ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN NBA Draft Analyst: Payton Sandfort has a Ready-Made Skill for the NBA. Invited to May 12-19 NBA Draft Combine

I find it interesting we have an NBA level player and still couldn’t do a lick in our conference or in the NIT let alone make the tourney. Either this hype is off base or we have so little talent we can’t exploit PS because we haven’t anyone else to take the pressure off him to help us win games; or even shut down most opponents defensively.
Georgia was 16-16 with Anthony Edwards in 2020. Situations like that happen all the time.

NBA GM on drafting Payton Sandfort....

"Well he is a great shooter, but he's slow, can't jump, defensive liability. Who else is there? Oh, there's Players X, Y, Z who all shot the ball as well as Payton. They jump higher, run faster, and can defend a little bit. Payton is 21 years old. Players X, Y & Z are 19 & 20 years old."

Who do you think they pick? If I were to bet, I'd bet he's not getting drafted this year or next. And I'm an optimist.

NBA GM on drafting Payton Sandfort....

"Well he is a great shooter, but he's slow, can't jump, defensive liability. Who else is there? Oh, there's Players X, Y, Z who all shot the ball as well as Payton. They jump higher, run faster, and can defend a little bit. Payton is 21 years old. Players X, Y & Z are 19 & 20 years old."

Who do you think they pick? If I were to bet, I'd bet he's not getting drafted this year or next. And I'm an optimist.
If I am a GM and I am choosing between Coleman Hawkins and Payton, for example, I think I know which I would choose, although Payton is the better shooter.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
the combine killed his NBA dreams Im afraid.

He's asked to do too much at Iowa IMO by no fault of his own. He would be a deadly weapon for a more complete college team.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
full text of tweet:

The biggest NBA Draft deadline decisions I am watching this week (deadline is 5/29)

Prob staying in:

Johnny Furphy (Kansas)
Hunter Sallis (Wake)

50/50:
Mark Sears (Bama)
Alex Karaban (UConn)
Coleman Hawkins
JT Toppin
Jamir Watkins
Payton Sandfort (Iowa)
Cam Christie

Likely return:

Jaylen Wells
Trevon Brazile
Jaxson Robinson
Jarin Stevenson (Bama)
Arthur Kaluma

Come play with your bro another year Payton. You'll never get to do that again.

I think he's 50/50 on it because he's gonna be a 2nd rounder this year and a 2nd rounder next year, so why not go pro now?

One thing that may sway him is if some donor (who was gonna pay Proctor) decides to pay Payton if he returns for one more season.

I think he's 50/50 on it because he's gonna be a 2nd rounder this year and a 2nd rounder next year, so why not go pro now?

One thing that may sway him is if some donor (who was gonna pay Proctor) decides to pay Payton if he returns for one more season.
He's a second rounder (maybe) this year in a weak draft. Next year? There very well might be no next year.

If it's his dream, he should take it while he can.

Last edited:
So, apparently, he's going to wait until the last minute to make his announcement?

tenor.gif

Payton is not the only one taking his time....

What follows is from 30 minutes ago:

the full text of the tweet:

Less than 12 hours until the NBA Draft withdrawal deadline, still a long list of notable players yet to make official decisions. Among them:

Mark Sears
Alex Karaban
Caleb Love
David Jones
Johnny Furphy
Hunter Sallis
Johnell Davis
DaRon Holmes
Payton Sandfort
Matthew Murrell
Jarin Stevenson
Nique Clifford
Chase Hunter

Coleman Hawkins
Jamir Watkins
Jaxson Robinson
Wooga Poplar
Arthur Kaluma
Ugonna Onyenso

Reactions: Hawksfor3
IIRC, Jarrod Uthoff told teams to not draft him and he played in the G League for a bit
I believe a team wanted to draft-and-stash him and he preferred to take his chances as an undrafted free agent. It kind of worked out, as he did play in 16 NBA games. Gotta think that Aaron White would have played in at least a few NBA games if his rights weren't held.

• Haha
Reactions: peacehawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT