ADVERTISEMENT

Do you ever try to control your dreams?

Feb 9, 2013
Either to purposely wake up to avoid a bad situation or try to steer it in a positive direction?

Or wake up accidentally and then fall back asleep and resume your dream?

I had a dream last night I was playing golf in a tournament. I was parked on the side of the fairway and Fred Couples tees off behind us and somehow I drove my cart into his ball in flight and when it hit my cart it skipped up and out of bounds. Couples was hollering at me and the marshals all started to converge and I said “Screw it, I’m not dealing with this mess!” and woke up.

Either to purposely wake up to avoid a bad situation or try to steer it in a positive direction?

I had a dream last night I was playing golf in a tournament. I was parked on the side of the fairway and Fred Couples tees off behind us and somehow I drove my cart into his ball in flight and when it hit my cart it skipped up and out of bounds. Couples was hollering at me and the marshals all started to converge and I said “Screw it, I’m not dealing with this mess!” and woke up.
I’ve done something similar. I have a recurring dream that I’m back in college. In the dream I’m about a month or so into the semester and haven’t attended one class or even cracked a book. I’m freaking out looking for syllabi to see if I’ve missed tests or assignments. And then I realize it’s just a dream and relax, and wait for the dream to end or wake up.

I’ve done something similar. I have a recurring dream that I’m back in college. In the dream I’m about a month or so into the semester and haven’t attended one class or even cracked a book. I’m freaking out looking for syllabi to see if I’ve missed tests or assignments. And then I realize it’s just a dream and relax, and wait for the dream to end or wake up.
Well, I'm glad it isn't just me. I've been out of college for 30 years and still have this dream.

A couple of times I realized I was dreaming and said f*** it and started levitating myself.

Other times in the middle of a nightmare I kept trying to ask my wife to wake me up.

Yep. Still have this one or my other favorite as a lawyer: all the stuff I missed on the Jones case — and I don’t really have a Jones case.

I’m still on on directing a really hot Elle Macpherson dream but that’s a work in progress …

Nothing worse than waking up in the middle of a good sex dream.

Then you try to fall back to sleep really fast to get back in it.

tumblr_nhk2vvadII1teru65o2_500.gif
What is she doing? Olive oil is expensive!

Ambien is a hell of a drug
Had a roommate who had a script for that stuff circa the final season of Breaking Bad. At least once a week he would take his Ambien and then not go to bed and have a couple beers with us still planning to go to bed. Black out every time and get weird. One time on like a Tuesday he tried to convince us to go out to the strip club. When we didn't want to, he called a cab and went by himself

Reactions: Scruddy and Moral
I will often wake up, pee while thinking about my dream, go back to sleep to the same dream with some of the changes I thought of while peeing.
Doesn’t happen all the time maybe like 20%.

Occasionally I'm able to wake up and then go back to sleep and resume a dream. There's been a handful of times that I've been able to control what's going on in the dream and that's always ****ing awesome/csb

I have this one too, except it is usually closer to end of semester finals when I realize. Its been over 30 years since grad school and that dream causes panic.

I will often wake up, pee while thinking about my dream, go back to sleep to the same dream with some of the changes I thought of while peeing.
Doesn’t happen all the time maybe like 20%.

I had a dream where I was a knight fighting in a full set of armor.

I had to pee so bad and was having a difficult time trying to get my armor off.

So I just started to pee with my armor still on.

Well, ended up pissing myself as well. Woke up pissing and probably already emptied 80% of my bladder. Said phuck it and let out the remaining 20%.

I was sleeping with my girlfriend at the time on her parent's futon in the basement.

So I'm laying there in a huge puddle of piss trying to figure out how I'm going to explain this to my girlfriend.

Told her exactly what happened. We had a little laugh and then threw the sheets in the washer. She didn't make a big deal of it and we never told her parents.

Ended up marrying her. :)

Reactions: Bulldogs1974

I guess I must have somehow figured out how to control my dreams many years ago. I would say I wake up and remember parts of a dream maybe 5 times a year for the last 10-15 years now.

I've had similar dreams where it's the last week of the semester and I remember I have a 20 page theme paper to write. Add to that I went to school 50 years ago before laptops and word processors came into being and I had to type this paper on a manual typewriter, using white-out to correct any errrorrs.

Reactions: Igor Stravinsky10
If you ever suspect that you may be dreaming, find the nearest light switch and try flicking it on and off; if you are in fact dreaming, then flipping the switch will have no effect.

Reactions: BrianNole777
I never remember my dreams. When I was younger, occasionally I'd have sleep paralysis. That'll scare the sh*t out of you. You're awake, but can't move or talk. It lasts a couple min. Was always awful. Hasn't happened since I started a CPAP.

I never remember my dreams. When I was younger, occasionally I'd have sleep paralysis. That'll scare the sh*t out of you. You're awake, but can't move or talk. It lasts a couple min. Was always awful. Hasn't happened since I started a CPAP.

I had sleeping paralysis for years until I stopped sleeping on my back.

Luckily, OP's Mom doesn't seem to mind...

Reactions: drew_hawk
I used to regularly experience sleep paralysis in the form of a dark nefarious figure entering my room and looming over me while I slept, usually after a false-awakening. Sometimes, the figure would press down against my chest, or squeeze me until I was able to force myself awake, usually in cold sweats. It was terrifying, however it started happening so regularly that I was able to train myself to not panic when I began feeling the presence upon a false awakening. Once I was able to master this, the apparition itself no longer appeared, and instead I began experiencing the feeling of an immense body buzz sensation; this sensation would then lead to levitating off of my bed and floating around the room, as if I had been filled with helium gas. Eventually these body buzz/ levitations became less common and/or pronounced, and it has now been several years since the last time I experienced this phenomenon. CSB

Ughh. I had the piss dream once. In the dream I was standing in front of a urinal, in a hurry to leave for a long road trip. I was trying to force out as much as I could, as fast as I could. (That was the end of an $1100 mattress)

• Wow
I used to regularly experience sleep paralysis in the form of a dark nefarious figure entering my room and looming over me while I slept, usually after a false-awakening. Sometimes, the figure would press down against my chest, or squeeze me until I was able to force myself awake, usually in cold sweats. It was terrifying, however it started happening so regularly that I was able to train myself to not panic when I began feeling the presence upon a false awakening. Once I was able to master this, the apparition itself no longer appeared, and instead I began experiencing the feeling of an immense body buzz sensation; this sensation would then lead to levitating off of my bed and floating around the room, as if I had been filled with helium gas. Eventually these body buzz/ levitations became less common and/or pronounced, and it has now been several years since the last time I experienced this phenomenon. CSB
aliens6-5ad663a8fa6bcc0036e69c5d.jpg

One time I was dreaming that I was at the farm where I grew up. Everything was the way it was in the 70s, with none of the newer buildings, equipment, remodeling, or landscape improvements.

I was lucid enough to know the difference from reality, and that this was not reality. I was able to jump into the air and fly around the farm yard for a while. Every detail from 30 or 40 years prior was perfect. Lasted maybe 2 minutes, then I went back to subconscious dreaming.

I haven't had a full nightmare in probably 20-25 years because I always realize it and wake myself up.

As far as lucid dreaming goes, that's a lot harder for me. I have full control lucid dreams maybe once or twice a year.

Last edited:
I need to try this. I was dreaming that I was at an art fair at what appeared to be Southeast Junior High, but my wife's BFF who teaches in a suburb of Minneapolis was there, and we were told we were in Minnesota. We walked through a warren of rooms looking at things and I saw some people enjoying alcoholic drinks. I walk into a large room and realize my beer was gone. I walk up to a young man at a table where I see my trusty Bud Light bottle coozie next to him, but it has some weird looking beer in it, so I turn around and go to the bar in the corner that I had failed to notice. After an interminable wait I get to the head of the line and am told no beer, just wine.
I ask for something that appears to be a grape juice, but they are serving it by carving off fresh slabs of carp and putting them in the glass. And, that's when I woke up.
I kind of want to see how this ends, and how the carp infused grape juice wine tastes.

Dad passed away a couple of years ago. Occasionally when I dream of him, I realize that it's a dream, but I try to take advantage of it by talking to him to see how he is and that I miss him. Sometimes it works, but very briefly.

The other night my mouth was super dry, and in my dreams I kept drinking, but no relief. I figured I was dreaming and forced myself out of it, but it was a struggle.

I fell asleep watching basketball today, and one dream was that I was at a Lua and they proceeded to chop a hog up and roast it in big chunks, versus the whole hog. They were just carving up bits of it to serve to us when I woke up. That irritated me, so I tried to think of it as I drifted off again only to have a dream that the wife and I were on a runaway riverboat when it flipped and we landed upside down, and I could feel myself drowning. I forced myself to wake at that point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT