ADVERTISEMENT

Fant

GunnerHawk

HB All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Great athlete who Iowa is recruiting as a TE.

Does he end up at his home state school or go out of state?

Hope the Hawks can get his commitment.

We have three starting defensive linemen that all wanted to go to Nebraska, let's hope Fant sees the writing on the wall!! (Walk on offers only).

Tomorrow we'll find out where he's going. Would be an athletic TE for the Hawks.

Looking good for the Hawks - rumors of a secret weekend visit to IC this past weekend. 247 CB's all to Iowa yesterday

Great! now they just have to keep him. Sounds like he said he is keeping an open mind if other schools offer. Really great pick up though.

Have a friend who' s daughter goes to school with him and says he is a great kid and my friend says he is one of the best athletes he has seen in the Omaha area in years.

Reactions: icu81222
I would NOT (edited to say NOT) say wishy washy. He seems pretty solid but he basically said he would entertain other offers. I'd rather he was honest like this

Last edited:
Reactions: ichawk24
After reading his comments. They really aren't bad. Basically said he would research new offers then at the end of his senior season he would revisit his decision. But the fact that he picked Iowa over Nebraska, Cal and UCLA is a good sign. If Iowa has a good season and continues to recruit him like they have been, I think he sticks with his commitment.

After reading his comments. They really aren't bad. Basically said he would research new offers then at the end of his senior season he would revisit his decision. But the fact that he picked Iowa over Nebraska, Cal and UCLA is a good sign. If Iowa has a good season and continues to recruit him like they have been, I think he sticks with his commitment.

Iowa lands big recruiting prize from Omaha
Chad Leistikow, cleistik@dmreg.com8:37 a.m. CDT August 28, 2015
635763507345178132-hawkeyesX2.jpg

(Photo: The Register)

Nebraskan Noah Fant became Iowa’s 23rd – and one of its most heralded – Class of 2016 football recruits when he announced his college decision Friday morning during a radio show in his native Omaha.

The Omaha South High School senior stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 210 pounds and projects as a tight end at the Division I level. His other finalists were Nebraska, UCLA, Vanderbilt and California. He was also offered by Iowa State, but the Cyclones didn’t make the final five.

Fant is a terrific student and wants to study sports medicine with an eye on becoming an orthopedic surgeon. That, plus playing within driving distance of home and at one of Iowa’s most iconic positions, made Iowa City the best fit.

He told AM 1620 The Zone on Friday that he liked “the way (the Hawkeyes) pump out tight ends” to the NFL.

“The fact that they pass to the tight ends a lot was a really big factor,” Fant said.

He said ideally he’ll gain 20 to 30 pounds, which would put him in the range of a 6-5, 240 tight end.

“That’s where I think I’ll flourish the most in college,” he said.

Fant is classified as a three-star prospect by Rivals.com, but he comes with one of the best offer lists of any Hawkeye commitment. Before Fant’s decision, Iowa’s class ranked 24th nationally according to Rivals. Chariton’s T.J. Hockenson (6-5, 230) is the only other tight end committed to the Hawkeyes for 2016. Iowa is expected to sign around 25 players in this class.

Interesting that the top two kids in Nebraska decided to go elsewhere. One was even from Lincoln

Sounds like he wants to play offense and the other schools wanted him at DE. Nice to get a kid that had some options and win one over a couple big boy schools, need a couple more of those to close out the class.

Interesting that the top two kids in Nebraska decided to go elsewhere. One was even from Lincoln

The new Nebraska staff and Buback weren't a match. Buback (a TE) stated that he doesn't like to block and that wants to go someplace where he doesn't have to. The old staff was ok with that, the new staff has their TEs block. So it wasn't going to work. Which is a bummer, because Riley seems to use TEs a lot (and the old staff over looked TEs more than any offense I have ever seen).

Nebraska wanted Fant as a DE and he wants to play TE. I am not sure why Nebraska was not looking at him to play TE. Hope the best for him. Looks like a pretty good athlete.

The new Nebraska staff and Buback weren't a match. Buback (a TE) stated that he doesn't like to block and that wants to go someplace where he doesn't have to. The old staff was ok with that, the new staff has their TEs block. So it wasn't going to work. Which is a bummer, because Riley seems to use TEs a lot (and the old staff over looked TEs more than any offense I have ever seen).

Nebraska wanted Fant as a DE and he wants to play TE. I am not sure why Nebraska was not looking at him to play TE. Hope the best for him. Looks like a pretty good athlete.

That is odd about Buback. If a kid chooses a school based on not wanting to block, maybe it was best to have him go somewhere else as it could be an indication of his attitude.

Reactions: 4norsemen

Interesting. Did new staff still have an offer out to Buback rivals showing so.

On fant also read wants to be orthopedic surgeon and why ucla and Iowa high on his list. Great pick up for the Hawks.

On fant also read wants to be orthopedic surgeon and why ucla and Iowa high on his list. Great pick up for the Hawks.

He is a very good athlete. So yes, with his athleticism, he had an offer from us. I can see why Iowa was recruiting him the hardest and why he chose Iowa. We wanted him at DE as we already have our TE targets/commits.

Iowa is a much better fit and I think he will do well for you guys.

Yes. Buback was stayed committed for awhile, but I think both parties knew after the first meeting that they would go their separate ways. But if Buback stayed committed, I think they would have honored to commit.

Bubock is basically going to be like a WR in ASU's offense. I'm not quite sure why he is going that route as he looks like he could be a very good TE in a traditional offense like Riley's.

Fant is a good pickup by Iowa. I think Nebraska offered him as a DE but recently said he could play either position. Sounds like he is angry good athlete. I think Damon said he had a hawkeye connection through his uncle. I don't know if his uncle was a former player or just a fan though. He said he was open to new offers. Might have to worry about ND if they offer or perhaps ASU.

It's one thing to get the commit and another to keep it. Let's see if KF and company can keep him on board!!

He is a very good athlete. So yes, with his athleticism, he had an offer from us. I can see why Iowa was recruiting him the hardest and why he chose Iowa. We wanted him at DE as we already have our TE targets/commits.

Iowa is a much better fit and I think he will do well for you guys.

Thanks to you and the other positive contributing Nebraska fans. I think the Huskers got a good one in Raridon ... I'm definitely envious that we missed on him. However, I'm ecstatic about the Hawks landing Fant. The Hawks had been a bit depleted at defensive end ... and hence that spot took away some promising guys who could have played tight end for us. Thus, the Hawks still have quite a vacuum to fill at tight end ... and Fant has put himself in a very good position in choosing Iowa.

That's a great get. Hoch and Fant at TE's could be a deadly combination. Both really athletic. Good work to the coaching staff.

Congrats to you all and the Hawks. I hope he works well and does great for you. For whatever reason, he just wasn't a fit for Nebraska or Nebraska wasn't for him. Either way, I hope he turns out to be good for you guys.

While I think this is a solid commit for Iowa, I'll believe he will be a Hawkeye when he signs in February. Iowa and many other programs have lost many recruits between August and Feb. I think Iowa's main concern as stated above is Arizona State and Notre Dame NOT Nebraska with this kid. I could be wrong.

Reactions: lenoxhawks
Damn, I clicked on the thread and all it looked like was an argument about Nebraska's radio presence in Sioux Falls (why I have no idea, probably to do with Farniok?)

Yeah, no ones really freaking out over there, just two guys arguing about Sioux Falls radio stations.

Buback was already a Nebraska verbal when Pelini was fired. When Riley came in he honored all previous verbal commitments. So, yes, you could say he had an offer with the new staff.
He chose to look around and felt he was a better fit at ASU.

"Before Fant’s decision, Iowa’s class ranked 24th nationally according to Rivals."

But according to all our bitter Hawk fans who are so in tuned to who and what kind of players Iowa is recruiting, that's just not possible! :eek:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT