ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Bracketology, Updated MARCH 13. IOWA is a 5 Seed in CHICAGO Regional. Bracket Matrix on MARCH 13 has IOWA a 5 Seed. #14 NET Ranking on March 13

Lets face it. Losses are unacceptable on Hawkeye Report. Sadly, the football and basketball forums immediately go into meltdown mode following a loss. Lots of second guessing; so and so sucks; so and so should be playing; the coach is an idiot and should be fired; etc.

I don't get our fans sometimes. Obliviously, going into every contest there is always a possibility we might lose that game. Winning on the road, in the B1G, is not easy. Our opponent has good coaches and the same number of scholarship players. They want to win just as badly as we do.
Dude, we're 4-6 in the conference and have lost 3 of 4 with two future NBA players on the roster... Following a year where we had a very average Iowa basketball year with a NPOTY. It's OK for folks to be a little pissed.

As of FEBRUARY 4, 6:00 am CT:

7 B1G teams are in.

Seed/Team:
1 Purdue
3 Michigan State
4 Illinois
4 Wisconsin
5 Ohio State
7 IOWA
7 Indiana

Bracket Matrix, which currently combines the results of 110 brackets, has IOWA as a 8 Seed.

Link: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

The Full ESPN Bracket:

Shelby Mast is the Bracketologist for USA Today. His projections are based on how he thinks the committee will make their selections, not how he would want to make them, if the season ended TODAY.

On his website he brags that he is one of the most accurate Bracketologists with 15+ years experience and a 98% accuracy rate since 2005.

His bracket was last updated early this morning, Feb 4, 2022, 12:12 AM CT.

He has the same 7 B1G teams in the Tournament as Joe Lunardi of ESPN .

The 7 B1G teams that he has in:

Seed/Team:
1 Purdue............................Same as Lunardi/ESPN
3 Wisconsin......................a 4, per Lunardi/ESPN
4 Michigan State.............a 3, per Lunardi/ESPN
4 Illinois............................Same as Lunardi/ESPN
5 Ohio State.....................Same as Lunardi/ESPN
9 IOWA..........................a 7, per Lunardi/ESPN
9 Indiana...........................a 7, per Lunardi/ESPN

Last 4 IN - Belmont, Oregon, Creighton, North Carolina

First 4 OUT - Arkansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Florida State

Next 4 OUT - Mississippi State, Minnesota, Dayton, Stanford

His Full Bracket & Analysis:

Reactions: BigOHawk
Unfortunately, Michigan seems to have righted the ship and won't be easy either here or there. They will be having an interesting week, playing Purdue twice with a contest at Happy Valley in between, a happy valley sandwich, as it were.

I'm sure every Iowa fan is clamoring to see Iowa play Gonzaga again in the 2nd round game. What an accomplishment!

Shelby Mast is the Bracketologist for USA Today. His projections are based on how he thinks the committee will make their selections, not how he would want to make them, if the season ended TODAY.

On his website he brags that he is one of the most accurate Bracketologists with 15+ years experience and a 98% accuracy rate since 2005.

His bracket was last updated early this morning, Feb 4, 2022, 12:12 AM CT.

He has the same 7 B1G teams in the Tournament as Joe Lunardi of ESPN .

Seed/Team:
1 Purdue............................Same as Lunardi/ESPN
3 Wisconsin......................a 4, per Lunardi/ESPN
4 Michigan State.............a 3, per Lunardi/ESPN
4 Illinois............................Same as Lunardi/ESPN
5 Ohio State.....................Same as Lunardi/ESPN
9 IOWA..........................a 7, per Lunardi/ESPN
9 Indiana...........................a 7, per Lunardi/ESPN

Last 4 IN - Belmont, Oregon, Creighton, North Carolina

First 4 OUT - Arkansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Florida State

Next 4 OUT - Mississippi State, Minnesota, Dayton, Stanford

Was his site build with Netscape 3.0? :)

Mike DeCourcy is a Sporting News college hoops columnist and a Big Ten Network studio analyst.

He does a Bracket Forecast for Fox Sports.

He has the same 7 B1G teams in the Tournament as Joe Lunardi of ESPN and Shelby Mast of USA Today. How the 3 view the 7 B1G teams is a bit different, however.

Seed/Team:
1 Purdue............................a 1 per Lunardi/ESPN & Mast/USA Today
2 Wisconsin......................a 4, per Lunardi/ESPN, a 3 per Mast/USA Today
4 Michigan State.............a 3, per Lunardi/ESPN & a 4 per Mast/USA Today
5 Illinois............................a 4 per Lunardi/ESPN & Mast/USA Today
5 Ohio State.....................a 5 per Lunardi/ESPN & Mast/USA Today
7 Indiana...........................a 7, per Lunardi/ESPN & a 9 per Mast/USA Today
9 IOWA..........................a 7 per Lunardi/ESPN & a 9 per Mast/USA Today

His Full Bracket:

FKxQgVFVUAg3t-h

FKxTsoOVcAMIuNw

FKxTVH0VIAEi4PW

Iowa has no Quad 1 wins
Possibility of 4 based on the remaining schedule, depending on what Indiana does

Dude, we're 4-6 in the conference and have lost 3 of 4 with two future NBA players on the roster... Following a year where we had a very average Iowa basketball year with a NPOTY. It's OK for folks to be a little pissed.
I guess, but what exactly were the expectations going into this season given our losses from last years team? Most everyone picked Iowa 9th-11th preseason. As for Keegan IS he really a 1st team AA or did he just look like that against our early season schedule, and now that he's facing REAL competition and defense's he's struggling compared to what we saw earlier? I'm not in anyway knocking him or his potential as a future NBA player, but the there's no denying the last several games either. He has the rest of the season to flip the script on that narrative as well. Garza was the player of the year because for TWO full seasons IN and out of conference he played like an AA. Just think the Hawks may be closer to that 9 spot in the BIG this year then we'd all like to believe....

• Haha
Reactions: topherchris20
I'm sure every Iowa fan is clamoring to see Iowa play Gonzaga again in the 2nd round game. What an accomplishment!
Given our losses from last season, reaching the 2nd round this year with an entirely different team all in totally different roles may in FACT be quite an accomplishment. Guess it depends on your perspective.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Here’s what I’ve learned the last couple of years submitting brackets to bracketmatrix.com

A weak NCSOS will knock a team down by about 1 seed level.

Q1 wins and overall NET rating mater the most for seeding….most of the time. Mid Majors, because of their lack of opportunity are treated differently.

Conference tournaments don’t matter nearly as much as one would think. Last year I was off 1-2 seed lines on teams because I over estimated conference tournament results.

The committee 100% looks for “interesting” matchups

When it comes to seeding, remember that it comes down to literal distance when teams are seeded. They will not deviate from that formula unless it’s absolutely necessary. That’s why you’ll often see repeat matchups from the regular season.

I guess, but what exactly were the expectations going into this season given our losses from last years team? Most everyone picked Iowa 9th-11th preseason. As for Keegan IS he really a 1st team AA or did he just look like that against our early season schedule, and now that he's facing REAL competition and defense's he's struggling compared to what we saw earlier? I'm not in anyway knocking him or his potential as a future NBA player, but the there's no denying the last several games either. He has the rest of the season to flip the script on that narrative as well. Garza was the player of the year because for TWO full seasons IN and out of conference he played like an AA. Just think the Hawks may be closer to that 9 spot in the BIG this year then we'd all like to believe....
How'd Keegan do tonight bud?

Reactions: Mohawkeye

His bracket was last updated last night, Feb 6, 2022, 8:15 PM CT.

Seed/Team:
1 Purdue
3 Illinois
3 Wisconsin
4 Michigan State
5 Ohio State
10 IOWA
10 Indiana

Last 4 IN - West Virginia, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Creighton

First 4 OUT - San Diego State, Oregon, Florida, SMU

Next 4 OUT - Mississippi State, Washington State, Minnesota, Florida State

His bracket was last updated last night, Feb 6, 2022, 8:15 PM CT.

Seed/Team:
1 Purdue
3 Illinois
3 Wisconsin
4 Michigan State
5 Ohio State
10 IOWA
10 Indiana

Last 4 IN - West Virginia, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Creighton

First 4 OUT - San Diego State, Oregon, Florida, SMU

Next 4 OUT - Mississippi State, Washington State, Minnesota, Florida State

The computers love the Hawks this year. Just have to pick up enough wins to make themselves a viable candidate. And just knock of 1-2 of the good teams in conference at home. Just 1-2 is all.

The computers love the Hawks this year. Just have to pick up enough wins to make themselves a viable candidate. And just knock of 1-2 of the good teams in conference at home. Just 1-2 is all.

We stand at 15-7 (5-6).

I think we have s good shot at sweeping our remaining 4 home games.

When it comes to the 5 remaining road games, the only one I am comfortable with is at Nebraska.

That would get us to 20 wins. Will that be enough?

The 5 road games that are left:

--at Maryland
--at Nebraska
--at Michigan
--at #13 Illinois
PPD: at #16 OSU

The 4 Home games left:

--Nebraska
--Michigan
--#17 Michigan State
--Northwestern

Reactions: Hawksfor3
We stand at 15-7 (5-6).

I think we have s good shot at sweeping our remaining 4 home games.

When it comes to the 5 remaining road games, the only one I am comfortable with is at Nebraska.

That would get us to 20 wins. Will that be enough?

The 5 road games that are left:

--at Maryland
--at Nebraska
--at Michigan
--at #13 Illinois

The 4 Home games left:

--Nebraska
--Michigan
--#17 Michigan State
--Northwestern
In short, YES IMO! I still think a .500 conf record gets us in. Although a road win at MSU/NW/Mich/OSU would certainly cement a bid. Bubble is VERY soft from what I can see with teams around us in the 50s, 60s and 70s for NET ranking.

In short, YES IMO! I still think a .500 conf record gets us in. Although a road win at MSU/NW/Mich/OSU would certainly cement a bid. Bubble is VERY soft from what I can see with teams around us in the 50s, 60s and 70s for NET ranking.

Note that these are our remaining road games ;)

--at Maryland
--at Nebraska
--at Michigan
--at #13 Illinois

The remaining home games:
--Nebraska
--Michigan
--#17 Michigan State
--Northwestern

Mike DeCourcy is a Sporting News college hoops columnist and a Big Ten Network studio analyst.

He does a Bracket Forecast for Fox Sports.

He has the same 7 B1G teams in the Tournament as Joe Lunardi of ESPN. How the 2 view the 7 B1G teams is a bit different, however.

Seed/Team:
1 Purdue.....................a 1 per Lunardi/ESPN
2 Wisconsin...............a 4 per Lunardi/ESPN
3 Illinois......................a 3 per Lunardi/ESPN
5 Michigan State......a 4 per Lunardi/ESPN
5 Ohio State..............a 5 per Lunardi/ESPN
7 Indiana....................a 7 per Lunardi/ESPN
9 IOWA.......................a 7 per Lunardi/ESPN

His Full Bracket:

FLF2jdYVQAAHsFX

FLF3x0lUYAI-USJ

FLF3d0lUUAEWrME

@TheTruthTheWholeTruth , what do you think we have to do over these next 9 games?

The remaining road games:

--at Maryland
--at Nebraska
--at Michigan
--at #13 Illinois

--Nebraska
--Michigan
--#17 Michigan State
--Northwestern

@TheTruthTheWholeTruth , what do you think we have to do over these next 9 games?

The remaining road games:

--at Maryland
--at Nebraska
--at Michigan
--at #13 Illinois

--Nebraska
--Michigan
--#17 Michigan State
--Northwestern
I would guess 3-1 at home and 2-3 on the road. This team is good enough to go on a run but hasn’t yet shown the consistency to do so.

Everyone save this comment when we reach the Sweet 16.
Wouldn't that just be icing on the cake. Waiting for a Sweet 16 since what, 1998? And then of ALL years it happens this year, totally unexpected especially when we've had a better overall team several other times, including last year. That said, with an 8/9 game most likely first round and #1 seed next will be a tall order.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT