ADVERTISEMENT

Dick Cheney (yeah, that one) will be voting For Kamala Harris

embarrassed-sad.gif

Whole lot of this going on in this thread and I am here for it!

Honestly, all of these so and so is voting for so and so threads are kinda stupid in a country where people claim to be their own boss.

As I was thinking about the election today — and I’m still not sure what I’ll do — it occurred to me that what I’ve told my kids is that you have to be for something and not simply against something else. I gotta figure out what’s most closely aligned with what I’m for.
You don’t know what you’ll do?

Reactions: Torg
Honestly, all of these so and so is voting for so and so threads are kinda stupid in a country where people claim to be their own boss.

As I was thinking about the election today — and I’m still not sure what I’ll do — it occurred to me that what I’ve told my kids is that you have to be for something and not simply against something else. I gotta figure out what’s most closely aligned with what I’m for.
Please tell me Trump isn’t in that mix.

Please tell me Trump isn’t in that mix.
All options are in the mix, including not voting for president.

But I’ve got some big city council calls to make which I have strong leanings on. (Hint: the candidate whose opening line in her statement was “I’m queer” probably needs to look elsewhere).

You seem very intelligent.
At least I have a sense of personal pride and integrity. If I despised and railed against someone for their actions over 8 years, I wouldn't all of a sudden change my opinion of them bc they endorsed my candidate of choice.

It's a tough choice. Vote for a candidate that tried to overturn an election or not. I am struggling with the decision as well.
As I said, you gotta think about what you’re “for”, and sadly there are no perfect fits and plenty of fleas to go around. While I don’t want to go down a rabbit hole here, the flip side of “overturning an election” is “lawfare,” which there is a more than fair inference of.

As I said, you gotta think about what you’re “for”, and sadly there are no perfect fits and plenty of fleas to go around. While I don’t want to go down a rabbit hole here, the flip side of “overturning an election” is “lawfare,” which there is a more than fair inference of.
Explain what you mean by "lawfare".

For those worried about taxes and inflation. Would love to hear the defense for the next round of Tariffs. Trump will slap on consumers.
1. At this point in my life I’m more worried about asset taxes.
2. There was a piece in the journal today I was discussing with buddies who are much better at public economics than I. Basically, the critiques boiled down to “this will produce less government revenue”. Their consensus was that was a feature rather than a bug.

Reactions: tumorboy
1. At this point in my life I’m more worried about asset taxes.
2. There was a piece in the journal today I was discussing with buddies who are much better at public economics than I. Basically, the critiques boiled down to “this will produce less government revenue”. Their consensus was that was a feature rather than a bug.
The feature being trying to increase deficits? Hoping to force spending cuts.

Reactions: Torg
The right wingers responses to Dick Cheney are simply hilarious. I've been on here for a few years now, and I have yet to see any of them criticize Dick Cheney. He lied us into the Iraq war costing thousands of American deaths and thousands more injured and many for life. Where have they been?
This is what a cult does and I have asked this for years. People they agreed with wholeheartedly for years are suddenly terrible only because they are against Donald Trump, their cult leader. They never have an answer as to why they do this. Trump above all others.

It's a tough choice. Vote for a candidate that tried to overturn an election or not. I am struggling with the decision as well.

To put it into perspective, I think of being on an airplane. The flight attendant comes down the aisle with her food cart and, eventually, parks it beside my seat. “Can I interest you in the chicken?” she asks. “Or would you prefer the platter of shit with bits of broken glass in it?”

To be undecided in this election is to pause for a moment and then ask how the chicken is cooked.

Explain what you mean by "lawfare".
Again, not to go too far here, and with the emphasis that I am absolutely not a conspiracy theorist and am an actual practicing dc lawyer, but…
1. While the outcome may well have not have been any different, I have always wondered whether Trump might have turned out different if, like other presidents, he had been given a short term chance to govern rather than instantly having been wrongfully and ham handedly hamstrung as a Russian stooge.
2. It is not a mere coincidence that the various lawsuits - typically but not exclusively by elected local prosecutors - suddenly emerged against a former president, when they did, and typically based on open ended theories such as consumer protection laws.
3. Most recently, I have no doubt that Russians seek to influence elections. But again, having seen some of the concord management case up close and personal, it is absolutely not a coincidence that the governments approach has been to indict persons outside their jurisdiction while letting American citizen “opponents” not named as defendants twist in the wind as part of the allegations against the defendants who will never be tried. Honestly, that’s the tactics of a pussy generally, and a political pussy specifically.

To clear, I’m sure some of these have merit — literally ko one escapes the breadth of a determined regulator these days as Justice Gorsuch has recently pointed out. But they are pretty unprecedented, and if people can’t acknowledge that I probably can’t help. But it’s disturbing to me.

Once upon a time, I had great respect for Eric holder and significant respect for Merrill garland, both of whom were very solid judges and “calm” attorneys general. Less so recently.

FWIW, it’s getting late here and I’ll be signing off. If you’re looking for an internet fight, look elsewhere, but if you’re looking for solace, find it, I suppose, In the fact that I’m genuinely on the fence.

Reactions: seminole97
Again, not to go too far here, and with the emphasis that I am absolutely not a conspiracy theorist and am an actual practicing dc lawyer, but…
1. While the outcome may well have not have been any different, I have always wondered whether Trump might have turned out different if, like other presidents, he had been given a short term chance to govern rather than instantly having been wrongfully and ham handedly hamstrung as a Russian stooge.
2. It is not a mere coincidence that the various lawsuits - typically but not exclusively by elected local prosecutors - suddenly emerged against a former president, when they did, and typically based on open ended theories such as consumer protection laws.
3. Most recently, I have no doubt that Russians seek to influence elections. But again, having seen some of the concord management came up close and personal, it is absolutely not a coincidence that the governments approach has been to indict persons outside their jurisdiction while letting American citizen “opponents” not named as defendants twist in the wind as part of the allegations against the defendants who will never be tried. Honestly, that’s the tactics of a pussy generally, and a political pussy specifically.

To clear, I’m sure some of these have merit — literally ko one escapes the breadth of a determined regulator these days as Justice Gorsuch has recently pointed out. But they are pretty unprecedented, and if people can’t acknowledge that I probably can’t help. But it’s disturbing to me.

Once upon a time, I had great respect for Eric holder and significant respect for Merrill garland, both of whom were very solid judges and “calm” attorneys general. Less so recently.

FWIW, it’s getting late here and I’ll be signing off. If you’re looking for an internet fight, look elsewhere, but if you’re looking for solace, find it, I suppose, In the fact that I’m genuinely on the fence.
Have a good night. DC lawyer.

Reactions: BGHAWK
At least I have a sense of personal pride and integrity. If I despised and railed against someone for their actions over 8 years, I wouldn't all of a sudden change my opinion of them bc they endorsed my candidate of choice.
I still despise Cheney and think he should be in prison but I am glad he at least has a bit of integrity and is condemning Trump

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT