ADVERTISEMENT

Every season except summer is getting shorter, a sign of trouble for people and the environment

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
In the 1950s, the seasons occurred in a predictable and relatively even pattern in the Northern Hemisphere. Flowers bloomed around April. Children planned summer adventures starting in June. Leaves dropped in September. Ski trips began in December.
But recently, the seasons have been out of whack. Over the past seven decades, researchers found high summertime temperatures are arriving earlier and lasting longer in the year because of global warming.
This summer was no exception. In parts of California, which saw its hottest summer on record, unusually warm temperatures arrived in May. Shasta Dam posted its third warmest May on record, a harbinger of a record melt season for the glaciers on the summit of Mount Shasta to its north. Sacramento logged its fifth warmest May.
Folsom Lake during a drought in Granite Bay, Calif. on Aug. 27. (David Paul Morris/Bloomberg)
In the Pacific Northwest, a record-breaking heat wave in late June also occurred much earlier than the region is accustomed to. On June 28, Seattle reached 108 degrees and Portland reached 116 degrees.
“The old rule for our area was typically from the Fourth of July on, you could expect some hot weather,” said Michael Brady, an economics professor at Washington State University. “So not only was the level of the temperatures unprecedented, it was also at least a couple of weeks before you would even expect high temperatures.”
Pacific Northwest heat wave was ‘virtually impossible’ without climate change, scientists find
Unusually hot weather also lasted longer than usual in parts of the Lower 48 states as a late-season heat wave scorched the West in the second week of September. Denver hit 99 degrees on Sept. 10, its highest temperature recorded so late in the season. Earlier that week, Death Valley reached 122 degrees, the highest temperature observed so late in the year anywhere on the planet.
As we mark the end of summer and the fall equinox on Wednesday, fall and winter may not offer much reprieve. Research shows summers are expanding while spring, autumn and winter are becoming shorter and warmer with significant impacts for people and the environment.

By late this century, summer could last six months, winter could be less than two​

(Pixabay)
In April 2018, a sizable snowstorm blanketed several towns in New Jersey in what seemed like a freak occurrence. In March 2012, unusually warm temperatures in Michigan caused vegetation to emerge from dormancy early, but then were subsequently destroyed by freezing weather in April.
As more unusual weather reports popped up over the years, researcher Yuping Guan was inspired to examine how seasonal cycles were changing. He and his colleagues analyzed temperature data from 1952-2011 and found the four seasons no longer occur equally and had irregular onsets.
In the Northern Hemisphere mid-latitudes, the length of summer increased from 78 to 95 days — or about 4.2 days per decade from 1952-2011. Winter contracted from 76 to 73 days, or 2.1 days per decade on average. Spring decreased from 124 to 115 days, and autumn shrank from 87 to 82 days; each shrank about one day per decade. All seasons were warmer. The most obvious seasonal length changes occurred around the Mediterranean and the Tibet Plateau.
Without changes to mitigate global warming, summer could last nearly six months, study finds
Guan wrote in an email that it’s difficult for people to feel the effects of a small rise in global temperature over many decades, but that the changing length of seasons is something “everyone can understand.”
The onsets of all seasons also changed. Spring started 1.6 days earlier each decade, and summer started 2.5 days earlier. Autumn was delayed by 1.7 days per decade, and winter was delayed by 0.5 days. The delayed winter was the most prevalent in the Qinghai Tibetan Plateau. The changes in spring, summer and autumn onset were most pronounced in western Eurasia.
“It’s a hot spring so that it essentially becomes summer,” said Amir Sapkota, who studies extreme weather events and human health at University of Maryland and was not involved in the study. “With the earlier and much longer summer, spring gets shorter and shorter, and it starts early, too. Winter suddenly becomes a lot more compressed.”
The team defined the start of summer when temperatures were in the hottest 25 percent during the study period, and summer ended when the temperature fell below that threshold. Winter began when temperatures dipped to the coldest 25 percent of the period. Spring and autumn were the transition periods between the seasons.
Guan said even though his analysis only goes up to 2011, the recent decade is the warmest period on record and the general trend is the same. Other analyses expanded to 2018 and 2019 also showed similar trends in the United States and Australia. In Washington, the average date of its first 90-degree has advanced five days, from May 21 to May 16, over the last century.
Summers are growing longer due to climate change, while winters are dramatically shrinking in the U.S.
The primary driver of these seasonal trends is human-caused warming because of greenhouse gas emissions, Guan’s study showed. The observed changes in seasonal cycles weakened when model simulations were run without the increase of these heat-trapping gases. If emissions do not slow, the seasonal changes will intensify in the coming decades.
The animation shows changes in average start dates and lengths of the four seasons in the Northern Hemisphere mid-latitudes from 1952 to 2011 to 2100. (Wang et al 2020/Geophysical Research Letters/AGU.)
Under the current business-as-usual scenario, projections show summer could last six months by 2100, while winter would be less than two months. Spring and summer will start about one month earlier in 2100 than it did in 2011, and autumn and winter would start a half month later.
But perhaps the most alarming aspect of changing seasonal cycles are the impacts on the environment, animals and human health.

The impacts of a longer summer, shorter winter​

While a longer summer might sound nice for sunbathers, even small seasonal shifts can throw off the balance of our ecosystem from crop production to increased occurrence of mosquito-borne diseases. With the onset of seasons inconsistent recently, predicting and preparing for those environmental changes is difficult.
“When you push ecosystems into a regime that we haven’t seen before, you just end up with a ton more uncertainty in every direction,” said Anna Michalak, a climate scientist at the Carnegie Institution for Science. “That’s much more difficult to deal with from a management standpoint.”

much more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/09/22/longer-northern-hemisphere-summer-climate/

In the 1950s, the seasons occurred in a predictable and relatively even pattern in the Northern Hemisphere. Flowers bloomed around April. Children planned summer adventures starting in June. Leaves dropped in September. Ski trips began in December.
But recently, the seasons have been out of whack. Over the past seven decades, researchers found high summertime temperatures are arriving earlier and lasting longer in the year because of global warming.
This summer was no exception. In parts of California, which saw its hottest summer on record, unusually warm temperatures arrived in May. Shasta Dam posted its third warmest May on record, a harbinger of a record melt season for the glaciers on the summit of Mount Shasta to its north. Sacramento logged its fifth warmest May.
Folsom Lake during a drought in Granite Bay, Calif. on Aug. 27. (David Paul Morris/Bloomberg)
In the Pacific Northwest, a record-breaking heat wave in late June also occurred much earlier than the region is accustomed to. On June 28, Seattle reached 108 degrees and Portland reached 116 degrees.
“The old rule for our area was typically from the Fourth of July on, you could expect some hot weather,” said Michael Brady, an economics professor at Washington State University. “So not only was the level of the temperatures unprecedented, it was also at least a couple of weeks before you would even expect high temperatures.”
Pacific Northwest heat wave was ‘virtually impossible’ without climate change, scientists find
Unusually hot weather also lasted longer than usual in parts of the Lower 48 states as a late-season heat wave scorched the West in the second week of September. Denver hit 99 degrees on Sept. 10, its highest temperature recorded so late in the season. Earlier that week, Death Valley reached 122 degrees, the highest temperature observed so late in the year anywhere on the planet.
As we mark the end of summer and the fall equinox on Wednesday, fall and winter may not offer much reprieve. Research shows summers are expanding while spring, autumn and winter are becoming shorter and warmer with significant impacts for people and the environment.

By late this century, summer could last six months, winter could be less than two​

(Pixabay)
In April 2018, a sizable snowstorm blanketed several towns in New Jersey in what seemed like a freak occurrence. In March 2012, unusually warm temperatures in Michigan caused vegetation to emerge from dormancy early, but then were subsequently destroyed by freezing weather in April.
As more unusual weather reports popped up over the years, researcher Yuping Guan was inspired to examine how seasonal cycles were changing. He and his colleagues analyzed temperature data from 1952-2011 and found the four seasons no longer occur equally and had irregular onsets.
In the Northern Hemisphere mid-latitudes, the length of summer increased from 78 to 95 days — or about 4.2 days per decade from 1952-2011. Winter contracted from 76 to 73 days, or 2.1 days per decade on average. Spring decreased from 124 to 115 days, and autumn shrank from 87 to 82 days; each shrank about one day per decade. All seasons were warmer. The most obvious seasonal length changes occurred around the Mediterranean and the Tibet Plateau.
Without changes to mitigate global warming, summer could last nearly six months, study finds
Guan wrote in an email that it’s difficult for people to feel the effects of a small rise in global temperature over many decades, but that the changing length of seasons is something “everyone can understand.”
The onsets of all seasons also changed. Spring started 1.6 days earlier each decade, and summer started 2.5 days earlier. Autumn was delayed by 1.7 days per decade, and winter was delayed by 0.5 days. The delayed winter was the most prevalent in the Qinghai Tibetan Plateau. The changes in spring, summer and autumn onset were most pronounced in western Eurasia.
“It’s a hot spring so that it essentially becomes summer,” said Amir Sapkota, who studies extreme weather events and human health at University of Maryland and was not involved in the study. “With the earlier and much longer summer, spring gets shorter and shorter, and it starts early, too. Winter suddenly becomes a lot more compressed.”
The team defined the start of summer when temperatures were in the hottest 25 percent during the study period, and summer ended when the temperature fell below that threshold. Winter began when temperatures dipped to the coldest 25 percent of the period. Spring and autumn were the transition periods between the seasons.
Guan said even though his analysis only goes up to 2011, the recent decade is the warmest period on record and the general trend is the same. Other analyses expanded to 2018 and 2019 also showed similar trends in the United States and Australia. In Washington, the average date of its first 90-degree has advanced five days, from May 21 to May 16, over the last century.
Summers are growing longer due to climate change, while winters are dramatically shrinking in the U.S.
The primary driver of these seasonal trends is human-caused warming because of greenhouse gas emissions, Guan’s study showed. The observed changes in seasonal cycles weakened when model simulations were run without the increase of these heat-trapping gases. If emissions do not slow, the seasonal changes will intensify in the coming decades.
The animation shows changes in average start dates and lengths of the four seasons in the Northern Hemisphere mid-latitudes from 1952 to 2011 to 2100. (Wang et al 2020/Geophysical Research Letters/AGU.)
Under the current business-as-usual scenario, projections show summer could last six months by 2100, while winter would be less than two months. Spring and summer will start about one month earlier in 2100 than it did in 2011, and autumn and winter would start a half month later.
But perhaps the most alarming aspect of changing seasonal cycles are the impacts on the environment, animals and human health.

The impacts of a longer summer, shorter winter​

While a longer summer might sound nice for sunbathers, even small seasonal shifts can throw off the balance of our ecosystem from crop production to increased occurrence of mosquito-borne diseases. With the onset of seasons inconsistent recently, predicting and preparing for those environmental changes is difficult.
“When you push ecosystems into a regime that we haven’t seen before, you just end up with a ton more uncertainty in every direction,” said Anna Michalak, a climate scientist at the Carnegie Institution for Science. “That’s much more difficult to deal with from a management standpoint.”

much more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/09/22/longer-northern-hemisphere-summer-climate/
Does this mean we can extend the baseball season to 180+ games now? tic

The US isn't feeling the worst of it, yet. I could throw this in the Chuck Grassley vs. Abby Finkenauer thread, or a few other threads including any thread about the border. Young people are getting this, and part of the push at our border with Mexico is fueled by the more destructive effects of climate change that lower latitudes are experiencing.

The US isn't feeling the worst of it, yet. I could throw this in the Chuck Grassley vs. Abby Finkenauer thread, or a few other threads including any thread about the border. Young people are getting this, and part of the push at our border with Mexico is fueled by the more destructive effects of climate change that lower latitudes are experiencing.
I love how one can create a political narrative to fit their beliefs with no sourcing or proof whatsoever.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I'm getting my underwater Miami theme park ready. Between climate change and the imminent land slide in Las Palmas due to the Cumbre Vieja volcano, Florida should resemble a giant underwater theme park.

Did you know food is spicier as you get closer to the equator? Turns our spicy foods actually cool you down.

So we have that to look forward to.

I remember last winter when it got -30 or worse 8 times. -47 was on one day. Crazy cold.

I love how one can create a political narrative to fit their beliefs with no sourcing or proof whatsoever.
Lol. Anybody who has done any real reading whatsoever about the effects of climate change, both current and anticipated, understands that increased human migration is one of the easiest to both predict as well as link to environmental factors related to climate change.

It's not the poster to whom you responded who has an issue with trying to frame everything to their "beliefs". It's you. You did that.

Human migration linked to climate change isn't a belief. It just is. Climate change isn't a belief. It just is.

To me, in eastern Iowa for about a decade now, spring and fall have been getting squeezed. Both seem to last maybe 6-8 weeks tops. Then the other seasons are simply longer.

Fall starts later, spring ends earlier. Winter seems like it begins earlier temps wise but the major snows are roughly January to mid February only - and we seem to get an early November series of snows every year now where it used to be late November or early December. Summer temps (hot, not warm) seem to have these bursts (such as what is forecasted for next week) well into early fall.

Spring seems like the thaw takes longer to arrive, but the changeover to summer temps arrives earlier.

Then when it comes to precipitation, we don't seem to be getting a normal "steady regular coverage" year to year like we used to. What areas that do get precip get hit harder and repeatedly...and the surrounding areas get next to nothing by comparison. Like the garden hose used to have a sprinkler on it, but now it's just a hose end that moves around year to year.

My friend and I call our weather "the new normal". I mean, sure - in my youth we had droughts and wet years, hot years and cold years...but it also seemed like there were more "average years".

What is it that you believe they are reaping? It isn't like they replaced the nuclear power with coal fired plants.
He hates conservative farmers. That's who will be suffering the most in CA as things get worse.

So.....there's a thing called fire. It burns things into ash, and in some cases, essentially nothing. It can be used for many things, including waste disposal.

I would highly recommend this as an option for removing the excess amounts of trash that all these places can't seem to come up with their own method of removal for.

Hell, you can even make it fun, and purchase some flamethrowers and throw a bunch of masks in a pit and set that sh** on fire.

Outside the box thinking.....

So.....there's a thing called fire. It burns things into ash, and in some cases, essentially nothing. It can be used for many things, including waste disposal.

I would highly recommend this as an option for removing the excess amounts of trash that all these places can't seem to come up with their own method of removal for.

Hell, you can even make it fun, and purchase some flamethrowers and throw a bunch of masks in a pit and set that sh** on fire.

Outside the box thinking.....
Throw enough tires on the pile and you could be on to something.

Wife and I will be moving some place further north once the last kid moves to college. Just too damned hot.
I live in Kansas City and the summers absolutely suck. I cannot imagine moving further south.

I received a text from my sister (no pic) with a picture from her boyfriend's farm. His lilac bushes just bloomed again this weekend. Can't say that I've seen that before.

Bring on global warming! I won't be happy until Iowa has beach front property. All of you climate change alarmists/leftists keep it up, you won't be happy until the economy is destroyed. I love it, you have guaranteed that commonsense conservatives will be elected for generations. Not a denier, just realistic in that the cure is worse than the disease.

• Haha
Reactions: IAHawk2011
Bring on global warming! I won't be happy until Iowa has beach front property. All of you climate change alarmists/leftists keep it up, you won't be happy until the economy is destroyed. I love it, you have guaranteed that commonsense conservatives will be elected for generations. Not a denier, just realistic in that the cure is worse than the disease.
Lol.

Without the cure. The disease will kill life on the planet.

Reactions: lucas80
Without the cure. The disease will kill life on the planet.
There’s also quite a bit of good economic stuff to the “cure”, too. Like stuff that normal, pragmatic-brained “conservatives” should be excited about. It’s wild to me that people think this current economic model is sustainable, climate change issues notwithstanding.

Yeah, well until the worst polluter; China comes on board you are just pissing in the wind. And the earth has repaired itself many times over, keep wringing your hands.
And this ignorant self centered attitude is why life on earth is likely doomed.

It amazes me that the left is completely ignorant when it comes to the effects that things like electric cars have on the environment. Lithium mining, battery disposal are all worse than petroleum production. Same for the manufacturing of wind turbines. On the same note, irradiation of our food supply is safe, and would end most food borne illness, saving millions of lives, but the left has fought it. The left only embraces false science when it has a chance of damaging capitalism and America.

• Haha
Reactions: peacehawk
And this ignorant self centered attitude is why life on earth is likely doomed.
If it is doomed it is because of leftist idiots like yourself that are bent on destroying any quality of life for the rest of us. Who is selfish? Keep spouting what the global elitists want you to think. God forbid you think for yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT