ADVERTISEMENT

Dr. Carson disqualifies himself

I continue to be amazed by the way so many people nationally, as well as some in this thread, purport not to understand something that is abundantly clear.

Carson isn't talking about the Constitution or the law. He's talking about his personal feelings vis-a-vis who is qualified to be president. That's all. That's why he doubled down when asked about it.

You can criticize his judgment, or call him a bigot, but the idea that he's bucking the Constitution, or doesn't understand it, is simply wrong.

This is a tempest in a teapot, except for those who choose to question his personal viewpoint.

You serious. Clark? The Bible threatens eternal damnation for non-believers. So what you seem to be saying here is that SOME interpretations of the Bible are inconsistent with the Constitution. Guess what, Sherlock, some interpretations of the Koran ARE consistent with the Constitution. As evidence, how about you examine the millions of law-abiding, country-loving Muslims that live here.

Most of whom are, btw, fully qualified to serve in every single elected office in the land.
as evidenced by Hussein in the wh {well not really, but it sounded good}

I continue to be amazed by the way so many people nationally, as well as some in this thread, purport not to understand something that is abundantly clear.

Carson isn't talking about the Constitution or the law. He's talking about his personal feelings vis-a-vis who is qualified to be president. That's all. That's why he doubled down when asked about it.

You can criticize his judgment, or call him a bigot, but the idea that he's bucking the Constitution, or doesn't understand it, is simply wrong.

This is a tempest in a teapot, except for those who choose to question his personal viewpoint.

Exactly. This. Now a proper extrapolation might be: "Well, if he doesn't think Muslim's ideals are consistent with the Constitution and he wouldn't advocate one for POTUS, will he treat them differently/poorly when he becomes POTUS?"

That would be a reasonable thought process. What isn't is claiming that he has "disqualified" anyone from anything. Some dunce compared him to Hitler screaming about Jews. Are you concerned that, if he became President, he would outlaw the Constitution, and start making up his own laws? If not, what the f*** are you talking about?

12046662_1121126524595781_4486012052055497872_n.jpg

You're one to speak on dumb things. Every other day you come up with bad polls, then when I don't think you could say anything more ignorant you make a worse poll.

I'm convinced you're an old crotchety man who is in assisted living and has no relatives who wish to visit him.

I feel sorry for you. :(
You really do seem to have run out of civil things to say.

Sorry but that's how you come off, just an old bitter man that thinks the system should take care of him aka a "freeloader".
And this is why I call you superficial. You don't seem capable of exploring an issue any deeper than a bumper sticker and then turn to personal attacks when you run out of things to say.

And this is why I call you superficial. You don't seem capable of exploring an issue any deeper than a bumper sticker and then turn to personal attacks when you run out of things to say.

You call ppl bigots and homophobes yet I'm the one who turns to personal insults. Laughable, btw I don't have bumper stickers. They are tacky, I will let your people put them on your vehicles. Gross

Ok, how so? Are women granted, under that interpretation of the Koran, equal protection? Are they to be treated under the law the same as men?

Well...

"Women have the same rights (in relation to their husbands) as are expected in all decency from them, while men stand a step above them." [Noble Quran 2:228]

Is it disqualifying if that doesn't appear? As noted earlier, it's not in the Bible so you have to disqualify all Christians if that's your litmus test.

BTW, the Koran allows women to, among other things, own property in their own name. Find that in the Bible.

You call ppl bigots and homophobes yet I'm the one who turns to personal insults. Laughable, btw I don't have bumper stickers. They are tacky, I will let your people put them on your vehicles. Gross
Bigot and homophobe are not personal insults. They are accurate labels for being who shares Carson's beliefs. How else would you describe someone who thinks that gay people are undeserving of equal rights and claims that prison is proof that sexuality is a choice?

BTW, the Koran allows women to, among other things, own property in their own name. Find that in the Bible.

pardon me for channeling my inner cigaretteman, but be careful who you are advocating for. is a person who believes in sharia law able to uphold the constitution? they seem to be at odds on certain issues.

Women
Main articles: Women in Islam and Islam and domestic violence
Domestic violence
Many scholars[20][241] claim Shari'a law encourages domestic violence against women, when a husband suspects nushuz (disobedience, disloyalty, rebellion, ill conduct) in his wife.[242] Other scholars claim wife beating, for nashizah, is not consistent with modern perspectives of the Quran.[243]

One of the verses of the Quran relating to permissibility of domestic violence is Surah 4:34.[244][245] In deference to Surah 4:34, many nations with Shari'a law have refused to consider or prosecute cases of domestic abuse.[246][247][248][249] Shari'a has been criticized for ignoring women's rights in domestic abuse cases.[250][251][252][253] Musawah, CEDAW, KAFA and other organizations have proposed ways to modify Shari'a-inspired laws to improve women's rights in Islamic nations, including women's rights in domestic abuse cases.[254][255][256][257]

Personal status laws and child marriage
Shari'a is the basis for personal status laws in most Islamic majority nations. These personal status laws determine rights of women in matters of marriage, divorce and child custody. A 2011 UNICEF report concludes that Shari'a law provisions are discriminatory against women from a human rights perspective. In legal proceedings under Shari'a law, a woman’s testimony is worth half of a man’s before a court.[154]

Except for Iran, Lebanon and Bahrain which allow child marriages, the civil code in Islamic majority countries do not allow child marriage of girls. However, with Shari'a personal status laws, Shari'a courts in all these nations have the power to override the civil code. The religious courts permit girls less than 18 years old to marry. As of 2011, child marriages are common in a few Middle Eastern countries, accounting for 1 in 6 all marriages in Egypt and 1 in 3 marriages in Yemen. UNICEF and other studies state that the top five nations in the world with highest observed child marriage rates — Niger (75%), Chad (72%), Mali (71%), Bangladesh (64%), Guinea (63%) — are Islamic-majority countries where the personal laws for Muslims are sharia-based.[258][259]

Rape is considered a crime in all countries, but Shari'a courts in Bahrain, Iraq, Jordan, Libya, Morocco, Syria and Tunisia in some cases allow a rapist to escape punishment by marrying his victim, while in other cases the victim who complains is often prosecuted with the crime of Zina (adultery).[154][260][261]

Women's right to property and consent
Sharia grants women the right to inherit property from other family members, and these rights are detailed in the Quran.[262] A woman's inheritance is unequal and less than a man's, and dependent on many factors.[Quran 4:12][263] For instance, a daughter's inheritance is usually half that of her brother's.[Quran 4:11][263]

Until the 20th century, Islamic law granted Muslim women certain legal rights, such as the right to own property received as Mahr (brideprice) at her marriage, that Western legal systems did not grant to women.[264][265] However, Islamic law does not grant non-Muslim women the same legal rights as the few it did grant Muslim women. Sharia recognizes the basic inequality between master and women slave, between free women and slave women, between Believers and non-Believers, as well as their unequal rights.[266][267] Sharia authorized the institution of slavery, using the words abd (slave) and the phrase ma malakat aymanukum ("that which your right hand owns") to refer to women slaves, seized as captives of war.[266][268] Under Islamic law, Muslim men could have sexual relations with female captives and slaves without her consent.[269][270]

Slave women under sharia did not have a right to own property, right to free movement or right to consent.[271][272] Sharia, in Islam's history, provided religious foundation for enslaving non-Muslim women (and men), as well as encouraged slave's manumission. However, manumission required that the non-Muslim slave first convert to Islam.[273][274] Non-Muslim slave women who bore children to their Muslim masters became legally free upon her master's death, and her children were presumed to be Muslims as their father, in Africa,[273] and elsewhere.[275]

Starting with the 20th century, Western legal systems evolved to expand women's rights, but women's rights under Islamic law have remained tied to Quran, hadiths and their faithful interpretation as sharia by Islamic jurists.[270][276]

pardon me for channeling my inner cigaretteman, but be careful who you are advocating for. is a person who believes in sharia law able to uphold the constitution? they seem to be at odds on certain issues.

I'm not advocating for anything. A Biblical literalist would be just as much at odds with the Constitution. You can't single out one and ignore the other.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Bigot and homophobe are not personal insults. They are accurate labels for being who shares Carson's beliefs. How else would you describe someone who thinks that gay people are undeserving of equal rights and claims that prison is proof that sexuality is a choice?

I doubt Carson is scared of homosexuals, which would be the literal definition of homophobia.

Next, it is the law of the land. So what if he believes it's a choice it's not like his belief is hurting you. Also, I'm having a hard time considering him a bigot especially when he clarified his statement.

Your move.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT