ADVERTISEMENT

Does CJ Fred have NBA potential?

I don't know about LG having the best shot at the NBA.I don't think any of the three, CJF,JW or LG play good enough defense right now to make it in the NBA. You can score 20 pts a game but if the guy you're guarding is hanging 28 on ya you ain't playing in the league for very long. I think JW's length and athleticism gives him the edge to become a better defender and hence a better shot at a career in the league.

It's a good debate. Time will tell. :)

3 and D has been working for Korver for almost 2 decades. It won’t be easy, but it is possible if he can improve his game and athleticism over the next several years. I don’t see him leaving early though. The 3 and D guys are usually 2nd founders or UDFAs. The major thing working against him is his height. Being at only 6’3” really hampers your ability to play SG in the NBA unless you are an elite skilled player.

Agreed. Making the NBA period is a very, very small chance for any player. Let alone the role you are describing. 6-3 is a huge thing to overcome, as you pointed out Korver is 6-6 or 6-7. I'll just enjoy watching him play at Iowa for 3 more years and hope he gets an opportunity to get paid to play basketball somewhere.

Reactions: Eternal Return
CJ will play in the NBA, Hes 6-4 and has very long arms....He shoots it from NBA range already and is a wonderful passer- decision maker- and is teams best defender. He gets the ball to players right when their open and creates for others. CJ can do everything TJ McConnell and even Kirk Hinrich. Look at Tyler Herro and Donte DiVincenzo he already shoots it at a higher clip than those two, I bet he comes out after the year like Joey did to see where he is and needs to work on. I love the kids game and wish we ran some plays for him.

CJ will play in the NBA, Hes 6-4 and has very long arms....He shoots it from NBA range already and is a wonderful passer- decision maker- and is teams best defender. He gets the ball to players right when their open and creates for others. CJ can do everything TJ McConnell and even Kirk Hinrich. Look at Tyler Herro and Donte DiVincenzo he already shoots it at a higher clip than those two, I bet he comes out after the year like Joey did to see where he is and needs to work on. I love the kids game and wish we ran some plays for him.

Is he actually 6'4? He looks more around 6'2 to me.

I also don't see him as being similar to the guys you listed, other than skin color.

CJs game reminds me of Klay Thompson but he just doesn't have the size.

If he was 6'6 I would say he has a great shot but his size to athleticism ratio is going to make it unlikely.

You heard it here here...CJ Fredrick is better than Kirk Hinrich.

There is no way this is a serious post.

you can be a step slower in the nba if you have a quick release and shoot a high percentage. CJ's shot is very slow at this point.

I’ll say it again, T.J. McConnell. If C. J. works on his handle and lateral quickness as well as improving incrementally overall the next few years on the rest. He is already bigger than T..J. and will find a place as a league role player for years.

LOL. Redick averaged 15, 16, 22, and 27 in his 4 college seasons and is a hell of a lot quicker than cjf will ever be.
Not saying that we should be setting JJ Redick level expectations for CJ, but he is averaging double digits as a RS Freshman on three and a half less shots per game than Redick did as a Fr, and is shooting higher percentages from both two and three than JJ did

I’ll say it again, T.J. McConnell. If C. J. works on his handle and lateral quickness as well as improving incrementally overall the next few years on the rest. He is already bigger than T..J. and will find a place as a league role player for years.

Fredrick's game is nothing like McConnell's. McConnell is the mold of Anthony Carter, Lindsay Hunter, & Anthony Johnson (backup PG who comes in to pass, play D, & never shoot).

If the rumor of CJ going home to Kentucky or Louisville is true he def will play in the NBA

I don't doubt it. Just saying they don't play the same. Fredrick plays more like Devin Booker or Jordan Carkson. Also Norm Powell.
Pretty clear they have different trajectories, while C.J. is clearly different offensively at this stage in college it is clear he has an aptitude and attitude for defense. C.J. Isn’t going to get to the NBA trying to be as athletic as the players you listed (lol)... or hunting shots.
However, he will get there focusing on the things you listed McConnell being prized for and the additional offensive skill and size will just be gravy. Again, they aren’t identical and I never clearly said they were, I did explain they could have a similar path to making it.

The number one thing T.J. brings is a winning culture to a team. Culture based on team first toughness and accountability with a mountain of hustle. He has just enough talent to turn it into a pretty nice career. This is rarer than you think.

I think C.J. could have a similar if not better experience in a ideal scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawk-Fran1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT