ADVERTISEMENT

Does Lester have any balls?

Cool. So say that initially instead. No one can read your intent on a message board. Also I think his mechanics are not great regardless of the throw. He is relying on his arm too much. Get the base involved (in a positive way) and the late/high throws won't be there.
Have no idea what you're talking about in the first part of your post. Have you read the thread or not? The very highlight clip you are referring to is posted in this thread

Well I'm not as high on the concept of passing in football as everyone else, so to me, no, there shouldn't be guys wide open everywhere. Passes are high degree of difficulty plays and there are capable defenses out there trained to stop them.

But no, other than Brown, Iowa wouldn't be considered all that talented at receiver.

Also, the refs were allowing ISU a decent amount of contact in their man coverage.

Also, the offense is still learning a new system. There are inevitable growing pains that come with coaching changes.

Lastly, although Iowa had some big runs, they never committed to pounding on the D with the run in the first half. This allowed the ISU D to be more fresh to get pressure and disrupt some timing.

Establish the run, and then I can see where a guy should be wide open here and there
Not high on passing………….good lord, you have the same washed-up outdated mentality as Kirk.

BUT..

..Since you have the above opinion - What do you make of Iowa not finding/playing a running quarterback then? Ya know, maybe try to have more than one “threat” on offense?

Have no idea what you're talking about in the first part of your post. Have you read the thread or not? The very highlight clip you are referring to is posted in this thread
You said in the initial post that he threw off his back foot once, then changed that to "throwing on the run" later. And no I haven't read the entire thread. Skimmed sure but these threads go off the rails at the flip of a hat.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
My mentality is to run the ball. And it isn't outdated.

I think the narrative that Kirk is a "running" coach is overstated. Really, he's always preached balance. Too much so for my taste over the years.

But it should be said that my opinion is from a very uniformed position. And I am more than satisfied with the job KF has done, and is doing at Iowa.

But in my meaningless opinion, I feel Iowa has missed many opportunities to pound the ball over the years. Despite the narrative, Iowa almost never runs the ball three times in a row, unless closing away a game in the 2nd half.

The Iowa St game was a classic story of the running game. Although Iowa hit ISU with some big runs, it missed an opportunity to pound on ISU with the run in the first half. This allowed the ISU D to be much fresher in the 2nd half to defend the pass and run.

Whereas ISU stayed committed to the run in the first half, even though trailing in the game and not getting anything from the ground game. It paid off in the 2nd half as they were able to wear on Iowa some and get significant mileage out of their run game at winning time.

Yes, personally, I love running QB's. But I don't have a problem with not having one. Cade isn't a running QB. He's not a scrambler. But he isn't immobile. He has shown some nice pocket awareness and mobility. I really don't think his mobility has fallen off much.

Sullivan could maybe be stretched into a running package guy with some designed QB draw and read option. But I think naturally he is more of a passing QB with running ability on the scramble.

Lainez is probably the most dual-threat on the roster, in terms of designed running game.

Resar is supposed to be athletic, and could have some designed runner talent, similar to Lainez. But that's more of a guess on my part.

Similar to Summers, who is also supposed to be a good athlete.

So it appears KF is going that direction in the future. Who knows if that's by design or not. Good chance the combination of Petras with the bad O-line opened eyes on the staff about mobility. Then, obviously Hill had to play, as an emergency QB. And everyone was thrilled to get Cade, at the time.

Even with the increase in athleticism coming, I don't think it will be more than a sprinkle of designed QB run for Iowa. For one, I don't think Iowa can recruit a lot of the top end athletes that that can truly be a dual-threat QB (which I've been calling a designed run threat). For another, the designed run just puts your QB at too big of risk for injury. Iowa can't afford to have to cycle through getting QB's injured.

But for the next several years Iowa's going to have some much better athleticism in the QB room, and that is something to look forward to.

The kid from CSU's name escapes me. Stratton? I think he is more of a pocket QB, from what I know

Everyone can judge for themselves.

First highlights I've watched of the game, as I was on the road and too pissed after the game and seeing how they squandered many opportunities to SLAM THE DOOR on ISU.

That highlight just pisses me off more. Moving the the ball really well in the 1st half and you trip on your d*ck with 1st and goal on the 1 yard line and 2 yard line. Settle for FGs!?!?

Inexcusable to not get ONE touchdown out of those. We all knew it in the moment. Man up on the line.... You KNOW the snap count.... QB SNEAK that sh*t.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
You said in the initial post that he threw off his back foot once, then changed that to "throwing on the run" later. And no I haven't read the entire thread. Skimmed sure but these threads go off the rails at the flip of a hat.
To me, there is a difference between the underthrow to Brown, in which one might traditionally say Cade threw off his back foot, and the footwork used in the highlights.

In some of the highlights Cade is actually using a "fall-away" technique, that is a variation of the "on the run" mechanics that I mentioned previously, in that it helps clear the front hip.

I could see how some would say Cade is falling away too much. But again, he's doing what he has to do to get the ball delivered on time. There really has been precise timing on the pass plays that have been successful. I think that's encouraging. Maybe as Cade becomes more familiar with the offense, he won't fall away quite as much. We'll see.

At this point, the mechanics used in the highlights aren't proving to be a problem.As I said, the underthrow to Brown was more of a case of Cade not having much time and space to step into the throw. And the forced jump pass to Lachey will hopefully prove to have been a one-off. We'll see

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk
I've seen you around here for the whole 25 years. Yes and no on your observation. Lester is the OC as far as developing the offense. When it comes to game time Kirk manages the flow. He sets the parameters and ultimately wants to lean on the defense. After a season of this I wonder if Lester will have second thoughts about coming here.
Lester either sold his soul for this job or he will have a serious discussion with Kirk on play calling and line ups going forward. If left unchecked, Kirk will destroy Lester’s career.

Reactions: Macbride79
He missed a wide open receiver in the end zone. Do you even know what you’re talking about?
If you're referring to Gill open on the far left, I addressed it in another thread.

The main options on that play were to Cade's right, which is where he initially looked. This means Gill, at the far left, would have been Cade's last read in the progression.

There was pressure at Cade's feet, causing him to step up in the pocket make a play before he had time to even look all the way back to his far left

Lester either sold his soul for this job or he will have a serious discussion with Kirk on play calling and line ups going forward. If left unchecked, Kirk will destroy Lester’s career.
Lol. Lester is calling the plays, and to my knowledge, decides who plays on offense as well

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Haven't interacted much with Eyes huh? Confused, derailed thread, yeah, this is pretty much how every conversation starts and ends if he hops on. He floods any and all threads nowadays. Do yourself a favor and just let him feel like he's been heard. He'll eventually tucker out.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT