ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN NBA Draft Analyst: Payton Sandfort has a Ready-Made Skill for the NBA. Invited to May 12-19 NBA Draft Combine

Millions...not millions.....not a hard decision
It is a little more complex than that. At least two aspects: a few $million now or a few $million starting next year, but also end participation on the Iowa BB team or come back next year and see what my teammates (including Pryce) and I can accomplish. Barring injury, the money will be there, whether in the G league/NBA or overseas. Decision for playing BB at Iowa final. There could be other family, etc issues I don't know about.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
It is a little more complex than that. At least two aspects: a few $million now or a few $million starting next year, but also end participation on the Iowa BB team or come back next year and see what my teammates (including Pryce) and I can accomplish. Barring injury, the money will be there, whether in the G league/NBA or overseas. Decision for playing BB at Iowa final. There could be other family, etc issues I don't know about.

Payton needs more time based on the "fix the deadline" hashtag

Sean is a basketball writer for Field of 68 Daily and a freelance writer.

full text of his tweet:

Perhaps the biggest remaining decisions: Hunter Sallis at Wake and Payton Sandfort at Iowa.

Both could put their teams in the preseason NCAA Tourney discussions. That’s how impactful Sandfort and Sallis are to their respective teams.

I really like Iowa if Sandfort is back. Owen Freeman is a monster, and Josh Dix is probably the least discussed breakout star in 2024-25. That dude can straight up hoop. Highly efficient scorer in the mid-range, just needs to shoot it more from 3.

Payton is a surprisingly effective rebounder considering his combine #s.
He is quick off his feet which helps.
I do think the "weak/strong" draft is very fluid and is largely all about the top 15 picks.
After the top 5-10 everyone is developmental guys who are 18-19 years old..hard to project.
A lot of rebounding is IQ, (Having a feel for where to be) and want to. Neither Rodman or Barkley were ridiculous athletes, but probably the two best board men (as undersized as they were). Hell throw in Moses Malone. He was half the athlete that Darryl Dawkins was, but he'd mop the floor up with DD on the boards......

Reactions: chaneccooms
A lot of rebounding is IQ, (Having a feel for where to be) and want to. Neither Rodman or Barkley were ridiculous athletes, but probably the two best board men (as undersized as they were). Hell throw in Moses Malone. He was half the athlete that Darryl Dawkins was, but he'd mop the floor up with DD on the boards......
In Bill Simmons Book Of Basketball he said Moses ( paraphrasing) was like a prisoner that had unreal instincts, jumping ability, and a phyco passion to rebound. then warden told him if he got 20 rebounds in a game he would be free. And that's how Moses rebounded for 10 years.

perfect analogy. so true.

Rodman didin't have some the usual "basketball skills", but he was freak athlete, at least in his first few years in Detroit.

What? Rodman was an incredible athlete, as evidenced by his vertical leap and speed running the court at the combine. Once in the league, he was the only player I can remember big and quick enough to stay in front of James Worthy's spin move.

What? Rodman was an incredible athlete, as evidenced by his vertical leap and speed running the court at the combine. Once in the league, he was the only player I can remember big and quick enough to stay in front of James Worthy's spin move.
A lot of Bulls fans forget that it took Scottie Pippen a couple of years to not get totally shut down by Rodman.

Half of Moses Malone's rebounds were on the offensive end. He'd miss a bunny, grab his own rebound and put it back in. He was a bad MF'er.

Reactions: kceasthawk

Barkley could also jump out of the gym. Unreal vertical for someone of his girth.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Barkley could also jump out of the gym. Unreal vertical for someone of his girth.
A lot of people forget how much he slimmed down in the pros versus what they remember him from as the round mound of rebound in college

A lot of people forget how much he slimmed down in the pros versus what they remember him from as the round mound of rebound in college
Bobby Knight didn't include Barkley on the Olympic Team, and that rejection might have done Barkley more good than any accolades he ever received. Barkely became a great NBA player.

It doesn’t say when, but he apparently played at 300 pounds at one point. On a 6’4” frame!

It doesn’t say when, but he apparently played at 300 pounds at one point. On a 6’4” frame!

He may be pushing three-fitty right now.

stan marsh guy GIF by South Park

I think that may have been when he first left college, which was part of his nickname "The Round Mound of Rebound". Moses Malone took him under his wing his first couple of years in the NBA and he lost significant weight. He ballooned up again in retirement, but watching him on TV he lost a ton again.

I think that may have been when he first left college, which was part of his nickname "The Round Mound of Rebound". Moses Malone took him under his wing his first couple of years in the NBA and he lost significant weight. He ballooned up again in retirement, but watching him on TV he lost a ton again.
I believe that was Dr. J who told him to get his fat ass in shape.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT