ADVERTISEMENT

Family SUV

I would guess fully half of the parents at our school drive Highlanders.

I've been searching for a 3 row vehicle also. Top choices at this time are a Telluride and a Palisade, but I just can't make myself pay over MSRP.
I really like both. Also really like the Mazda CX-9.
I didn't like a Pilot or Pathfinder feel when driving. Don't want the paint issues with an Explorer. Volvo is reported to have reliability issues.
I'm being pretty selective and want a good deal. I'm willing to wait a bit to get the good deal.

What do you drive?
I’ve got a Nissan Titan Pro-4x. Picked it over a Tacoma because I’m tall and the Tacoma lacks headroom. Picked it over the Tundra because I could get leather, skid plates, heated/cooled seats, overhead camera, Fosgate sound and a push button locking rear diff with Bilstein suspension for 10k less off the lot than the highest equipped Tundra, which if I recall didn’t offer any of those options in 2017. I’ve driven it 90k without any issues.

Bought a Telluride as a family car last year. Test drove a Highlander. The tech, ride quality and space of the Telluride blew the Highlander out of the water. Did not test a Pilot because they’re ugly.

If I was aiming for the highest probability of putting 300k+ on my vehicles, I might have gone Toyota. I chose the vehicles I liked the best and they each had features superior to what Toyota offered.

I've been searching for a 3 row vehicle also. Top choices at this time are a Telluride and a Palisade, but I just can't make myself pay over MSRP.
I really like both. Also really like the Mazda CX-9.
I didn't like a Pilot or Pathfinder feel when driving. Don't want the paint issues with an Explorer. Volvo is reported to have reliability issues.
I'm being pretty selective and want a good deal. I'm willing to wait a bit to get the good deal.
If you’re willing to wait, you can get a telluride at msrp if you order it. Call around to different dealers. Some will tell you they can’t do it, which is a lie. There are some that will.

Reactions: CaboKP
Solid car for the price. Has all of the technology you need, plus a third row. Seat/steering wheel heat, also air for the seat in the summer. Decent gas mileage. Acceptable in the snow. Plenty of power as needed. From your description above, seems to fit the bill.

This is the one that keeps popping up. I am going to absolutely check it out.

Toyota Highlander

I saw this one and put it in consideration, what is great about it?

I bought a 2020 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum today. In my search, it seemed you could get a lot more "bang for the buck" when it came to having all the bells and whistles than most other makes of similar size.
I will consider this as well. My car that is about dead is a Nissan Altima that has over 225k miles. Other than routine maintenence, my only problem is my electric windows on the drivers side. I love Nissan.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Long
I saw this and am intrigued. Everyone had one when I was in hs/college in the early 2000s. I really like the look of the new ones.

So, there's Honda and Acura. Toyota and Lexus. If you buy outside of those brands, you failed.
I don't think so. I think there's a lot of good brands out there. Acura is one I don't know a ton about.

If he’s looking for luxury or semi-luxury then that eliminates the Pilot which is low on power and a plastic geo metro SUV. The Highlander is a step up, but you’ll pay more for its bells and whistles than you would going straight luxury. Plus Toyota’s infotainment center is about a decade or two behind everyone else’s.
I'm not looking for a lot of luxury but I agree with you on the Pilot.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
I’ve got a Nissan Titan Pro-4x. Picked it over a Tacoma because I’m tall and the Tacoma lacks headroom. Picked it over the Tundra because I could get leather, skid plates, heated/cooled seats, overhead camera, Fosgate sound and a push button locking rear diff with Bilstein suspension for 10k less off the lot than the highest equipped Tundra, which if I recall didn’t offer any of those options in 2017. I’ve driven it 90k without any issues.

Bought a Telluride as a family car last year. Test drove a Highlander. The tech, ride quality and space of the Telluride blew the Highlander out of the water. Did not test a Pilot because they’re ugly.

If I was aiming for the highest probability of putting 300k+ on my vehicles, I might have gone Toyota. I chose the vehicles I liked the best and they each had features superior to what Toyota offered.

Understood. Did you consider resale?

Understood. Did you consider resale?
Not really. On paper the Toyota resale is going to be higher, no doubt. But there is an upfront premium baked into new Toyota vehicles based on perceived reliability. Also Toyota warranties run 3yr/36k. I got 5yr/60k on the Titan and 5yr/60k + 10yr/100k powertrain on the KIA. If at some point I decided to sell it before the warranty is up, I’ve got a much longer window to give a potential buyer added peace of mind with the longer warranties.

I don’t want to sound like I’m knocking Toyota or Honda. They both make excellent vehicles and I appreciate their “get it right and keep it simple + if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” methods of engineering and manufacturing.

Last edited:
We were against minivans until we had #4. It’s not a death sentence, it’s practical and convenient for a family. Wife loves and does not want anything else. We have the Odyssey. The new Kia minivans are are pretty sweet (as far as minivans are concerned).

What is your other vehicle? Asking for someone on the horizon of four and a couple who now each need larger vehicles. I’ve had a number of rental minivans this year to sell me but two for a family of six is difficult.

Not really. On paper the Toyota resale is going to be higher, no doubt. But there is an upfront premium baked into new Toyota vehicles based on perceived reliability. Also Toyota warranties run 3yr/36k. I got 5yr/60k on the Titan and 5yr/60k + 10yr/100k powertrain on the KIA. If at some point I decided to sell it before the warranty is up, I’ve got a much longer window to give a potential buyer added peace of mind with the longer warranties.

I don’t want to sound like I’m knocking Toyota or Honda. They both make excellent vehicles and I appreciate their “get it right and keep it simple + if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” methods of engineering and manufacturing.
It's not "Perceived"

Solid car for the price. Has all of the technology you need, plus a third row. Seat/steering wheel heat, also air for the seat in the summer. Decent gas mileage. Acceptable in the snow. Plenty of power as needed. From your description above, seems to fit the bill.
I wonder if they are still charging a premium over MSRP? Before buying my current ride out of its lease, I nosed around several SUVs including the telluride. It drove OK but not as well as what I had been driving. Then, there was a long wait with a premium over sticker that I refused to do.

It was 2016 And I was surprised they stuck w the third generation for seven years.

But I stand corrected as they just updated the Pilot and it looks like a Toyota 4-Runner now. Much better.
That looks a lot better and they finally put a center console/armrest back, the lack of which was a deal killer for me.

The latest Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV would be on my list of vehicles to test drive.

They sell a ton of these in Europe. Proven, just less considered in US, and their recent model design looks great.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I’ve been real happy with my Ford Explorers. Traded my 2015 one in with 160k that literally had zero repair issues for new one in September. Very good driving vehicle and decent cargo space / third row in mid size package.

I’ve been real happy with my Ford Explorers. Traded my 2015 one in with 160k that literally had zero repair issues for new one in September. Very good driving vehicle and decent cargo space / third row in mid size package.

The Explorer ST may be one of the sexiest SUVs on the road. Third row and fast.

Reactions: noleclone2
I wonder if they are still charging a premium over MSRP? Before buying my current ride out of its lease, I nosed around several SUVs including the telluride. It drove OK but not as well as what I had been driving. Then, there was a long wait with a premium over sticker that I refused to do.
Earlier this year I had to pay over MSRP to get mine asap. Wasn't a huge premium so I took the hit (while wincing a bit).

Reactions: Tenacious E
We casually looked at this range and the next range up. The Volvo XC90 had a second row with captain’s chairs that made access to the third row very easy. Probably more than you want to spend though.

We found out there’s a new 3-row Mazda coming out soon called the CX-90. Looks pretty nice from the pics. Looks like it’ll start in low 40s.

Mazda-CX-90-rendering.jpg
I love the looks of Mazda vehicles, but we bought my wife a Millenia back in the day and had a fair number of issues with it. Has their quality improved.

Thread/

Currently have one. Traded Tahoe in for it last year. Rides so much better, has more low end power, and is a dream on snow/ice.
Good luck with your Fiat. I'd check consumer reports before I listened to ant Ford, Chevy or Fiat Chrysler suggestions, OP. Your mechanic will probably love those choices though

I love the looks of Mazda vehicles, but we bought my wife a Millenia back in the day and had a fair number of issues with it. Has their quality improved.
They haven't made the millenia in 20 years and now Toyota owns part of the company instead of Ford. It's overall reliability is considered right behind Toyota and Honda from the CR info I have read. I'd say yes

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
They haven't made the millenia in 20 years and now Toyota owns part of the company instead of Ford. It's overall reliability is considered right behind Toyota and Honda from the CR info I have read. I'd say yes
And IMO the interiors are much nicer than Honda or Toyota.

They designed the Millenia thinking it would be a flagship vehicle to compete w the ES 300 for their Luxury brand that never launched. Had a short life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT