ADVERTISEMENT

Does Jamie Pollard have a point?

The tricky part in all of this is where do you draw the line? The "second tier" programs (meaning solid P5 but not Bama, tOSU) move up and down quite a bit from year to year. Look at the B1G for example. Where would you draw the line? Look at the B1G. Mich St, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota were all near or at the bottom last year, but have all competed for a division title recently.

Cutting the classic P5 list of 69 teams down to 32 would be tricky. Plenty of teams that hover around that midline.

I think the most likely scenario is bigger teams saying, we'll take a bigger share of the pie.
I think we can all agree, Nebraska should be the first to go. Then Maryland. Then it gets a little tougher.

He absolutely has a point. The day U$C and UCLA were announced, everyone not named O$U, UMich and P$U became "lesser". Who will have a bigger say and more influence, CA schools (plural), Iowa or WI? Every smaller-market B1G school became expendable. Just ask Wazzu and OR State.
Part of the problem for Oregon State and Washington State is their location on the West Coast for tv viewing.

Iowa/Wisconsin don't have that issue.

Apples to Oranges.

Pollard realizes the Big12 lost their only two marquee programs and he's bitter.

He absolutely has a point. The day U$C and UCLA were announced, everyone not named O$U, UMich and P$U became "lesser". Who will have a bigger say and more influence, CA schools (plural), Iowa or WI? Every smaller-market B1G school became expendable. Just ask Wazzu and OR State.

You’re 100% correct, but the Iowa fanboys here are gonna have your ass

ISU jokes aside, there may be some validity here. It'll just come down to what is the most money-producing way they can twist and turn out of college football. Every decade there is something they change for most profit, and weaken the collegiate sport to boot. Profits will always be looked at short term. We don't live year-by-year, but quarter-to-quarter. Seems like a fallacy now, but would we be surprised if the SEC, seeing money signs, get too big for their britches?

Part of the problem for Oregon State and Washington State is their location on the West Coast for tv viewing.

Iowa/Wisconsin don't have that issue.

Apples to Oranges.

Pollard realizes the Big12 lost their only two marquee programs and he's bitter.
You actually think if a proposed "Super Conference" left Iowa and/or Wisconsin off, anyone would be surprised? Iowa, Wisconsin, et. al., become more expendable with the addition of each larger-market/larger-profile program to the B1G.

You actually think if a proposed "Super Conference" left Iowa and/or Wisconsin off, anyone would be surprised? Iowa, Wisconsin, et. al., become more expendable with the addition of each larger-market/larger-profile program to the B1G.
Iowa and Wisconsin wouldn’t be in a super conference probably but why would they do a league of 16 teams. I would think the fans of the most powerful schools would also hate that. I wouldn’t want Iowa in such a league as it would be a lot of losses.

Iowa sits fine in the current Big Ten. I’d think it splits like this:

Powerhouses: OSU, Mich, PSU, USC, Oregon
Has enough fans, etc. that earns rev share: Iowa, Wisc, Neb, Wash, MSU
Good at bball: Purdue, IN, Illini, UCLA
Rest: MD, Rutgers, NW, MN

Even the bottom 4 have had some success, fans, etc.

Zero comparison.

If Bama and Texas asked to join the B1G with the condition that Iowa and Wisconsin were dropped, the only question would be, "Next season, or do you mean immediately?"
LOL. But Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue and NW all get to stay? LOL.

You said to look at WA St and OR St, and I maintain that Iowa ain’t WA St or OR St.

Schools with football programs that draw 70-80k fans to home games ain’t getting kicked out of any conference, even the B1G. Stop buying into the fear mongering.

Yeah because it is not like we just had the women;s basketball go to the ship 2 years straight. It is not like we are not always in the hunt for a championship in wrestling. Or not because we keep turning out NFL talent in football. Not because we are fairly decent at baseball or because we are pioneering women's wrestling. Like I said, across several sports Iowa is doing well and in that light, they are doing better then most. Pisses me off Nebraska is so good at volleyball, and we can't seem to beat PSU in wrestling, but you win some, you lose some I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: BumHumpingHawkeye
Nah. These teams all need foes that they can beat on a regular basis along with broader revenue streams. Otherwise they're just a bunch of .500 teams.
I've never understood why people don't get this. Its the same thing in the B1G. These super teams want to go 12-1 or 13-0, and to do that they need decent teams who actually carry some cache, who they will beat on a regular basis. Iowa is the perfect example of a team that the OSU, of the world would want on their schedule. If they were to only play he top 5 or so teams and play them twice then they're way more likely to absorb some losses...

Translation: We're better than Iowa, they're just lucky they were in the B1G.

What's going to happen? No more conferences? A super conference of the top 16 teams? If so, who's in it? Outside of Bama, Georgia, tOSU, teams bounce up and down in the standings quite a bit. Does every school negotiate a separate TV deal? That would be a cluster of epic proportions and nearly impossible to execute. Uneven revenue distribution within conferences (see the old big12)?

You have to have teams to play against and consistent viewership and conferences supply just that. I could see shaving off the lower end (Northwestern is a good example and that's kind of what just happened to Washington State and Oregon State) but some sort of competitive groups need to exist.

Thinking locally, if Iowa wouldn't make the cut on a shift like this... the whole thing gets blown up. Iowa is the perfect example of a second tier program that is big and successful enough to sustain itself and be competitive. Programs like Wisconsin, South Carolina, Arizona, Virginia, Okie State, Arkansas and Iowa...wouldn't just go away.
This exactly.....

Most of you guys will take this the wrong way but you have no problem with anything when you’re on the top but huge problems when you’re not.

Take NIL for example. Iowa fans have loved talking about Big 10 TV revenue and the advantages that come with it.

NIL comes along, and all of a sudden Iowa isn’t a big dog, and it’s the worst possible thing and it’s destroying college athletics, not capitalism at work.

In a couple years when there is revenue sharing with players and those Big 10 TV dollars put Iowa back in the upper eschelon again I imagine this board will once again be all about free markets.
He's upset because his program is a have not and that disparity will only go over the coming years. Iowa, on the other hand, is a top 20 money maker in college football. Iowa is at no risk, and never will be, of being left out of a seat at the table. Now, some small teams may be at risk in large conferences but Iowa certainly isn't one of them. Small program fans and ADs will only become more incensed in time as there is a very clear echelon, like there always was, but now it means those programs likely just won't be able to afford existing any longer. That's Capitalism baby! Love it or hate it...

Most of you guys will take this the wrong way but you have no problem with anything when you’re on the top but huge problems when you’re not.

Take NIL for example. Iowa fans have loved talking about Big 10 TV revenue and the advantages that come with it.

NIL comes along, and all of a sudden Iowa isn’t a big dog, and it’s the worst possible thing and it’s destroying college athletics, not capitalism at work.

In a couple years when there is revenue sharing with players and those Big 10 TV dollars put Iowa back in the upper eschelon again I imagine this board will once again be all about free markets.

You're stuttering Bryce, but I believe you're correct.

You're stuttering Bryce, but I believe you're correct.
Well of course he is, who complains about being on top?? That does not even make sense. But what he is saying can be applied to everything in life. I am old enough to have realized that there are only a handful of people in this world who truly want you to do better then them. Your parents, good coaches and the rare person who is neither of those. Otherwise everyone wants you to do well........... but just not better then them. Which really leads into a whole philosophy class discussion on how that affects the human race as a whole, but I digress. If ISU was smart and could have done something, they should have done it years ago when Nebraska came to the B10. If ISU had amounted to anything in a top 3 popular sport and did so consistently, they would have been more attractive in today's landscape of college athletics.

Last edited:

And you or your fans would be different should the roles be reversed? Iowa and ISU are rivals, so sure theres going to be the back and forth. Then there's the whole thing about Iowa being the smallest state by population in the country with TWO D1 programs (not from the same conference) vying for those fan dollars. Then theres the AD of one school putting up billboards of how THEY are the big dog in the state when is clearly obvious that thats total BS, and everyone with a brain knows that.

• Haha
Well of course he is, who complains about being on top?? That does not even make sense. But what he is saying can be applied to everything in life. I am old enough to have realized that there are only a handful of people in this world who truly want you to do better then them. Your parents, good coaches and the rare person who is neither of those. Otherwise everyone wants you to do well........... but just not better then them. Which really leads into a whole philosophy class discussion on how that affects the human race as a whole, but I digress. If ISU was smart and could have done something, they should have done it years ago when Nebraska came to the B10. If ISU had amounted to anything in a top 3 popular sport and did so consistently, they would have been more attractive in today's landscape of college athletics.
If your implying that ISU should have joined the B1G that would NEVER have happened, no matter how much groveling they did....

So, the big boys decide to form a super conference with 16 teams. Who get's in?

$OSU
Mich
PSU
Clemson
Bama
Texas
LSU
GA
OK
USC
Washington
Oregon
Notre Dame

That's 13. Who else is gonna get in?

That's 6 teams from the B1G, and what's left doesn't look to good.

I think the gist of his message was that people tend to see good and bad or positives and negatives of certain situations in terms of how it affects them, irrespective of how it impacts others. He was directing it at Iowa fans in terms of how they perceive conference realignment and NIL, but it could apply to any group of people being impacted by forces outside of their control.

Reactions: kceasthawk
LOL at anyone analyzing or listening to anything that Pollard has to say. He makes excuses for everything and has a cheap fanbase. The majority of his opinions are based on Iowa being in a top conference and Iowa State is not. He doesn't really have much class as an AD and likes to think people want to hear what he says.

So, the big boys decide to form a super conference with 16 teams. Who get's in?

$OSU
Mich
PSU
Clemson
Bama
Texas
LSU
GA
OK
USC
Washington
Oregon
Notre Dame

That's 13. Who else is gonna get in?

That's 6 teams from the B1G, and what's left doesn't look to good.
It's nearly impossible to draw a line in the sand for a top 16. Teams move up and down frequently. According to one article Colorado and Tennessee both drew more viewers last season than 3/4 of that list. Just a few years ago, Oregon had more internet searches in the state of Washington than UW and Nebraska had more in Colorado pre-Deion.

https://frontofficesports.com/at-least-theres-no-debating-college-footballs-most-watched-team/

Another piece with a little different list said the top 18 account for 50% of viewers.

1: Alabama 7.12 (11)
2: Ohio State 6.05 (11)
3: Colorado 6.00 (9)
4: Georgia 5.90 (11)
5: Michigan 5.61 (12)
6: Tennessee 4.57 (7)
7: Oregon 4.43 (10)
8: texas 4.26 (12)
9: Florida State 4.16 (12)
10: Notre Dame 4.15 (10)
11: Washington 4.14 (10)
12: LSU 3.79 (9)
13: USC 3.77 (9)
14: Penn State 3.66 (11)
15: Auburn 3.55 (7)
16: Missouri 3.25 (6)
17: Florida 3.17 (8)
18: Ole Miss 2.93 (7)

19: Clemson 2.90 (7)
20: Texas A&M 2.74 (9)
21: Iowa 2.68 (11)
22: Miami 2.65(6)
23: Duke 2.639 (6)
24: Nebraska 2.637 (11)
25: Utah 2.616 (7)
26: Oklahoma 2.6153 (11)
27: Navy 2.6152 (5)
28: Oregon State 2.44 (8)
29: Louisville 2.37 (10)
30: Washington State 2.15 (6)
31: Kentucky 2.07 (6)
32: Mississippi State 2.01 (5)

In the end, even the big boys need someone to play against. Just tossing away teams 16-40 (or something similar) would kill the brand.

Last edited:
  • Haha
If your implying that ISU should have joined the B1G that would NEVER have happened, no matter how much groveling they did....
No, I was just saying that however things shake out and how things have shaken out so far, it is obvious that facilities and competitiveness in the major sports are what makes a school attractive for other schools to want to be in a conference with. In other words, they should have seen the writing on the wall 10 years ago and started trying to make themselves as attractive of conference partner as possible. Same with Kansas, Arizona, Utah, Oregon State and all those others such as that.
I think the gist of his message was that people tend to see good and bad or positives and negatives of certain situations in terms of how it affects them, irrespective of how it impacts others. He was directing it at Iowa fans in terms of how they perceive conference realignment and NIL, but it could apply to any group of people being impacted by forces outside of their control.
Right, I get that. Believe me from a personal standpoint I understand what he is saying. But he also has to understand some of what is happening is his own fault. I mean for years Texas ran the B12, well who entered and stayed in that shitty contract? You know why Kansas is any more attractive as a conference member then ISU? Because Kansas is good at basketball. Consistently good. There are a whole bunch of schools in the same boat as ISU, that when you look at the top 3 or 4 sports that bring in money, they just are not consistently breaking into the top 25 or 30. I mean look a Vilanova, I can not tell you 1 thing about them, except everyone knows who they are because they pretty good at basketball. What I am saying is, you should probably be something. If you are good looking, great. If not maybe you should have some money. If neither of those, maybe have some useful skills. That's life.

LOL at anyone analyzing or listening to anything that Pollard has to say. He makes excuses for everything and has a cheap fanbase. The majority of his opinions are based on Iowa being in a top conference and Iowa State is not. He doesn't really have much class as an AD and likes to think people want to hear what he says.
lol @MikeyHawk thinking he has a better grasp of the college landscape than a twenty year veteran AD.

It's nearly impossible to draw a line in the sand for a top 16. Teams move up and down frequently. According to one article Colorado and Tennessee both drew more viewers last season than 3/4 of that list. Things ebb and flow based on how successful some teams are (see Washington and Colorado). Just a few years ago, Oregon had more internet searches in the state of Washington than UW and Nebraska had more in Colorado pre-Deion.

https://frontofficesports.com/at-least-theres-no-debating-college-footballs-most-watched-team/

Another piece with a little different list said the top 18 account for 50% of viewers.

1: Alabama 7.12 (11)
2: Ohio State 6.05 (11)
3: Colorado 6.00 (9)
4: Georgia 5.90 (11)
5: Michigan 5.61 (12)
6: Tennessee 4.57 (7)
7: Oregon 4.43 (10)
8: texas 4.26 (12)
9: Florida State 4.16 (12)
10: Notre Dame 4.15 (10)
11: Washington 4.14 (10)
12: LSU 3.79 (9)
13: USC 3.77 (9)
14: Penn State 3.66 (11)
15: Auburn 3.55 (7)
16: Missouri 3.25 (6)
17: Florida 3.17 (8)
18: Ole Miss 2.93 (7)

19: Clemson 2.90 (7)
20: Texas A&M 2.74 (9)
21: Iowa 2.68 (11)
22: Miami 2.65(6)
23: Duke 2.639 (6)
24: Nebraska 2.637 (11)
25: Utah 2.616 (7)
26: Oklahoma 2.6153 (11)
27: Navy 2.6152 (5)
28: Oregon State 2.44 (8)
29: Louisville 2.37 (10)
30: Washington State 2.15 (6)
31: Kentucky 2.07 (6)
32: Mississippi State 2.01 (5)

In the end, even the big boys need someone to play against. Just tossing away teams 16-40 (or something similar) would kill the brand.
A couple of thoughts -

1. I am opposed to a super conference. I hope we never get there. I've been opposed to most of the conference realignment.

2. "Kill the brand"? I think they are already ruining the sport by chasing the money. What's to stop them from going after even more $?

3. I really don't know how they would pick a super conference if, God forbid, they try to form one.

I would not worry much about a "super conference". I think if anything it will be more like the NFL with AFC and NFC. Which is about where we are with a power 2 situation. Like I said, that might leave a bunch of schools out and they will have to form their own conference and yeah it will not be as popular and will not be a major draw and thus not make as much money. In some ways, chasing the money is hurting the sport, but in other ways it is advancing it. If he wants, maybe the way he should be looking at it is, ISU was never really playing in prime time slots on their own merit anyway. They only ever got those time slots if they were playing someone of more relevance. So in a power 2 and then the rest situation, it will be the same thing, The power 2 will get more prime time slots and the others will get the early games weird channels and such. So really no different. It is the same reason we have non conference games and some are a way bigger draw then others. Which is why I say you should be something, because some schools are good at say basketball and during basketball season will always draw eyes. But you can not be pretty much average in every way and expect above average money. Not all schools can be competitive in all the major sports and when they try, they are average in all of them. Is that due to money? Maybe but for the last 50 years, they have had pretty much the same opportunity to get good at something. I mean it kind of comes down to investing because a lot has happened in 50 years and maybe not everyone started from the same point, but it was a much closer starting point then now. At some point they had to realize they were falling behind during that 50 years and what did they do about it? Who's fault is that? My philosophy is idc what you are going to do, just be the best at it. Like I mentioned before, it pisses me off that Nebraska is so good at volleyball, but hey, if volleyball is your thing, then be the best. As Captain Jack says....... but you have heard of me. Again the market is the driving force behind money.

• Haha
Yeah real smart to cut your viewing audience in half. I already watch the SEC and the Other 2 league games about never.

If Iowa didn't make the league I would never pay to stream it just like I don't pay youtube $1200 to stream the NFL.

• Haha
Everything within the last 5-10 years has been expansion, expansion, expansion...yet we are supposed to believe there will come a time in the near future where these conferences start contracting? Not seeing it.
Well in a perfect world, smaller conferences actually ARE the way to go.........

LOL. But Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue and NW all get to stay? LOL.

You said to look at WA St and OR St, and I maintain that Iowa ain’t WA St or OR St.

Schools with football programs that draw 70-80k fans to home games ain’t getting kicked out of any conference, even the B1G. Stop buying into the fear mongering.
Who said the others get to stay?

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT