is dying of cancer. I would not wish that hell on anyone, not even someone as truly inconsiderate as yourself.
+ #23

Originally posted by torbee:

Originally posted by NorthernHawkeye:
Originally posted by T. Kimball:
Character counts, and Sr.'s reputation as an adult possibly plays a role. Drug arrest. Domestic violence. Driving on barred license.
Ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner. In 2009, Marble was slated to be the program director for
the Mayor's Youth Empowerment Program. A drug arrest derailed that.

The fact that many on here fail to mention this shows the collective lack of perspective and lack of maturity on this board.

Accomplishments on the court and character of the court lead to numbers being retired.
Old Northern Hawkeye and his tired holier than thou act. I thought you'd finally taken your tired schtick off the board.Too bad I was wrong.
Man you get really offended everytime someone says character counts. Probably because yours is so lacking. Have you mailed in your ballet for shrillary in 2016 already?

Lets be real here. Roy Marble was one of the all time greatest players the Hawks have had. It took the University how many years to decide to recognize him and honor him? Why did they do it now? I tell you why, because he is very sick and nobody knows how long he will actually be around, you saw him he looked frail. I doubt Iowa had plans in the works to do this and just never got around to it. To me it would have made more sense to do it well his Son was actually still a Hawkeye. I think honoring him was a good thought, but just not a well planned out one. It seemed rushed together and Halfassed. I don't think they should retire his jersey, put him in the wall along with the rest of the greats.

Dev made more money for the University than his scholarship was worth. He can say what he wants.

Originally posted by L. Wad...ldress:
When your boy Barta is fired, will you ride off into the sunset with him? Please?

Originally posted by crHawkeye92:
Dev made more money for the University than his scholarship was worth. He can say what he wants.

Originally posted by soybean:
Originally posted by NorthernHawkeye:

Originally posted by T. Kimball:
Character counts, and Sr.'s reputation as an adult possibly plays a role. Drug arrest. Domestic violence. Driving on barred license.
Ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner. In 2009, Marble was slated to be the program director for
the Mayor's Youth Empowerment Program. A drug arrest derailed that.

The fact that many on here fail to mention this shows the collective lack of perspective and lack of maturity on this board.

Accomplishments on the court and character of the court lead to numbers being retired.
Is getting your number retired about what you accomplished on the court, or off? Because if what you did after your playing days are over was the criteria we'd be using letters on our jerseys by now instead of numbers.

Don't care about the number being retired, but he never said the only criteria what you did off the court. He specifically said, "Accomplishments on the court and character off the court."

Chris Street's number was retired because of what he did on the court as well as his character off the court. If he was just a great basketball player, his number probably doesn't get retired.

Just being a great basketball player is not enough to get your number retired IMHO. If it was, then we we wouldn't have anymore jersey numbers to give players. From what I've heard, Marble wouldn't even be Iowa's all time scoring leader if Ronnie Lester got to play in as many games as Marble.

Like it or not, character counts.

who is going to fire Barta? the president we don't have?

anyone who thinks that this is a great time for the collective fanbase to act like spoiled jackasses has no long term view whatsoever.

we should be getting behind the improvement of several athletic teams and creating an attractive environment for the next group of leadership. instead we are using what a jersey looks like and Mambo #5 as an excuse for not attending games and supporting the team. I'm a 4th generation Iowa grad and it's completely embarrassing.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

Originally posted by nck24:
Numbers shouldn't be retired. Individual players should be honored, and Roy was so honored.
What they do at many places is retire the jersey, not the number.

ISU has duplicates of two numbers hanging from the rafters: 35, which was worn by Don Smith and Barry Stevens, and 14, which was worn by Waldo Wegner and Jeff Hornacek.
Hilton has rafters? Don't think CHA has any rafters to hang from, just big tubes.

anyone who thinks that this is a great time for the collective fanbase to act like spoiled jackasses has no long term view whatsoever.

we should be getting behind the improvement of several athletic teams and creating an attractive environment for the next group of leadership. instead we are using what a jersey looks like and Mambo #5 as an excuse for not attending games and supporting the team. I'm a 4th generation Iowa grad and it's completely embarrassing.

Mambo #5!!!!!!

If you don't like something Iowa does L Wade will yell get off my lawn while shaking his fist.

This post was edited on 3/8 4:34 PM by hawkcub

"Let those fans eat cake!"

Talk about a disconnect?

th
Iowa's Athletic Leadership should be careful or they'll find out what a disconnect really is...

This post was edited on 3/8 4:38 PM by DanL53

When is the last time you posted something, other than "calling out" posters that you deem "too negative"?

You post this shit in every thread. Here's a hint, you're just as bad as those you try to call out. In fact, at least their complaints are substantive, unlike yours. So, you're pretty much worthless in every thread. Congrats.

Originally posted by crHawkeye92:
And you realize that it was Fran and Iowa that begged Devyn to come to Iowa, not the other way around? It's not like he didn't have other scholarship offers. In the end, it might have made sense to do a bit more for Roy just out of respect for Devyn and what he has done (and might continue to do) for Iowa as an NBA player.

Re: Dev calling out Iowa's clueless administration
L. Wade Childress posted on 3/7/2015...

Were u in the marble household daily to understand what went on?

Posting the comment u did speaks volumes of your lack of class not to mention the type of individual / human u r. U r seriously pathetic.

marbles saga is well documented. i may know more than some people, or maybe not, but i dont even have to dip into that to prove my point.

i do not appreciate a former student-athlete coming with the "blatant disrespect" line on social media. ill give him a break as it was probably a moment of emotional immaturity. but im guessing that loyal hawkeye fans like the postels family who have donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to endow scholarships for basketball players are somewhat disappointed with their investment if they hear things like that.

Every saint was a sinner and every sinner can become a saint.

The guy is dying. Have a heart. Hang the jersey on the rafter .

Gary and the AD department I think are lazy. It was like a HS ceremony.

Just one guys opinion who has watched hawkee BB for over 50 yrs

you can't use "have a heart" in this situation, in my opinion. he hasn't atoned for his mistakes, he simply got sick,which is unfortunate, but not exactly a mea culpa.

Originally posted by L. Wad...ldress:
you can't use "have a heart" in this situation, in my opinion. he hasn't atoned for his mistakes, he simply got sick,which is unfortunate, but not exactly a mea culpa.
What's your name and DOB? What is your entire life story? Places like this allow people like you to say things that you would never say to a person's face. People who tend to throw stones are the ones who live in a glass house.

This post was edited on 3/8 10:00 PM by 2007hawkeye

marbles saga is well documented. i may know more than some people, or maybe not, but i dont even have to dip into that to prove my point.

i do not appreciate a former student-athlete coming with the "blatant disrespect" line on social media. ill give him a break as it was probably a moment of emotional immaturity. but im guessing that loyal hawkeye fans like the postels family who have donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to endow scholarships for basketball players are somewhat disappointed with their investment if they hear things like that.
So are you offended and disappointed with Matt Gatens too? Gaten's has been rightfully described by the University of Iowa as a Hawkeye who is the 'epitome of character and class'. Matt has made his thoughts about this issue very clear as have other well respected alumni. It would seem that you are proposing they just swallow their opinion and toe the company line because they were given a scholarship. I really doubt any donor who helps endow scholarships wants alumni not to use their judgement to voice an opinion when a situation clearly warrants it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT