ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointment

The loss of Rathbun and Wagner hurts even more. Rathbun was easily putting the beating on Glynn last year.

I don't recall this re Rathbun and Glynn. Rathbun should have stayed I guess if true. . Wagner got destroyed the last 2x by the same ISU guy Glynn just beat.

People are disappointed because it is not like it used to be under a rare and legendary coach.
All year the same people have said we have the foundation for real success in the future but here in March, hearts have weakened.
Nebraska and Oklahoma football is where the real collapse has occurred. Iowa is still top five program. Needed to have the 33 lber from South Dakota State, stay on board.

You do realize the Hawks at the end of the day will qualified 9 out of 10 can you just let the rest of the season play out. Mark my words it will get better these nationals and moving forward. Don’t jump yet if it does not get better I will meet you at your nearest bridge and give you a push myself....:eek::D
Some of our qualifiers might not get many points at nationals, but that group of 9 includes Turk, Gunther, Bowman, and Wilcke. None of these four were elite recruits (all from the local area) and yet the Hawks might garner a couple of AA’s.

Just keepin’ it reeel!

If you look at recruiting over the last 10 years
Iowa has out recruited Penn St.Took the numbers off D1CW in the last 10 years Iowa has been ranked higher then Penn St in 7 of the 10 years.In those 10 years Iowa with 1 title and Penn St with 6.Iowa has had 3 #1 classes and Penn St 1.The 10 year average for recruiting ranking is Iowa 3.7 and Penn St 11.9
Using average recruiting class ranking per year doesn't work for a sport where there are only 10 guys competing and they compete for 4 years. Psu and osu are showing landing an elite class every few years is more important than consistently solid classes every year.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
It is not your sample size. It is what you measuring it against.
My expectations aren't to match the Gable years. My expectations are to not under perform, compared to the bodywork of the season. This is something that has consistently happened over the last 8 years.

They have not underperformed against body of work. They did over achieve through the year and took a couple hits yesterday.

They have not underperformed against body of work. They did over achieve through the year and took a couple hits yesterday.
aAuBT9tWRw6BWzd3g1kO_Confused%20Ryan%20Office.gif

Cute. Not clever but cute.
Easier to say “good point, I will consider it”.
Not asking you to agree but have to see the whole board on its own merit. Kerm had the only real step back but not outside the margin of error.

Not asking you to agree but have to see the whole board on its own merit. Kerm had the only real step back but not outside the margin of error.

Just glanced at a new post on kerm that brings more clarity.

Goodness Gracious.....no....Hall would have had success wherever he went. But HE is the one who said how much he had improved working in the PSU room. It wasn't me that said it. HE supported his statement by clearly improving throughout the year. Lost to Brucki and Meyer in his first non-redshirt match but came back from losses to Bo Jordan and them to win it all......clearly showing improvement. Nolf lost to Nebraska's Berger in High School but teched him in college. There is much evidence of improvement in the PSU room. That is all I am saying. Lee, Turk, Gunther, Young and Bowman have all shown improvement throughout the year.in the IOWA room.....as did Kemmerer until his injury. Lots of guys improve in their college room. But to say certain schools never show much improvement is just plain false. I think I have provided enough names to verify the point. Lots of wrestlers have improved at Ohio State and Oklahoma State as well. Many examples in other schools as well. Recruit rankings are one thing.....transition to the college 7 min. match with riding time exposes some recruits far more than others
Gunther, Young and Bowman have shown improvement? Really? Based on what? 1 is a back up and the others will be lucky to win 2 matches at nationals.

Goodness Gracious.....no....Hall would have had success wherever he went. But HE is the one who said how much he had improved working in the PSU room. It wasn't me that said it. HE supported his statement by clearly improving throughout the year. Lost to Brucki and Meyer in his first non-redshirt match but came back from losses to Bo Jordan and them to win it all......clearly showing improvement. Nolf lost to Nebraska's Berger in High School but teched him in college. There is much evidence of improvement in the PSU room. That is all I am saying. Lee, Turk, Gunther, Young and Bowman have all shown improvement throughout the year.in the IOWA room.....as did Kemmerer until his injury. Lots of guys improve in their college room. But to say certain schools never show much improvement is just plain false. I think I have provided enough names to verify the point. Lots of wrestlers have improved at Ohio State and Oklahoma State as well. Many examples in other schools as well. Recruit rankings are one thing.....transition to the college 7 min. match with riding time exposes some recruits far more than others
Gunther, Young and Bowman have shown improvement? Really? Based on what? 1 is a back up and the others will be lucky to win 2 matches at nationals.

Two of those are fr and so in the toughest conference in the country.

Except it wasn't a good point. You were making my case for me. Now we have Marinelli losing to a guy whom he's beaten twice this year. And you claim we're adequately prepared?

Except it wasn't a good point. You were making my case for me. Now we have Marinelli losing to a guy whom he's beaten twice this year. And you claim we're adequately prepared?

So winning a losing is just a matter of prep?
Did not make your point. Your just hoping that happened.
Beating anyone 3 times in a row is tough at this level. So bull did not prep?
Go ask him. The other guys prep too. Especially guys who have been there before.
Jordan got pinned. Bad prep? Sucks as a wrestler?

Here’s the thing, I started this thread because yesterday was a disappointment. I am a basketball and football fan but some of you on here apparently think others couldn’t possibly like or be into wrestling. Instead of ridiculing people for liking wrestling you get the good old well you didn’t wrestle so go away. I remember winning championships and now we qualify one to the finals if the big ten and I say it was disappointing and a lot of you are wanting some sort of moral victory because well we weren’t supposed to be good. I love watching iowa wrestling and wrestling in general, and yesterday not one person on this board can say that’s a fan that it wasn’t disappointing. End of story and I realize qualifying 9 is great but come on it’s about the quality not the number, some of those guys won’t do anything at all. Which sucks

Did you comment on HR this summer when Gilman won trials and took 2nd at worlds? Did you give any congratulations or appreciation? Or you just show up one weekend a year to focus on the criticism?

I always say, as a fan criticize when warranted, but also congratulate and appreciate when warranted.

Go ask him. The other guys prep too. Especially guys who have been there before.
AM basically loses the same way to Lewis, as he did Massa. But we're prepared!! Makes much more sense that we some how overachieved ALL year, then unfortunately came back down to earth. 8 years in a row.

084.png

AM basically loses the same way to Lewis, as he did Massa. But we're prepared!! Makes much more sense that we some how overachieved ALL year, then unfortunately came back down to earth. 8 years in a row.

084.png

Wasn't the same way at all. One was athletic (Richie) and one was pure strength (Massa). Now, if you want to say Alex is not good in the funk, we would agree but Richie hopped over him to get the two while Massa pulled him in to finish it off.

Reactions: wasdt21 and Chuck C

084.png

Ok. What’s your answer?
Fire brands and get who?
Or
Exactly what is he doing wrong and what’s the fix?

So easy to complain. Give the answer.

Wasn't the same way at all. One was athletic (Richie) and one was pure strength (Massa). Now, if you want to say Alex is not good in the funk, we would agree but Richie hopped over him to get the two while Massa pulled him in to finish it off.
That’s what I was getting at, but you’re absolutely right.

Ok. What’s your answer?
Fire brands and get who?
Or

As I’ve mentioned previously, and you know this, I do not want Brands fired. I cannot pin point exactly what needs to happen, but obviously something needs looked at.

Reactions: Gobblin
I love what Alex Marinelli brings to the table, but he flat out lost to 2 guys he beat during the year. That is BAD any way you slice it. The way in which it happens doesn't matter, you have to beat all styles all the time. Everybody faces the same dilemma.

Love the kid, he's a great Hawk, but he didn't finish the job and he absolutely has the ability to do it. Waiting for the Hawkeyes as a team to rise above this shit for a change.

Two of those are fr and so in the toughest conference in the country.
I agree they are young but I'm also trying to figure out what the improvement comments are based on? Bowman has been brutal the last month and Gunther just won the spot? If any of the three are ever substantial contributors to a championship team I'll be surprised.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Ok. What’s your answer?
Fire brands and get who?
Or

As I’ve mentioned previously, and you know this, I do not want Brands fired. I cannot pin point exactly what needs to happen, but obviously something needs looked at.

I understand the feeling but few of us know what it is like to be a D1 wrestler in the bug10 let alone train one. We just don’t know what is really happening. Could be all the right things.

Brands admitted this year his recruiting style was off. Things are different and we need to let the past go. 8 years or 20.

Every season is new. I see this season as a start and we are ahead of where we all thought we would be.

I think it is crazy to grade a guy AC because he did not get the major against a ranked guy. Especially when most all of us hav not been ranked trying to beat a slightly lower ranked guy. That’s not a “championship” mindset. Just arm chair crap. Not saying you.

I appreciate your last comment. I don’t 100% agree but Easier to just see things differently with someone who demonstrates honest thought. Thanks for that.

Reactions: TailgateTom
I understand the feeling but few of us know what it is like to be a D1 wrestler in the bug10 let alone train one. We just don’t know what is really happening. Could be all the right things.

Brands admitted this year his recruiting style was off. Things are different and we need to let the past go. 8 years or 20.

Every season is new. I see this season as a start and we are ahead of where we all thought we would be.

I think it is crazy to grade a guy AC because he did not get the major against a ranked guy. Especially when most all of us hav not been ranked trying to beat a slightly lower ranked guy. That’s not a “championship” mindset. Just arm chair crap. Not saying you.

I appreciate your last comment. I don’t 100% agree but Easier to just see things differently with someone who demonstrates honest thought. Thanks for that.
These are two very good points. You're right on both things. It's hard not to let the past fog one's view of the present. But we have solid building blocks with some high level kids for years to come!

Reactions: 255
They didn't wrestle last year. Rathbun's performance was unimpressive. So was Glynn's but still not seeing the hurt there.

During multiple practices that I was at. People wonder why Wagner got a full release and Rathbun didn’t. TBH there’s a few $$$ reasons but there is others to be sure

Reactions: wasdt21
Because Hall says so? Good objective way to look at it.

Did you stopped reading? The very next sentence(s) says clearly that he demonstrated said improvement on the mat throughout the season.

To be honest, no I did not read it.
Hall stepped in great. Top level. Personally, I don’t see much change in his wrestling. Really in many of them, I don’t. Zain is the exception. Not saying anything about team development but just don’t see it. (Not a huge fan of his post match behavior sometimes but I am not a celebration guy anyway). Opinion.

To be honest, no I did not read it.
Hall stepped in great. Top level. Personally, I don’t see much change in his wrestling. Really in many of them, I don’t. Zain is the exception. Not saying anything about team development but just don’t see it. (Not a huge fan of his post match behavior sometimes but I am not a celebration guy anyway). Opinion.

I agree with you on the post-match behavior.....even if it is rare. He is usually quite humble but a couple of times...not so much. Hall has about doubled his bonus pt. ratio this year and tightened up his defense. Speaking of improvement......The Marinelli I saw last Nov. and Dec. is noticeably different than this year. He has really improved defensively and converted a high % of his attacks.....except for a couple of matches this past weekend. He works hard....he will figure it out.

Reactions: TarpHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT