ADVERTISEMENT

Does Jamie Pollard have a point?

LOL. But Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue and NW all get to stay? LOL.

You said to look at WA St and OR St, and I maintain that Iowa ain’t WA St or OR St.

Schools with football programs that draw 70-80k fans to home games ain’t getting kicked out of any conference, even the B1G. Stop buying into the fear mongering.
Iowa and Wisconsin draw 70k-80k? Maybe YOU should stop deluding yourself that Iowa's position in the B1G is rock-solid.

Reactions: BumHumpingHawkeye
Yeah because it is not like we just had the women;s basketball go to the ship 2 years straight. It is not like we are not always in the hunt for a championship in wrestling. Or not because we keep turning out NFL talent in football. Not because we are fairly decent at baseball or because we are pioneering women's wrestling. Like I said, across several sports Iowa is doing well and in that light, they are doing better then most. Pisses me off Nebraska is so good at volleyball, and we can't seem to beat PSU in wrestling, but you win some, you lose some I guess.
Lol, women's basketball is our saving grace to be kept by the B1G?

Most of you guys will take this the wrong way but you have no problem with anything when you’re on the top but huge problems when you’re not.

Take NIL for example. Iowa fans have loved talking about Big 10 TV revenue and the advantages that come with it.

NIL comes along, and all of a sudden Iowa isn’t a big dog, and it’s the worst possible thing and it’s destroying college athletics, not capitalism at work.

In a couple years when there is revenue sharing with players and those Big 10 TV dollars put Iowa back in the upper eschelon again I imagine this board will once again be all about free markets.

Most of you guys will take this the wrong way but you have no problem with anything when you’re on the top but huge problems when you’re not.

Take NIL for example. Iowa fans have loved talking about Big 10 TV revenue and the advantages that come with it.

NIL comes along, and all of a sudden Iowa isn’t a big dog, and it’s the worst possible thing and it’s destroying college athletics, not capitalism at work.

In a couple years when there is revenue sharing with players and those Big 10 TV dollars put Iowa back in the upper eschelon again I imagine this board will once again be all about free markets.
The problem isn't NIL in its intended format. The problem is misusing/abusing NIL as a pay-for-play tool.

Lol, women's basketball is our saving grace to be kept by the B1G?
You have to look at the entire package. In basketball, wrestling and football we are above the 50% line. Meaning if you cut the B10 down to half the teams it has now, we are competitive enough in the money making sports to be in the upper part of that split. I mean who do you have, OSU, Michigan PSU, MAYBE a couple of west coast teams. That is like 5 or 6 teams. THEN WHO???? Iowa and Wisconsin?? Like I said not all schools can be competitive in multiple money making sports. Indiana is a good example, great at basketball, and once every blue moon has a good football season and wins 8 games and maybe a bowl game. I mean you do understand more people watch Iowa wrestling vs PSU or Oklahoma State, then watch ISU football right? Reason? Because we are in the same level as the top dogs in wrestling. Only reason more people MIGHT watch an ISU football game is because of who they are playing, not because of their own merit. Understand?? Same with football, same with basketball. Iowa competes well with the best there is in multiple sports, and we have been for quite some time now.

Reactions: desihawk
You have to look at the entire package. In basketball, wrestling and football we are above the 50% line. Meaning if you cut the B10 down to half the teams it has now, we are competitive enough in the money making sports to be in the upper part of that split. I mean who do you have, OSU, Michigan PSU, MAYBE a couple of west coast teams. That is like 5 or 6 teams. THEN WHO???? Iowa and Wisconsin?? Like I said not all schools can be competitive in multiple money making sports. Indiana is a good example, great at basketball, and once every blue moon has a good football season and wins 8 games and maybe a bowl game. I mean you do understand more people watch Iowa wrestling vs PSU or Oklahoma State, then watch ISU football right? Reason? Because we are in the same level as the top dogs in wrestling. Only reason more people MIGHT watch an ISU football game is because of who they are playing, not because of their own merit. Understand?? Same with football, same with basketball. Iowa competes well with the best there is in multiple sports, and we have been for quite some time now.
Wrestling is a money making sport?

Wrestling is a money making sport?

Big Ten Network announces record wrestling viewership numbers: 'It's our third-highest rated sport'​

We compete well in the top 3 sports. I hate to say it, but in football, our lack of offense showed in viewership numbers. That was one reason something had to change. It did not matter that we were winning or that it was almost a miracle that we were winning. I mean I even would fall asleep or just get up and go do something else, so it was kind of boring. That was when we needed a Fry type move, have an OL warm up to kick field goals or something. If you can't do something exciting, you have to get weird with it.

• Haha
Wouldn't the same question apply to the BIG12?
That's why JP is planting the "eat their own" seed, aka stirring it up, cause what's left of the b12 are the ones currently being "eaten" & eventually the same fate for the NCAA.

Iowa and Wisconsin draw 70k-80k? Maybe YOU should stop deluding yourself that Iowa's position in the B1G is rock-solid.
Iowa averages just a hair under 70K and Wisconsin around 75K. If Wisconsin and Iowa don't have a slot in the B1G, then the conference is effectively done as we know it.

• Haha
Yeah because it is not like we just had the women;s basketball go to the ship 2 years straight. It is not like we are not always in the hunt for a championship in wrestling. Or not because we keep turning out NFL talent in football. Not because we are fairly decent at baseball or because we are pioneering women's wrestling. Like I said, across several sports Iowa is doing well and in that light, they are doing better than most. Pisses me off Nebraska is so good at volleyball, and we can't seem to beat PSU in wrestling, but you win some, you lose some I guess.
Nebraska has some current volleyball player in “hot water” due to some DUI’s along with various shop lifting charges. So, she may be cut from the team? Obviously, not enough to sink their v-ball program, but enough to put a black eye on their team. 😜

So, the big boys decide to form a super conference with 16 teams. Who get's in?

$OSU
Mich
PSU
Clemson
Bama
Texas
LSU
GA
OK
USC
Washington
Oregon
Notre Dame

That's 13. Who else is gonna get in?

That's 6 teams from the B1G, and what's left doesn't look to good.
Not sure why you have Washington in your top 13? However, it’s a tiny quibble. 😜

When the veteran AD is Pollard…Mikey is correct. 😉
There’s definitely a correlation with having your first name in your handle and retardation.

JP is a veteran and is pretty well decorated. Having a D1 job for 20+ years paying $850k per year is the top echelon of sports administration, Hans, Mikey, and Mitch.

Again when they start kicking teams like Iowa out of the conference, how in the hell are more then one or two of these teams going to win games. The same dozen or so teams can't just play each other twice a year, and if they do almost ALL of them are going to have SHIT records. Your never going to get hardly any of those 12 teams to sign up to lose 4 or 5 times a year. And frankly there aren't 12 teams on college football better then Iowa on a year in year out basis. You to realize that someone loses all those games right? They will always need the Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, UCLA, Oklahoma State type teams. Teams that CAN beat you, but probably won't.

Jamie Polehard does have a point……..it’s on the top of his head but he does have a point
Food Pancakes GIF

Translation: We're better than Iowa, they're just lucky they were in the B1G.

What's going to happen? No more conferences? A super conference of the top 16 teams? If so, who's in it? Outside of Bama, Georgia, tOSU, teams bounce up and down in the standings quite a bit. Does every school negotiate a separate TV deal? That would be a cluster of epic proportions and nearly impossible to execute. Uneven revenue distribution within conferences (see the old big12)?

You have to have teams to play against and consistent viewership and conferences supply just that. I could see shaving off the lower end (Northwestern is a good example and that's kind of what just happened to Washington State and Oregon State) but some sort of competitive groups need to exist.

Thinking locally, if Iowa wouldn't make the cut on a shift like this... the whole thing gets blown up. Iowa is the perfect example of a second tier program that is big and successful enough to sustain itself and be competitive. Programs like Wisconsin, South Carolina, Arizona, Virginia, Okie State, Arkansas and Iowa...wouldn't just go away.
Could more than one university sponsor a team?

Again when they start kicking teams like Iowa out of the conference, how in the hell are more then one or two of these teams going to win games. The same dozen or so teams can't just play each other twice a year, and if they do almost ALL of them are going to have SHIT records. Your never going to get hardly any of those 12 teams to sign up to lose 4 or 5 times a year. And frankly there aren't 12 teams on college football better then Iowa on a year in year out basis. You to realize that someone loses all those games right? They will always need the Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, UCLA, Oklahoma State type teams. Teams that CAN beat you, but probably won't.
Right? I started to type, who are they going to play with, themselves? But decided not to. How would you even rank them? Preseason means nothing and if every week, half of them lost.......... even if you could figure out a realistic way to determine a ranking system, why, when basically such a conference would be the playoff system during the season. Or do you take the top 8 (however it is you would figure that out) and then have 4 at large bids?? The whole idea is riddled with problems, not to mention, you just alienated half the country, because Wisconsin fans ares till going to watch Wisconsin, Iowa is still going to watch Iowa, Kansas, Kansas, Nebraska, Nebraska and so on.

Reactions: GHawk
Jealousy. Plain and simple

He's playing to his base. Essentially, "We're so much better off not being in the SEC or B1G. Sure, we're making less money, but we're in a better spot long term over the bottom feeders (which we would be in those conferences)."

The snag in his theory is there is always going to be a bottom half in every conference. tOSU doesn't want to play a 12 game schedule of

Bama
Penn St
Texas
Georgia
LSU
USC
Oregon
Iowa
Oklahoma
Florida
Wisconsin
Michigan

They want 8 easy wins built in there minimum.

?

Iowa average home attendance 2022 - 69,250 (100% capacity)
Wisconsin average home attendance 2022 - 74,159 (97.81%)

Were you trying to make some kind of point? Sorry if I'm not tossing and turning every night like you worried as f^ck that the B1G might suddenly want to ditch >125 years of tradition and drop two of its schools that are extremely solid academically and athletically.

?

Iowa average home attendance 2022 - 69,250 (100% capacity)
Wisconsin average home attendance 2022 - 74,159 (97.81%)

Were you trying to make some kind of point? Sorry if I'm not tossing and turning every night like you worried as f^ck that the B1G might suddenly want to ditch >125 years of tradition and drop two of its schools that are extremely solid academically and athletically.
It wouldn't be a matter of B1G dropping two of its schools. More like six or eight of them.

They will find four to six teams willing to do that. It won't be Iowa. If you think this fan base is messed up NOW...

• Haha
Iowa averages just a hair under 70K and Wisconsin around 75K. If Wisconsin and Iowa don't have a slot in the B1G, then the conference is effectively done as we know it.
Not saying it's done. Just saying, down the road, Iowa fans shouldn't assume we are a shoo-in for any conference realignment that is deemed "bigger/better". Especially after KF retires.

Now you’re just reaching with unrealistic hypotheticals.
Again, ask Wazzu and Oregon State. They were in with the original Pac 8/10/12 format. Look where they are now.

If you really believe our footing is as solid as O$U, scUM, et. al., not sure what to tell you. Just look how quickly Texas destroyed the Big 12. If you don't think having West Coast schools in the B1G changes the dynamic and pecking order, you're delusional.

• Haha
Again, ask Wazzu and Oregon State. They were in with the original Pac 8/10/12 format. Look where they are now.
Those teams weren't kicked out of the Pac-12. The conference folded. The B1G is not folding.

If you really believe our footing is as solid as O$U, scUM, et. al.
Absolutely no one is saying that.

Just look how quickly Texas destroyed the Big 12.
There is no team in the B1G that could do that to the conference; not even the blue bloods.

If you don't think having West Coast schools in the B1G changes the dynamic and pecking order, you're delusional.
WTF does this even mean?

You're just being stupid now trying to make your feeble point. You can go all chicken little if you want, but excuse the rest of us for not taking anything JP says seriously. Maybe you should go hide under your bed for the next 5-10 years until this is all sorted out. We'll let you know when it's safe to come out.

So wrong. Just ask Wazzu and Oregon State.
No it's not. I don't know what you read but as I said initially...some small poor programs will be let go. Wazzu and OSU are small and poor programs that are the secondary teams within their own state. Case in point actually. Those programs aren't remotely close to Iowa. They resemble ISU far more closely. They're exactly the types of programs that are expendable unfortunately and they were in a tumultuous conference...like ISU is in.

Zero comparison.

If Bama and Texas asked to join the B1G with the condition that Iowa and Wisconsin were dropped, the only question would be, "Next season, or do you mean immediately?"
What the hell are you talking about? Hypotheticals don't matter just so you can prove your asinine point. You're wrong, simple as that. This scenario wouldn't happen and Iowa certainly wouldn't be the casualty if it did. Iowa isn't the biggest brand but they're a top 15-20 brand and worth retaining as a mid level team.

There is absolutely no chance that Iowa would be let go from either the B1G or the SEC. They will always be a top 60 program and that's essentially the cut.

It wouldn't be a matter of B1G dropping two of its schools. More like six or eight of them.
It's going to be two conferences that contain 20-32 teams each. Iowa will easily make the cut. Will they ever win it all, absolutely not. Basically the same as it right now.

Who the heck is coming up with this insane theory of 16 teams? It's going to be like the AFC/NFC but larger. That's the end game.

Iowa will be fine. Poorer schools...not so much.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I really miss the "old" conferences before TV + money got involved and ruined everything.

As a ISU student, the old Big 8 was perfect. A regional conference with natural + long standing rivalries Was great in football, but better in basketball with home/away with every school. I'm sure the Big 10 people feel the same (before they screwed that up with Penn State, etc...)

All the conference realignment, transfer portal, and NIL crap has really diminished my interest in CFB. I will watch ISU and the occasional Iowa game, but that is about it

I think we are seeing the beginning of the end unless something drastic changes.

I think Pollard is right to some degree. He is a lot of things, but dumb isnt one of them. He may be looking out for ISU's interest here (which is fine, that is his job), but he also sees the big picture. On a national scale, interest will surely decline. CFB is best with regional rivalries (in all conferences).

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I really miss the "old" conferences before TV + money got involved and ruined everything.

As a ISU student, the old Big 8 was perfect. A regional conference with natural + long standing rivalries Was great in football, but better in basketball with home/away with every school. I'm sure the Big 10 people feel the same (before they screwed that up with Penn State, etc...)

All the conference realignment, transfer portal, and NIL crap has really diminished my interest in CFB. I will watch ISU and the occasional Iowa game, but that is about it

I think we are seeing the beginning of the end unless something drastic changes.

I think Pollard is right to some degree. He is a lot of things, but dumb isnt one of them. He may be looking out for ISU's interest here (which is fine, that is his job), but he also sees the big picture. On a national scale, interest will surely decline. CFB is best with regional rivalries (in all conferences).
Beginning of the end of what?

If you really believe our footing is as solid as O$U, scUM, et. al., not sure what to tell you. Just look how quickly Texas destroyed the Big 12. If you don't think having West Coast schools in the B1G changes the dynamic and pecking order, you're delusional.
‘Again, ask Wazzu and Oregon State.’

Stadium size, approximately 1/2 the size of Iowa
Athletics revenue Iowa $140m, osu $87m, wazzu $71m
Athletic success advantage Iowa
Academic success advantage Iowa

I am guessing if asked they would have to acknowledge that their case is not remotely the same as Iowa’s.
You may need to shift gears on attempting to support your premise.
So far you aren’t doing real well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT