ADVERTISEMENT

DeVries of Drake is the replacement if Fran is done

Right. What matters is how good they are at basketball, not their race.
Right.

129/150 of the top recruits for 2024 are black. But, sure, race doesn’t matter.

White people make up about 75% of the population, black people 13%. So it’s all just coincidental?

I know this is a touchy subject for some but the statistics smack ya right in the face if you’re willing to admit the truth. But that’s not really your thing, eh.

Right.

White people make up about 75% of the population, black people 13%. So it’s all just coincidental?

I know this is a touchy subject for some but the statistics smack ya right in the face if you’re willing to admit the truth. But that’s not really your thing, eh.
You have to have a Player be interested in the School , of those 129 geographically how many would leave Their region for Iowa over blue bloods in better Weather areas and with Boosters who go far beyond what Iowa legally will. Iowa is situated in a horrible spot with low Population . It has nothing to do with race , look at Wisconsin , They have had final fours and 8s recently with almost all white Players, You know why Iowa cannot get deep in March? Fran refuses to teach/stress Individual and Team defense . Period.

This is a rebuild season. Sandfort not Fran failed tonight. This is a young team with tons of upside. I get the fatigue as I'm sick of the March Madness ineptitude as well. I'm not freaking out tonight just disappointed. I'm on the fence with Fran but if we cut ties or he walks away after the season Coach DeVries of Drake could take Iowa to the next level. I would be all in on that scenario.
But, but, but he starts his son! !!!
(Yes I know he's good and MVC POY .)

• Haha
Reactions: Chishawk1425
You have to have a Player be interested in the School , of those 129 geographically how many would leave Their region for Iowa over blue bloods in better Weather areas and with Boosters who go far beyond what Iowa legally will. Iowa is situated in a horrible spot with low Population . It has nothing to do with race , look at Wisconsin , They have had final fours and 8s recently with almost all white Players, You know why Iowa cannot get deep in March? Fran refuses to teach/stress Individual and Team defense . Period.
I think the Iowa defense is much better now than it was 5-6 years ago. So just stop it!
Understand, Fran was brought in because his teams SCORE points. UIowa basketball is much better now than where it was since the days of Davis. Fran’s problem at Iowa is fan base expectations. Defense? Hells bells, Wisky wanted to get rid of their last two BB coaches because they played great defense! Fran’s teams are interesting…and frustrating to watch but they aren’t boring!

Good job finding an outlier. My point stands.

What do you like about Devries? Not pushing back just don’t know much about him. Thx.
Personally, I would try and go after Craig Smith above anyone else, but that's just my personal thoughts on it.

DeVries is the classic case of "done a lot with a little." Drake has been a bottom barrel team in the Valley in the last ~30ish years. It's not an easy job. I think he runs good offensive sets, he's way more of a half-court guy than Fran, which isn't surprising given that he comes from the McDermott tree where he runs slow tempo offenses that are highly efficient. He's also a much better defensive coach than Fran is, which I know is most people's biggest concerns.

And maybe the biggest plus to him is that I have heard that he's really good at donor relations and raising NIL money. It's to the point now that I have heard that Drake is clearly #1 in the Valley in NIL. Given what we are faced up against, the next coach is going to have his hands full in getting donors excited to give to basketball again.

I also think that his assistants do a decent job of recruiting. He has a couple guys on staff that have ties to the Arkansas/Oklahoma/Texas grassroots scene. His teams aren't just full of Des Moines suburbs kids with the occasional neighboring state kid. I'd also imagine that he would keep Gatens on staff, which to a lot of Iowa fans would matter + it would likely help to keep some of the current players onboard.

My last thought on this, as again, I think this is a conversation that likely won't end up mattering in the end because Fran isn't leaving this year. I think it's highly likely that Darian is coaching a power conference team next year. He'll almost certainly get an interview for Washington when that opens. Michigan would likely give him a call if Juwan is out. Ohio State is another possibility of a potential firing. There's also openings that could happen from guys jumping ship for other jobs. DeVries is probably one of the 3 hottest mid-major names at the moment, but Dusty May has the stink of no one wanting to hire the guy that will jump immediately for Indiana when that inevitably is open in the next couple years and Schertz I think gets the DePaul job when it is all said and done.

Why not TJ? He might want to be I'm one of the BIG 2 superconferences.
He has no problem recruiting out of state top talent.
If Fran moved on give me a top big conference coach. Make him an offer he cannot turn down. We have the 90 million media rights coming...use it.

Harding has a lot of potential but isn't a good shooter. Time to fix. Bowen has been a disappointment.
Agreed - not giving up on Harding just yet…pretty sure Izzo had some great point guards who were not the greatest shooters…you just need a great field general who can see the court and play suffocating defense. I also don’t think Dee Brown was a great shooter at IL when he was younger, but really improved his Jr and Sr year…

Agreed - not giving up on Harding just yet…pretty sure Izzo had some great point guards who were not the greatest shooters…you just need a great field general who can see the court and play suffocating defense. I also don’t think Dee Brown was a great shooter at IL when he was younger, but really improved his Jr and Sr year…
To that point, Perkins wasn’t a world beater his sophomore year, he’s come a long way. I could see Bowen making similar progress.

You're not wrong about Fran and defense, but none of that explains why ISU seems to have no problem with recruiting black athletes despite the same crappy weather, low population, etc.

As far as Wisconsin, sure, they prove that it CAN be done, but it takes an exceptional coach like Bo Ryan to do it. I'd say they are most definitely an anomaly, not the norm.

I think the Iowa defense is much better now than it was 5-6 years ago. So just stop it!
Understand, Fran was brought in because his teams SCORE points. UIowa basketball is much better now than where it was since the days of Davis. Fran’s problem at Iowa is fan base expectations. Defense? Hells bells, Wisky wanted to get rid of their last two BB coaches because they played great defense! Fran’s teams are interesting…and frustrating to watch but they aren’t boring!
There's so much wrong with this post, I don't even know where to start.

Adjusted defensive efficiency ratings, Per Kenpom:

2023-24: 164
2022-23: 168
2021-22: 80
2020-21: 75
2019-20: 97
2018-19: 111

Not only are they NOT better than they were 5 years ago, they've actually been much worse the last couple of years.

As far as Wisconsin "getting rid of" their last two coaches, I assume you're referring to Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan. Neither were fired.. They both retired:

Wisconsin wasn't getting rid of two coaches that had just taken them to Final Fours. Come on, man. You know better than that.

Last edited:
Why not TJ? He might want to be I'm one of the BIG 2 superconferences.
He has no problem recruiting out of state top talent.
If Fran moved on give me a top big conference coach. Make him an offer he cannot turn down. We have the 90 million media rights coming...use it.
LOL. ISU is his dream job, he says so all the time. He reveres Hilton Coliseum. He was the reason Freddy was successful. Personally, I think Iowa needs to focus on Division 1 coaches, there are even some in the Big 12 that might be willing to jump ship to Iowa for a TON of money. I just don't see Otz ever even thinking about leaving. Heck, his wife could possibly be the Women's coach at ISU in the future.

Derp Derp Derpidy Derp weighs in
Like this post if everyone here thinks Chis is a joke.

If you don’t want people to disagree with you why not put your thoughts in a journal instead of talking to yourself here?

Devries is going to get some offers after this season, hopefully he gets his first ncaa win. I’m besides myself that Iowa has been without a sweet 16 in 25 years and you think a coach without any ncaa wins, is a no brainer hirer. What are you related to the guy or something?

The list of coaches great in mid majors that fail at their next stop is pretty long.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
Bo Ryan would have been fired for taking girlfriends to dinner on UW's dime

This is a rebuild season. Sandfort not Fran failed tonight. This is a young team with tons of upside. I get the fatigue as I'm sick of the March Madness ineptitude as well. I'm not freaking out tonight just disappointed. I'm on the fence with Fran but if we cut ties or he walks away after the season Coach DeVries of Drake could take Iowa to the next level. I would be all in on that scenario.
We have had good luck with another former coach from Drake.

Never ceases to amaze me how, when it comes to Iowa's next gen coach candidates, people are so fixated on: 1) coaches with some prior connection to Iowa; 2) coaches who are already coaching somewhere in Iowa or a contiguous state; 3) coaches whose personality/philosophy/vibe most closely reflects the Iowa coach they'd be replacing.

It's like in football with everyone calling for Klieman because he's from Iowa, coaching in the Midwest, and brings the same blue-collar, aw shucksy, "unsexy" approach as KF. Makes zero sense to me.

I'm not saying Devries checks all of those boxes, but I'd like to think Iowa is a respectable enough gig that it would draw attention from a huge range of talented young coaches nationwide, whether they've ever been to Iowa or not.

Never ceases to amaze me how, when it comes to Iowa's next gen coach candidates, people are so fixated on: 1) coaches with some prior connection to Iowa; 2) coaches who are already coaching somewhere in Iowa or a contiguous state; 3) coaches whose personality/philosophy/vibe most closely reflects the Iowa coach they'd be replacing.

It's like in football with everyone calling for Klieman because he's from Iowa, coaching in the Midwest, and brings the same blue-collar, aw shucksy, "unsexy" approach as KF. Makes zero sense to me.

I'm not saying Devries checks all of those boxes, but I'd like to think Iowa is a respectable enough gig that it would draw attention from a huge range of talented young coaches nationwide, whether they've ever been to Iowa or not.
Iowa changes coaches so infrequently it's hard to say.

I'm not convinced it is.

It didn't draw that level of attention last time the job was open but Barta was not a good AD so maybe it's his fault?

Lack of in state talent pool and lack of significant NIL budget are two factors against.

I hope so. I don't how he gets some of the recruits that he gets to go to Drake but I would love to see him recruit to Iowa.

I'm not convinced it is.

It didn't draw that level of attention last time the job was open but Barta was not a good AD so maybe it's his fault?

Lack of in state talent pool and lack of significant NIL budget are two factors against.
I'm not saying Iowa MBB is an elite level job. But I do think it's a really good gig for a proven up-and-comer from anywhere in the country, lots of $$$ will be rolling into Athletics with the new media deal, tons of resources, new young AD.

And I do think Barta was absolute shite as AD.

I'm not convinced it is.

Last time around, the new hire had to inherit the Lickliter mess. Fran has his faults, but the team is in a better position now, so I think it would be more attractive this time around.

Dean Oliver, Jeff Horner, Matt Gatens all current aspiring head coaches (Horner HC at Truman St?). Also a former Hawk who played NBA in Denver, his name escapes me, but I think he's a lower level NBA coach.

^^^ Ryan Bowen ^^^

The next coach must have successful head coaching experience at a mid-major (at a minimum) and assistant coaching experience in a big time program under successful coach(s). No exceptions. No reason we can't get someone like that.

Reactions: LukaDuka
^^^ Ryan Bowen ^^^

The next coach must have successful head coaching experience at a mid-major (at a minimum) and assistant coaching experience in a big time program under successful coach(s). No exceptions. No reason we can't get someone like that.
Thanks... Dean Oliver was an assistant at Wisconson I believe. Bowen may be a contender...

Reactions: skydog0784
Iowa State has no issue recruiting black players. Their geography is better? Lol.

Wisconsin is an outlier with an outlier for a system. They happened to have a little more talent on the roster the years they made back-to-back FFs in the mid 2010s. Wisconsin hasn’t been close to a FF since.

This argument is pointless. The demographics are what they are. You plugging your ears while shaking your head and yelling “Lalala” doesn’t change that fact. But, yeah, let’s go with your theory Fran doesn’t know how to coach defense at all. Iowa being trash in defense has nothing to do with the Jimmy and Joes with no foot speed, athleticism, or actual jumping ability.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Right.

Markfromj must be some equitable outcomes dude from academia or a white Supremist. Not even a fan, just likes to promote White B-ball.

Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT