ADVERTISEMENT

Does Padilla Get Left Out in the Cold?

If you think he’s undefeated because of his career 49% completion rate and more turnovers than TD’s, then I’ve got some ocean front property in NE Iowa to sell you.
Exactly, the fact he couldn't beat out the worst qb in our lifetime says more about his ability. Our stellar defense had more to do with any wins these past 2 years.

Interesting landing spot. Happy for the kid if they gave him a scholarship and it's not a walk on opportunity. Would love to see him prove that Brian Ferentz was the problem, not him.

SMU was 6-5 this year. Their best player was their star QB, who just transferred to Wisconsin.

They have landed a TON of Power 5 skill position talent from the portal, including two WRs from Miami, a RB from Texas A&M, and a bunch of solid OL transfers from Texas, Missouri, and A&M.

As an amusing aside, SMU does NOT have a medical school. There is no such thing as playing football and attending medical/law school at the same time, as professional school is not a joke.

Last edited:
"Doing extra work in the summer, or taking an extra semester...."

Good grief....it doesn't work that way. This is a highly sought after seat in a highly competitive professional program.

No offense to you but....you just aren't comprehending how medical school works.
Exactly, my daughter is an M2.

Exactly, the fact he couldn't beat out the worst qb in our lifetime says more about his ability. Our stellar defense had more to do with any wins these past 2 years.
Just taking a little work break for some play time so I won't go through the whole statistical package. Padilla's numbers tell the story. They were worse than Petras by a significant margin in every category of QBing. That is a very low hurdle and Padilla tripped. Those categories include positive rushing with about the same % of sacks per attempt.

Now this Padilla wins myth is just silly, impossible to believe people are still banging that drum-it sounds like the 4th grade band when they first got their instruments. QBs do not win games by themselves but they can lose games. Padilla's "starting" wins are proof of that axiom. A failure to accept that factual premise undermines any further discussion because anything can happen in unicorn land.

Padilla's wins included NW, although not the starter he played all but what, two possessions. NW was Padilla's best game by far. The Minnesota game where he threw two TDs. One was a really nice throw to a wide open Jones, the other was a typical bad throw that Johnson caught at the peak of his jump, broke a bad tackle attempt and then raced about 30 yards after the catch. His play was otherwise terrible in that game. Padilla's play against Illinois was even worse. Accuracy-6/17. The math on that is 35.2%. The yardage, 83. That's 4.9 yards per attempt. Wasted a great game by Goodson. The next "win" is Nebraska. Of course, Padilla started and by half time he was 6/14, that's a whopping 42.8%. Yardage, get this, 76. No TDs (both were in the Minnesota game) but he bumped it up to 5.6 yards per attempt. Petras came in, got north of 50%, lead a great late game drive and scored the winning touchdown.

Petras made Scott Mullen look good. Padilla made Spencer look good. Sometimes the dog won't hunt.

To close on a very optimistic note. Doesn't McNamara and Labas sound a whole lot better than Petras and Padilla?

Just taking a little work break for some play time so I won't go through the whole statistical package. Padilla's numbers tell the story. They were worse than Petras by a significant margin in every category of QBing. That is a very low hurdle and Padilla tripped. Those categories include positive rushing with about the same % of sacks per attempt.

Now this Padilla wins myth is just silly, impossible to believe people are still banging that drum-it sounds like the 4th grade band when they first got their instruments. QBs do not win games by themselves but they can lose games. Padilla's "starting" wins are proof of that axiom. A failure to accept that factual premise undermines any further discussion because anything can happen in unicorn land.

Padilla's wins included NW, although not the starter he played all but what, two possessions. NW was Padilla's best game by far. The Minnesota game where he threw two TDs. One was a really nice throw to a wide open Jones, the other was a typical bad throw that Johnson caught at the peak of his jump, broke a bad tackle attempt and then raced about 30 yards after the catch. His play was otherwise terrible in that game. Padilla's play against Illinois was even worse. Accuracy-6/17. The math on that is 35.2%. The yardage, 83. That's 4.9 yards per attempt. Wasted a great game by Goodson. The next "win" is Nebraska. Of course, Padilla started and by half time he was 6/14, that's a whopping 42.8%. Yardage, get this, 76. No TDs (both were in the Minnesota game) but he bumped it up to 5.6 yards per attempt. Petras came in, got north of 50%, lead a great late game drive and scored the winning touchdown.

Petras made Scott Mullen look good. Padilla made Spencer look good. Sometimes the dog won't hunt.

To close on a very optimistic note. Doesn't McNamara and Labas sound a whole lot better than Petras and Padilla?
If you compare Padilla vs Petras numbers in games that they both played in, Padilla actually did far better. I’m surprised people are still having this debate. We never had a large enough sample size to make definitive judgements on Padilla but the reality is when he came into the game, the Iowa offense performed better.

If you compare Padilla vs Petras numbers in games that they both played in, Padilla actually did far better. I’m surprised people are still having this debate. We never had a large enough sample size to make definitive judgements on Padilla but the reality is when he came into the game, the Iowa offense performed better.
Big Dan, you are dreaming my friend. He would only come in when Petras was either shattered or injured or garbage time (e.g. the BTT title game in 2021). Padilla certainly didn't move the offense in any game this season. Last season the numbers speak for themselves, and Petras' numbers are much better, as are the team performances. You might hate Petras so much you want this to be true but it just is not true.

Reactions: Hawkeyegeorge12
This must be a sad end to a really sad year for Padilla.

Life is about choices. With regard to his football career, Padilla has made some bad ones.

First, Padilla returned to Iowa this season after being promised an "open QB competition." Kirk wasn't honest with him and he was too gullible to see it. Rather than exploring transfer options while his stock was relatively high (he won all 3 starts last year and most believed he was as good or better than the starter on a 10 win team), he came back to Iowa thinking he'd be the starter this year.

After the disappointing season where he didn't even take snaps in blowouts, Padilla prematurely entered the portal immediately after the season. He did so despite knowing Petras wouldn't play in the bowl game.

Now, rather than preparing to be the starting QB in a solid bowl game against a decent SEC team and putting together game film to help his transfer prospects, he's been sitting around without a team for over a month. Worse yet, he does not appear to have any interested suiters.

Kirk did the kid dirty. Being cuckolded behind the worst QB in D1 football tends to tank the one's stock.
Wow, you've outdone yourself. He literally wasn't good enough to take the #1 QB job from a statue.

Oh, and FYI, talk to some people that actually know, and you'll learn that KF doesn't make that decision.

And ya know, MAYBE he entered the portal because he knew there was a QB in the portal who was planning to come to Iowa. And, ya know, he can't be stupid enough to believe he is remotely as good a QB as that transfer QB.

Wow, you've outdone yourself. He literally wasn't good enough to take the #1 QB job from a statue.

Oh, and FYI, talk to some people that actually know, and you'll learn that KF doesn't make that decision.

And ya know, MAYBE he entered the portal because he knew there was a QB in the portal who was planning to come to Iowa. And, ya know, he can't be stupid enough to believe he is remotely as good a QB as that transfer QB.
You'll notice clan Padilla cannot point to anything more specific than the 2 TDs against Minnesota and the decent game against NW.

To extend your point, based on just what we saw in the Bowl game, Padilla wouldn't have stayed ahead of Joe. For all his ride or die addicts did the vaunted Padilla mobility ever produce a net positive rushing game? I really don't know but I doubt it. If Padilla could throw that bullet to Lachey, why didn't he ever do it? Padilla was the worst #2 QB Iowa started since Ol' John Hayden arrived 45 years ago.

You'll notice clan Padilla cannot point to anything more specific than the 2 TDs against Minnesota and the decent game against NW.

To extend your point, based on just what we saw in the Bowl game, Padilla wouldn't have stayed ahead of Joe. For all his ride or die addicts did the vaunted Padilla mobility ever produce a net positive rushing game? I really don't know but I doubt it. If Padilla could throw that bullet to Lachey, why didn't he ever do it? Padilla was the worst #2 QB Iowa started since Ol' John Hayden arrived 45 years ago.

Is there a Padilla clan? The only debate is why did KF invest 3 years in Petras as a starter. Given the same level of committment, maybe Padilla would have similar wins/stats...unknowable at this point. This past year the major QB debate was whether Labas was really so bad he didn't deserve any snaps.

Now Padilla and Petras are both gone, the world didn't end with Labas as a starter in the bowl game so maybe KF can learn something there....unfortunately the OL and WR group is still highly questionable.

Padilla seems like good young man. Best of luck.

Is there a Padilla clan? The only debate is why did KF invest 3 years in Petras as a starter. Given the same level of committment, maybe Padilla would have similar wins/stats...unknowable at this point. This past year the major QB debate was whether Labas was really so bad he didn't deserve any snaps.

Now Padilla and Petras are both gone, the world didn't end with Labas as a starter in the bowl game so maybe KF can learn something there....unfortunately the OL and WR group is still highly questionable.

Padilla seems like good young man. Best of luck.
See thats just it. Petras seems like a good young man as well, and yet many here act like he was some kind of leper. Just don't think he did anything to deserve that. Your right as well that the Padilla thing, if they had played the same number of snaps, (which never happens a a major school over a three year period), what he MAY have done is unknowable. Yet people have been dragging this dead horse down the road for years. What we do know, at least statistically, is he was not an upgrade from the guy many wanted gone.

Why would you think Padilla additional playing time would make him playable? He had maybe 5 or 6 good plays in his entire 3 playing years. And yes, there are people still singing the "if he had more chances song", e.g. this thread. He had plenty of playing time to show he wasn't terrible and never really got better.

The quote, though, is spot on. The offensive production fell every year under Petras. I very rarely disagree with the coaches because they know a lot more than we do and they see the players every day.

Jumping to the young gun killed Kentucky in the bowl game so I think all Iowa fans can appreciate what a truly unprepared freshman can do to lose a game. But Joe was a different story. He was in the program a year already. He was tutored in HS by Ricky Stanzi, who really would have a huge impact and learning what Iowa QBs do, plus anything else Ricky can coach. Nor did he look at all out of control in the bowl game. I have heard there was division in the locker room and the young skill players wanted Joe on the field.

Why would you think Padilla additional playing time would make him playable? He had maybe 5 or 6 good plays in his entire 3 playing years. And yes, there are people still singing the "if he had more chances song", e.g. this thread. He had plenty of playing time to show he wasn't terrible and never really got better.

The quote, though, is spot on. The offensive production fell every year under Petras. I very rarely disagree with the coaches because they know a lot more than we do and they see the players every day.

Jumping to the young gun killed Kentucky in the bowl game so I think all Iowa fans can appreciate what a truly unprepared freshman can do to lose a game. But Joe was a different story. He was in the program a year already. He was tutored in HS by Ricky Stanzi, who really would have a huge impact and learning what Iowa QBs do, plus anything else Ricky can coach. Nor did he look at all out of control in the bowl game. I have heard there was division in the locker room and the young skill players wanted Joe on the field.
Ya, ok.
If he's the starter, he won't be great, but good enough so that neutral observers are going to wonder why the hell he sat on the Iowa bench for 3 years.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Ya, ok.
If he's the starter, he won't be great, but good enough so that neutral observers are going to wonder why the hell he sat on the Iowa bench for 3 years.
Maybe, and maybe they'll wondering why they brought him in at all. Remains to be seen, IF he even wins the job, or he's wearing the red hat there as well...

If we have the status quo with our coaching staff, do you wish Padilla great success. That could lead our backup QB's to realize that the grass is greener on the other side...just as Charlie Jones discovered.

Deplorable out here writing a master's thesis on why we should hate Padilla.
A banshee is a ghost that shrieks, wails and howls. Your post shows your screen name is most apropos. You're just wailing.

That post is only 326 words. The average reader can read and understand between 200 and 250 WPM. If you are on the low end of normal, the "master's thesis" would only have taken 90 seconds to read. My MFA thesis was close to 200 pages and nearly 30,000 words. My MA thesis was over 40 years ago and it seemed like a shit ton of words, but I was typing it on an electric typewriter while stoned. I'd suggest not starting on stupid if you're going to get snotty with me. Since you sound like a junior high student I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your junior high school doesn't require much writing.

Nor am I implying that anyone should have any personal animosity, much less hatred, for Alex P. He came here as kid and gave it everything he had. He was simply a terrible QB not a terrible person.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT