ADVERTISEMENT

Devries to w virginia

He might get an interview, but it sounds like Ben McCollum is the candidate to beat here. D2 coach at NW Missouri State--Iowa City native and has won multiple D2 titles.
McCollum definitely a candidate. But I also think his right hand assistant Richter who has recruited most of the players is the leader in the clubhouse.

B12 BB is the best in the nation right now…sorry. Wva has a strong basketball tradition. I didn’t see a WCa move coming though…must have some serious money and a great opportunity though.
Lol, B12 basketball being good doesn't mean WVU > Iowa.........

Come on now.

My money for the new Drake coach would be Marty Richter. Iowa guy and was on these DeVries Drake staffs as well as Dunk City FGCU.

He was pretty much solely responsible for their first major infusion of talent from his Florida connections.

Re: DeVries, sucks for me as a Drake and Iowa fan but good for him. Made the team respectable. Why WVU? His salary was probably around $600K at Drake and he’s likely stepping up to $2.5-3 million. Not complicated.

Fortunately for Drake, Brian Hardin has proven to be a really good AD so gives me some hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez
Lol, B12 basketball being good doesn't mean WVU > Iowa.........

Come on now.
Maybe the desire to compete against “the best” was enough…
You’re here… you read… what makes Iowa so irresistible as a job?
Answer is… it ain’t. About 4-5 years and it’s a good place to be from….you can be successful but you will never escape the fans wrath…unless you win all the time and I mean win like Gable…If you win like Kirk, that isn’t good enough..
Fran’s tge winnubfest coach ever at Iowa and ge’s a failure….as was Tom Davis…Ralph was smart enough and when Evy failed to keep his promise Ralph went West.

Answer is… it ain’t. About 4-5 years and it’s a good place to be from….you can be successful but you will never escape the fans wrath…unless you win all the time and I mean win like Gable…If you win like Kirk, that isn’t good enough..
Fran’s tge winnubfest coach ever at Iowa and ge’s a failure….as was Tom Davis…Ralph was smart enough and when Evy failed to keep his promise Ralph went West.
Drink less, joel.........you're old. It matters.

You know nothing about basketball. But keep posting dumb shit.
Lmfao 🤣!

I’ve forgotten more about hoop than you could ever dream of knowing.

And from all perspectives of the game.

It’s blatantly obvious you never played at a high level. Or coached. Or officiated at a high level.

I bet you were one hell of a cheerleader though!

• Haha
deliverance banjo GIF
LMAO - you are a bad person! ;)

Reactions: Moral
Strong fan base.
But odd duck in big 12.
East Coast( DMV) recruiting base pretty good.
Strong legacy in BB...jerry west.
Strong BB conference but FB is the moneymaker in college sports so being in one of big 2 is the big rock candy mountain.
When Michigan got filled and with rumors of sprinkle to WASH...no empty chairs left in SEC or BIG.
Took next best offer. Maybe if he succeeds at West VA. When Fran leaves in 3-4 years the Iowa job will be his.
Fran is either gone this year or next season. Just depends on how much your AD wants to do the payoff. Might be to high this year, but after next season, I think she has no choice but to fire Fran. Not sure there is anything Fran can do to save his job. 14 years and no sweet 16? Is there any realistic scenario where Iowa fans would want to keep Fran?

Fran is either gone this year or next season. Just depends on how much your AD wants to do the payoff. Might be to high this year, but after next season, I think she has no choice but to fire Fran. Not sure there is anything Fran can do to save his job. 14 years and no sweet 16? Is there any realistic scenario where Iowa fans would want to keep Fran?
There’s zero reason not to do it now. Iowa’s getting more money from TV this year in new money than the total cost of Fran’s contract - which is $14 million

I’m going to be brutally honest - I’ve been disappointed with Beth so far. I thought she had the killer instinct when she finally swung the axe on Brian. But the subsequent actions - allowing Kirk to retain full control of his staff, retaining Fran while the basketball team is in this shape, suggest she is comfortable with business as usual as long as each sport isn’t performing at some super embarassing level.

There’s a lot more that suggests she’s naive to the nature of highest level college athletics, such as a move in NIL that spread us thinner by forcing Swarm to support all 22 sports, along with continuing expensive projects like the baseball stadium and new wrestling facility instead of getting donors on board to direct that towards NIL. The revenue number this past year was somewhat disappointing too - suggesting she might have trouble connecting there.

Bottom line is this - she doesn’t have time to settle in. The best AD’s aren’t afraid to remake their departments into their image of what a competitor is. Figure it out or find your way to be gone too.

Actually this is a good step up move for him. It is the only power 5 school in the state, plays in the top BB conference in America, good facilities, has a decent tradition with a loyal fan base and is not dominated by FB. My only question would be if he has the eastern recruiting contacts as he's been in the Midwest throughout his career. The assistants he is able to hire will be very important.

Not hard to see why he would make this move. Take the opportunity when it's there. Despite the issues of wv as a state, they have a strong bball tradition and good financial support.
Even if it doesn't work out, it's likely he can drop down the coaching ladder and start again.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
There’s zero reason not to do it now. Iowa’s getting more money from TV this year in new money than the total cost of Fran’s contract - which is $14 million

I’m going to be brutally honest - I’ve been disappointed with Beth so far. I thought she had the killer instinct when she finally swung the axe on Brian. But the subsequent actions - allowing Kirk to retain full control of his staff, retaining Fran while the basketball team is in this shape, suggest she is comfortable with business as usual as long as each sport isn’t performing at some super embarassing level.

There’s a lot more that suggests she’s naive to the nature of highest level college athletics, such as a move in NIL that spread us thinner by forcing Swarm to support all 22 sports, along with continuing expensive projects like the baseball stadium and new wrestling facility instead of getting donors on board to direct that towards NIL. The revenue number this past year was somewhat disappointing too - suggesting she might have trouble connecting there.

Bottom line is this - she doesn’t have time to settle in. The best AD’s aren’t afraid to remake their departments into their image of what a competitor is. Figure it out or find your way to be gone too.
WTF?

Reactions: jaxhawk06

Did you expect her to fire Fran during the season? WTF?

If Iowa was such a bad job and Fan's wrath was a real thing, How come Davis and Fran have stayed so long.? I don't see any signs of Fran leaving on his own accord and he really has zero outside opportunities that would pay him what he's making at Iowa.

Iowa has the longest tenured coaches in B1G10 in Football and pretty close to longest tneured in Basketball...If anything Iowa is the place to go for job security as coach and the coach's don't leave on their own accord.

Meanwhile the two coaches in Basketball history you descirbe as being run off-to get away from Iowa fans-- MIllier and Lute Olson, both gave us the best basketball teams we've ever had. Raveling left on his own too---and he set us up with the talent that made an Elite8 run. If anything, Renting great basketball coaches has led to the best times Iowa fans have ever known in basketball.

;

Yeah go ahead and get the most relatable young coach out of Iowa city.
Nothing against Matt Gatens, he was a great Hawkeye, but I wonder what he has brought to the program as a coach. What influence has he had? How has he helped Iowa get better? I see different players ever year, but I never see any program improvements in the two fundamental failures under Fran--defense and rebounding.

If Iowa was such a bad job and Fan's wrath was a real thing, How come Davis and Fran have stayed so long.? I don't see any signs of Fran leaving on his own accord and he really has zero outside opportunities that would pay him what he's making at Iowa.

Iowa has the longest tenured coaches in B1G10 in Football and pretty close to longest tneured in Basketball...If anything Iowa is the place to go for job security as coach and the coach's don't leave on their own accord.

Meanwhile the two coaches in Basketball history you descirbe as being run off-to get away from Iowa fans-- MIllier and Lute Olson, both gave us the best basketball teams we've ever had. Raveling left on his own too---and he set us up with the talent that made an Elite8 run. If anything, Renting great basketball coaches has led to the best times Iowa fans have ever known in basketball.

;
What coach would turn down that kind of money and those low expectations? Becoming a head coach at Iowa over the last several decades has been akin to being appointed to the Supreme Court. You stay until you retire or die.

We'll see in the next few years if Beth will establish some higher standards for head coaches and all the money they are paid.

As the new AD you just don't come in and start gutting programs. The Brian thing had polarized the fan base and something had to be done. Fran's 65. While not as successful in the tourney as I'm sure any of us would like we were a top 10 team for awhile w/Garza and Keegan and actually seemed to be Fran's best years. We clearly didn't capitalize on what we had. We also did make the tournament every year for awhile and I believe we were a 2 seed before getting boatraced by Oregon? This year was a regression. No doubt and I'm pretty worried about what we have coming. Freeman is a great piece to build around as is Dix but you need speed and athleticism to win in today's game. We have none of that. I"m sure there's been conversations w/Fran about having to do better. Can he and will he? I'm not sure. Just as I'm not sure Kirk can adapt and change as needed.

Reactions: RocknRollface

<youseriousclark?.gif>

No.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT