ADVERTISEMENT

Do you own a firearm? Poll

Do you own a firearm?

• Total voters
Such a strange take. I know some professional shooters and they just don't strike me as such. They just enjoy the sport.

Do you fit the stereo type of a sleezeball attorney? Personally, I don't think so.

Thanks. I don't get the fascination with killing instruments. It is on me, as well. But I won't understand people that are not in the military or law enforcement that want killling weapons.

If they wanted to go out and use a bow and arrow for sport, I'm good with that. Only Rambo could do much damage with that.

Hunting may be a sport. Killing people is not. And tell me what is the number one cause of our youth death.

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't get the fascination with killing instruments. It is on me, as well. But I won't understand people that are not in the military or law enforcement that want killling weapons.

If they wanted to go out and use a bow and arrow for sport, I'm good with that. Only Rambo could do much damage with that.

Hunting may be a sport. Killing people is not. And tell me what is the number one cause of our youth death.
I appreciate your perspective, JM, and understand where you're coming from. I served in the military too, and I was trained to use weapons responsibly (before, during and after service). They definitely serve a purpose beyond just being "killing instruments."

Growing up, hunting wasn't just a sport for me either – it was a necessity. My family and I hunted in the Ocala National Forest with a group of individuals who were dirt poor, and hunting season was their chance to stock up on venison and wild boar for their families. It wasn't looked at as a "Yee haw" sport, it was taken very seriously.

This isn't necessarily directed at you, Jimmy, but the idea that all gun owners have something to compensate for is such a BS, cop out response aimed at a small sect of gun owners who feel they need to tout their gun prowess with ridiculous open carry laws, public displays, family photos with AR-15s, etc. There are many others – farmers, ranchers, hunters, professional marksmen, and people like me who've been in situations where a gun was actually necessary for self-defense.

I believe in reasonable gun control measures and think people like those in opposition in this thread need allies like me. But too often, those who criticize gun owners make sweeping generalizations instead of recognizing the diversity of responsible gun owners who also want sensible regulations. In fact, here are 5 reasonable gun reform measures I'd be fine with:
  • Raise the Gun Purchasing Age to 21 (18 with Honorable Military Service)
    • Ensure that individuals must be at least 21 years old to purchase firearms, with an exception for those 18 and older who have served or are serving honorably.
  • Universal Background Checks
    • Implement mandatory background checks for all gun purchases, including private sales and gun shows, to ensure that firearms are not sold to individuals with a criminal record or history of mental illness.
  • Mandatory Waiting Period
    • Enforce a mandatory waiting period of at least 7 days for all firearm purchases to allow for thorough background checks and a cooling-off period for the purchaser.
  • Mandatory Gun Safety Training and Licensing
    • Require all prospective gun owners to complete a certified gun safety training course and obtain a license before purchasing a firearm. This would ensure that individuals are knowledgeable about safe handling, storage, and operation of firearms.

Boys I gotta tell ya you really fu.cking suck shit in this thread. Jimmy and Alaska you both know I like both of you and here we have a perfectly good gun thread and you buttfuc.ks are finding ways to bring gun debate into it. You fellas are giving off strong "let's go talk to the stripper" vibes.

Seriously boys, give your fuc.king balls a tug ya tit fu.ckers.

Jimmy, I love hunting, but one thing I don't think the "killing tool" debate brings in is the self competition of accuracy. If you can understand how someone would play golf by themselves to beat their best round you HAVE to be able to understand how guys would want to make holes touch at 100 yards, and then you try 200, and then 3..... and the next thing you know your legit thinking that 8k scope is the difference between you making the shot in low light conditions and your inability to get it under 4 moa meanwhile your wife wants to go from a Chevy to a Mercedes.

This thread however also gives us another joy of gun ownership, which as a history buff I'm surprised you don't enjoy more, and that is a look firearms that were so well engineered they are over 100 years old and to this day function perfectly. Which is crazy when you consider thier function is to contain an explosion. With most of those firearms seeing huge advancements due to wars.

In conclusion:

SCAR-17S-FDE_031.jpg

trench.jpg

tumblr_n09sntCbNI1sjyz08o1_500.gif

Last edited:
Scandinavian countries have high levels of gun ownership, what do we have that they don’t that adds to the gun violence stats?

I know lots of people who own firearms, but don't hunt. I'm not aware of any of those people having a desire to kill anyone or anything. Those people typically go to the range to practice. Firearms are a tool. It's kind of like a car jack in that you never want to need it, but you have it and know how to use it if you need it.

Very few people live in fear of having a flat tire unless they are driving on bald tires. They know it's a possibility, but there's no fear. Same with suburban and rural people being in fear they will be killed.

Reactions: seminoleed
Scandinavian countries have high levels of gun ownership, what do we have that they don’t that adds to the gun violence stats?

Ever read what’s required to get and maintain ownership of a gun in a Scandinavian country like Norway? Classes. Licensing. Registries. Etc. Gun nutter’s heads would explode in ‘Merica yelling “Ma rights!!!” at every turn.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Ever read what’s required to get and maintain ownership of a gun in a Scandinavian country like Norway? Classes. Licensing. Registries. Etc. Gun nutter’s heads would explode in ‘Merica yelling “Ma rights!!!” at every turn.
I’m good with all that. But my point is, poverty and mental health.

No, I’m not a pussy who has to compensate for a tiny dick.

And I have no need for defense because that is a bullshit excuse.
Always loved this angle. Not unlike the big truck/small dick thing. What puzzles me is why is someone's dick the first thing that comes to mind for you?

OP my 2 cents:

Home defense shotgun, semi auto, the last thing you are going to want in a high adrenaline situation is to remember to pump. You don't practice this everyday, take the easy path. I have an old nova I love but I miss the 2nd bird the 1st time I take it out, every time, because I forget to pump and I grew up on an 870.

I'd go benell, pretty short barrel, put a light and the extra ammo holster on it. No scope, your going to be in youe house you don't need a scope, if you are out of your house, you shouldn't shoot.

Honestly, consider a 20. Loads today are wicked and there is some legimaticy to staying on target with a 20 over a 12, unless you are a good sized guy and are comfortable with eating it, remember we are talking full blood home defense loads you are going to be practicing with.( If there is bad guy in front of you you can put a cannon on your shoulder you won't feel it. Or a drake mallard)

AR:

For this purpose I have a Daniel defense and FN m4, this all comes down to budget. In the AR world you get what you pay for. Put a light on it, open sights.

Pistol:

I'm not a glock guy but they really do fu.cking work. They just go and when you need it to work that's priority 1,2,3,4,5. I have aG19 I carry. I don't like shooting it, it's too small for my hand, but it carries well and if I do ever need it I know it will go bang and I can hit a paper plate at 20 yards all day long and that's good enough for self defense.

The upgrade I would encourage you to consider is the CZ p10 line. I use one as my nightstand gun and it's every bit as reliable as the clock but fits much better and is much more accurate.

Practice practice practice. Buy dummy rounds and work on failure to fires. Practice in low light. Practice left handed. It isn't about how good you are when you are good, it's about how good you are when you are bad.

Last edited:
Always loved this angle. Not unlike the big truck/small dick thing. What puzzles me is why is someone's dick the first thing that comes to mind for you?
There is a 90% chance his grandfather owned a gun and 100% chance his great grandfather owned one.

The difference is those men understood the freedom that comes with a lifestyle not attached to the supply chain.

I’m good with all that. But my point is, poverty and mental health.

Sticking with Norway:

Poverty - 5.5M people, strict immigration rules that keep people out and that number steady and manageable, and oil reserves off the coast that are the envy of most nations. They’ve got a very happy, content, and mostly cared for populace, something the USA does not have.

Mental health - the regulations above are meant to keep them out of the hands of the crazy, even though an Anders Breivik sneaks through occasionally.

870 wingmaster I bought when I was 16 for hunting. Haven't had it out in quite some time. My work schedule doesn't allow for much time to hunt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT