ADVERTISEMENT

Enjoy Europe while we can

I just don't think it's overt -- Europe isn't being besieged by Islamic invaders with a strategy and purpose.

Instead they're import people who don't -- to a significant degree -- don't share the same cultural values as (most) Europeans do and are at risk of empowering said Muslims to affect culture and government.

Nearly 25% percent of a demographic wanting Sharia law -- and 50% saying homosexuality should be illegal -- is a big number.

Maybe stop importing those people.

I just don't think it's overt -- Europe isn't being besieged by Islamic invaders with a strategy and purpose.

Instead they're import people who don't -- to a significant degree -- don't share the same cultural values as (most) Europeans do and are at risk of empowering said Muslims to affect culture and government.

Nearly 25% percent of a demographic wanting Sharia law -- and 50% saying homosexuality should be illegal -- is a big number.

Maybe stop importing those people.
Apparently that would be racist?

Well, here’s where the Egyptian Muslims believe death to those who leave the religion
Not opening that, but you can find Trump supporters saying the same stuff. Religious extremists are bad.

Apparently that would be racist?
I think it's common sense.

It's on the basis of religion, anyway, not race.

I don't think you or anyone else is arguing against people from the muslim world who actually hold liberals values not being able to assimilate into European culture.

The trick is taking those sorts and not the ones who want sharia law. Which may be easier said than done. And since it's immigration -- it isn't your right to be able to be in any country you wish -- I don't think it's unreasonable to err on the side of caution.

Are you equating Muslims with Taliban now?

Would you tell one to his face he wasn't a muslim?

That would make a great tik tok.

gsi2-overview-1.png

Our founding fathers were well aware of the dangers of religion mixing with politics.

Separation of church and state is vital to being a healthy nation.

I fear religious zealots from any religion having control of our Government.

I am proud to be a Christian but embarrassed and ashamed of White Nationalist “Christians” and their attempts to control our country.

Our founding fathers were well aware of the dangers of religion mixing with politics.

Separation of church and state is vital to being a healthy nation.

I fear religious zealots from any religion having control of our Government.

I am proud to be a Christian but embarrassed and ashamed of White Nationalist “Christians” and their attempts to control our country.
I worry about all religious fundamentalists from any and all religions

Reactions: blhawk
I know many who have visited Turkey and loved it. It is nearly 100% Muslims. I think Europe will be fine.
Has any country been "fine" throughout history?

This stuff constantly changes. People do things to gain more power and control and the political landscape shifts. No country is immune to the fall of an empire.

Not too long ago Venezuela was one of the richest nations in the world. What gives you the confidence to say Europe and usa will be fine?

Has any country been "fine" throughout history?

This stuff constantly changes. People do things to gain more power and control and the political landscape shifts. No country is immune to the fall of an empire.

Not too long ago Venezuela was one of the richest nations in the world. What gives you the confidence to say Europe and usa will be fine?
LOL, when was Venezuela fine?
Legal protections for individual rights keep nations strong. When you guys start hacking away with Project 2025 that is when the trouble will start in the US.

Reactions: Ree4 and Tom Paris
LOL, when was Venezuela fine?
Legal protections for individual rights keep nations strong. When you guys start hacking away with Project 2025 that is when the trouble will start in the US.
come on ... we all remember when Venezuela was one of the richest countries in the world

a thing that definitely happened

they were the center of that famous Venezuelan empire

I do not care what "Sam Harris states", because he's not providing specifics on his "studies" or citing his own methods.

It's fearmongering. And it works on folks like you, who are sheltered Iowans.
Sam Harris is spot on when it comes to Islam. It truly reaches a tipping point.

Islam has never had a full throated reformation and until they do, it will struggle to balance freedom, human rights, and religion.

If you read, listen, and watch him you'd understand, but you'd rather cover your eyes and ears and yell 'racism' or 'fearmongering' into the void.

Don't worry, I feel the same way about any religion dictating a nation's laws. Trump's core fundamentalist supporters are cut from the same cloth.

I remember reading a book (or maybe a paper) in college addressing the extent to which immigration should be allowed and to what degree immigrants should be required to assimilate. It basically argued that they should be allowed to keep any unique racial, ethnic, religious, cultural, language, etc. values, but that the state should be able to require their adherence/allegiance to the foundational constitutional political identity of the new nation in a broad sense. So for the US, allegiance to the rule of law above men, representative democracy in a republican form, commitment to individual liberty, etc. I can't remember the name of it, but I found it really persuasive, and it has I formed my views on immigration ever since. How to do that in practice is another, trickier question though.

I’m aware, and think that those who have been there for generations and have assimilated, are not the issue, but as the population of non assimilating Muslims increase, do you think the ones who have simulated will take the side of the French people or the other Muslims
Have they “assimilated”? Many French believe these folks are the seed of the “race problems” in France today..
The racial problems in France are not “black and white” like here but more North Africa Muslim based .

Yeah we shouldn’t do that. I’ll admit I paint with a broad brush, because in the end, whenever a population threshold gets hit, the problems begin for women, gays, infidels
Well if you are worried about problems for women, gays, trans then we passed crisis mode a long time ago for the MAGA population threshold

I know many who have visited Turkey and loved it. It is nearly 100% Muslims. I think Europe will be fine.

I certainly would not want to live in Turkey, and we are close friends with a family from Turkey. I sympathize with anyone who worries about Islamic influence on politics. I don’t like that a minority of Americans who are aggressively Christian influence our laws. I really wouldn’t want Muslims gaining the kind of influence to do the same.

It is not a healthy culture, and certainly at odds with Western views of freedom.

Just an anecdotal observation.

My oldest daughter was a teachers assistant for a year at a German grade school after she completed gymnasium (high school).

Anyway, had multiple instances when there were disciplinary issues with children from Islamic families, the parents would only want to deal with the male principle of the school. Most of the teachers/assistants were female but the parents wouldn't want to deal with them. My daughter was yelled at by one father who didn't want to listen to a female.

It got to the point where my daughter didn't want to deal with it.

Anyway, totally anecdotal but there are some cultural issues that are problematic. To pretend there aren't is silly.

come on ... we all remember when Venezuela was one of the richest countries in the world

a thing that definitely happened

they were the center of that famous Venezuelan empire

IIRC, that was just before the Dutch pretty much owned the entire world, and had colonized everything.

The Dutch took everything from the Venezuelans....but then their entire fleet burned down in their harbor, and that was the end of the Dutch empire, too...

Reactions: Torg
I certainly would not want to live in Turkey, and we are close friends with a family from Turkey. I sympathize with anyone who worries about Islamic influence on politics. I don’t like that a minority of Americans who are aggressively Christian influence our laws. I really wouldn’t want Muslims gaining the kind of influence to do the same.

It is not a healthy culture, and certainly at odds with Western views of freedom.
More about the totalitarianism, than the religion, there.

Reactions: goldmom
Just an anecdotal observation.

My oldest daughter was a teachers assistant for a year at a German grade school after she completed gymnasium (high school).

Anyway, had multiple instances when there were disciplinary issues with children from Islamic families, the parents would only want to deal with the male principle of the school. Most of the teachers/assistants were female but the parents wouldn't want to deal with them. My daughter was yelled at by one father who didn't want to listen to a female.

It got to the point where my daughter didn't want to deal with it.

Anyway, totally anecdotal but there are some cultural issues that are problematic. To pretend there aren't is silly.
Fair enough, but there are posters here who don’t want to listen to a woman.

Fair enough, but there are posters here who don’t want to listen to a woman.
After WW2 the Germans brought in a lot of Turkish immigrants to help rebuild the country since they lost 6M men in the war.

They integrated just fine. The issues are more with the 2M influx from the Syria exodus a few years back. A generation or two down the road and I think they get assimilated as well. Kind of a severe culture shock for this generation.

Reactions: B1GDeal and goldmom
I remember reading a book (or maybe a paper) in college addressing the extent to which immigration should be allowed and to what degree immigrants should be required to assimilate. It basically argued that they should be allowed to keep any unique racial, ethnic, religious, cultural, language, etc. values, but that the state should be able to require their adherence/allegiance to the foundational constitutional political identity of the new nation in a broad sense. So for the US, allegiance to the rule of law above men, representative democracy in a republican form, commitment to individual liberty, etc. I can't remember the name of it, but I found it really persuasive, and it has I formed my views on immigration ever since. How to do that in practice is another, trickier question though.
That's where I stand as well. I am willing to accept anyone who is on board with fundamental principles regarding our political system.

Have they “assimilated”? Many French believe these folks are the seed of the “race problems” in France today..
The racial problems in France are not “black and white” like here but more North Africa Muslim based .
Making my point

One of my co-workers had a granddaughter who along with her best friend decided to take jobs teaching English at a school in Turkey. She enjoyed the first few months but both left at midterm. Despite covering head to toe every time they left their apartment they weren’t feeling safe. It may have had more to do with them being young females and not accompanied by a male “chaperone” like a family member.
They were young and didn’t listen to warnings from family.
Sometimes the lessons we learn best are the ones we have to teach ourselves.

Islam has never had a full throated reformation
Really?

During the Middle Ages, the Islamic countries were the ones that had all the world's libraries and knowledge repositories.
Did you fail history class in school?

Just because it's been taken over in some countries by extremist zealots today doesn't mean it was always that way. And the same is currently happening with Christian zealots, who are trying to impose their version of "morality" on the rest of Americans. You cannot seem to grasp that point.

Reactions: Ree4 and mthawkeyes
Really?

During the Middle Ages, the Islamic countries were the ones that had all the world's libraries and knowledge repositories.
Did you fail history class in school?

Just because it's been taken over in some countries by extremist zealots today doesn't mean it was always that way. And the same is currently happening with Christian zealots, who are trying to impose their version of "morality" on the rest of Americans. You cannot seem to grasp that point.
Such a false equivalency. Stoning for adultery, honor killings for being raped, women not allowed to drive, lgbtq murder and thrown off of buildings doesn’t equal abortion(I’m for it) or marriage inequality (I’m also for gay marriage)

I’m not even sure they’re as much racial as they are long standing grudges against their former “colonizers” but you’re right about the problems.
France has the highest population of Muslims in Europe with the number being in the teens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT