ADVERTISEMENT

Early Voting Observations--Johnson County, Iowa

I've been voting since 1976. For roughly 30 years, I had to go to the polling place, on election day, and stand in line for however long it took, to vote. If I wanted an absentee ballot, I had to call to get it mailed, and I had to provide a reason, under penalty of perjury, why I couldn't vote in person. This was true in Florida and Georgia.

It's mind boggling to see how some people don't think the expanded voting and vote by mail options aren't good enough.

There it is. The “I had to walk both ways uphill in 10ft of snow” and “you don’t know how good you whippersnappers have it” comment.

Reactions: Huey Grey
Well that's wonderful. What made you change?

My position is simply that, those who have more should help those who have less. And I believe government has a role to play in that. If R's believed in that, I'd be an R. But they don't, so I am a D.
I'm glad to want to help other people. That's very noble. Why do you think it's OK to make that decision for other people?

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Tj. I know what you are saying but ... they are not public transportation at anytime.
If partnering with various non-profit organizations to provide free transportation to polling sites doesn’t constitute public transportation then I guess I don’t know what public transportation is.

If partnering with various non-profit organizations to provide free transportation to polling sites doesn’t constitute public transportation then I guess I don’t know what public transportation is.
In some instances. It was in your original post about Uber and Lyft. You are just arguing to argue on this one. Edit: Does the government own any entity involved in the free transportation on Election Day?

In some instances. It was in your original post about Uber and Lyft. You are just arguing to argue on this one. Edit: Does the government own any entity involved in the free transportation on Election Day?
Why does it have to be owned by the government in order to be considered public transportation?

One day out of the year, two for-profit companies partner with various non-profit organizations in order to provide free transportation to polling places for people who need it most.

It kind of seems like you’re the one arguing just to argue here.

Why does it have to be owned by the government in order to be considered public transportation?

One day out of the year, two for-profit companies partner with various non-profit organizations in order to provide free transportation to polling places for people who need it most.

It kind of seems like you’re the one arguing just to argue here.
Government owned IS public transportation. Are you serious?

They just don't want it to be good enough. Because everyone is a victim, we have to create situations where two weeks of early voting, plus mail in voting, plus drop boxes, plus in-person voting on election day isn't enough. And you're a terrible person if you disagree.
The fact s the Legislature changed the voting rules because they could, as opposed to because there was a need to…..The RECORD IOwa vote in 2020 featured record absentee and early voting and really there we’re no illegal/fraudulent votes cast…….But “small town” small thinking Iowans in the Legislature didn’t like the trend so they wrenched down the rules and shortened the voting windows to cure a problem they saw….but no one else saw. If I lived in Buttphuque, Iowa I might too fear folks in big cities voting in record numbers…especially if these folks had funny last mes or were of a different skin pigmentation than I…..but to absolutely invent a reason to restrict someone else’s Constitutional right because on one’s own ignorance is ludicrous.

I feel reasonably safe guessing that 90% of Americans live within the service area of Uber and/or Lyft.

Service area? Sure

But now check on how reliable that service is (my folks live in a rural Iowa community; they cannot get access to either when no one is in the area who wants to drive there)

I'm glad to want to help other people. That's very noble. Why do you think it's OK to make that decision for other people?

Christ told others to act that way. I'm sure religion is only a crutch when it's convenient. 😉

That's pretty much the definition of "public transportation"

And, certain public access transport, which DOES operate in rural areas, CANNOT handle everyone trying to get to polls that same day.

They CAN provide access over a period of weeks prior to any election that early voting is allowed.

The fact s the Legislature changed the voting rules because they could, as opposed to because there was a need to…..The RECORD IOwa vote in 2020 featured record absentee and early voting and really there we’re no illegal/fraudulent votes cast…….But “small town” small thinking Iowans in the Legislature didn’t like the trend so they wrenched down the rules and shortened the voting windows to cure a problem they saw….but no one else saw. If I lived in Buttphuque, Iowa I might too fear folks in big cities voting in record numbers…especially if these folks had funny last mes or were of a different skin pigmentation than I…..but to absolutely invent a reason to restrict someone else’s Constitutional right because on one’s own ignorance is ludicrous.
You're doing a lot of assuming... and you know what happens when you assume.

What does that have to do with Uber and Lyft being a public transport?
This is what happens when you interject yourself into a conversation you're not a part of nor cared enough to read in entirety.
It's all there, go read it (or dont, I couldn't care less either way)

This is what happens when you interject yourself into a conversation you're not a part of nor cared enough to read in entirety.
It's all there, go read it (or dont, I couldn't care less either way)
Haha. I have read it in entirety. Have you?

I don't. I think government and people use our try to use their best decision making skills. It's far from a perfect science.

You're not a 13 year old girl (I assume). Speak like an adult. What are you trying to say?
He was incorrectly insinuating that the limited public bus service used for the elderly and disabled, could be used to take people to the polls.

He was incorrectly insinuating that the limited public bus service used for the elderly and disabled, could be used to take people to the polls.
That's the likely majority of people who NEED help getting to the polls

And when there is NOT an adequate early voting window, those systems are NOT capable of providing it all on a voting single day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT