ADVERTISEMENT

Exasperation and dysfunction: Inside Kamala Harris' frustrating start as vice president

OrlandNole

HR Heisman
Nov 29, 2003
Nashvegas
Man, I'm really nervous about the 2024 election.

(CNN)Worn out by what they see as entrenched dysfunction and lack of focus, key West Wing aides have largely thrown up their hands at Vice President Kamala Harris and her staff -- deciding there simply isn't time to deal with them right now, especially at a moment when President Joe Biden faces quickly multiplying legislative and political concerns.
The exasperation runs both ways. Interviews with nearly three dozen former and current Harris aides, administration officials, Democratic operatives, donors and outside advisers -- who spoke extensively to CNN -- reveal a complex reality inside the White House. Many in the vice president's circle fume that she's not being adequately prepared or positioned, and instead is being sidelined. The vice president herself has told several confidants she feels constrained in what she's able to do politically. And those around her remain wary of even hinting at future political ambitions, with Biden's team highly attuned to signs of disloyalty, particularly from the vice president.
She's a heartbeat away from the presidency now. She could be just a year away from launching a presidential campaign of her own, given doubts throughout the political world that Biden will actually go through with a reelection bid in 2024, something he's pledged to do publicly and privately. Or she'll be a critical validator in three years for a President trying to get the country to reelect him to serve until he's 86.
Few of the insiders who spoke with CNN think she's being well-prepared for whichever role it will be. Harris is struggling with a rocky relationship with some parts of the White House, while long-time supporters feel abandoned and see no coherent public sense of what she's done or been trying to do as vice president. Being the first woman, and first woman of color, in national elected office is historic but has also come with outsized scrutiny and no forgiveness for even small errors, as she'll often point out.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/14/politics/kamala-harris-frustrating-start-vice-president/index.html

It's traditional for the VP to be out of the spotlight but I can't recall others being so invisible. Too early to tell if this is good or bad for the Biden administration IMHO.

Imagine if she didn't act like a 5 year old when it came to the border. Before she was in office she had no problem going down there for a fake cry with binoculars. What if she took that assignment head on and did the work. She was handed an opportunity to help solve one of our nation's biggest issues and she punted. Why on earth would anyone want that kind of person in a serious leadership role?

After basically insinuating Joe was a racist during the primaries.....there was always going to be friction between the staff's....

I'm shocked he put her on the ticket after that.

If she had not done that then it wouldn't have been shocking at all, but after that you think he would have gone with someone else.

Governor of NM, Tammy Duckworth. . .

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I think powerful forces within the Dem party do not want her to be the nominee in 2024. She's being kneecapped.
I remember when Tulsi Gabbard basically ended Harris’ presidential bid at the debate:

Senator Harris says she's proud of her record as a prosecutor and that she'll be a prosecutor president.

"But I'm deeply concerned about this record. There are too many examples to cite but she put over 1,500 people in jail for marijuana violations and then laughed about it when she was asked if she ever smoked marijuana.

"She blocked evidence -- she blocked evidence that would have freed an innocent man from death row until the courts forced her to do so. She kept people in prison beyond their sentences to use them as cheap labor for the state of California."

Reactions: goldmom
After basically insinuating Joe was a racist during the primaries.....there was always going to be friction between the staff's....
Facts.

What halfway-functional team has anyone ever been a part of that consists of leaders who accuse each other of being racist pigs?

I find it hilarious that anybody has held any faith in this administration from the very beginning.

Reactions: goldmom and abby97
I remember when Tulsi Gabbard basically ended Harris’ presidential bid at the debate:

Senator Harris says she's proud of her record as a prosecutor and that she'll be a prosecutor president.

"But I'm deeply concerned about this record. There are too many examples to cite but she put over 1,500 people in jail for marijuana violations and then laughed about it when she was asked if she ever smoked marijuana.

"She blocked evidence -- she blocked evidence that would have freed an innocent man from death row until the courts forced her to do so. She kept people in prison beyond their sentences to use them as cheap labor for the state of California."

I felt like Tulsi was basically applying to Biden for the VP role with that. I mean Harris comes out and attacks Biden hard, implies he's a racist and the very next debate Tulsi is all over Harris.

I felt like Tulsi was basically applying to Biden for the VP role with that. I mean Harris comes out and attacks Biden hard, implies he's a racist and the very next debate Tulsi is all over Harris.
I took it as cold political calculation to get the other women of color off the stage and maybe poach that portion of the primary electorate.
I think it did make Harris unelectable in the Democratic primary after it landed.
Not the champion they were looking for, but she checks a lot of boxes for the establishment, so here she is.

She has been MIA for sure. But I feel like she is also a big girl, a polished politician, and should have no problem getting herself out there to the public as the freakin Vice President of the US. The fact she has not and seems a bit awkward and aloof when she is in the public / media appearances to me suggests a lot of it is on her. She likely may have enjoyed the moment and fame a bit too much or perhaps has lost her motivation to seek being any higher.

Reactions: goldmom
I took it as cold political calculation to get the other women of color off the stage and maybe poach that portion of the primary electorate.
I think it did make Harris unelectable in the Democratic primary after it landed.
Not the champion they were looking for, but she checks a lot of boxes for the establishment, so here she is.

Maybe it was that. . . To me it felt like Tulsi was too far behind to think that she was suddenly going to get boosted towards the top with that. So instead it felt like she was sending an implicit message to Biden that she's willing to be his hatchet woman. (VP Candidates have traditionally launched attacks that the presidential candidates like to steer away from so as to maintain an image of being above it all.)

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
This article is trash. It starts from a position that the Vice President is supposed to be some transformational figure, particularly this one.

Vice presidents serve many different roles depending on the president, but in no case has it been a significant responsibility of the president to specifically groom their vice president to be the future figurehead of the party. For a guy with as many challenges as Biden faces, not doing enough to boost Harris is not something he should be concerned with, and it's not something the country is concerned with.

That said...it's not really Harris' fault. I do think she's the constant subject of stupid "hit pieces", and that's pretty par for the course for vice presidents for some reason, of course amplified in the social media age. But the Biden administration is chaos and dysfunction on all fronts pretty much, I don't think it's either Harris' fault, nor significant of any particular ill will from Biden's team, that coordination between the two offices is crappy.

But I don't know what she is supposed to do here. She was a questionable choice who brings nothing to the table for this administration. She's not popular, she didn't impress in the primary, even in her own state, and was never remotely a contender for the nomination. This idea that she is some how the future of the party is baseless, and that's an absurd responsibility to put on Biden or her. What "role" does Harris' experience and appeal prepare her especially for?

I will never understand the choice. Biden didn't need her to shore up California or the minority vote. She didn't generate any enthusiasm. She didn't bring any beltway experience that Biden needed, the way Biden did for Obama.

This article is trash. It starts from a position that the Vice President is supposed to be some transformational figure, particularly this one.

Vice presidents serve many different roles depending on the president, but in no case has it been a significant responsibility of the president to specifically groom their vice president to be the future figurehead of the party. For a guy with as many challenges as Biden faces, not doing enough to boost Harris is not something he should be concerned with, and it's not something the country is concerned with.

That said...it's not really Harris' fault. I do think she's the constant subject of stupid "hit pieces", and that's pretty par for the course for vice presidents for some reason, of course amplified in the social media age. But the Biden administration is chaos and dysfunction on all fronts pretty much, I don't think it's either Harris' fault, nor significant of any particular ill will from Biden's team, that coordination between the two offices is crappy.

But I don't know what she is supposed to do here. She was a questionable choice who brings nothing to the table for this administration. She's not popular, she didn't impress in the primary, even in her own state, and was never remotely a contender for the nomination. This idea that she is some how the future of the party is baseless, and that's an absurd responsibility to put on Biden or her. What "role" does Harris' experience and appeal prepare her especially for?

I will never understand the choice. Biden didn't need her to shore up California or the minority vote. She didn't generate any enthusiasm. She didn't bring any beltway experience that Biden needed, the way Biden did for Obama.
Joe ultimately did it because he was friends with her I think.

Joe ultimately did it because he was friends with her I think.
His son Beau and Harris were close. Harris fit what he needed at the time. A woman of color from a state whose governor would choose a Democrat to replace her in the senate.

That replacement just happens to be named Alex Padilla!

I'm shocked he put her on the ticket after that.

If she had not done that then it wouldn't have been shocking at all, but after that you think he would have gone with someone else.

Governor of NM, Tammy Duckworth. . .
Thats some funny sh.. you KNOW why she was put on the ticket!!

The Innocence Project has some very damning stories about Harris.

she isn’t electable in a general election for President.

I think a lot of people view Harris as a successor more than a normal VP.

IMO however Harris is a terrible candidate.
If not for Joes age I don’t think this would be a question as far as successor. And I agree, she wouldn’t be top of my list either.

I think Harris would be a good AG personally, but just doesn’t seem like one of those people that is likeable on camera.

and yeah, Harris has a lot of stuff that prevents her from being a better candidate, but it does feel like she’s catching crap for stuff that you didn’t see other VPs catch flack for.

I think “ a lot of people” need to get a grip. I too believe there are many better candidates for POTUS than Harris.

Well, she was the front runner early on in the primaries and then when they got to Iowa……nope.

If not for Joes age I don’t think this would be a question as far as successor. And I agree, she wouldn’t be top of my list either.

I think Harris would be a good AG personally, but just doesn’t seem like one of those people that is likeable on camera.

and yeah, Harris has a lot of stuff that prevents her from being a better candidate, but it does feel like she’s catching crap for stuff that you didn’t see other VPs catch flack for.

She catches a lot of stupid crap, which personally, I don't think the administration has to justify. That stuff is bouncing around facebook and what not, but Biden's team doesn't have to address the children's book or hired actors for a NASA video. I don't particularly think it's worse, other than the social media age. I remember a news cycle dominated by the fact that Mike Pence calls his wife "mother", etc.

Funny thing is, in another Democratic environment, she'd have a great candidate profile as a moderate, sensible Democrat with an acceptably firm position on law and order. Look at the Democrat that just won NYC mayor, she'd slot in just like that. You can see why she's had powerful forces and money behind her for a while.

But that's just not the zeitgeist for Democrats right now, where she now has basically has to bury her time as a prosecutor, and has a complicated time running on her accomplishments at the same time kneeling at the altar of the "system" being thoroughly racist. Strictly as a profile, she's a dream Democratic candidate 15 years ago. They've been trying to make Kamala Harris happen for years now, but the party has moved on, and she's not charismatic or likeable enough to overcome it.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT