ADVERTISEMENT

DiCaprio vs Hanks , who ya got?

Yep. Forest Gump was his one real stretch. After that he’s like the old school actors (John Wayne, Bogart, Jimmy Stewart) and plays Tom Hanks.

Mr. Rogers? The Terminal? Walt Disney? Captain Phillips? Castaway, Green Mile, Big, Charlie Wilson.

DiCaprio pays the same guy with bad accents in every movie since Gilbert Grape.

Reactions: BelemNole
Leo has the charisma which makes
him a good actor. He made a real
statement in the film, "The Titanic".
Difficult to imagine anyone else in
that role he played.

Reactions: HumbleP1e
Hanks clearly has a tremendous catalogue, but I can name more than one ass crack of a film he starred in, and I'll posit Joe v. The Volcano as a clear nominee for one of the worst films I have ever seen just for starters.

Obviously, you are suffering from a brain cloud. Joe is one of my favorite Hanks films.

Hanks does have the 2 Oscars, and I like both of them, but my vote goes to Leo. Several posters have mentioned that Leo plays all roles in the same vein as Jack from Titanic. Or with a bad accent. I feel the same way about Hanks. Not that there's anything wrong with that. He makes good movies. But Leo's range is much broader and he gets deeper into each role. I could see Leo playing every role that Hanks has, but I couldn't see Hanks playing every role Leo has.

No mention of this Hanks classic..

51giR3mM2fL._SY445_.jpg

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Tom will be 64 years old this year
and Leo will celebrate his 46th
birthday in November.

Almost 20 years separate these two
actors. Leo can use those 2 decades
to add to his acting career. Leo has a
bright future.

I think DiCaprio is the best actor currently in their 40’s and it isn’t really fair to compare him to someone almost 2 decades older. Having said that, Jake Gyllenhaal will give him a run for the money when he hits 40 soon.

Leo won me ove when I watched The Aviator. I don’t know how he didn’t win best actor for that performance. The good news is that he’s gotten even better since.

Hanks is really good, but plays an everyman-style character in almost everything. He’s like a really good comfortable pair of shoes that you always reach for. You know what you’re going to get. However I couldn’t see him playing some of the roles that Leo has taken and done well in.

But Daniel Day-Lewis is the best actor alive, unfortunately he’s now retired.

And Joe Versus The Volcano gets better with more watches. It really is one of Hanks’s better romantic comedies. Funnier than the other ones, but maybe not quite as romantic.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Let's not split hairs if you feel one was bad. I think my point is simply this: Leo had the higher floor (way higher), Tom has the higher ceiling, and they basically play a relative version of themselves in most of their works. They are both fantastic and frankly get their pick of he litter for film roles, so they damn well should have good catalogues. I give the edge to Leo.

Let's see ...

Forrest Gump
A League of Their Own
The Terminal
Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Saving Private Ryan
Turner & Hooch
The Road to Perdition
Big

I have a hard time imagining 8 more different characters than the one's played by Hanks in these movies.

I think Hanks and Robert De Niro are the two most talented "actors" of our time.

Oh, and I love DiCaprio!

Reactions: SpyderHawk

Nobody becomes somebody complete different for each role to the extent of DDL. It's scary how versatile he is. The closest I've seen to him is Gary Oldman. Nicholson, DeNiro, Pacino, Brando, etc.....they made incredible films. But, each remained close to their core in each role. Their expressions, inflections, timing, voice...a lot is interchangable film to film. Daniel Day-Lewis is a brand new guy every damn time.

Jack-Nicholson.jpg
Nobody becomes somebody complete different for each role to the extent of DDL. It's scary how versatile he is. The closest I've seen to him is Gary Oldman. Nicholson, DeNiro, Pacino, Brando, etc.....they made incredible films. But, each remained close to their core in each role. Their expressions, inflections, timing, voice...a lot is interchangable film to film. Daniel Day-Lewis is a brand new guy every damn time.
So Jack doesn't have range?
jack-nicholson-joker-wallpaper.jpg

Last edited:
* Philadelphia
* Forest Gump
* Saving Private Ryan
* Castaway
* Sleepless In Seattle
* The Green Mile
* Road to Perdition
* A League of Their Own

That’s just great movies off the top of my head, and before we cover cute little ones like Big and Splash, or his voice work on Toy Story, Polar Express, and others.
I just re-watched Road to Perdition a few weeks ago. What a fantastic movie. Glad to see it get some love in this thread.

I think it comes down to this. Nothing DiCaprio ever has done or will so will be able to match Band Of Brothers. Hanks did that with Spielberg. Hanks is the answer.

My college buddies and I have an ongoing debate whenever we get together every few years and try and determine who is the better actor of our time. We discuss Numerous actors but the conversation normally make its way back to this matchup and we can never decide.

Head to head, who ya got and why?

(and please try and refrain from saying neither of them it’s this other guy instead and go on a rant about someone not named Tom or Leo).
Crazy. I don’t think it is even questionable. Hanks in a landslide. Never cared for DiCaprio, but admittedly, his acting and roles have been impressive. Both actors take different roles, however. Based on the success of the movies, Hanks is better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT