ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN NBA Draft Analyst: Payton Sandfort has a Ready-Made Skill for the NBA. Invited to May 12-19 NBA Draft Combine

I’m sorry, but the vertical and athletic ability is whatever to me. Y’all seen Jokic play?
You are comparing Sandfort to Jokic? While I get that Jokic has a poor vertical jump, he is 5-6" taller than Sandfort, weighs 70+ pounds more so can bang, is the best passing big man in the game, handles the ball off the dribble better than Sandfort, and shoots a similar 3pt% to Sandfort, but from the NBA distance, not college. Garza would have been a better comparison, but he has just made a roster in the NBA, and while taller, has a 2" better standing and running vertical. I also see Sandfort compared to Niang, but his vertical, while not great, is 3" better than Sandfort. I also see him compared to Korver, who was almost 4" higher vertical.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez
Joe's combine measurables (vertical, shuttle times, etc) jumped off the charts with athleticism. I don't think PS is near the athlete.

Joe’s 3 point shooting has never really kicked in post college. His last year at Iowa he hit 46% from deep. In limited NBA plus G league he seems to have topped out at 38% or so. Not bad, but not great either.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Have you seen 99 percent of the nba players?

Jokic couldn't carry his team of shooters past the significantly more athletic wolves.

Jokic is fascinating to watch. The guy is slow & looks unathletic but he seems to always get at least a double double and a lot of times a triple double.

And if not for blowing a 20 point third qtr lead in their last game, they'd probably be winning another NBA championship

I think the writing is on the wall (Payton will be back)

Payton working out for Golden State today is interesting, though
Isn't the ceiling for Sandfort 2nd round? Does coming back a year do anything to budge that?? Unless he gets a decent NIL deal. Why not get a jump on making some money?

Isn't the ceiling for Sandfort 2nd round? Does coming back a year do anything to budge that?? Unless he gets a decent NIL deal. Why not get a jump on making some money?
My thoughts as well. Unless he comes back next year and shoots 50% from 3 nothing is going to change. His combine score is a killer. He would test out the same next year. Even if he were to get drafted he’s going to end up in the d/g league. No idea what he’s getting from NIL.

• Sad
Reactions: BirdistheWord
I'm with CBS, what's his upside..? or can that question only be asked in the football forum? lol

He did not help himself. He has a better and quicker stroke than Weezy - but it’s like having a great golf swing but you just miss too many putts. but he is going to make his money as a spot up shooter from 3. He better crank up his percentage.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
My thoughts as well. Unless he comes back next year and shoots 50% from 3 nothing is going to change. His combine score is a killer. He would test out the same next year. Even if he were to get drafted he’s going to end up in the d/g league. No idea what he’s getting from NIL.
It will come down to whether he’s had enough of college life and feels he’s ready to move on …or… if he understands that he’ll never get these college age years back and he should max it out while he can.

Yes, making bank is what drives us working stiffs, but if he’s getting some NIL, can coast thru his academics and get his degree while playing big time college ball, why not?

His call in the end, but I know what I’d do if I were him and having 50+ years of hindsight.

Not good on the shooting numbers. Come back, Payton. And hone in on your consistency.
I find it interesting we have an NBA level player and still couldn’t do a lick in our conference or in the NIT let alone make the tourney. Either this hype is off base or we have so little talent we can’t exploit PS because we haven’t anyone else to take the pressure off him to help us win games; or even shut down most opponents defensively.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Payton is still undecided. He's working out with Utah next week.

"The combine didn’t go the best, but the workouts have gone really well…..I still am no where near a decision....Everyone has loved the shooting. I didn’t really shoot it the best at the combine, but nobody really cared."

Good story from yesterday:

Payton Sandfort talks workout with Golden State Warriors, draft process and more!

IOWA CITY, IOWA – We are just over a month away from the 2024 NBA draft and more importantly, we are inching closer to the deadline for NCAA athletes to pull their name from the draft pool.

Iowa’s Payton Sandfort is one of the players who is still testing the waters with the NBA and spoke with media after working out for the 2022 NBA champion Golden State Warriors.

“Growing up in the 2000’s it’s hard not to be excited to come workout here. See all the history, all the rings and stuff.” Sandfort said Thursday afternoon.

Sandfort’s play style is about as perfect of a match for the Warriors fast paced, three point oriented offense. He shot 37.9% from deep on over seven attempts a game in this past season for the Hawkeyes.

Listed at 6’7″ 215 lbs. Sandfort has great length and size for an NBA shooting guard with the ability to also slide down to the small forward position. With the way the league plays now, wing players are the at the highest demand, especially those who can shoot at the level Sandfort can.

He quickly stepped into the role of a leader on this team after the Hawkeyes lost their leading scorer (Kris Murray) to the NBA for the third season in a row.

Here are a couple things we learned today when Sandfort met with the media.

The decision is far from finalized:

“I’m really looking to personally feel like I belong in the league.” Sandfort says, “To some level I have done that with some of these workouts. The combine didn’t go the best, but the workouts have gone really well…..I still am no where near a decision.”

The Iowa wing hurt his shoulder during one of the scrimmages in the combined, a minor injury that has flared up a couple of times recently.

Sandfort shared that the teams he has worked out for include the Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Clippers, as well as interviewing with the Los Angeles Lakers. He also confirmed his next stop will be to the Utah Jazz next week.

“I’m no closer than I was the day I left Iowa City.” Sandfort said, “It can be a little stressful, there’s a lot on the line and obviously I have a ton of family back in Iowa……..I’m just trying to enjoy this opportunity as much as possible.”

Teams like his shooting, he’s trying to show more:

“A lot of teams are different, everyone has loved the shooting. I didn’t really shoot it the best at the combine, but nobody really cared. A lot of the teams are looking to see what else I can do well, the rebounding,” Sandfort said when asked what he is hearing from teams at this point, “I did rebound well last year, they want to see that I am physical and I can hold my own down there defensively. That’s what I have been trying to show and I’m still waiting to hear from a lot of other teams.”

He posted a career high 6.6 rebounds a game this season for Iowa while also raising his steal and block averages. He also shared the support he has received from Iowa Head Coach Fran McCaffery throughout this process.

“He came to the combine, watched the game and was checking in on me when I hurt my shoulder. He’s been nothing but supportive through this process and I know he’ll support me either way. Obviously he wants me back though I think.” Sandfort laughed as he made the last remark.

Sandfort has a little less than a week to make his final decision as May 29th is the deadline for students to withdraw from the NBA draft and retain their college eligibility.

If Sandfort does remain in the draft, he will have to wait until June 26th or 27th when the draft will take play at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I find it interesting we have an NBA level player and still couldn’t do a lick in our conference or in the NIT let alone make the tourney. Either this hype is off base or we have so little talent we can’t exploit PS because we haven’t anyone else to take the pressure off him to help us win games; or even shut down most opponents defensively.
Did you watch the interior defense and how badly we got beat on the boards against better teams? Fortunately, the two worst defenders and rebounders, at least for their size, are gone. Payton is also not very good on defense.

Payton is still undecided. He's working out with Utah next week.

"The combine didn’t go the best, but the workouts have gone really well…..I still am no where near a decision....Everyone has loved the shooting. I didn’t really shoot it the best at the combine, but nobody really cared."

Good story from yesterday:

Payton Sandfort talks workout with Golden State Warriors, draft process and more!

IOWA CITY, IOWA – We are just over a month away from the 2024 NBA draft and more importantly, we are inching closer to the deadline for NCAA athletes to pull their name from the draft pool.

Iowa’s Payton Sandfort is one of the players who is still testing the waters with the NBA and spoke with media after working out for the 2022 NBA champion Golden State Warriors.

“Growing up in the 2000’s it’s hard not to be excited to come workout here. See all the history, all the rings and stuff.” Sandfort said Thursday afternoon.

Sandfort’s play style is about as perfect of a match for the Warriors fast paced, three point oriented offense. He shot 37.9% from deep on over seven attempts a game in this past season for the Hawkeyes.

Listed at 6’7″ 215 lbs. Sandfort has great length and size for an NBA shooting guard with the ability to also slide down to the small forward position. With the way the league plays now, wing players are the at the highest demand, especially those who can shoot at the level Sandfort can.

He quickly stepped into the role of a leader on this team after the Hawkeyes lost their leading scorer (Kris Murray) to the NBA for the third season in a row.

Here are a couple things we learned today when Sandfort met with the media.

The decision is far from finalized:

“I’m really looking to personally feel like I belong in the league.” Sandfort says, “To some level I have done that with some of these workouts. The combine didn’t go the best, but the workouts have gone really well…..I still am no where near a decision.”

The Iowa wing hurt his shoulder during one of the scrimmages in the combined, a minor injury that has flared up a couple of times recently.

Sandfort shared that the teams he has worked out for include the Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Clippers, as well as interviewing with the Los Angeles Lakers. He also confirmed his next stop will be to the Utah Jazz next week.

“I’m no closer than I was the day I left Iowa City.” Sandfort said, “It can be a little stressful, there’s a lot on the line and obviously I have a ton of family back in Iowa……..I’m just trying to enjoy this opportunity as much as possible.”

Teams like his shooting, he’s trying to show more:

“A lot of teams are different, everyone has loved the shooting. I didn’t really shoot it the best at the combine, but nobody really cared. A lot of the teams are looking to see what else I can do well, the rebounding,” Sandfort said when asked what he is hearing from teams at this point, “I did rebound well last year, they want to see that I am physical and I can hold my own down there defensively. That’s what I have been trying to show and I’m still waiting to hear from a lot of other teams.”

He posted a career high 6.6 rebounds a game this season for Iowa while also raising his steal and block averages. He also shared the support he has received from Iowa Head Coach Fran McCaffery throughout this process.

“He came to the combine, watched the game and was checking in on me when I hurt my shoulder. He’s been nothing but supportive through this process and I know he’ll support me either way. Obviously he wants me back though I think.” Sandfort laughed as he made the last remark.

Sandfort has a little less than a week to make his final decision as May 29th is the deadline for students to withdraw from the NBA draft and retain their college eligibility.

If Sandfort does remain in the draft, he will have to wait until June 26th or 27th when the draft will take play at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.

Hard to imagine that NBA teams believe Payton can guard NBA perimeter players. His rebounding last year was largely a function of more rebounds being available, especially with Patrick and Krikke on the floor. Payton does have some court savvy, but he just doesn't have the athleticism of almost all NBA players not playing center.

Hard to imagine that NBA teams believe Payton can guard NBA perimeter players. His rebounding last year was largely a function of more rebounds being available, especially with Patrick and Krikke on the floor. Payton does have some court savvy, but he just doesn't have the athleticism of almost all NBA players not playing center.

Middle second round....

be a 2nd rounder this year or a 2nd rounder next year?
Yep. Decision hinges on how much Payton thinks he can accomplish next year at Iowa, both individually and as a team. Is that worth $1.1 million/year, which will probably be available for the next few years?

Yep. Decision hinges on how much Payton thinks he can accomplish next year at Iowa, both individually and as a team. Is that worth $1.1 million/year, which will probably be available for the next few years?

and if one of these teams tells him they will draft him if he's available in the 2nd round...

At least 6 teams are showing interest: he has worked out for the Golden State Warriors, Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Clippers, as well as interviewing with the Los Angeles Lakers. He will work out for the Utah Jazz next week.

Can he make some improvements but apparently 2024 is weaker draft class
I suspect Payton can continue to make improvements in his game, but his athletic abilities pretty much are what they are. Seems like his chances to ever be a first-round pick are remote, but his shooting will always interest some teams in the second round. Again, minimum NBA rookie salary is $1.1M, which applies to most second rounders, and often a 3-year contract.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
I suspect Payton can continue to make improvements in his game, but his athletic abilities pretty much are what they are. Seems like his chances to ever be a first-round pick are remote, but his shooting will always interest some teams in the second round. Again, minimum NBA rookie salary is $1.1M, which applies to most second rounders, and often a 3-year contract.

he's a good kid and I wish him the best in whatever he decides

if he goes pro, yikes....there goes @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset 's NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP hopes....

His only value is as a shooter. It all starts and ends there. Defensively in the NBA he would always be a liability.

There is no shortage of examples of NBA teams making bizarre picks. Taking a flier on Payton with a late second round pick wouldn't even make the top ten of inexplicable draft moves.

Reading some of the comments about his private workouts with teams sounds like he's making the sale there and that impression may well top the negative one from the pre-draft evaluation camp performance.

It's highly unlikely that he'll get any faster/quicker or jump higher next year. As this appears to be a very weak draft class, now may be the time to take his shot if he's getting word from teams in these private workouts that they'll pick him if he's on the board late. I really don't see his relative value looking better next year, particularly if it's a better quality/deeper draft.

I believe most 2nd round contracts are not guaranteed. His shooting is the ticket but he really took a step backward with such poor testing. Euro league?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT