ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Power Rankings

SotaHawk87

HR Legend
Jan 3, 2015

This will make some of the resident posters upset but it is what it is. Boy is it hard to be a Hawkeye fan and enjoy the hell of this 🙄

images

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Perfectly normal feeling for me to disagree with the national media about my team… it’s just not usually in this direction.

But - if a poll had Iowa ranked 15-20, which feels like the true quality level of this team…. I would absolutely call them biased.

Conclusion - never satisfied with national media

The people arguing against Iowa at 3 (or top 5 is probably more accurate) are the same people that don’t watch any other football.
It speaks volumes that Iowa played a very meh game and won by 23. Clemson played a very meh game yesterday and only won by 6 against a team worse than Kent State!

The people arguing against Iowa at 3 (or top 5 is probably more accurate) are the same people that don’t watch any other football.
It speaks volumes that Iowa played a very meh game and won by 23. Clemson played a very meh game yesterday and only won by 6 against a team worse than Kent State!
OSU was only up by one score until 5 min left too.

Reactions: F5n5 and SotaHawk87
Awesome. At the end of the day every time I think I have seen enough of Petras and this offense they wheel me back in with a few great plays.

This defense is stellar, same with special teams….as ESPN said, when the offense is even remotely on this team is gonna be a tough out for anyone in the nation. Even when the offense struggles I believe they could play with anyone.

I don’t know, after watching PSU/AU last night I think we lose to either one. Not buying the hype on Indiana or ISU but they were nice wins. We play a team with as gifted athletes as us, unlike Kent State, and I think we get killed.

Don’t know if petras is the answer and not certain he’s the sole problem offensively but I have no confidence he can bring us back from behind. He’s adequate with a lead but hasn’t shown he’s got “it”.

Another tune up game next week then at MD on a Friday night in an odd spot. That one worries me leading up to Penn St showdown.

I tend not to believe our top 5 ranking, either, but I agree that we tend to assume there must be at least 10-15 other teams out there better than the Hawks. Probably a matter of habit for most of us.

Our D and special teams are truly elite this year, and that makes us very tough to beat. No, the O isn’t explosive at this point, but they did look better yesterday and could still find their rhythm.

I don’t think this is a time for Hawk fans to be beating their chests, but we have a great chance to be 5-0 with an undefeated PSU coming to Iowa City. That will be a great chance for the Hawks to prove themselves, and I fully expect them to give PSU all they can handle and quite possibly more.

This team may not be real sexy, but they’re legit and quite possibly worthy of that #3 by their name. The good news is that they’ll have every opportunity to prove it.

Last edited:
I tend not to believe our top 5 ranking, either, but I agree that we tend to assume there must be at least 10-15 other teams out there better than the Hawks. Probably a matter of habit for most of us.

Our D and special teams are truly elite this year, and that makes us very tough to beat. No, the O isn’t explosive at this point, but they did look better yesterday and could still find their rhythm.

I don’t think this is a time for Hawk fans to be bearing their chests, but we have a great chance to be 5-0 with an undefeated PSU coming to Iowa City. That will be a great chance for the Hawks to prove themselves, and I fully expect them to give PSU all they can handle and quite possibly more.

This team may not be real sexy, but they’re legit and quite possibly worthy of that #3 by their name. The good news is that they’ll have every opportunity to prove it.
Hoping for a black and gold “stripe out” night game. Win that game and the sky’s the limit.

I don’t know, after watching PSU/AU last night I think we lose to either one. Not buying the hype on Indiana or ISU but they were nice wins. We play a team with as gifted athletes as us, unlike Kent State, and I think we get killed.

Don’t know if petras is the answer and not certain he’s the sole problem offensively but I have no confidence he can bring us back from behind. He’s adequate with a lead but hasn’t shown he’s got “it”.
Our passing scheme and Petras both leave much to be desired. The number of times we throw laterally for a 2-3 yard gain is nauseating.

So just when was the last time that Iowa, "got killed"?.....Nobody is going to "Kill" Iowa unless we start turning the ball over..

This is going to be an interesting year. Alabama looks beatable. Clemson could have lost yesterday because their quarterback doesn't know how to take a snap from under center. Ohio State has already lost. Oklahoma greatly benefitted from UNL's poor kicking game. There isn't a team out there that can't be beaten.

If Iowa spanks PSU like they did ISU, will they get any first place votes I wonder?

Reactions: F5n5
So just when was the last time that Iowa, "got killed"?.....Nobody is going to "Kill" Iowa unless we start turning the ball over..
2015/16 Rose Bowl

Iowa played other shitty games since then but that one the Hawks were completely outmatched literally from the start.

• Haha
Reactions: FlickShagwell
I honestly don't know how good the Hawks truly are or where they will end when the season is over. They are fun to watch and they are winning. I suspect they will lose at least one game this year. 10-2 would be an exceptional year based on what I expected before the season. Winning the West would be huge. Those are both possible. I expect 2022 to be a great season. It is a great time to be an Iowa fan.

I agree with no teams look unbeatable. I'm really interested to see the BIG East race between Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State. I know Michigan hasn't played anyone yet but they look damn impressive. It might be a Michigan vs Hawks in BT championship :cool:

Edited: actually Sparty looks like they may have something this year as well

I agree with no teams look unbeatable. I'm really interested to see the BIG East race between Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State. I know Michigan hasn't played anyone yet but they look damn impressive. It might be a Michigan vs Hawks in BT championship :cool:

Edited: actually Sparty looks like they may have something this year as well
Penn State looked good last night I thought. Beat a good Auburn team. They will be tough to beat.

2015/16 Rose Bowl

Iowa played other shitty games since then but that one the Hawks were completely outmatched literally from the start.
Yes. And no.

Context matters, and IMHO, Iowa had its heart ripped out in that last-second loss to MSU in the Big Ten title game. Call it an excuse if you want, but anyone who has ever played serious sports should be able to understand how Iowa--players and coaches and even many fans--simply could not recover from that loss. Hell, I still get depressed when I watch that game and see what might have been.

Maybe Stanford and McCaffrey would have beaten the Hawkeyes no matter what. Nobody will ever know.

What I do know is that I will always believe that Rose Bowl was a case of the Hawkeyes being in Pasadena physically, but their hearts and souls were still in Indianapolis. It's weird that the Rose Bowl is now a consolation prize. It's just not right, and maybe the new setup will restore the Rose Bowl to its rightful place on a permanent basis.

Bottom line: The 2016 Rose Bowl was an outlier. And I think there was a good reason for it.

If we can beat Penn State (and no I don’t think Maryland is a slouch) then look out boys!!! Especially if Michigan takes care of Wisconsin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT