ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think he will respond?

TNHAWK79

HR All-State
Jul 28, 2012
Email I sent to our beloved AD. I’m tired of this sh!t- he didn’t impress me when I was there, and far less even now.

Gary,

You and I have met a few times. In fact, I worked for the university of Iowa, I bleed black and gold, I grew up in Iowa, and now raise the next Hawkeye generation.

Kirk said it best, “we are in the entertainment industry.” To put bluntly, This product on the field is a national joke and has lacked entertainment value for a while. What makes it worse is no one seems to care. I know the culture within the Iowa athletic department, everyone has been complacent in their jobs for over 20 years. I put you in the camp!

Who’s job is it to ensure a quality program for the prices you are charging? Who’s job is it to hold the coaching staff accountable? Our family will not be attending anymore games until change is made. I don’t think you fully grasp how bad this offense has become. Either Kirk is too stubborn to change or Brian is too incompetent to be the OC. Either way that change starts with you. How far do we have to fall before you recognize a change needs to occur? We have 6 offensive TDs through 6 games!! Texas just scored 7 TDs last week! This offense is so bad and predictable that Ray Charles can see the next play, and the next one. It’s embarrassing that Kirk rides off the coattails of a 10-win season last year. If not for an easy schedule and a solid defense it would've been 6-6. Read the article below, that every Hawkeye fan relates to, and tell me we are not a national joke in college football? I’m not sure if you have the testicle fortitude to make a change, feel free to borrow mine.

I can promise you fewer fans will be showing up, season renewals will drastically decrease, 10-12 players will enter the portal, recruits have already decommitted, any Kirk’s answer will be, “we won 10 games two years ago.” College football programs are the front porch to the university. When student enrollment dips, I will love to hear your argument. Especially as the AD that signed the worst extension in college football, to a 70 year old coach that no one would hire away given his age.

I love Kirk, I love what he did for the program, but his best years are in the rear view mirror. Brian is in over his head, Ray Charles can also see that. Iowa players and Iowa fans deserve better than this and you are to blame! Coaches have been fired for less yet you celebrate and reward mediocrity.

Disappointed Hawkeye Ambassador

https://hawkeyeswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/09/im-tired-of-watching-iowa-hawkeyes-football/

If you truly sent this as is, no I would not expect a response. A lot of what you say is true in the eyes of many Hawk fans. But if you want to make an impression with someone at this level in an organization , I would stick to making your points without trying to humor yourself with your sharp wit.

your can still send a scathing message to get your point across, but between the repeated Ray Charles cracks and letting him know how much testicular fortitude you supposedly have to spare……your credibility is now circling the drain.

JMO of course.

If you truly sent this as is, no I would not expect a response. A lot of what you say is true in the eyes of many Hawk fans. But if you want to make an impression with someone at this level in an organization , I would stick to making your points without trying to humor yourself with your sharp wit.

your can still send a scathing message to get your point across, but between the repeated Ray Charles cracks and letting him know how much testicular fortitude you supposedly have to spare……your credibility is now circling the drain.

JMO of course.
Agreed. There will be no response unless it is one of those form letters thanking the Disappointed Ambassador for his interest in Hawkeye athletics.

If the OP were really interested in getting a response, he would show more respect even while being critical. For starters, open the letter with "Dear Mr. Barta." A disrespectful letter doesn't deserve a response. It deserves to go in the shredder.

Sorry if I triggered you, I guess the offense and lack of decision making gets a pass.

So you’ll watch this train wreck, bitch in the website, But criticizing a letter is where you draw the line? Got it. I’m happy to read what you wrote.
What you don’t understand is that I worked with the man, I know him, I’ve seen where he excels and flashes brilliance. I’ve also witnessed scenarios where I’m scratching my head, I know the department and the lack of envolvement. the reality is the fans have carried this brand for a long time. I was a Hawkeye before Kirk arrived, will be after. Wearing black and gold and putting up the flag has nothing to do with Ferentz or Barta.

He'll probably reply. It will probably go something like this.-

Confused Hawkeye fan,
Coach Ferentz didn't say it best. He is in the winning industry. The team won 10 games last season and has been a pillar of success in college football for over twenty years. I feel sorry for you that winning isn't entertaining. Find another team.
G-Barta

He'll probably reply. It will probably go something like this.-

Confused Hawkeye fan,
Coach Ferentz didn't say it best. He is in the winning industry. The team won 10 games last season and has been a pillar of success in college football for over twenty years. I feel sorry for you that winning isn't entertaining. Find another team.
G-Barta
Is that you, Gary? I would expect nothing less.

Email I sent to our beloved AD. I’m tired of this sh!t- he didn’t impress me when I was there, and far less even now.

Gary,

You and I have met a few times. In fact, I worked for the university of Iowa, I bleed black and gold, I grew up in Iowa, and now raise the next Hawkeye generation.

Kirk said it best, “we are in the entertainment industry.” To put bluntly, This product on the field is a national joke and has lacked entertainment value for a while. What makes it worse is no one seems to care. I know the culture within the Iowa athletic department, everyone has been complacent in their jobs for over 20 years. I put you in the camp!

Who’s job is it to ensure a quality program for the prices you are charging? Who’s job is it to hold the coaching staff accountable? Our family will not be attending anymore games until change is made. I don’t think you fully grasp how bad this offense has become. Either Kirk is too stubborn to change or Brian is too incompetent to be the OC. Either way that change starts with you. How far do we have to fall before you recognize a change needs to occur? We have 6 offensive TDs through 6 games!! Texas just scored 7 TDs last week! This offense is so bad and predictable that Ray Charles can see the next play, and the next one. It’s embarrassing that Kirk rides off the coattails of a 10-win season last year. If not for an easy schedule and a solid defense it would've been 6-6. Read the article below, that every Hawkeye fan relates to, and tell me we are not a national joke in college football? I’m not sure if you have the testicle fortitude to make a change, feel free to borrow mine.

I can promise you fewer fans will be showing up, season renewals will drastically decrease, 10-12 players will enter the portal, recruits have already decommitted, any Kirk’s answer will be, “we won 10 games two years ago.” College football programs are the front porch to the university. When student enrollment dips, I will love to hear your argument. Especially as the AD that signed the worst extension in college football, to a 70 year old coach that no one would hire away given his age.

I love Kirk, I love what he did for the program, but his best years are in the rear view mirror. Brian is in over his head, Ray Charles can also see that. Iowa players and Iowa fans deserve better than this and you are to blame! Coaches have been fired for less yet you celebrate and reward mediocrity.

https://hawkeyeswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/09/im-tired-of-watching-iowa-hawkeyes-football/
You sent that?

Sorry if I triggered you, I guess the offense and lack of decision making gets a pass.

So you’ll watch this train wreck, bitch in the website, But criticizing a letter is where you draw the line? Got it. I’m happy to read what you wrote.
What you don’t understand is that I worked with the man, I know him, I’ve seen where he excels and flashes brilliance. I’ve also witnessed scenarios where I’m scratching my head, I know the department and the lack of envolvement. the reality is the fans have carried this brand for a long time. I was a Hawkeye before Kirk arrived, will be after. Wearing black and gold and putting up the flag has nothing to do with Ferentz or Barta.
Not sure what "triggered" means in this context, but who said Barta gets a pass or that you shouldn't send a critical letter? You can be critical, but if you want a response, don't be an ass.

Agreed. There will be no response unless it is one of those form letters thanking the Disappointed Ambassador for his interest in Hawkeye athletics.

If the OP were really interested in getting a response, he would show more respect even while being critical. For starters, open the letter with "Dear Mr. Barta." A disrespectful letter doesn't deserve a response. It deserves to go in the shredder.
These are the same people that complain about the soft ball media "not going after Kirk"..............

Same concept applies.

Gary,

ok why didn’t you and your testicles sign your name to it Ambassador….. it’s not as clever as you think

Reactions: Hawkdiver

Gary,

If you worked with Gary, how did you meet just a few times?
If you worked at the University why would you not pen a general letter addressed to Gary, his boss, and whomever else you would deem important in the hierarchy and sign your name?
There comes a point that everyone behind the scenes at the University knows there are some issues that need addressed. Personnel issues are private for a multitude of legal reasons.
Week after week people pound this to death when the reality is there are discussions taking place every week above and beyond Kirk on what changes need made and how to go about them.

Gary,

The arrogance level of even thinking you'll get a response is comical.

As a fan you think you are owed some sort of an explanation?

Reactions: HemiHawk
If you worked with Gary, reach out to him like a grown up.

Or, you can pretend on a football message board that you emailed a screed to him and now you're all huffy and triggered.

What a snowflake.

He likely will respond with a scripted answer, spinning all the positives with zero acknowledgment there is any offensive problems whatsoever. Your email to Barta is spot on!

Last edited:
Reactions: solaradna
I sent Barta an email on Sunday. It read:

Dear Mr. Barta,

Please, do your job!

Sincerely,
(My real name)

Gary,

I like it. No, he won’t respond. At least you are making the point and asking the questions.

Reactions: hawkosx

Dear TNHAWK,
While I appreciate your sentiments. People are teaching a better way to get the desired outcome. We agree the situation is dire, but so is the state of your email. Clean it up. Make it something a professional would read. Then you might be on to something.
Best Wishes,
A Hawk Fan

Gary,

I would not respond to this. If you want a response don't act like an immature jackass.

Gary,

I would be surprised if Barta responded.

Gary,

What's your email address?

OP will probably get a "form" response, but it won't be directly from Barta. In fact, Barta will likely not even see/read the email.

The best way to get someone in a position like Barta's attention is to send a letter, NOT an email. Make your feelings known, but do it politely.

People in important positions get tons of emails, but very few letters.

The arrogance level of even thinking you'll get a response is comical.

As a fan you think you are owed some sort of an explanation?
Do you really think that I was hoping for a response after I wrote that? It was a rhetorical question. I don’t expect him to respond, I know he won’t- I wouldn’t.

Gary,

Wow, what a ridiculous e-mail. I'm sure you would be too embarassed to send that. What a crock !

Gary,

Stevie Wonder saw improvement though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT