ADVERTISEMENT

Does the NCAA test for banded substances anymore?

IRONBIRD

HR MVP
Dec 2, 2010
Apparently the clown RBY posted he drinks a BANG energy drink before every match. Why he would do this I am unsure? Maybe he can collect more $$$ over at F*** st. for endorsements?

Just got me think though about when I wrestled in the 80's. We were read the riot act and there was a book of stuff you could not take or could not take too much. All the obvious things like steroids were on the list, but also Caffeine, aspirin and other pain killers etc...Once you made AA, they grabbed you and took you to bathroom to pee in a cup(this was DII).

We were even told not to drink too much coffee as it would make you test positive. I am guessing a Bang would certainly put you over the top, and 2,3,4 in a day!!!

Maybe things have changed?

I think there is only one clown in this conversation. Caffeine is not a banned substance, neither is anything else in a Bang drink. Your reaching!!!!

I'd still be curious to know the concrete reality of PED testing in NCAA athletics.

From my understanding, the wrestlers are tested on Saturday night of the NCAA tournament (and maybe only the AAs?)

That's essentially the only time they're tested the entire year. The NCAA claims to do random tests, but the testing rate appears to be incredibly low. I imagine for many sports/schools they don't test at all or at least not every year and they leave it up to each university to handle their own testing (the same way they leave it up to each university to handle recruiting violations) which is obviously an insane conflict of interest.

If anyone has first hand knowledge, I'd be very curious to learn more and hopefully be told that I'm completely incorrect and the athletes are being randomly tested frequently by very stringent testing procedures.

It feels just like the UFC pre USADA. Sure, they "tested" fighters, but only the complete fools ever got caught. Once they switched to the most stringent testing, guys started popping left and right.

Fix was caught by USADA, WADA, or another olympic level testing agency. Not the NCAA. I believe the same goes for Valencia.

When is the last time a D1 wrestler has tested positive for PEDs and served a suspension due to failing a drug test administered by the NCAA? I can't recall a single instance. It's also incredibly rare in football. Marijuana suspensions are more common than PEDs.

Are the coaches/athletes all aware of the situation and just don't speak up? If I was a clean athlete, I'd want strict testing. With modern supplements and PEDs it's harder to detect and there are fewer side effects. With minimal testing, there are certainly more athletes tempted to use PEDs. It's a statistical impossibility that all of the wrestlers are clean, yet according to the NCAAs testing, that's apparently the case.

Last edited:
Turns out that after looking it actually is a banned substance. That said, to get the qty needed to pop on the test he would have to slam multiple 16 oz cans of energy drinks directly before the event to get to those levels and in clears your system very rapidly.

I wrestled in the D1 championships twice. Won a couple of matches, but did not place. This was about 10 years ago. Was never tested for any substance throughout my career. I don’t think anything has changed, but let me know if it has.

I would think it would be very easy for an NCAA wrestler to take banned substances all off season and a significant portion of the season, and be cleared by the time they were tested at the NCAA championships.

I wrestled in the D1 championships twice. Won a couple of matches, but did not place. This was about 10 years ago. Was never tested for any substance throughout my career. I don’t think anything has changed, but let me know if it has.

I would think it would be very easy for an NCAA wrestler to take banned substances all off season and a significant portion of the season, and be cleared by the time they were tested at the NCAA championships.

Thanks for the first hand input.

Reactions: ArkieHawk
Banded? Is that past tense of the verb 'ban'? Or is this another Grammer test?

I think there is only one clown in this conversation. Caffeine is not a banned substance, neither is anything else in a Bang drink. Your reaching!!!!

Now we have a clown and a jack ass!!! "turns out....." Yea that is correct. It certainly is a item on the list. No where did I say it was banned. I cleared said too much of some things would produce a positive test. I also gave you the info that was given to us, plus said maybe things have changed. I do not drink coffee, but clearly remember coaches warning to only drink 1 cup!

I do not drink bang crap either, but most of these energy drinks have very high levels of caffeine equal to at least two cups of coffee or more. I would be 100% sure that had these drinks been around/popular back in the 80s, they would have all been on the list of what would give you a positive test!

I'd still be curious to know the concrete reality of PED testing in NCAA athletics.

From my understanding, the wrestlers are tested on Saturday night of the NCAA tournament (and maybe only the AAs?)

That's essentially the only time they're tested the entire year. The NCAA claims to do random tests, but the testing rate appears to be incredibly low. I imagine for many sports/schools they don't test at all or at least not every year and they leave it up to each university to handle their own testing (the same way they leave it up to each university to handle recruiting violations) which is obviously an insane conflict of interest.

If anyone has first hand knowledge, I'd be very curious to learn more and hopefully be told that I'm completely incorrect and the athletes are being randomly tested frequently by very stringent testing procedures.

It feels just like the UFC pre USADA. Sure, they "tested" fighters, but only the complete fools ever got caught. Once they switched to the most stringent testing, guys started popping left and right.

Fix was caught by USADA, WADA, or another olympic level testing agency. Not the NCAA. I believe the same goes for Valencia.

When is the last time a D1 wrestler has tested positive for PEDs and served a suspension due to failing a drug test administered by the NCAA? I can't recall a single instance. It's also incredibly rare in football. Marijuana suspensions are more common than PEDs.

Are the coaches/athletes all aware of the situation and just don't speak up? If I was a clean athlete, I'd want strict testing. With modern supplements and PEDs it's harder to detect and there are fewer side effects. With minimal testing, there are certainly more athletes tempted to use PEDs. It's a statistical impossibility that all of the wrestlers are clean, yet according to the NCAAs testing, that's apparently the case.
I am sure due to money and probably lawsuits too. The NCAA no longer does much of anything. I had a friend who played football at F*** st. In the 80s. Back then a decent amount of D-linemen and other Big fast position players were coming outa DII schools it seemed. I asked him why?

He told me many were on the sh*t in DII because they did not have the money/resources etc.... for testing. I knew he was most likely correct as many of the football players that I knew where using the sh*t
He said they would knock on your doors at like 3 in the morning at F*** st. and pull guys out for testing.

I suspect the reason we never hear about NCAA athletes failing drug tests is because the NCAA & schools have a different level of privacy policies than the NFL, USADA, etc.

However, I'd be willing to bet that NCAA drug suspensions are handled via the ubiquitous umbrella of 'suspended for violating team rules.'

I suspect the reason we never hear about NCAA athletes failing drug tests is because the NCAA & schools have a different level of privacy policies than the NFL, USADA, etc.

However, I'd be willing to bet that NCAA drug suspensions are handled via the ubiquitous umbrella of 'suspended for violating team rules.'

I don't think that's true.

Even if it were true, name me one notable D1 wrestler who's sat out for a PED suspension worthy amount of time due to "violation of team rules". C'mon man..

Even if it were true, name me one notable D1 wrestler who's sat out for a PED suspension worthy amount of time due to "violation of team rules". C'mon man..
Did the Clemson case make the news before or after the players appealed?

Fine. Since I can't name a notable DI wrestler that sat out due to team rules, the entire NCAA testing for wrestling is a sham because everyone knows that Penn State Wrestlers are juicing something illegal.

Fine. Since I can't name a notable DI wrestler that sat out due to team rules, the entire NCAA testing for wrestling is a sham because everyone knows that Penn State Wrestlers are juicing something illegal.

Huh? Weak shit. Prove me wrong. I'll gladly listen to someone who's more informed than me. But you clearly aren't that person.

This has nothing to do with Penn State, but if you know something we don't, feel free to share.

Reactions: pahawk68
That clown is you!!! High levels of caffeine IS BANNED by NCAA 300mg will do it for most. read the rules!!!

Reactions: IRONBIRD
That clown is you!!! High levels of caffeine IS BANNED by NCAA 300mg will do it for most. read the rules!!!
I stated your exact same post 2 lines down but thank for enlightening me. The math says you would need two drink two of them but whatever. He wasn't a clown for the subject, he was a clown for calling RBY a clown who he has probably never even met.

Well if we are splitting hairs, it's actually 500mg approx, and if RBY drank that much before a match, the only thing he should be worrying about is not pissing/shitting himself, and all of this could soon change as the anti-doping agency has no such limit.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
As of February 2021.
“Caffeine is permitted in sports governed by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). It is currently on WADA’s monitoring list which means it is not prohibited but WADA is monitoring it in case it becomes an anti-doping issue in the future. However, there are limits to the amount of caffeine athletes can use in NCAA sanctioned events. Please check directly with the NCAA for the relevant anti-doping rules.”
“The NCAA is the only organization that restricts the amount of caffeine in an athlete’s system by limiting urine concentrations to 15 ug/mL, which equates to ~500mg caffeine or ~6 to 8 cups of coffee 2 to 3 hours before an event.”

Last edited:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...not-tested-drugs-championships-onset-pandemic

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA has not tested players for performance-enhancing drugs at March Madness and other recent college championships, The Associated Press has learned. Three people with direct knowledge of NCAA testing protocols said full-scale testing has not resumed since the coronavirus pandemic shut down college sports a year ago.

Although athletes may have been tested on campus, either through the NCAA program or those run by schools, the NCAA has not ramped up its usual testing program at national championships such as the men's and women's basketball tournaments. The tournaments wrap up with Final Four games starting with the women's semifinals Friday.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...not-tested-drugs-championships-onset-pandemic

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA has not tested players for performance-enhancing drugs at March Madness and other recent college championships, The Associated Press has learned. Three people with direct knowledge of NCAA testing protocols said full-scale testing has not resumed since the coronavirus pandemic shut down college sports a year ago.

Although athletes may have been tested on campus, either through the NCAA program or those run by schools, the NCAA has not ramped up its usual testing program at national championships such as the men's and women's basketball tournaments. The tournaments wrap up with Final Four games starting with the women's semifinals Friday.

Lmfao, so they aren't even administering their standard once a year testing?

Again, I don't really get how coaches/ADs could stay quiet about this if their athletes/programs are clean. You'd think they'd want stringent testing.

In football we got tested once each spring. The same time and the coaches made sure we knew it. If you never failed that test you were only going to have to take that Spring test. If you did fail then you’d get tested more often. Also you were aloud multiple failed drug tests for recreational drugs. Never has anyone fail for PED’s even tho there were definitely guys taking them. This was, damn 15 years ago, getting old. No clue about wrestling tho.

Most of the tests are administered by the University. Usually, when you see a suspension it is due to multiple fails and it's usually weed. We were tested all the time from 89-93, however, the number and manor change a lot over those 5 years. The first time I was tested in '89, it was stripped down buck naked with an observer standing there watching you piss in the jar. By '93 it was reach in and and grab a poker chip, if you grabbed a blue one, go test. By then it was, here's your cup, bring it back when your done. No idea what it looks like today but just over those 5 years, things changed a lot.

Iowa conference/ D3 football did random drug testing, but iirc it was only like 2 guys after playoff games. I didn't travel to the playoff game, but we had one guy that over hydrated and couldn't produce a usable sample and the flight home from Oregon almost left without him.

I stated your exact same post 2 lines down but thank for enlightening me. The math says you would need two drink two of them but whatever. He wasn't a clown for the subject, he was a clown for calling RBY a clown who he has probably never even met.
Jock -off, I called the dummy a clown because he posted this crap! Never before, and hopefully never again will I see a NCAA athlete posting about energy drinks. Kid just won, good for him, act like a champion. There are probable young kids/wrestlers that follow him. Absolutely no good reason to post you drink a bang before matches.

OR- maybe I am wrong and good old bael has yet another trick up his sleeve and he is going to have the F*** st. singlets covered with sponsors like a Nascar! IF the NCAA finally grows a set and says, "gee mr. bael sir, this may be pushing the rules a little?" Then maybe he will just plaster the wrestling room walls, or maybe on his camp T-shirts???"

"Hi this is the great bael here at happy fun dodgeball playing state, You wanna know why my guy, rby???? Well BANG!!!!"

Jock -off, I called the dummy a clown because he posted this crap! Never before, and hopefully never again will I see a NCAA athlete posting about energy drinks. Kid just won, good for him, act like a champion. There are probable young kids/wrestlers that follow him. Absolutely no good reason to post you drink a bang before matches.

OR- maybe I am wrong and good old bael has yet another trick up his sleeve and he is going to have the F*** st. singlets covered with sponsors like a Nascar! IF the NCAA finally grows a set and says, "gee mr. bael sir, this may be pushing the rules a little?" Then maybe he will just plaster the wrestling room walls, or maybe on his camp T-shirts???"

"Hi this is the great bael here at happy fun dodgeball playing state, You wanna know why my guy, rby???? Well BANG!!!!"
Obviously you set the standard for how a champion should act and what they can and cannot say. Such a Tool!!!

Was a volunteer for the testing company hired by the NCAA a few years ago at nationals. Really cool experience. A few wrestlers at each weight are randomly selected before the tournament and notified following their first match. Then immediately taken for testing after they’re eliminated/finished in the tournament. Also, all of the champs are tested immediately following their press conference.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Obviously you set the standard for how a champion should act and what they can and cannot say. Such a Tool!!!
Partially correct you jock-off!!! Those that have been in the sport, teach the sport, understand and respect the sport for not only what it is, but where it comes from. Also for all the great men who have come before us and gave so much to the sport. It is my opinion that it is one of the last great sports left.

From time to time you have a bunch of clowns doing stupid sh*t that is NOT good for the sport. Does not matter who it was who said this. I would call them out. Try to think and understand things before you post your asinine BS!

Was a volunteer for the testing company hired by the NCAA a few years ago at nationals. Really cool experience. A few wrestlers at each weight are randomly selected before the tournament and notified following their first match. Then immediately taken for testing after they’re eliminated/finished in the tournament. Also, all of the champs are tested immediately following their press conference.

The one time a year they're tested, and they know of the chance beforehand. For testing to be effective, it needs to be random, frequent, and without notice.

Reactions: Grip220
Partially correct you jock-off!!! Those that have been in the sport, teach the sport, understand and respect the sport for not only what it is, but where it comes from. Also for all the great men who have come before us and gave so much to the sport. It is my opinion that it is one of the last great sports left.

From time to time you have a bunch of clowns doing stupid sh*t that is NOT good for the sport. Does not matter who it was who said this. I would call them out. Try to think and understand things before you post your asinine BS!
I've wrestled in the Olympic Trials (Greco), Coached on the All Marine team, have been either wrestling or coaching wrestling since I was 5 years old. I don't need a lecture about wrestling. Rby did nothing to disrespect the sport, himself or anything else. He's a kid out there having a good time and wrestling pretty damn well. He's on the "other" side so he is obviously a clown or cheating. or doping, that seems to be the consensus over here. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Must suck to go through life with that kind of hate in your heart.

Apparently the clown RBY posted he drinks a BANG energy drink before every match. Why he would do this I am unsure? Maybe he can collect more $$$ over at F*** st. for endorsements?

Just got me think though about when I wrestled in the 80's. We were read the riot act and there was a book of stuff you could not take or could not take too much. All the obvious things like steroids were on the list, but also Caffeine, aspirin and other pain killers etc...Once you made AA, they grabbed you and took you to bathroom to pee in a cup(this was DII).

We were even told not to drink too much coffee as it would make you test positive. I am guessing a Bang would certainly put you over the top, and 2,3,4 in a day!!!

Maybe things have changed?
Yes, Ironbird, things have changed in the last 30 to 40 years. I know you long for the good ol' days, but you need to get with the times.

Get off my lawn!

I've wrestled in the Olympic Trials (Greco), Coached on the All Marine team, have been either wrestling or coaching wrestling since I was 5 years old. I don't need a lecture about wrestling. Rby did nothing to disrespect the sport, himself or anything else. He's a kid out there having a good time and wrestling pretty damn well. He's on the "other" side so he is obviously a clown or cheating. or doping, that seems to be the consensus over here. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Must suck to go through life with that kind of hate in your heart.
For some reason this seems like a crock of sh*t honestly! IF you have been in the sport that long? IF you wrestled at that high a level? and IF you coached the Marine team? You would clearly understand. Once again, because you F*** st. fans fully know that things "aren't quite right" you immediately assume the worst!

I never said anything about performance from drinking a BANG! While it is true caffeine can add performance, and that is why it is on the list. I doubt it will help a wrestler enough to make a difference. That being said, My guess is the Marine Wrestlers would most likely not be running around claiming they slam em down!

As a coach, you may want to catch up on the garbage that is in these types of drinks! You may also want to consider if you would want yourself at 5 years old, 10 years old, 15 years old, seeing high level athletes promoting it?
Yes, Ironbird, things have changed in the last 30 to 40 years. I know you long for the good ol' days, but you need to get with the times.

Get off my lawn!
Things have changed, and when things change for the better. That is something good and something that should be embraced. Sorry to say, I know of NOONE that believes that sports now are better then 30-40 years ago as far as PRIDE- RESPECT- SPORTSMANSHIP-etc.... One could also point out many ways the world seems to be heading in a direction that is not for the better.

"getting with the times" is a very sad way to go through life my friend! Like a dead fish flowing with the tide!!! You may want to get out and fight the good fight? Try and make a positive difference.

Reactions: Inthecircle
For some reason this seems like a crock of sh*t honestly! IF you have been in the sport that long? IF you wrestled at that high a level? and IF you coached the Marine team? You would clearly understand. Once again, because you F*** st. fans fully know that things "aren't quite right" you immediately assume the worst!

I never said anything about performance from drinking a BANG! While it is true caffeine can add performance, and that is why it is on the list. I doubt it will help a wrestler enough to make a difference. That being said, My guess is the Marine Wrestlers would most likely not be running around claiming they slam em down!

As a coach, you may want to catch up on the garbage that is in these types of drinks! You may also want to consider if you would want yourself at 5 years old, 10 years old, 15 years old, seeing high level athletes promoting it?

Things have changed, and when things change for the better. That is something good and something that should be embraced. Sorry to say, I know of NOONE that believes that sports now are better then 30-40 years ago as far as PRIDE- RESPECT- SPORTSMANSHIP-etc.... One could also point out many ways the world seems to be heading in a direction that is not for the better.

"getting with the times" is a very sad way to go through life my friend! Like a dead fish flowing with the tide!!! You may want to get out and fight the good fight? Try and make a positive difference.
thanks Boomer

The good fight is going back to the days when caffeine was outlawed? Well, okay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT