ADVERTISEMENT

Don't Tread on Me Gov Reynolds

West Dundee Hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 28, 2003
Don't tread on me Gov. Reynolds. Students & teachers have a right to wear a mask.

us-gadsden-flag.jpg

Well, she hasn’t encouraged it and she’s spent a lot of time exerting state control over local officials. So, I’m going to give that a lean to yes.

I'm a bit out of the loop but it was my understanding she said they could not require masks. If someone wants to voluntarily wear a mask, I don't think there is an issue with that*.

*I am sure she hates it, but that's not important.

Well, she hasn’t encouraged it and she’s spent a lot of time exerting state control over local officials. So, I’m going to give that a lean to yes.

So she hasn't said that and your spewing bullshit. Another day in the life of Lucas.

Reactions: ICHerky
Kimmy has been eerily quiet as Covid cases have drastically increased in Iowa in the last few weeks.

I'm sure we'll get one of those "I trust Iowans to do the right thing" press releases soon.

Plus, ahead of the State Fair, I don't think her handlers/donors want Reynold's comments in the news.

Kimmy has been eerily quiet as Covid cases have drastically increased in Iowa in the last few weeks.

I'm sure we'll get one of those "I trust Iowans to do the right thing" press releases soon.

Plus, ahead of the State Fair, I don't think her handlers/donors want Reynold's comments in the news.

I am flying up from Houston for the Fair (and my mom no pics birthday) Tuesday. EASTSIDE 4 EVA

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Reynolds took away local control by not allowing each district to determine whether or not to require masks. Local control used to be important to Republicans.

There are state laws for countless things. This is no different. Not every law involves local control. But then you already knew that.

Reactions: ICHerky
Reynolds took away local control by not allowing each district to determine whether or not to require masks. Local control used to be important to Republicans.
Republicans are about personal choice more than local control. Think of masks like prayer in schools. You have a right to wear a mask in school if you choose to do so, but the school can’t force you to wear one.

Republicans are about personal choice more than local control. Think of masks like prayer in schools. You have a right to wear a mask in school if you choose to do so, but the school can’t force you to wear one.
I heard a lot of uproar about Common Core where people were complaining it was taking away local control.

I've talked with some of board members in our area, here is where we are at. Due to no mandate, the elementary school will have to be shut down if there are cases due to students being unable to vaccinate. Its not an if its a when, and I am guessing by day 2-3 I am going to be off with the kids, unless they create a new law. Kimmy is going to be doing some major back pedaling here shortly. I am still waiting to see what happens at the state Fair. Sounds like a giant petri dish.

I heard a lot of uproar about Common Core where people were complaining it was taking away local control.
I haven’t paid much attention to the Common Core debate because my kids have all graduated, so you might be correct on that issue. But my understanding was that most of the objection to Common Core math is that it’s a confusing way to teach math.

I've talked with some of board members in our area, here is where we are at. Due to no mandate, the elementary school will have to be shut down if there are cases due to students being unable to vaccinate. Its not an if its a when, and I am guessing by day 2-3 I am going to be off with the kids, unless they create a new law. Kimmy is going to be doing some major back pedaling here shortly. I am still waiting to see what happens at the state Fair. Sounds like a giant petri dish.

What's different from last school year? If you were in close contact you needed to quarantine. They didn't shut down the entire school.

What's different from last school year? If you were in close contact you needed to quarantine. They didn't shut down the entire school.
If you were wearing a mask, you didn't have to quarantine in our school, the only issue we ran into once with our son was at Lunch, his tablemate went to go tested, had she tested positive my son would have been out for quarantine. In this case walking in the hallway without masks is too much of a risk for the entire school is what the administration is saying only in the elementary school. They have no worries about middle school and high school, basically saying its on those students and parents if they are not vaccinated. I think they are going to request vaccination copies. Then if something pops up only those vaccinated will remain in school.

If you were wearing a mask, you didn't have to quarantine in our school, the only issue we ran into once with our son was at Lunch, his tablemate went to go tested, had she tested positive my son would have been out for quarantine. In this case walking in the hallway without masks is too much of a risk for the entire school is what the administration is saying only in the elementary school. They have no worries about middle school and high school, basically saying its on those students and parents if they are not vaccinated. I think they are going to request vaccination copies. Then if something pops up only those vaccinated will remain in school.

Our school (masks required), required a 14 day quarantine if you were in close contact in excess of 15 minutes. Entire pods were sent home but not the entire school.

I'm concerned that liberal led districts are going to be shutting down entire schools for political theatre.

Our school (masks required), required a 14 day quarantine if you were in close contact in excess of 15 minutes. Entire pods were sent home but not the entire school.

I'm concerned that liberal led districts are going to be shutting down entire schools for political theatre.
You’re concerned about that because you are a dupe.

Reactions: ping72
I never said to shut down the schools. I just think it should be an option to require masks especially for schools serving children too young to be vaccinated. Local control just allows the local school boards to make those decisions. I'm pretty sure my old school in SW Iowa would not require a mask mandate because it would be unpopular with the community, but parents at schools in Des Moines or Iowa City might want a mask mandate. What's wrong with letting the locals decide what is best for their community?

Last edited:
I never said to shut down the schools. I just think it should be an option to require masks especially for schools serving children to young to be vaccinated. Local control just allows the local school boards to make those decisions. I'm pretty sure my old school in SW Iowa would not require a mask mandate because it would be unpopular with the community, but parents at schools in Des Moines or Iowa City might want a mask mandate. What's wrong with letting the locals decide what is best for their community?

What's wrong with individuals making that decision? That's as local control as it gets.

"I trust Iowans to do the right thing" spoken in church lady voice.

I haven’t paid much attention to the Common Core debate because my kids have all graduated, so you might be correct on that issue. But my understanding was that most of the objection to Common Core math is that it’s a confusing way to teach math.
Yes, the new way of teaching math is confusing for parents, but there were many people who didn't want someone else deciding their district's curriculum for them. Common Core started with reading/language arts. Math came around a year or two later.

So as an aside my wife is also a pharmacist, this is not political theater. Kids are being affected much more with this variant and the transmission is much easier. Essentially the previous precautions no longer really pass muster with this version. Also several kids are popping up with Diabetes in conjunction with getting Covid. This school year is going to be a much bigger mess than last year is my anticipation.

Reactions: ping72
What's wrong with individuals making that decision? That's as local control as it gets.
Covid is spread through contact. The only way to attempt to slow it down is for people to care not just about their own health, but the health of others. Schools take away person decisions all the time. You can't show up at school wearing your bathing suit to attend your math class. You can't decide that your child doesn't need to learn basic math. You can't opt out of tests. If a parent wants total control over what is required and the curriculum their child receives they can choose to home school.

See this thread for my latest update on Iowa's hospitalization trends:

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/c19-numbers-are-rising.350521/page-8

The State Fair is going to be a concern, I suspect attendance will not set any records as many will stay away. That will undoubtedly piss off KR and the Fair Board. Our dumb legislators may mandate fair attendance next year to own the libs.;)

Reactions: gohawks50
Covid is spread through contact. The only way to attempt to slow it down is for people to care not just about their own health, but the health of others. Schools take away person decisions all the time. You can't show up at school wearing your bathing suit to attend your math class. You can't decide that your child doesn't need to learn basic math. You can't opt out of tests. If a parent wants total control over what is required and the curriculum their child receives they can choose to home school.

Perhaps those that are worried can elect remote learning.

Perhaps those that are worried can elect remote learning.
Which only well off concerned parents really have the option to do. Can't you see how silly it is to risk the lives of children under 12 just so your party can claim to be the party of "freedom"?

Reactions: hawkbirch

And then a vindictive Governor pressures the BOE to not renew that Superintendent's license?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT