ADVERTISEMENT

Edit-The 1974 USC game-Coach Bob Commings' running game they built

I listened to this game against the Natty Champs USCand some stats below. The hawks pushed USC all over the field offensively and were pretty stout defensively. Turnovers killed them. This USC team won that controversial Rose Bowl over OHio St and they crushed NDame.
IOWA USC
Total plays 91 44
First Downs 21 15
Yards rushing 249 118 (both include lost sack yards, etc)
Paaing-Att-Comp-Yds 17-9-114 USC 16-9-114
turnovers 5 2
Final Score 3 41
How is that stat line even possible?

Charles Phillips (later a starter for the Raiders) returned two fumbles (at the time the fumble had to not touch the ground to be returnable) -- one for 98 yards, second for 80 yards. Remember listening to the game on KXIC.

Reactions: uihawk82
You can see the game statistics sheet online for most modern Hawk games at the link below. The official hawk sports site for each past game has links to the game stats. And this stat sheet is a digital image of paper sheets that were filled in during and after the game.

As far as your question, how many plays did penn st run last saturday, 75 to 80?

Unfortunately I went to about every FXL and Commings coached home game many years ago. Really don’t want to go back there. Empty stands, even North end zone seats mostly empty.
That is when the North end zone was crap seating. I also made ALL the home games during those two coaches. Left a lot of games thinking - "Next time".

You can see the game statistics sheet online for most modern Hawk games at the link below. The official hawk sports site for each past game has links to the game stats. And this stat sheet is a digital image of paper sheets that were filled in during and after the game.

As far as your question, how many plays did penn st run last saturday, 75 to 80?

Oldxbbc I agree I have no desire to go back to the FXL / Commings days. In Commings last year, we in the Marching Band did the chant "Run to the left, Run to the right, Run up the middle and punt." The Winged T was not the answer even back in the 70s. But a good portion of the young players on the 78 team were the heart and soul of our Rose Bowl 81 team. If only I'd stayed at Iowa, I'd have marched in Pasadena as a senior. But if you'd told me to "stay the course" in front of the band in 78, the entire band would've been rolling on the floor in laughter. No desire to see those days again.
While we old farts are reminiscing, I remember those days too. Fortunately, the Hawkeye Marching Band was fantastic back in the day and was often the main attraction on game days. A small group of band members used to migrate around the field playing this “strip tease” tune while a bunch of guys from the band did a “kick line” like the Rockettes. It was always a hit with the fans.

And the Hawkeye Marching Band Extravaganza in Hancher was always a great show. I’ll never forget as a little kid being in awe as they came down the aisles playing the Iowa Fight Song to start the show. And my favorite song that they would sing that I didn’t fully understand until about a decade later….

“My mother is a fireman’s wife. She puts out fires.

My brother is a fireman’s son. He puts out fires.

My sister is a fireman’s daughter. She puts out….Hummmmmmmm.”😆

Sadly, the action on the field was an afterthought in those days.

Last edited:
Reactions: uihawk82
I knew Bob Commings and he was very bitter about his firing. He had a garage sale and got rid of most of his Iowa stuff, and a bunch of his Massillon HS stuff. I came away with some nice items.
I can recall him complaining that Hayden Fry was given support that he never got, and that Hayden went to the Rose Bowl with his players

I can recall him complaining that Hayden Fry was given support that he never got, and that Hayden went to the Rose Bowl with his players
With all due respect to Coach Commings, the fact that Hayden got to a Rose Bowl with Commings’ players probably indicates that he and his staff were able to coach them up much more effectively.

With all due respect to Coach Commings, the fact that Hayden got to a Rose Bowl with Commings’ players probably indicates that he and his staff were able to coach them up much more effectively.
I think so. Hayden's first QB Phil Suess was converted from safety, where Commings had been playing him.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
What a sad thread. The only thing sadder than looking back at the Nebraska glory days from ‘62-2001 is going back to 70s Iowa football.

What a sad thread. The only thing sadder than looking back at the Nebraska glory days from ‘62-2001 is going back to 70s Iowa football.
Nebraska is branded as "look back to our glory days!"

It makes those scary voices in your heads quiet down.

Oh.....I hope you're preparing your butt cheeks for Michigan. Wear something frilly and don't forget to make them a sandwich later...

Good Lord. Nostalgic about the 1970's Hawks and their running game? :rolleyes:

Yeah, the 0-11 1973 Hawks were 3rd in the Nation in passing defense. Hooray. They also gave up about 500 yards on the ground, so why pass against them?

Just bad teams until HF came along.

Reactions: 1inamillion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT