ADVERTISEMENT

Didn’t know .... Ben Askren was born in IOWA

I think Robbie Lawler went to Bettendorf HS

I wrestled Lawler a few times from 7th grade on up...various local tourneys and a HS offseason tourney. He wrestled nothing like the way he fights. Not with my experience anyways. I thought he was a tad stallish. Every time I wrestled him it was like a low scoring 1-2 point match, but I never lost to him. His practice partner on the other hand, Anthony Briberesco... I couldn’t ever freaking beat him...ever.

Cedar Rapids, IA... I didn’t know that until I saw it on fight night on Saturday night UFC 235... always thought he was born and bread in Wisconsin? He’s a Hawkeye at heart!

Someone at NAIA just told me a story about him. The story is that Askren grew up a die hard Cyclone wrestling fan. Posters all over his walls in his bedroom, the works. And he tried to become a Cyclone and the rumor is that when he met with Bono, Bono said something like, “why would we give you a scholarship? In fact, why should we recruit you? What have you done? Who have you beaten? Have you ever beaten anyone worth writing home about in Freestyle even? Why do you think you belong in our room?” Apparently this pissed Askren off and he went home and ripped all of his Cyclone stuff down and shortly after committed to Mizzou.

Not sure if any truth, but this is word for word what I heard from someone this weekend at NAIA.

And if Ben hates Iowa, it’s not a familial thing. Last year, my brother went to an Eastern Iowa Wrestling Club practice where Max Askren was the clinician. Said he was just awesome...interesting as hell. Bro had to drill and wrestle live with Max the entire time. He said it was one of the most interesting wrestling experiences he’s ever had. He said there were like 15 times where he felt like he not only was in deep on Max, but had him dead in the water about to put him away. And he said the moment he got to the point where he’d think to himself, “holy cow, I’m gonna pin Max Askren, there’s no way he can escape this!” Max would do something at the VERY last second to not only get out of it, but put my bro on his back in the process. He said he’s never met anyone with better mat sense than him...like he was a mat wizard. Only scored on him once or twice and he swears it’s because he let him. Said he talked to him a bit and he is one of the most down to earth wrestlers he’s met.

Actually from Ben and Max dad, Zalesky was recruiting Ben and Barry Davis supposedly "told him not to because he wasn't the kind of guy for Iowa."
Ben doesn't have a love fest for Iowa that's for sure and the Mark Perry incident in the all star meet is just another reason. Iowa still tried to get Max, but he was following his brother.
Ben and Max now have clubs, ABW in Wisconsin and Ben is more involved with Bono with WRTC.
Also if you spend time with them, they're very respectful and knowledgeable.

Actually from Ben and Max dad, Zalesky was recruiting Ben and Barry Davis supposedly "told him not to because he wasn't the kind of guy for Iowa."
Ben doesn't have a love fest for Iowa that's for sure and the Mark Perry incident in the all star meet is just another reason. Iowa still tried to get Max, but he was following his brother.
Ben and Max now have clubs, ABW in Wisconsin and Ben is more involved with Bono with WRTC.
Also if you spend time with them, they're very respectful and knowledgeable.
What's the Mark Perry incident?

Supposedly trash
What's the Mark Perry incident?

As it was told to me there was alot of trash talking between the two, when it came time for them to face off Perry didn't wrestle. There continued to be bad blood and has added to the fire of why Ben has not particularly liked Iowa.
Taking the accounts in to context, you can see his remarks towards Iowa in a different light. But he does attend some of the larger Iowa meets for example when it's two top ranked teams. As far as a fan of ISU I've never ever heard that from him, his brother or dad so I do t know if it's TRUE .

Supposedly trash

As it was told to me there was alot of trash talking between the two, when it came time for them to face off Perry didn't wrestle. There continued to be bad blood and has added to the fire of why Ben has not particularly liked Iowa.
Taking the accounts in to context, you can see his remarks towards Iowa in a different light. But he does attend some of the larger Iowa meets for example when it's two top ranked teams. As far as a fan of ISU I've never ever heard that from him, his brother or dad so I do t know if it's TRUE .
Mark’s stint at 174 was very short lived due to Askren.

Most people dont remember that.
Would also like your take on tbe GOAT questions sometime if you get time.
The remarkable accomplishments of previous wrestlers like Dan Hodge ect shouldn't be left to a few and would be great education for new fans.

Supposedly trash

Yea I don’t remember that.... didnt Ludke wrestle Askren in the finals?

Didn’t know .... Ben Askren was born in IOWA
So was I. All the good ones leave.

Yea I don’t remember that.... didnt Ludke wrestle Askren in the finals?
Mark went up to 174 for a year and it was thought he might be able to out scramble Mr. Askren. Perry was beaten repeatedly by Herbert that year and never got to face Askren.

Reactions: natchrlman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT