ADVERTISEMENT

Dolph

Dolph really isn't as bad as some of you make him out to be.
The past few years since I can listen to Dolph live calling the game while watching on tv I would say he has a few constant faults. He is constantly calling out the yardage for the next down by guessing not waiting for an official spot and the scoreboard to reflect the official yardage. And then he constantly says "well it looked like he gained two more yards than that spot" or something like that.

Now a few times a game is no big deal but it happens a lot and it is annoying and I think confusing for the people only listenting to the game.

All he has to do is just wait a second or two to see where the official puts his foot down.

He makes a lot of errors on players names and I am sure he has a paid spotter in the booth or nearby so that is usually corrected fairly quickly.

He does do a good job of setting the pre-snap scene formation wise and motion wise and what the defenders are doing.

And he still gets excited for the hawks and called out to offensive problems this last year

Reactions: oxHawk
The past few years since I can listen to Dolph live calling the game while watching on tv I would say he has a few constant faults. He is constantly calling out the yardage for the next down by guessing not waiting for an official spot and the scoreboard to reflect the official yardage. And then he constantly says "well it looked like he gained two more yards than that spot" or something like that.

Now a few times a game is no big deal but it happens a lot and it is annoying and I think confusing for the people only listenting to the game.

All he has to do is just wait a second or two to see where the official puts his foot down.

He makes a lot of errors on players names and I am sure he has a paid spotter in the booth or nearby so that is usually corrected fairly quickly.

He does do a good job of setting the pre-snap scene formation wise and motion wise and what the defenders are doing.

And he still gets excited for the hawks and called out to offensive problems this last year
Dolph does a good job and is a great Ambassador for the Hawkeyes.

I'll say this about him I don't love or hate him but when working the occasional Saturday he was my only option. It was sometimes excruciating waiting for D&D, time left, quarter etc.
I hate to admit this but while listening to Huskers radio during losses for laughs their guys although homers are wayyy better about those certain things.
IMO Dolph would maybe be better for TV especially during his sharper younger years.
I feel like I age 10 years if I have to listen to an entire Iowa game on radio.

How old is Dolph these days? He got the gig with Learfield back in 1996, and it didn't seem like he was particularly young then. He's got to be well into his 60s, doesn't he? I wonder how long he keeps at it. Same goes for Hansen (63) and Podolak (76). I've got to imagine there will be a changing of the guard in the next few years. It will be strange hearing new voices on the call.

EDIT: I found a 2019 article that put Dolphin at 67. That means he turns 72 this year.

Did the Alabama announcer also do basketball games? If so maybe they did him a favor. Must be hard to keep up with all those thugs, yet maintain a positive disposition.

Iowa doesn't fire anyone.

Iowa is too afraid of change.

Iowa is always afraid the next guy could be worse!!

From coaches to play-by-play announcers to politicians, Iowans cozy up to their known commodities like a security blanket.

Ridiculous.

Reactions: Bruceman44
I love Dolph, despite his screw ups during the broadcasts.

FzU8bgnWIAUSgdN.jpg:large

Idk, I don't mind them at all. As someone said he does a good job of describing the formations and such and to me that is a huge deal and it gives a good mental picture of what is going on. Plus figure it this way, his job could not be easy when the offense is so bad. Then on defense our sacks and interceptions were down this year as well. Probably just pretty lucky he kept fans from falling asleep when we had the ball.

• Haha
Reactions: GHawk

So, are you pro or con?

• Haha
Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
Iowa doesn't fire anyone.

Iowa is too afraid of change.

Iowa is always afraid the next guy could be worse!!

From coaches to play-by-play announcers to politicians, Iowans cozy up to their known commodities like a security blanket.

Ridiculous.
Brian doesn't appreciate your sarcasm. Copeland agrees.

Dolph at his brst: The Catch although he got the receiver wrong. Extremely exciting. At his worst: most current games where you have to interpret the crowd noise to figure out what happened during the play. Ed used to help him like Steve Stone interpreted Harry's fantasies, but now Ed can only giggle. Keep Dolph on as Announcer Emeritus emceeing I-Club gatherings. Get an actual professional announcer. This may be even more important as streaming services take over video broadcasts.

I very rarely listen to them on the radio. I was at two weddings this year in Chicago and was listening then. I love Dolph but it was brutal. Down and distance wrong often, not sure who players were, the time of the game is rarely said.

All that is way, way better than basketball. Bobby does his absolute best to help him out but you never know score, scorer, fouls and he is constantly having to walk back statements or be corrected by Bobby on what happened.

I love Dolph and he's got a fantastic voice for radio. Just seems to not have it for PBP. I also hate his "questions" after games. Anyone else catch he just makes a statement then there's a pause to talk?

Reactions: nyhawk52
IMO part of what causes his problems is having to work in all the stupid little commercials as the game goes along. He just isn't that good, overall, anymore at keeping up with either game, but basketball is way worse.
I agree with Quad City; Eddie needs to go as well. I haven't listened to them a ton, but I almost felt bad for him at times--not sure if he was loaded or what.
They are both great ambassadors but a change needs to be made (as long as it's NOT Rob Brooks).

Reactions: GHawk
He's a quality human, but his play by play is getting bad. Basketball the other night was so so bad!
Again....I had absolutely no problem following the action and knowing what was going on while listening the other night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT