ADVERTISEMENT

ESPNU Top 25 Games of 2018

Feb 25, 2008
Scrolling channels and happened upon the 7 OT game between LSU and TAMU, which came in at #11 on ESPN's countdown of their top 25 games from last season.

So I decided to scroll forward to see some of the upcoming top 10 games "ranked" ahead of this one, and I was kinda stunned to see coming in at #5 was Iowa at Penn State.........

I guess I'll watch if they can edit the ending to be a more positive outcome for Iowa. :)

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Scrolling channels and happened upon the 7 OT game between LSU and TAMU, which came in at #11 on ESPN's countdown of their top 25 games from last season.

So I decided to scroll forward to see some of the upcoming top 10 games "ranked" ahead of this one, and I was kinda stunned to see coming in at #5 was Iowa at Penn State.........

I guess I'll watch if they can edit the ending to be a more positive outcome for Iowa. :)

I watched it on espnu. One of the stranger games you will ever watch and maybe the most frustrating game as an Iowa fan.

But even with all of the mistakes Stanley made... if he just calls a freaking timeout down on the goal line in the 4th quarter when the team was not ready, we still win the game. Incredibly disappointing game. Any “goodwill” Stanley had built up with this Hawkeye fan was completely washed away that day.

But even with all of the mistakes Stanley made... if he just calls a freaking timeout down on the goal line in the 4th quarter when the team was not ready, we still win the game. Incredibly disappointing game. Any “goodwill” Stanley had built up with this Hawkeye fan was completely washed away that day.

He was playing through a broken thumb. Overreact much?

That was one of the most boneheaded plays I've ever seen in a college game. Call timeout and the Hawks win that game. The overthrow was bad too and don't hand me the broken thumb crap, either. The broken thumb would have caused him to underthrow the route or come out sideways (east or west) not a perfect spiral 15 yards past Hockenson

Reactions: TKingpin

1. Agree that Stanley should have called timeout.
  2. Even if Stanley does call timeout, there's no guarantee we score a TD. We had 1st and goal from the 3, so the expectation is certainly that we score a TD there, but that's not necessarily a given.
  3. Even if we do score a TD there, we would have only gone up by 1 and there was over 3 minutes left for Penn State to drive to get within field goal distance.
There's no game Stanley would rather have back more than the Penn State game, but Penn State also had their fair share of big mistakes too (gave up two safeties, allowed a fake FG for a touchdown, threw a pick 6). Absolutely a game I feel Iowa should have won as we had more passing yards, more rushing yards, more first downs, and won time of possession by 10+ minutes, but it's not like PSU played their A-game either. It was a coin flip game.

Last edited:
  1. Agree that Stanley should have called timeout.
  2. Even if Stanley does call timeout, there's no guarantee we score a TD. We had 1st and goal from the 3, so the expectation is certainly that we score a TD there, but that's not necessarily a given.
  3. Even if we do score a TD there, we would have only gone up by 1 and there was over 3 minutes left for Penn State to drive to get within field goal distance.
There's no game Stanley would rather have back more than the Penn State game, but Penn State also had their fair share of big mistakes too (gave up two safeties, allowed a fake FG for a touchdown, threw a pick 6). Absolutely a game I feel Iowa should have won as we had more passing yards, more rushing yards, more first downs, and won time of possession by 10+ minutes.

Yep, PSU had plenty of gaffes to their credit that game. If you are really pissed off after a loss just remember, the other team wanted to win the game too.

That was one of the most boneheaded plays I've ever seen in a college game. Call timeout and the Hawks win that game. The overthrow was bad too and don't hand me the broken thumb crap, either. The broken thumb would have caused him to underthrow the route or come out sideways (east or west) not a perfect spiral 15 yards past Hockenson
How? I could see the ball getting away from him and sailing (like it did) but not being underthrown.

After bashing up your thumb by following through on your throwing motion. Being reluctant to follow through on your throws after said incident, will make you overthrow your target.

Why have backup quarterbacks if you will never use them? That's a coaching deficiency that will not be changing any time soon.

Missed chances to go up big in the beginning settling for FG’s, INT on goal line, missed TJ for TD, missed Smith on last drive after he beat the CB, and the interior oline played terrible sums up a lot of the game.

Or if the refs had seen KF calling for the timeout.

last year was the season of missed chances. Should have beat Penn State and Wisconsin. Those games were lost because of dumb errors. Purdue and Northwestern were right there as well. But definitely should have split those games.

Reactions: TKingpin
Unfortunately this was a big turning point in the season.
Unfortunately this was a big turning point in the season.
Ehh....I feel like the Wisconsin game sort of exposed issues (mental moreso than anything), among other games, and those issues just decided to rear their ugly heads over the next 2 games that followed.

And also injuries because BAU.............

Ha....oh yeah.

Forgot about that tomfu**ery..........

See @DodgerHawki ;).......more examples of a** hole refs being a**holes and getting in the way of Iowa losing games on their own.

Iowa threw that pick. We didn't need the officials to screw that up for us, but they STILL managed to be a**holes and screw things up by not granting a timeout which was clearly being called before the snap.

Fun stuff, isn't it.....:)

He was playing through a broken thumb. Overreact much?

(1)
There has never been anything publicly stated that he broke his thumb. He played the next week, and the next, with his thumb wrapped. Clearly he strained/hurt it somehow, but no one on the staff, or other players ever stated he broke that thumb. Overstate things much?

(2) Hitting his hand on that helmet did NOT happen on the first snap. It happened well into the game and IIRC, he had already overthrown Hockenson on the gimme touchdown that wasn’t. I will have to look at the replay to see when exactly it happened, but he may have been at 4/15 for 50 whole yards before the thumb injury.

Note: Payton Mansell needs to answer why he didn’t throw that 4th down ball to Hockenson, who was Wide Open at the end of the first half. The net effect could also have changed the outcome of the game. A completion likely results in a first down, giving us an opportunity for a FG at the very least. Handing the ball back to them with 37 seconds left was just enough for PSU to drive down the field and score a FG to tie it at 17. Momentum PSU going into halftime. I hope this isn’t a precursor of Mansell’s decision making ability...

Reactions: ejrose21

One official even started to raise his arms and inexplicably chose not to blow the whistle for the time out! Yes, the Hawks made several bone headed mistakes on that play, and Stanley played poorly the whole game. However, if the ref had done his job properly we would've gotten the timeout and still first and goal on the three... Also, note Stanley's stats after the Penn St. game. He rebounded very well - even with an injured thumb. We are fortunate to have an excellent QB coming back this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT