ADVERTISEMENT

Grades for BTT

Wow the 112 recruit in the country. Why is he not a superstar, pinning his way to Big 10 titles?

Never before has someone worked so hard to discredit a guy for wrestling 2 spots above his seed. Well done, I guess.
I seriously don't think anyone will object if you want to give him an A.

Reactions: js8793 and T8KUDWN
Amazingly, 112th was a higher ranking than those he beat last weekend. Thanks for proving my point.

Well that's not true. Hutmacher was the top ranked HWT recruit and #21 on the big board.

A recruit ranked in the 100s is no doubt destined for stardom. LOL

I'd say, "Uh-oh, what happened to Cass?"

I think everyone agrees that Hill did a nice job in placing 5th. He has improved throughout the season--certainly from last season.

But I think everyone also agrees that placing 5th in the BTT isn't a goal anyone on the Iowa team should be striving for.

So we have a feel-good personal story ("an A for Hill!") and we have the bigger picture of his performance relative to the level of his competition ("a B- for Hill!"). He was not our 3rd string heavyweight for this tourney, he was our starter, and there's no reason to grade him on a curve out of pity. Don't treat him like he's "Rudy." I suspect he would agree.

No one is doing any of this. This post is embracing the moving goalpost.

Reactions: acuhawk
I'd say, "Uh-oh, what happened to Cass?"

I think everyone agrees that Hill did a nice job in placing 5th. He has improved throughout the season--certainly from last season.

But I think everyone also agrees that placing 5th in the BTT isn't a goal anyone on the Iowa team should be striving for.

So we have a feel-good personal story ("an A for Hill!") and we have the bigger picture of his performance relative to the level of his competition ("a B- for Hill!"). He was not our 3rd string heavyweight for this tourney, he was our starter, and there's no reason to grade him on a curve out of pity. Don't treat him like he's "Rudy." I suspect he would agree.
I was just curious about his thoughts since he brought up the Woods scenario. I don't have any idea wth you're trying to get at with the "pity" and "Rudy" comments. I haven't said anything about HIll deserving more.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I was just curious about his thoughts since he brought up the Woods scenario. I don't have any idea wth you're trying to get at with the "pity" and "Rudy" comments. I haven't said anything about HIll deserving more.
Not aimed at anyone personally :)

Reactions: acuhawk
Well that's not true. Hutmacher was the top ranked HWT recruit and #21 on the big board.

A recruit ranked in the 100s is no doubt destined for stardom. LOL

No one is doing any of this. This post is embracing the moving goalpost.
Then give him an A! It's your grade buddy.

Make more sense that a limb injury. They only affect you after you get ahold of someone, or affect the quickness of you feet if it’s a leg. Viral illness can give you total body fatigue. I just noticed this problem seemed to start after he missed that road trip because he was sick.
It has affected him after getting ahold of something. He has been unable to finish singles on even average guys when he was in deep. He has been unable to turn or even ride many guys he would have titled to a tech fall last year. He has been reversed and run over a couple of times when he was in control or close.
This has been all year. He has only had two or three matches all year where he looked remotely like the guy we saw last year.
Maybe the viral thing has some legs, or one of the injuries mentioned, but there has been something off with him all year.

I feel fine. Just tired of all the excuses we make. But you go ahead and analyze Woods’s body frame-by-frame to figure something out for yourself, don’t let my jokes ruin it for you.

In the end, it really doesn’t matter why he got bulled by Mendez and beat to the punch by Bartlett. He’s got another shot to step up and be the man, our excuses be damned.
Who is We, do you have a parrot on your shoulder?
You dont feel fine, you are obviously suffering from Putz syndrome.
I on the other hand am just enjoying our wrestlers not yours, but ours. I personally make no excuses, but rather try and follow and understand the trials and tribulations of a high level D1 wrestler.
I was what I would consider good wrestler, but not D1 material, I also competed at two other sports at a high level and powerlifting at a very high level. I also have had some very serious athletic injuries that I need to work through, So I do have some basis of my outlook!
Wrestling at the D1 level and getting through the season healthy is extremely difficult so shut your piehole and enjoy our Wrestlers or dont and keep being a PUTZ!

Reactions: acuhawk and T8KUDWN
It has affected him after getting ahold of something. He has been unable to finish singles on even average guys when he was in deep. He has been unable to turn or even ride many guys he would have titled to a tech fall last year. He has been reversed and run over a couple of times when he was in control or close.
This has been all year. He has only had two or three matches all year where he looked remotely like the guy we saw last year.
Maybe the viral thing has some legs, or one of the injuries mentioned, but there has been something off with him all year.
The most consistent problem all year is his riding and turning. He may have a nagging arm injury compounded by the viral illness we know he had.

Who is We, do you have a parrot on your shoulder?
You dont feel fine, you are obviously suffering from Putz syndrome.
I on the other hand am just enjoying our wrestlers not yours, but ours. I personally make no excuses, but rather try and follow and understand the trials and tribulations of a high level D1 wrestler.
I was what I would consider good wrestler, but not D1 material, I also competed at two other sports at a high level and powerlifting at a very high level. I also have had some very serious athletic injuries that I need to work through, So I do have some basis of my outlook!
Wrestling at the D1 level and getting through the season healthy is extremely difficult so shut your piehole and enjoy our Wrestlers or dont and keep being a PUTZ!
Spencer hit the nail on the head. Very few know what we go through and what we have to overcome each year. Nobody cares if your hurt or not, and your opponent definitely doesn't care if you are hurt. You just deal with it and take the tongue lashing from everyone that doesn't know what your dealing with. That isn't making excuses, that is just asking people to realize there is a lot more going on that fans have no idea about. Real Woods is a great example. Neither him nor the coaches have said a word about him this year. It has to be frustrating to be limited with his abilities, but he doesn't make excuses and he handles defeat respectfully and humbly. That shows true character.

Anyone with a wrestling brain can see something is off with Real. What it is only Real and maybe the team doctors and possibly the coaches know. Be it sickness, injury, or HEW none of us know. I do know from all reports Real Woods is a class act and an all around high caliber individual. The community outreach he does mostly unreported makes me a fan. Woods will finish his college career in 2 weeks and I will cheer him. Along with Hardy and Bartlett. Good guys that show the positive side of competition. Win or lose I have never seen Real, Hardy or Bartlett be anything but classy individuals. I give they and their parents and pervious coaches credit for raising them right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT