ADVERTISEMENT

End of a college football era, and good riddance

Minor complaint. I also do not like that the top 4 ranked conference champs get a bye. Why not the top 4 ranked teams period? The committee can take into consideration the conference championship in ranking the top 4.
I’m not a fan of the 12-team playoff. But if that’s what we’re going to do then I think that for several reasons it makes sense to give the byes to conference champions.

First, it places extra emphasis on winning your conference title. Second, it prevents a situation where a team is playing their 15th game against a team that is playing their 13th game and had 4 weeks to rest after game 12. If this format was in place right now and Ohio State was the 4-seed, they could potentially be playing a second round game on 4 weeks rest against a team that had to play a conference championship game and a first-round playoff game since the last time the Buckeyes took the field.

But most importantly, it guarantees that Notre Dame will never get a first-round bye unless and until they join a conference.

I’m not a fan of the 12-team playoff. But if that’s what we’re going to do then I think that for several reasons it makes sense to give the byes to conference champions.

First, it places extra emphasis on winning your conference title. Second, it prevents a situation where a team is playing their 15th game against a team that is playing their 13th game and had 4 weeks to rest after game 12. If this format was in place right now and Ohio State was the 4-seed, they could potentially be playing a second round game on 4 weeks rest against a team that had to play a conference championship game and a first-round playoff game since the last time the Buckeyes took the field.

But most importantly, it guarantees that Notre Dame will never get a first-round bye unless and until they join a conference.
If all the conferences are getting rid of divisions and the top 2 ranked teams are playing in the conference championship, this will almost eliminate the complaint. OSU would have played Michigan in the conference championship.

The other thing is non conference games become less importan. Also, teams would potentially be facing a conference foe 3 times: regular season, conference championship and playoffs.

Why is it so important to have a champion?
you-play.gif

Are all the conferences going to eliminate divisions and/or have top 2 ranked teams play for the conference championship? If so, this will be much better.

Minor complaint. I also do not like that the top 4 ranked conference champs get a bye. Why not the top 4 ranked teams period? The committee can take into consideration the conference championship in ranking the top 4.

Do you really want Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma and Georgia all getting a bye while repping the SEC? That’s what you would get.

None of this is about fairness, determining a true champion, etc. It never has been for college football. The playoff, in whatever format they want to play it, will be dictated by what will generate the most revenue

None of this is about fairness, determining a true champion, etc. It never has been for college football. The playoff, in whatever format they want to play it, will be dictated by what will generate the most revenue
I think a fair tournament would generate the widest and most interest, and the most money.
I think the problem is that the SEC and PAC12 were willing and working toward increasing their share of a smaller pie than we’d otherwise have.
e.g. Tournament generates $1 billion and they get 40% of it, or tournaments generates $500 million and they get 100% of it.

…for ESPN and FOX.

I'm just glad the ACC is done with their division set up. Now losing to Clemson doesn't automatically keep us from playing for the title. Tired of the top 3 teams being in the Atlantic while the best of the worst in the Coastal play for an unearned spot in the title game.
Uh, this hits a little close to home.

Do you really want Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma and Georgia all getting a bye while repping the SEC? That’s what you would get.
No. My preference is realignment as a whole. 4x16 team conferences. No divisions in each conference. Then conference championship is top 2 from each conference with each champ in the 4 team playoffs. Or just get rid of the conference championship game and take top 3 or 4 from each conference for the playoffs.

All money split evenly.

No. My preference is realignment as a whole. 4x16 team conferences. No divisions in each conference. Then conference championship is top 2 from each conference with each champ in the 4 team playoffs. Or just get rid of the conference championship game and take top 3 or 4 from each conference for the playoffs.

All money split evenly.
That would require the B1G and SEC to give up money and advantages over PAC12 Big 12 and ACC.

If we had leadership that cared about the overall health of the sport instead of their conference self-interest, then I think they would do exactly as you described.

Everything going wrong with college football can be traced back to a lack of leadership at the top of the sport.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT