ADVERTISEMENT

Fans from rival fan bases trying to tear down Caitlin

Basically, from perusing social media, it's a bunch of Nebraska, ISU, LSU, South Carolina fans, and black people (particularly black women) that are driving the social media hate train for Caitlin Clark, with the occasional Paige Beuckers Super Fans sprinkled in.

Rather than get upset by their trolling, I'll just have fun at their expense instead. :cool:

I will say though, that as far as Caitlin losing fans, this was always gonna be the concern. You can't ever let them see you at your worst, even if keeping your head down and playing on with a smile on your face becomes harder and harder every day.

The more exposure she got, the harder it was gonna be to keep non-Iowa fans from finding any little thing to attack her about. She hasn't done herself many favors this year, in particular, compared to her previous 3 years at Iowa, but as I said above, most of the trolling and hatred and detractions come from people with their own agendas, whether it's Angel Reese/LSU fans, or salty Nebraska fans, or angry black women who were jealous that Clark stole the thunder of a sport that had been dominated by black women, and technically really still is when you account the majority of elite players in the sport........

What Caitlin needs to understand, hopefully before her time in Iowa City is done, and I would say this to her face if I could............the thing about playing with a chip on your shoulder, is that at some point you have to learn to live with that chip. If you keep leaning on that chip, and you lean too much, that chip becomes a crack, and it gets bigger and bigger, and suddenly that foundation that you've established for yourself, your motivation for how you play, (the way you play, i.e. with a chip on your shoulder) becomes your own weakness.

That's a lesson she needs to learn before she unwittingly becomes the villain of her own story by the end of her playing career, regardless of how good she is.

Last edited:
Some of us are unbelievable. Not one of us at 22 years old would be any better, probably much much worse. I know I would be. Every opponent she plays wants a piece of her. She gets bumped, pushed, grabbed, raked, bodied all the time. So she throws her hands up in the arm and barks at the refs. She’s usually right. And once the game is over she’s always gracious and never takes anyone to task, unlike us. Stop the tsk, tsking about the .5% of the time she’s not comporting with your standards.

Enjoy her presence in an Iowa uniform, at most it will only last 4 more games.

Opposing fans? She gets ripped on here for the way she acts all the time.
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Reactions: GOHOX69
Basically, from perusing social media, it's a bunch of Nebraska, ISU, LSU, South Carolina fans, and black people (particularly black women) that are driving the social media hate train for Caitlin Clark, with the occasional Paige Beuckers Super Fans sprinkled in.

Rather than get upset by their trolling, I'll just have fun at their expense instead. :cool:

I will say though, that as far as Caitlin losing fans, this was always gonna be the concern. You can't ever let them see you at your worst, even if keeping your head down and playing on with a smile on your face becomes harder and harder every day.

The more exposure she got, the harder it was gonna be to keep non-Iowa fans from finding any little thing to attack her about. She hasn't done herself many favors this year, in particular, compared to her previous 3 years at Iowa, but as I said above, most of the trolling and hatred and detractions come from people with their own agendas, whether it's Angel Reese/LSU fans, or salty Nebraska fans, or angry black women who were jealous that Clark stole the thunder of a sport that had been dominated by black women, and technically really still is when you account the majority of elite players in the sport........

What Caitlin needs to understand, hopefully before her time in Iowa City is done, and I would say this to her face if I could............the thing about playing with a chip on your shoulder, is that at some point you have to learn to live with that chip. If you keep leaning on that chip, and you lean too much, that chip becomes a crack, and it gets bigger and bigger, and suddenly that foundation that you've established for yourself (the way you play, i.e. with a chip on your shoulder) becomes your own weakness.

That's a lesson she needs to learn before she unwittingly becomes the villain of her own story by the end of her playing career, regardless of how good she is.
Good post EMITC.

Every college kid goes through transition(s). Not every college kid does it with heavy pressure and intense scrutiny. This is a rough stage. She will get through it OK because she appears to have ample support structures.

I think she's talented but I can also see her arrogance get checked. Otherwise, I have zero interest.
Every pro rookie gets checked to some extent, everyone understands that CC will get extra tested. Maravich was “initiated” his rookie season, it comes with the “GOAT” territory.

However, there is no reason to believe that she can’t handle it and, importantly, that she won’t earn the support of her teammates, the franchise, and the fans who will have her back.

Every pro rookie gets checked to some extent, everyone understands that CC will get extra tested. Maravich was “initiated” his rookie season, it comes with the “GOAT” territory.

However, there is no reason to believe that she can’t handle it and, importantly, that she won’t earn the support of her teammates, the franchise, and the fans who will have her back.
Time will tell. Within a year.

You're right! I shouldn't have said "I know" that to be the case. The incident happened right after she scored and was celebrating and gesturing. Looked like she said "f*** ____ " with the second word being perhaps "yeah." I think it was an "and-one" so not an officiating omission. Paired with her Dad's reaction ... it sure seems like she released an f-bomb as casually as a logo-3.
Cameron Brink said F you to a ref when she fouled out. So it's not Like Caitlin is the only one that says Fvck.

This whole discussion about Caitlin is a big sh!tburger IMO.
People just want to have something to bitch about. It's what society has been reduced to.
Most of this bullsh!t is just jealousy at it's finest.
I have no issues with Caitlin's behavior. It's part of what makes her great. Fiery, competitive and emotional is part of who she is.

You don't think she is setting a good example for all the kids who wave the Caitlin signs and stand in line to get autographs?
It's not black and white. She spends an insane amount of time signing autographs when she probably just wants to get into the locker room. That doesn't mean that bitching at every call or non-call is a good thing. Nobody is perfect, you're going to have moments where you lose your cool but doing it all the time is what gives her the bad look, IMO.

It's not black and white. She spends an insane amount of time signing autographs when she probably just wants to get into the locker room. That doesn't mean that bitching at every call or non-call is a good thing. Nobody is perfect, you're going to have moments where you lose your cool but doing it all the time is what gives her the bad look, IMO.
Every basketball player is going to complain about fouls called and no fouls called when there should be one. It's not like she's the only one that does it. I realize that she has more of the spotlight on her but everyone does it.

Yeah MJ was a perfect angel when interacting with the refs. And he never, ever got on his teammates during games. Lol.

I'm not a fan of the complaining and some of the other on-court stuff she does. I'm not a fan when anyone does it. But IMO it's a competitor, it's a heat of the moment thing, and it's a minor aspect that's way overshadowed by all the positives she brings.

The hate is driven by 1) jealousy, all those other fanbases would kill to have CC on their team; and 2) a clear double standard on how female athletes are "expected" to carry themselves vs. male athletes. When men do it, it's ok because it's just a sign of their competitive fire coming out. When women do it, it's not appropriate and the sign of someone who shouldn't be a role model for young girls.

Total BS.

I just did a little bit of reading on generation z. I really need to do more research but part of it said they are very impatient, they want everything right now. And they feel like they've got to fight and compete to get everything right now. That kind of describes Caitlin Clark.

Yeah MJ was a perfect angel when interacting with the refs. And he never, ever got on his teammates during games. Lol.

I'm not a fan of the complaining and some of the other on-court stuff she does. I'm not a fan when anyone does it. But IMO it's a competitor, it's a heat of the moment thing, and it's a minor aspect that's way overshadowed by all the positives she brings.

The hate is driven by 1) jealousy, all those other fanbases would kill to have CC on their team; and 2) a clear double standard on how female athletes are "expected" to carry themselves vs. male athletes. When men do it, it's ok because it's just a sign of their competitive fire coming out. When women do it, it's not appropriate and the sign of someone who shouldn't be a role model for young girls.

Total BS.
It's actually 100% race. Similarly, if CC was black and that good and a hawkeye, chances are most of you would be tepid in your love of that version of CC. It's all good. Race begets race. You know, I know it, Bob Dole knows it.

She's under enormous pressure to not only win, but win in a way that lives up to inflated expectation that has been thrust upon her. Win it all at Iowa? People calling her a GOAT? Try to live up to that standard when you are 22, and still just in college. Most people in that kind of conversation have the latitude of years building up to it.

She should be allowed the grace to make mistakes, find her way, and grow into these shoes that people are already naming.

If by some miracle she takes this team to a F4 two years in a row it would be astonishing, and I don't think people will properly acknowledge that at the magnitude it would deserve. Even winning this next one would be pretty crazy.

And when their season is ever over, there will be a huge weight off her, one I can't even imagine. I don't think that weight will carry over with her to the WNBA. Not at the same level. We'll see.
I agree with you, and think if fans go back and look at the last 5 or 6 games she's been particularly targeted for forceful contact.

Apposing teams have upped the anti, with pushing, shoving, hands on holding, etc., thus making her have to react, because the officials won't make the calls.
Actually, she is fouled on almost all her possessions where she's driving towards the basket....I applaud her for being as under control as she is for the way she is being hammered!

Also, I think she's well aware of what she's doing on the court....using an indirect way to get the officials to pay attention to the calls they're making, especially to the ones they AREN'T calling without her getting "T'ed" up.

The plan has to work, IMO if she/we want to keep winning as the competition gets more intense.

So, would you rather she cuss sometimes to get the hard knocks and intensity out of her system like most people do, or keep it all in and be drained by the end of three quarters because of the beating she's taking.

I would choose the expletives over the drain every time!

I just did a little bit of reading on generation z. I really need to do more research but part of it said they are very impatient, they want everything right now. And they feel like they've got to fight and compete to get everything right now. That kind of describes Caitlin Clark.

Well she does have to fight and compete right now because now is when the games are being played.

So what you're saying is Caitlin Clark > ottumwan in tx?

How humble of you. :)

The best way to beat Iowa is to play Izzo/Ryan ball. Push, hold, bump multiple times on every possession. The refs will miss some and get tired of calling the rest. When this happens, Iowa's second-string players need to play the same way on the opponents' guards and probably pick up a couple fouls. Force the officials to establish that they need to call fouls when it happens. Good officials will make those calls early and often, and the players are forced to adjust and play basketball rather than brawling.

Go back to the OT board where you can constantly post conspiracy theories. This board is for bball fans, which you are not.

Reactions: Sexican
Go back to the OT board where you can constantly post conspiracy theories. This board is for bball fans, which you are not.
I can guarantee 100% there are going to be massive amounts of conspiracy theories if the hawks go all the way. it's rigged!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT