ADVERTISEMENT

Do You Rent Your Modem/Router From Your ISP?

mcgrawfsu

HR MVP
Jan 6, 2007
I just checked my bill with Comcast and they charge $14/month for the Modem/Router. Are there any reliable alternatives?

I just checked my bill with Comcast and they charge $14/month for the Modem/Router. Are there any reliable alternatives?

Yes.

Go look for a Comcast router for sale on NextDoor or Ebay.
You can look up compatible models on Comcast's site (ones they "approve" for use, so you will get support from them if you have any difficulties).

You can always just buy something off BestBuy or whatever, but if it not on their list, then you will have to figure out how to configure it yourself (Google usually makes this fairly straightforward)

But if you want a modem Comcast will provide tech support for, find a working used one. Most will last a decade or more. I have a 10 yr old DSL modem as a "backup" that is still on the list of compatible/approved ones for Centurylink.

If you look around, you can usually find one for "free" (Nextdoor, someone moving and just wants to get rid of it) or for well under $50. New might run you $100-200 depending on the model. And I run my modem in transparent Bridge mode, so I have a good wifi Apple Airport Extreme router and don't care how good the wireless for the modem is.

If you need to use it for wifi, too, then compare specs on that, or you might end up with a shitty router.

Reactions: h-hawk and GOHOX69
Yes. A modem is less than $100 and the router depends on your house size.

The reality is, you ONLY need the modem for connection; you can use whatever router you want and get better coverage/faster speeds with an existing router.

Most of the "rentals" are used as both a modem and a router, and the ISPs don't want you to recognize that you can use your own, better router.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I looked into it earlier this year and concluded that it would take a few years to make back my investment in a compatible modem, so I let it fall by the wayside.

What are the keys to a good modem or modem/router combo? There is a bunch of tech language in the description that I don't understand.

For example -
Arris SURFboard (16x4) Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem Plus AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router,
  • 3 products in 1: DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, AC1900 dual-band Wi-Fi Router, 4 Port Gigabit Ethernet Router (cable digital voice service not supported)
  • 16 downstream & 4 upstream DOCSIS 3.0 bonded channels. Best for cable internet speed plans up to 400 Mbps.
  • Wi-Fi 5 AC1900 dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports

Internet speeds up to 400 Mbps is the only thing I understand.

The mediacom installer called me the day before my appointment for install and asked if I had a router. When I said no he said to go to Best Buy and purchase this router and he would install for me. He said the mediacom routers were overpriced junk.

Probably got special treatment because he is my brother in law.

No. Renting the cable company's junk equipment is a ripoff. Coincidentally we just had this discussion in our neighborhood this weekend, over beer drinking. We all have the same internet provider but those who rent the equipment think the provider is the worst ever while those who bought their own have zero issues and fast speeds.

Arris Surfboard modem, Archer C9 router. Great coverage, fast speeds, no issues.

I used to have Mediacom cable provided w/my apartment so I sprung for the TiVo package. The install guy told me I had to use their modem/router to use the TiVo. Went thru 4 crap routers from Mediacom until the last repair guy told me I'd been lied to.

I use their internet now because it's the only quality internet option and stream YTTV but I'll never use their products again.

Nope, bought a Motorola Cable Modem from the Facebook marketplace a couple years ago for $25. The tivo's wouldn't communicate with each other though and Mediacom said I needed a Moca Adapter that they sell me for $40. Found it on Ebay for $10. Everything's been working fine since.

The reality is, you ONLY need the modem for connection; you can use whatever router you want and get better coverage/faster speeds with an existing router.

Most of the "rentals" are used as both a modem and a router, and the ISPs don't want you to recognize that you can use your own, better router.

Exactly. My AT&T router blows as far as wireless so I put that sucker in bridge mode and ran it thru a high end Cisco. Much better.

Reactions: Joes Place
I'm using an Arris Surfboard combination modem/router,.. paid around $100 for it at Best Buy,.. don't rent this stuff from your internet service provider....

Reactions: Finance85
Didn't realize this was a thing. I just have my wife call the cable guy if we ever have issues. Which knock on wood we don't. Then again just plugging in the TV is high tech for me.

I‘ve done both and renting works for me. They maintain and replace the modem if misbehaving and sent two new ones since the old ones didn’t support the speed upgrades. I can also use their hotspots but rarely do.

recommend me a new router

currently have an ISP provided modem/router but we are going to upgrade the speed and will now need to provide the router ourselves

2000 square feet 2 story home w/ steaming TV in garage
two gamer kids

I think I rent the main gateway, but I have the Wi-Fi disabled in favor of an eero mesh system rather than pay $10 per month, per extender from AT&T.

recommend me a new router

currently have an ISP provided modem/router but we are going to upgrade the speed and will now need to provide the router ourselves

2000 square feet 2 story home w/ steaming TV in garage
two gamer kids

I have stuck Google's Wi-Fi devices in the most tech illiterate of people's houses and never hear from them again about WiFi. A 3 pack would cover that space pretty easily.

Google Nest WiFi Pro - 6E - Reliable Wi-Fi System with Fast Speed and Whole Home Coverage - Mesh Wi-Fi Router - 3 Pack - Snow, Linen, Fog https://a.co/d/bSULRz9

I have stuck Google's Wi-Fi devices in the most tech illiterate of people's houses and never hear from them again about WiFi. A 3 pack would cover that space pretty easily.

Google Nest WiFi Pro - 6E - Reliable Wi-Fi System with Fast Speed and Whole Home Coverage - Mesh Wi-Fi Router - 3 Pack - Snow, Linen, Fog https://a.co/d/bSULRz9

These have been solid for me for a few years now.

Reactions: Moral
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT