ADVERTISEMENT

Dochterman says that once a couple QBs hit the Portal Iowa will be all over them

Doc is spot on here. Should be selling the portal qb’s that they are competing for the starting spot, not the backup.

he pretty much says that the QB room right now should be this:

QB1: Cade
QB2: a Transfer to compete with Cade
QB3: Marco (or Deacon)

Let's face it. Lester has his hands full with the mess he inherited.

Did the Ohio State QB enter yet?
*edit KAKERT* said on the Hawkeye of the storm video with don Patterson after the spring practice that someone in the program said Lincoln kienholz was never an option and even if he was in the ports he wouldn’t be an option. (Which I find strange as heck) he did say Devin Brown would be a guy they would look at if he entered the portal. I’m having a hard time thinking who they would be interested in that may hit the portal yet. Any ideas guys?

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
There is a lot to like if you are a possible QB. Assuming the competition is legit, you have a chance to win the job over a guy who has had trouble staying healthy. At the very worst, you catapult to #2 and are waiting in the wings.

There really are playmakers on the field in Brown, Johnson, Washington, Lachey, and others.
The defense is a top 10 defense (maybe 5?).

$$$ will be where we can't compete with some of the other big dogs out there.

Doc said on the Hawkeye of the storm video with don Patterson after the spring practice that someone in the program said Lincoln kienholz was never an option and even if he was in the ports he wouldn’t be an option. (Which I find strange as heck) he did say Devin Brown would be a guy they would look at if he entered the portal. I’m having a hard time thinking who they would be interested in that may hit the portal yet. Any ideas guys?
From the MAC probably.

Doc said on the Hawkeye of the storm video with don Patterson after the spring practice that someone in the program said Lincoln kienholz was never an option and even if he was in the ports he wouldn’t be an option. (Which I find strange as heck) he did say Devin Brown would be a guy they would look at if he entered the portal. I’m having a hard time thinking who they would be interested in that may hit the portal yet. Any ideas guys?
Why wouldn’t Lincoln have been a qb to pursue?

Why wouldn’t Lincoln have been a qb to pursue?
That’s why I thought it was weird Karkert mentioned that. But he said he talked to someone in the program and said that it was completely made up. Then said they wouldn’t have gone after him if he was in the portal. I think he said something like “I can tell you it’s NOT Lincoln kienholz… when they asked who iowa might be looking at.
But idk if he knows anything or not. I’m just repeating what he said.

Anyone else get the feeling they have a couple guys in mind that they want? That is what I said, Tim knows exactly what he is looking for and sometimes it is better to go to the prom stag then with a gal you really do not want those pictures with. Nothing wrong with being selective, especially when you have a potential top 10 defense. The right choice could be all the difference.

From Buckeye huddle post spring game regarding QBs:

Quick Position Overview

The Buckeyes entered spring camp with five scholarship quarterbacks. Many questions surrounded Ryan Day’s ability to provide those five quarterbacks with enough reps to gather sufficient information to move forward, as well as to give them the reps they needed to improve. All five are talented individuals, but there is one glaring difference between one of them and the other four: the experience of Will Howard, the Kansas State transfer who has over 20 starts to his credit. In contrast, everyone else on the Ohio State quarterback roster has just one start combined, and that was Devin Brown’s start in the Cotton Bowl last year, which lasted about one quarter before he was injured. Brown has been in the system the longest, but doesn’t have a ton to show for it. Redshirt freshman Lincoln Kienholz was thrust into the Cotton Bowl last year and through not fault of his own was not ready for it. He has moved on from that experience, learned from it, and used it as fuel to get right this season. True freshmen Julian Sayin and Air Noland both enrolled early, which is great for them, but it made finding reps for everyone more challenging.

Expectations Going In

The expectations going in were that this was going to be a competition for the starting job between Will Howard and Devin Brown. That was going to be the story. That was going to be the duo from which the starting job would eventually be decided. Devin Brown has not been able to show much in his time at Ohio State due to a lack of opportunity and injuries. Will Howard had ups and downs at Kansas State, with plenty to like and plenty to wonder about. Lincoln Kienholz was thought to be a possibility for contention. Basically, could he make enough of a push in the spring to get into the race?

Reality Coming Out

The reality coming out of spring practice is that this is still a competition between Devin Brown and Will Howard. Lincoln Kienholz was repping third. Julian Sayin was fourth, and Air Noland was fifth. All five quarterbacks got reps throughout with the first team, however. They rotated constantly, but it was Brown and Howard who got the most reps. It’s just sometimes those reps were with the twos and threes. The other reality is that Sayin seemingly closed in on Kienholz quite a bit.

Any Surprises?

The surprise was probably Julian Sayin and the move he made this spring. After enrolling at Alabama and then transferring to Ohio State shortly after Nick Saban’s retirement, it wasn’t clear exactly what to expect. How quickly would he pick things up? How quickly would he integrate into a new place? Turns out, it didn’t take all that long. He’s the type of guy who always wants to be the smartest quarterback in the room and works hard to make that happen. He picks things up quickly and processes things quickly. He is criticized for not looking like your NFL prototype, but he gets rid of the ball quickly and gets it to the right places. He is still just a freshman, but he performed in a much more advanced way this spring than most freshmen.

That’s why I thought it was weird Karkert mentioned that. But he said he talked to someone in the program and said that it was completely made up. Then said they wouldn’t have gone after him if he was in the portal. I think he said something like “I can tell you it’s NOT Lincoln kienholz… when they asked who iowa might be looking at.
But idk if he knows anything or not. I’m just repeating what he said.
Have to make sure there’s no potential claims of tampering after the self-reported violation over the winter.

One would think you could find a qb with three years of eligibility left and tell him he will be the guy in 2025. And if something happens to Cade, you are starting for a top 25 caliber team. There have to be guys from the non-power 4 or FCS that would jump at the chance.

Anyone have a Twitter/X account that follows Barnes or the other coaches? Any interesting follows was how I figured out potential transfer player early last offseason, but I no longer use Twitter… I would imagine Barnes would instantly follow a QB they were looking at. Or the Swarm guys….

I don't think NWs QB entering the portal the same time as Deac is a coincidence. He was recruited by Lester when he was at WMU. Good news is he has 2 yrs of eligibility left, so would be a good insurance for Cade this year and then could be a potential starter next year. Let's make it happen Brad! 😀

I don't think NWs QB entering the portal the same time as Deac is a coincidence. He was recruited by Lester when he was at WMU. Good news is he has 2 yrs of eligibility left, so would be a good insurance for Cade this year and then could be a potential starter next year. Let's make it happen Brad! 😀
Insurance? Might just have to make him the starter this year. Cade can still barely walk at this point unfortunately.

Or one where you know you have a top 5 defense that has your back.

Do you ever find yourself wishing there were two boards. One for the perpetually nasty and negative and one for those who actually want to discuss actual football and potential, without the….

KF sucks….

Deacon Hill is fat….

Brian is an idiot…

Wow….what a depressing place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT