ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Podolak out as Hawkeye football radio color analyst.

redbirdhawk

HR Legend
May 18, 2002
He will remain as a pre-game and post game commentator. Who will replace him? Chuck Long?

Eddie's quote:
“I have decided that this is a good time for me to step back from my role as color commentator for the Hawkeye football radio broadcasts,” said Podolak. “I believe there is no greater honor than to be part of the Iowa Hawkeye Football team. I have loved watching these young men and coaches compete for the past 42 years. Sharing my perspective for the incredible Hawkeye fans from coast to coast has been a thrill.
“I look forward to my new role this fall, providing analysis during the pregame shows and on podcasts.”

Bet it will be Rob Brooks.
Did Rob Brooks play football at Iowa, or in college anywhere, just wondering?

A football booth analyst needs to know his football. Eddie has been a little off the last season or two but still has good insight and comments. Dolph and Eddie were pretty hard on kirk brian and the offense last year especially.

Paul Burmeister would be great, former hawk QB, he has been doing sports announcing for 30 years or so. Great, smooth voice although Evy and Eddie didnt really have the voice

Need to get Danan Hughes back to Iowa! Does a great job with the B10 baseball tournament and is excellent with his commentary for the KC Chiefs!
Great idea! I havent heard Danan announce but former great hawk and I take your word he is very good.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene

A football booth analyst needs to know his football. Eddie has been a little off the last season or two but still has good insight and comments. Dolph and Eddie were pretty hard on kirk brian and the offense last year especially.

Paul Burmeister would be great, former hawk QB, he has been doing sports announcing for 30 years or so. Great, smooth voice although Evy and Eddie didnt really have the voice
Rob Brooks does the sideline reporting during games for radio and does some post game lockerroom interviews for football currently. So he has been around there since Old Bob Brooks started dragging him down there.

Paul is making bank. He ain't coming back for a penny any gig.

Yanda has given some nice interviews after his playing days. Very well spoken. As someone mentioned, Dallas Clark is pretty close to the program. And there are countless other guys with media experience. Will be interesting to see who gets the nod or if they rotate between a few guys to see who works out.

Reactions: Row55
there is only one suitable replacement

Yanda has given some nice interviews after his playing days. Very well spoken. As someone mentioned, Dallas Clark is pretty close to the program. And there are countless other guys with media experience. Will be interesting to see who gets the nod or if they rotate between a few guys to see who works out.
Anthony Herron?…

I'll definitely miss hearing buddy boy on the radio during games. But probably for the best considering his age.

Paul is making bank. He ain't coming back for a penny any gig.
Yeah, I figured Paul was still with NBC or some place, but you know these personalties, he could work later on Monday thru Thursday, fly Friday to the Iowa game site and call the game, then get back to rest on Sunday to Monday. Some of these announcers like Al Michaels tirico and others just love the job

Dallas Clark checks all the boxes. He's a small town Iowa kid who became a legend at Kinnick and in the NFL and is articulate and comfortable in front of a camera and microphone. I would think the job is his if he wants it.

Brooks is likely just waiting for Dolph to retire. He's a play-by-play guy.

Reactions: SI_NYC
Yeah, I figured Paul was still with NBC or some place, but you know these personalties, he could work later on Monday thru Thursday, fly Friday to the Iowa game site and call the game, then get back to rest on Sunday to Monday. Some of these announcers like Al Michaels tirico and others just love the job
There are things called non-compete clauses. His wife was my classmate in law school. I am sure she has apprised her hubby.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being Dolph's last year. Then again, maybe a new, younger play-by-play guy ends up re-energizing him.....but my guess is he calls it quits at the end of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT