ADVERTISEMENT

Enough is Enough: #FireBarta

With every game like this, the odds of a Cook departure increase. I would gladly sit out a year not to be part of this circus for two more years. This is every bit as bad as the Lickliter era.

Academic types don't give a shit about Men's revenue sports because most of the revenue is B1G network money that comes Win or Lose.

I'd like to sign a petition to fire Barta, but the only way he'll get fired is if some Me Too incidents start happening at Iowa.

Academic types don't give a shit about Men's revenue sports because most of the revenue is B1G network money that comes Win or Lose.

I'd like to sign a petition to fire Barta, but the only way he'll get fired is if some Me Too incidents start happening at Iowa.
You mean like firing a couple of lesbians and the U of I handing out $5 myn. Fire that dumbass embarrassment now!!!

You mean like firing a couple of lesbians and the U of I handing out $5 myn. Fire that dumbass embarrassment now!!!
If that wasn't enough to get Barta fired, then having mediocre sports teams sure won't.

Barta...and Fran...are going to be here for a long time. Better get used to it. And might as well resign yourself to the fact Brian Ferentz will be the next head FB coach.

Close to $8 million in pay outs to TG and JM.

Barta didn’t document is why UI lost the case. How as the head manager you don’t document with write ups when you want to fire an employee(s) is beyond stupid. This just shows GB was in over his head and still is today.

Barta didn’t document is why UI lost the case. How as the head manager you don’t document with write ups when you want to fire an employee(s) is beyond stupid. This just shows GB was in over his head and still is today.

Well, he was following orders from counsel and HR, so maybe you are mad at the wrong person.

Reactions: cocoem
Well, he was following orders from counsel and HR, so maybe you are mad at the wrong person.

Agree with you regarding counsel giving the go ahead to fire but someone has to be held accountable and it falls back on GB for not documenting throughout the process of firing the both of them. Jury gave this reason as to why they awarded JM.

-------You mean like firing a couple of lesbians and the U of I handing out $5 mil.

I blocked that lesbians jump shot my Freshman year in college.....hey, she was a NAIA All American.

There doesn't appear to be any likelihood of this.

The information that became available publicly with the trial indicates a lack of performing the basic functions of a supervisor.
The ridiculously "negotiated" contracts and extensions in football and the poor hiring(lick) AND now contract extension in basketball do not appear to demonstrate the judgment that you would hope for in an athletic director at a B1G university.

That leaves fundraising.

So, I think a reasonable assumption is that the criteria by which the AD at the U of I is judged are heavily weighted toward sucking up to and squeezing every dollar possible out of big donors. And the rest is mostly an afterthought.

If that's the case the counsel and HR are incompetent as well. Anyone who has ever been in a position to hire and fire knows you have to document. That a guy overseeing a multi-million dollar operation doesn't do that it is just crazy.

If that's the case the counsel and HR are incompetent as well. Anyone who has ever been in a position to hire and fire knows you have to document. That a guy overseeing a multi-million dollar operation doesn't do that it is just crazy.

You aren’t familiar with three decades of unwritten policy in the Iowa AD

I work in a area of education that requires documentation (legally) that would be on Bartas level....what is said to us from the bachelors through masters level is “document document document”. How he didn’t is beyond me.

Reactions: skydog0784
I work in a area of education that requires documentation (legally) that would be on Bartas level....what is said to us from the bachelors through masters level is “document document document”. How he didn’t is beyond me.

Heck, I work in management in the private sector and everybody knows you have to document everything employee relations related. Date, time, attendees, and content. This is management 101.

Total incompetence to do otherwise.

Reactions: Crazy Hawk
Iowa had a culture of looking the other way for certain people for a long time.
Don't doubt it for a minute. Crazy Hawk mentions it above. Doesn't matter if you are the manager at the local Casey's or running Iowa athletics you have to document. It's HR 101. Losing that case was an indictment on not only Barta but the counsel and HR you mentioned as well. Several heads probably should have rolled from that situation. Barta would be gone, Fran wouldn't get his added buyout and might have to get his head out of his ass and reevaluate what he is doing with the program on all levels. Coaching staff, roster construction and recruiting vs his "style" of play, teaching fundamentals, conditioning, and on and on. Maybe this year will wake him up and he'll change some of those things, but don't think that is likely.

lfv-finger-pointing-down.jpg

Don't doubt it for a minute. Crazy Hawk mentions it above. Doesn't matter if you are the manager at the local Casey's or running Iowa athletics you have to document. It's HR 101. Losing that case was an indictment on not only Barta but the counsel and HR you mentioned as well. Several heads probably should have rolled from that situation. Barta would be gone, Fran wouldn't get his added buyout and might have to get his head out of his ass and reevaluate what he is doing with the program on all levels. Coaching staff, roster construction and recruiting vs his "style" of play, teaching fundamentals, conditioning, and on and on. Maybe this year will wake him up and he'll change some of those things, but don't think that is likely.

Let me rephrase. Barta tried to change the culture slowly but surely. Certain people thought that certain attributes made them beyond reproach.

UI Counsel told him to fire two lesbians without documenting why?

Barta went to court and couldn't come up with any documentation for why he fired either of the ladies. Even the insubordination event, he did not document it and put it on the record. They called KF to stand and of course KF hem and hawed and couldn't come with any reason he didn't like the Lady even though he supposedly had complained to Barta, because KF's job #1 is to protect his own ass, not Barta's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT