ADVERTISEMENT

Ed Podolak transitioning out of role as Iowa football radio color commentator

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Long-time University of Iowa football radio analyst Ed Podolak is transitioning out of his role as color commentator.

“I have decided that this is a good time for me to step back from my role as color commentator for the Hawkeye football radio broadcasts,” Podolak said in a release. “I believe there is no greater honor than to be part of the Iowa Hawkeye Football team. I have loved watching these young men and coaches compete for the past 42 years. Sharing my perspective for the incredible Hawkeye fans from coast to coast has been a thrill.”

Podolak has been a part of nearly 500 Hawkeye football games as a radio analyst, spanning 42 seasons.

Podolak will take on a new role that consists of providing analysis during the pregame shows and on podcasts.

“I have said it often across 27 years that Ed Podolak is the best I've ever worked with in the broadcast booth,” said play by play voice Gary Dolphin in a release. “One of the game's great competitors, Ed's ability to explain plays was unparalleled. Football mentalities of all ages understood and enjoyed the humor each Saturday. I look forward to Eddie's continued involvement on game day."

• Sad
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Ed is 77-78 yrs old…He served Hawkeye football fans well, both as a player and as a “color” man… There is gonna be a whole lot of changes in UIowa football over the next year or so…time marches on….

If Eddie's transitioning out, so should Gary, his better days as a broadcaster are behind him, he's 72 years old I believe. Get a whole new broadcasting team into the booth.

Reactions: HROT and QChawks
thank god singing GIF by WE tv

Whoever steps into that job will have HUGE shoes to fill. Good for Eddie but sad day for Hawk fans.
Huge as in a former Hawkeye that played in the nfl for a bit as well. Or huge because he had big feet?

Not sure if you listened to any games on the radio lately but both he and dolph are not at the top of any radio broadcast. He shouldn’t be to hard to replace.

Last edited:
Huge as in a former Hawkeye that played in the nfl for a bit as well. Or huge because he had big feet?

Not sure if you listened to any games on the radio lately but both her and dolph are not at the top of any radio broadcast. He shouldn’t be to hard to replace.
Huge as in his voice is the one I most associate to Hawkeye football games and any replacement will fall short. Just good memories and in time I may like the replacement. Or not.

Time for Dolph to go too.
This past fall I was driving in Iowa during the Nebraska game. So I put on the radio. I had not listen to those two on the radio in many many years.

It was brutal. Two old men making random comments, but not calling much action… it was extremely difficult to understand what was happening with the game.

If Eddie's transitioning out, so should Gary, his better days as a broadcaster are behind him, he's 72 years old I believe. Get a whole new broadcasting team into the booth.
Trying to get Boomers to retire to let young folk take over has been very tricky as of late.

Reactions: nelly02
Up until a few years ago, EP was as good as it got in breaking down a football game. There is something about a QB and how they see the game that baked them different. But for 25 years or so, the was no radioman in America better than Ed Podolak. Just shut your phuquin’ mouths….EP was better than most if you here deserved!

I agree Eddie probably should have backed away 5 years ago…. But also know for most of his time EP was excellent…..buddy boy!

This past fall I was driving in Iowa during the Nebraska game. So I put on the radio. I had not listen to those two on the radio in many many years.

It was brutal. Two old men making random comments, but not calling much action… it was extremely difficult to understand what was happening with the game.
To be fair, I watched Iowa's offense all season, and it would have been extremely difficult to find the words to accurately describe what I was seeing.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind could have enjoyed covering Iowa games and trying to be postiive about the O.

There haven't been many offenses in all of power fb in the last 45 years that looked anything like what we say for several years in a row. It started with 66 yards in 2017 right after smoking OSU and went downhill. There were warning signs for a lot longer than that, but you could tell he was ... in a difficult spot.

HORT R’s seeing a post starting with “Ed Podolak Transitioning….”

200w.gif

I keep getting me. I keep thinking "wow, so courageous, what a role model for children" and then I see the rest of the title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT